PDA

View Full Version : KISS - What Does it Really Mean?

Jay Cunningham
02-26-2011, 10:38 PM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

This post is written with the AR-15 carbine in mind, but is applicable to other fighting guns, including pistols.

There are two concepts involved here, and they are different:

literal KISS

KISS as a concept

literal KISS = The notion that the rifle must be as basic and simple as possible. This usually winds up in the ultimate expression of a gun with A1 sights, a fixed stock, either no sling or a carry strap and no forward assist. This means the gun istself is as stripped down and as simple as possible.

KISS as a concept = A rifle configured to make life simple for the end-user. It includes all of those items (CCO, light, "tactical" sling) that make life simpler for the end-user in a variety of situations.

So, apples and oranges... you need to determine what "KISS" best suits your needs.

An Aimpoint optic is superior to iron sights (even night sights) in every area that matters. They are extremely reliable and rugged. They are, in fact, KISS.

A 2 point adjustable sling, such as the Vickers model, is essentially just as simple as a parade carry strap but gives much enhanced functionality. It is, in fact, KISS.

Picatinny rails are an incredibly easy and versatile way to attach things to your long gun. They stay put and don't break. They are, in fact, KISS.

A white light on your gun is absolutely essential for locating and identifying potential threats in low-light. SF lights and some others are super-rugged and have long battery lives. They are, in fact, KISS.

Guys looking to have the ultimate lightweight 5.5 lb AR are deluding themselves because they are probably sacrificing capability. While lightweight is nice, I would rather tote a few extra ounces or lbs. if that means my carbine is a more effective weapon.

Which is simpler to use, an Aimpoint or iron sights? The Aimpoint is simpler.

Which is simpler to use, the carry strap or an adjustable 2 point sling? The carry strap sucks for both carrying the rifle and especially for transitioning. The adjustable two point is simpler.

Is shooting a long gun with a hand held light simpler than shooting with a mounted light? The weapon light is simpler.

See, the KISS principle works...

Keep It Elegant Stupid.

The above is not "The Law as Told By Jay"; it is simply an expression of some opinions that I've formed through my training and experience with several very good instructors. Please feel free to discuss and disagree!

TCinVA
02-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I agree entirely with Jay on this. There are certain accessories for firearms that serve to improve the ability of the person using the weapon to intelligently direct fire under the extreme stress of a life or death encounter.

These days a stock carbine with no red dot, no sling, and no white light is slightly more relevant for serious use than the cap and ball revolver.

To paraphrase a much wiser man than myself, wanting to have only what you need to get the job done on the weapon is fine. Wanting nothing because you have an inappropriate love affair with the musket is silly. ;)

LOKNLOD
02-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Off color joke aside, I propose the Simply Capable Realistically Efficient Weapon, or SCREW. :p

Its interesting, if not a little frustrating, to watch the internet battle it out with itself as everyone seems to lay out a weapon configuration and argue its merits. One extreme looks like they outfit their rifle with a random number generator and a Cheaper-Than-Dirt! catalog. The other seems to insist that if you can't shoot a bone-stock carbine like the misbegotten test-tube offspring of Costa and LAV, then adding even minor modifications is just cheating. Fact is, some additions flat out make the gun easier to shoot. There is a happy medium out there somewhere, where people understand the pros/cons of the changes they make, and then end up with guns that are functional for their own needs.

Coincidently, my SCREW-gun has ended up looking a lot like the home defense rifle Jay has proposed elsewhere.

Red Leader
02-27-2011, 03:30 AM
The first thing I think of when KISS comes to mind is having DAO on my defensive pistol, or no manual safety that needs flipping on or off before the pistol becomes ready.

For me, I can imagine that the last thing I want to worry about in an adrenaline dump is fiddling with a safety. Also, as a left-handed user, safeties get a little more complicated.

A lot of pistols incorporate a safety without lefties in mind.

David Armstrong
02-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I think you may have missed part of the point of KISS for me, which is "does the modification/improvement help you for your needs?" For example, while the Aimpoint may be simpler it is a lot more expensive, it is one more item to worry with, and for most folks in their HD/SD situations it won't make that much difference. Same thing with the carry strap. For something that sucks it has worked quite well for a long time. Is there an improved alternative? Sure. Will that improvement matter to most? Probably not.
All these neat new gizmos and gadgets are fun, and for the "tip of the spear" some might make a big difference. But for the common user they just aren't that important and may even give a false sense of ability.

vmi-mo
02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I think you may have missed part of the point of KISS for me, which is "does the modification/improvement help you for your needs?" For example, while the Aimpoint may be simpler it is a lot more expensive, it is one more item to worry with, and for most folks in their HD/SD situations it won't make that much difference. Same thing with the carry strap. For something that sucks it has worked quite well for a long time. Is there an improved alternative? Sure. Will that improvement matter to most? Probably not.
All these neat new gizmos and gadgets are fun, and for the "tip of the spear" some might make a big difference. But for the common user they just aren't that important and may even give a false sense of ability.

It wont make much difference? Its easier to use, better at low/no light, and in most cases allows shooters to perform to higher levels.

PJ

David Armstrong
02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
"....for most folks in their HD/SD situations it won't make that much difference."

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2016, 09:11 AM
2016 Post-PFestivus Necro Bump!

M2CattleCo
09-19-2016, 10:27 PM
I've always told the KISS crowd to take that KISS carbine and go ride a dirtbike 5 miles in the dark, then futz around with locks, junk, dogs, people, maps and various papers. Things like that. All you'd be left with is the last S.

OnionsAndDragons
09-20-2016, 02:27 AM
I definitely think those three simple additions of light, sling, RDS vastly and simply expand a carbine's capabilities. The cost in weight and complexity are so small.

That said, the last thing I'd want to give up is the RDS. A working carbine without an optic is just dumb to me.

Casual Friday
09-21-2016, 12:23 PM
A thread that had great potential, but was allowed to just wither away peacefully with it's dignity intact rather than be completely fucking murdered by David Armstrong.

*Phew* Now that I've got that out of the way. KISS as a concept is how I roll with my HD carbine. Weapon light, sling, and a reliable optic.