PDA

View Full Version : First NRA Action Pistol match

Lon
06-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Reading about the Bianchi Cup on gunnuts got me interested in NRA AP matches. One of our local clubs has a monthly AP match so I decided to try it out to see how I liked it. I decided to shoot my new WC Beretta 92A1. I had every intention of going to the range this week and figuring out where it was hitting and where I need to aim at the various distances, unfortunately work got in the way of that so it didn't happen. I had fun, but didn't do as well as I know I cans. I ended up shooting a 1466/54x.

I did notice a couple of things. First, I don't like the 3 dot sights that come stock. FO front sight with plain black rear are in my future. Second, going from a USPSA mindset where speed can make up for a C hit doesn't work in AP. I ended up having ALOT of time left over on some strings and lower value hits because I rushed myself. I need to work on time management.

Overall, I like the mover stage the best. Not something I get to do very often. Definitely shoot AP again, but it won't be replacing USPSA as my primary gun game.

PPGMD
06-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Fun isn't it? If you can do descently in NRA Action Pistol it will push your accuracy even higher during USPSA matches.

jetfire
06-30-2014, 04:07 PM
I have noticed that most people who shoot USPSA a lot do the best on the Mover.

How did you do on the Plates?

Lon
06-30-2014, 04:25 PM
The plates were my worst stage.

Plates 320
Barricade 403
Mover 398
Practical 345

I absolutely blew the 50 yd strings on the practical. Did well on the practical at 10/15, and then so-so on the 25. Had no idea where to hold on the 50.

On the mover, I was shooting a bit high and only had 1 miss altogether.

Using the allotted time and practicing more distance shooting is on my training agenda. I can replicate all the courses with the exception of the mover. Won't be able to go again for a few months, but I hope to do better when I can go.

jetfire
06-30-2014, 04:32 PM
If it makes you feel better, my first year shooting the Cup was my first NRA AP match, and I shot a 1490-something, IIRC. My best was the Mover, my worst was the Barricade.

The plates are one of those things where it's basically either hero or loser.