PDA

View Full Version : Finally taking the Glock plunge... maybe.

FullEffect1911
07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I figured this was by far the best place to get good advice concerning a M&P or Glock 17. I finally came to the conclusion it's better to own fewer handguns and shoot them a lot, I'm also a recent convert to 9mm from .45. For what it is worth I reload the vast majority of my ammo and will continue to do so, I am also partial to lead bullets for their economy. All of my accuracy testing is done benched with sandbags.

I picked up a S&W M&P9 full size and have been shooting it really well at closer distances (after installing a FRE extractor to cure some extraction failures). However I enjoy shooting lowish pressure 147 grain bullets, and I am getting terrible vertical stringing with my M&P9 at 25 yards benched. Sometimes it will even sail a round off a sheet of copy paper. I tried 147 grain gold dots, a variety of worked up 147 grain lead reloads, and WWB 110 grain FMJ. Nothing I do seems to shoot with any consistent accuracy, rarely I'll get an okay group and then it will scatter them again. Just to make sure it wasn't me I took my 1911 and shot an 1-1/2 group benched. I thought it was the stock barrel, which had bad machining marks in it, and switched to a storm lake barrel. No joy. Long story short I'm nearly sure it is unlocking early. I just can't get behind a pistol that I am not sure if it was me or the gun if it missed the mark.

So I am thinking maybe I'd just swallow my pride and look towards Glock, tremendous durability, reliability and consistent decent accuracy. Well then I discovered the Gen 4 problems. This would be my first Glock and I don't have much opportunity to shoot one before buying. I really like the way the Gen 4's feel though they do point a bit high for me (nothing i can't train away) but I'm really concerned about the reliability now.

So I either wait for the Bar Sto M&P barrel, Hope I get a good Gen 4, or deal with the worse ergonomics of the Gen 3. None of these are an ideal solution and all of them put me down about the same amount of coin. Is the Gen 4 pistols really that problematic right now that it is worth only considering the Gen 3? What kind of velocity does the bullet need to be going in order for the M&P not to unlock early? Do jacketed bullets tend to help the issue due to their higher friction (bit of a theory of mine)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

orionz06
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I would either get S&W to fix your barrel issue or a Gen 3 G17. Working with the one you have now makes the most sense.

JV_
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I know of many folks who've returned guns back to S&W for the unlocking issue, most had their guns returned untouched. I have very little faith in their ability to fix the issue. They're going to test fire the gun with WWB, if it fires that well, they call it OK.

I would get a Gen3 17. If the ergonomics bother you, get a grip reduction.

JDM
07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I know of many folks who've returned guns back to S&W for the unlocking issue, most had their guns returned untouched. I have very little faith in their ability to fix the issue. They're going to test fire the gun with WWB, if it fires that well, they call it OK.

I would get a Gen3 17. If the ergonomics bother you, get a grip reduction.

They touched my gun. Replaced the barrel even, and still didn't fix anydamnthing.

MichaelD
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I guess I'm just lucky. My 2008-manufacture M&P9 fullsize has no accuracy issues at all.

As for moving to a Glock: if it makes you feel more confident in your carry gun, I say go for it. With all the issues surrounding the Gen 4's, I'd get a Gen 3 if I were buying a Glock right now.

FullEffect1911
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
My concern with sending it to S&W is that they won't actually fix the problem, I'm not sure what range they test at or what their specs are for accuracy.

As far as a Gen 3 G17 goes, I assume that they are still good to go as far as accuracy, reliability and durability are concerned? New production Gen3 that is?

FullEffect1911
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I went to my LGS and picked up a Glock 17 Gen 3. To be honest I wish I had bought a Glock a long time ago. The grip size puts the pad of my finger perfectly on the trigger without needing to adjust my grip at all, the grip angle wasn't nearly the concern I thought it would be and I simply love the design. Suffice it to say I think I made a good choice. Thanks for the advice guys!

Jason
07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
One of the instructors I have shot with remarked something to the effect of: I saw a big trend moving toward the glock years ago, then saw a trend toward teh M&P, now I am seeing a trend back to the glock. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Ray Keith
07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I went to my LGS and picked up a Glock 17 Gen 3.

I am looking for another Gen 3 Mod 17, preferably used...what/where is LGS? Having a hard time finding any trade ins right now

Thank you

Kyle Reese
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Local gun store.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

FullEffect1911
07-14-2011, 08:08 AM
The shop owner also has/had a new G17 RTF2 in the case for $500. Northeast PA is a tad far from Texas but this is a good shop :D. I was also talking to them and they mentioned far more people are still buying Gen 3 compared to the Gen 4s. I was actually quite surprised to hear that.