PDA

View Full Version : Glock Extended Slide Stop Lever Questions

seabiscuit
07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Practicing reloads a few days ago, both dry and live fire, I had several reloads where my thumb just slipped off the stock slide stop lever and the slide remained open. Bad news.

Looking to buy an extended lever, and just wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to buy it. I'm not a Glock armorer - can I install it myself? Will I need any tools?

Thanks for the help.

JHC
07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Glockmeister or Glockparts.com come immediatly to mind.

Please don't take any offense but have you been running the Glock long? If not so long and not so hard, it might resolve with experience. The extended has it's following but I see as many contrary as pro the device. I have the blindness of long thumbs that reach the stock OEM with no shift on a Gen 4 and almost none on a Gen 3 and have never missed the part but that's with many years and many many reps.

Folks promote this as a do it yourself with readily available youtube vids to teach it. And yeah, it is that easy. I'd prefer to have a live coach which I had the good fortune to have. But it is that easy with just a punch.

orionz06
07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
While I have little time with both, the Vickers catch is worth looking into as well.

http://www.nettac.com/Vickers-Tactical-Slide-Stop-for-Glock_p_118.html

VolGrad
07-06-2011, 07:28 PM
While I have little time with both, the Vickers catch is worth looking into as well.

http://www.nettac.com/Vickers-Tactical-Slide-Stop-for-Glock_p_118.html

This is the one you want. It's so easy to change this part a drunk monkey could do it. It's true. I've seen it.

seabiscuit
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Please don't take any offense but have you been running the Glock long? If not so long and not so hard, it might resolve with experience. The extended has it's following but I see as many contrary as pro the device. I have the blindness of long thumbs that reach the stock OEM with no shift on a Gen 4 and almost none on a Gen 3 and have never missed the part but that's with many years and many many reps.

No offense taken - I only have around 1K rounds through my Glock. Asking for opinions from people like you with a lot more experience, and I appreciate the reply.

It's not an issue of reaching the lever; I can do that without adjusting grip at all. It's just that I swipe over the lever, and it doesn't move. More practice and more force could solve the issue, maybe, but I'd rather have the confidence that the slide will ALWAYS release.

VolGrad and orionz, I'll take a peek at the Vickers part - thanks for the tip.

seabiscuit
07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
This is the one you want. It's so easy to change this part a drunk monkey could do it. It's true. I've seen it.

Ordered it, and got the extended mag release too in a combo deal. We'll see how they work out, but they look very promising. Thanks!

ToddG
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
The Vickers has worked very well for me on my endurance test gun. I was worried it would be too short now that I've added a Grip Force Adapter but it hasn't affected my reloads negatively as far as I can tell.

VolGrad
07-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Ordered it, and got the extended mag release too in a combo deal. We'll see how they work out, but they look very promising. Thanks!

The combo is the way to go. I have both parts on each of my two primary carry/training GLOCKs.

I have OEM parts on all the rest so they are legal for IDPA SSP and GSSF Amateur divisions.

jlw
07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I had an issue with an extended stop flaring outward allowing me to bump it during recoil causing the slide to lock back. I went back to the regular slide stop on
everything smaller than the full size frame, and I will be replacing those in time.

orionz06
07-06-2011, 11:43 PM
It is really easy to work both strong and weak hand and does not get in the way.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/IMG_4009.jpg

Kyle Reese
07-07-2011, 12:01 AM
I had an issue with an extended stop flaring outward allowing me to bump it during recoil causing the slide to lock back. I went back to the regular slide stop on
everything smaller than the full size frame, and I will be replacing those in time.

I've experienced this as well, so much so that on Sunday JV swapped out the extended stop for the regular one. Problem solved for now.

orionz06
07-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I've experienced this as well, so much so that on Sunday JV swapped out the extended stop for the regular one. Problem solved for now.

The Vickers one is really worth a shot then.

ETA: Having meaty hands I can't sings its praise enough.

Kyle Reese
07-07-2011, 12:10 AM
The Vickers one is really worth a shot then.

ETA: Having meaty hands I can't sings its praise enough.

I think I'm going to order one now. :cool:

SteveK
07-07-2011, 07:29 AM
The Vickers has worked very well for me on my endurance test gun. I was worried it would be too short now that I've added a Grip Force Adapter but it hasn't affected my reloads negatively as far as I can tell.

Dude, that thing is so ugly I wouldn't put it on a High Point.

JV_
07-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Dude, that thing is so ugly I wouldn't put it on a High Point.

If it improves your use of the gear, who cares what it looks like. A Glock will never win a fashion show anyway.

seabiscuit
07-12-2011, 02:46 PM
The Vickers slide stop lever and mag release came in the mail yesterday from NET TAC.

I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to install them last night and had them both installed in less than twenty minutes this morning. Didn't have time for significant dry- or live-fire practice, but they both seem a lot easier to manipulate.

JonInWA
07-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I've had zero problems with the Glock extended slide release, and have it on all of my Glocks. At some point in time, out of curiosity I'll probably try out a Vickers/Tango Down slide release and magazine release on one of my Glocks, but not out of dissatisfaction with the Glock components.

Best, Jon

Super J
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I have the oem Glock extended slide releases on my glocks and love them.

Jay Cunningham
07-20-2011, 08:01 AM
The I used the Vickers/TD part during some coursework this past weekend and it really is about perfect.