PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

TR675
06-26-2014, 11:06 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but I've been enjoying the heck out of the World Cup.

I used to think that soccer is boring. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it's never as boring as beer commercials. I really appreciate being able to watch a 90-minute game in two hours as opposed to committing to 3 1/2 to four hours for a 60 minute game.

I also like that the refs appear to be deaf, dumb and blind, and replays are basically nonexistent. Winning is fun, but nothing brings people together like almost winning but for a blown call that will never be fixed.

Shellback
06-26-2014, 12:00 PM
as opposed to committing to 3 1/2 to four hours for a 60 minute game.

Especially when you consider that the average time the ball is actually in play, in the NFL, is 11 minutes per game. (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406)

I don't normally watch soccer but I'm with you on the World Cup. Go Team USA!

ffhounddog
06-26-2014, 12:27 PM
I still say its boring and lots of little boys acting like they are hurt.

Chuck Whitlock
06-26-2014, 12:30 PM
I lost my taste for sportsball years ago....and never really missed it thereafter.

TR675
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM
I was never a big sports guy, but I'm getting more into it over the last 5 years.

Granted about 50% of my new interest is basically so I can up my trolling game against my Dallas Cowboys superfan buddy.

orionz06
06-26-2014, 12:38 PM
I liked kickball better when it had bases and you could peg a runner with the ball.

jetfire
06-26-2014, 12:56 PM
The problem I have with soccer isn't so much the game itself, although I do find it dull; rather it's that I've yet to meet an American soccer fan that wasn't a huge tool about their fandom.

TCinVA
06-26-2014, 01:02 PM
The problem I have with soccer isn't so much the game itself, although I do find it dull; rather it's that I've yet to meet an American soccer fan that wasn't a huge tool about their fandom.

Person referring to my apathy toward soccer: It's popular in most of the world!!!

Me: So is arranged marriage, eating dung beetles, and defecating in the street. Color me unimpressed, cupcake.

orionz06
06-26-2014, 01:03 PM

It's "futbol", Caleb. Get it right.

Shellback
06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I liked kickball better when it had bases and you could peg a runner with the ball.

Awesome. :)

NickA
06-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Simpsons Explain Soccer For Those Who Love It and…: http://youtu.be/asTgXMFoZ-s

Palmguy
06-26-2014, 01:35 PM
This has been an entertaining World Cup IMO.

I find these arguments:

1.) it's popular in the rest of the world so we should like it as well
2a.) it sucks because everyone else in the world likes it
2b.) everyone else likes it because all you need is a ball to play it

to be equally uncompelling personally. If you like it, fine; if not, fine.

The US team generally does not engage in such nonsense, which makes me proud.

joshs
06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
The US team generally does not engage in such nonsense, which makes me proud.

So much so that they are often criticized by European and South American announcers for failing to go down when they actually are fouled.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but I don't really feel the need to convert anybody. Also, like the Olympics, there is something special about rooting for your country rather than just a professional club team.

jetfire
06-26-2014, 02:54 PM
It's "futbol", Caleb. Get it right.

Oh god I will cut you so bad.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with the game itself, other than I find it tedious to watch. It really is the people, and it's because most of the soccer "fans" I know are also the sort of people who embrace anything European out of some sort of progressive reflex against their perception of redneck America.

I just hope those people never discover F1, because then I'll have to stop watching that. :(

PPGMD
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM

Yeah but they are better actors than many in Hollywood.

Anyways my opinion:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/world_cup/world_cup_with_title.png

5pins
06-26-2014, 03:09 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10500525_10152963826843986_39979930758555775_n.jpg

Tamara
06-26-2014, 03:29 PM

This. It's the same reason I keep my ownership of a Glock and an iPad on the down-low, lest people think I'm one of those people. :D

TR675
06-26-2014, 03:36 PM
It really is the people, and it's because most of the soccer "fans" I know are also the sort of people who embrace anything European out of some sort of progressive reflex against their perception of redneck America.

Seriously though, everything European is pretty sophisticated and great. I especially enjoy their pogroms and cheeses.

jetfire
06-26-2014, 03:38 PM
This. It's the same reason I keep my ownership of a Glock and an iPad on the down-low, let people think I'm one of those people. :D

Same reason I'm very careful with whom I share my love of F1, because the last thing I want is someone to explain to me again, at length, why F1 is just SOOOOOOOO SUPERIOR to NASCAR.

LSP972
06-26-2014, 03:44 PM

You've obviously never met an LSU (college football) fan. Every time I hear one of those zealots proclaim "I bleed purple and gold!!!", my presentation reflex twitches…

TAZ
06-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Sadly this aspect of our culture isn't soccer specific. Just look at all the "I bleed XYZ" idiots out there. There are far more DB Cowboys, Bruins or Yankees fans out there than Houston Dynamo or LA Galaxy fans. They are called fans for a reason.

I've been around a soccer ball since I popped out into the world, but you'll never find me trying to convert anyone or explain how or why soccer is better than Baseball, basketball or whateverball.

LOKNLOD
06-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I just hope those people never discover F1, because then I'll have to stop watching that. :(

Thankfully the fast, gas-guzzling cars with lots of oil-company sponsors are just more monsters destroying mother Gaia - so it's just NASCAR on vacation. Meanwhile the futbol gives them solidarity with the downtrodden but noble third-world poor folks, whom they both romanticize from afar and avoid in person by crossing the street.

Drang
06-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Just look at all the "I bleed XYZ" idiots out there.

Not a sportsball fan. Used to sorta be a baseball fan, but even that wore away eventually. (Sister still resents the fact that my father took me to the All Star Game instead of her.) The Seahawks and the Mariners could have followed the Sonics to Oklahoma and I would have been happy, UW should concentrate on, you know, higher learning, and the euro-ball team (whatever they're called) should not have bothered.
But.
When the Salt Mines sent me to "management training" back in February -- they still haven't taught me anything I didn't know when I went to PLDC -- and they were talking about organizational theory, or something, and told us to "name some successful organizations." So I figured, what the kitten, and said "Seattle Seahawks", they having just won the World Series.

Jeebus crepes, the sour grapes that flowed could have kept the state in vinegar for a year.

jetfire
06-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Thankfully the fast, gas-guzzling cars with lots of oil-company sponsors are just more monsters destroying mother Gaia - so it's just NASCAR on vacation. Meanwhile the futbol gives them solidarity with the downtrodden but noble third-world poor folks, whom they both romanticize from afar and avoid in person by crossing the street.

That actually got me thinking - shouldn't a country like Algiers or Ghana be spending their national soccer team money on something more useful, like not being a 3rd world shithole?

LHS
06-26-2014, 08:47 PM
If I wanted to watch a bunch of wussies try in vain to score for 90 minutes, I'd go to a college bar.

orionz06
06-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh god I will cut you so bad.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with the game itself, other than I find it tedious to watch. It really is the people, and it's because most of the soccer "fans" I know are also the sort of people who embrace anything European out of some sort of progressive reflex against their perception of redneck America.

The folks I despise most are those that I work with or around. They wear flat caps to college bars they are too old to go into in hopes that they will seem like the educated folks returning to enlighten them with their discovery. They know nothing of the game. Not that I was able to call them on it, a young female coworker from Columbia informed me that they are so far off in their discussion of the game that she thought they may be talking about a totally different sport.

Also, like the Olympics, there is something special about rooting for your country rather than just a professional club team.This is cool but I just wish people weren't so douchey about it.

This. It's the same reason I keep my ownership of a Glock and an iPad on the down-low, lest people think I'm one of those people. :D

I see you neglected to mention crafts beers everyday... We all know, Tam... We all know...

Same reason I'm very careful with whom I share my love of F1, because the last thing I want is someone to explain to me again, at length, why F1 is just SOOOOOOOO SUPERIOR to NASCAR.

Dale Jr. would destroy Sebastian Vettel in a fight and you know it.

You've obviously never met an LSU (college football) fan. Every time I hear one of those zealots proclaim "I bleed purple and gold!!!", my presentation reflex twitches…

I've met tons of LSU fans... Only one LSU grad... Strange how that works...

I've been around a soccer ball since I popped out into the world, but you'll never find me trying to convert anyone or explain how or why soccer is better than Baseball, basketball or whateverball.
Baseball is not a sport. No comparison possible, unless folks treat soccer stats like D&D.

PT Doc
06-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Gotta admit though, a night game in Baton Rouge, after those Cajuns have been drinking all day, is quite the hostile environment for opposing teams.

jetfire
06-26-2014, 10:32 PM
The folks I despise most are those that I work with or around. They wear flat caps to college bars they are too old to go into in hopes that they will seem like the educated folks returning to enlighten them with their discovery. They know nothing of the game. Not that I was able to call them on it, a young female coworker from Columbia informed me that they are so far off in their discussion of the game that she thought they may be talking about a totally different sport.

This is cool but I just wish people weren't so douchey about it.

I see you neglected to mention crafts beers everyday... We all know, Tam... We all know...

Dale Jr. would destroy Sebastian Vettel in a fight and you know it.

Baseball is not a sport. No comparison possible, unless folks treat soccer stats like D&D.

I HATE Sebastian Vettel

YVK
06-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Having played it from the time I could run till my mid twenties, I concur: it is a stupid game.
It is only the most popular sport in the world, as is in first, second and third world countries alike.

In regards to the Cup itself, it's been pretty entertaining. I don't remember so many late goals from previous championships. No team that shouldn't have advanced did advance. Stars have fallen and old world teams sent home en masse. Pretty awesome.

orionz06
06-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Soccer is the G42 of the sports world. No one dare mentions it and all of the sudden it's here and they've loved it all along.

jetfire
06-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Having played it from the time I could run till my mid twenties, I concur: it is a stupid game.
It is only the most popular sport in the world, as is in first, second and third world countries alike.

In regards to the Cup itself, it's been pretty entertaining. I don't remember so many late goals from previous championships. No team that shouldn't have advanced did advance. Stars have fallen and old world teams sent home en masse. Pretty awesome.

There are two kinds of countries. Those that love soccer, and the one that has put men on the moon.

Tamara
06-27-2014, 07:01 AM

It's an SEC thing, you wouldn't understand. :p

JAD
06-27-2014, 07:23 AM

You're not hanging out in the right jails.

Palmguy
06-27-2014, 08:26 AM

The fan:grad ratio is far more lopsided for another SEC West team (Bama). It's ridiculous.

YVK
06-27-2014, 08:48 AM
There are two kinds of countries. Those that love soccer, and the one that has put men on the moon.

At least the game offers some health, recreational and entertainment benefits, besides the bragging rights. Moon landing, bragging rights alone.

BobLoblaw
06-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Tournament names like the World Series are equally annoying to that of the Man U jersey-wearing feetball tard mouthing his ode to the pitch. Plus, I really enjoy the thought of possibly beating all the other countries at THEIR most popular sport. "Where you at UK? Oh you didn't make the cut? Here, you can have all my frowny faces."

joshs
06-27-2014, 11:50 AM

While probably true during the time period when we had the capability of putting a man on the moon, the US pretty clearly loves soccer now. Networks are now reporting more viewers for US games than average NBA finals, World Series, or Stanley Cup games. I don't think it's a perfect comparison, since very few people watch MLS games, but a lot more Americans are watching this World Cup than have in the past.

RevolverRob
06-27-2014, 12:14 PM
I like sportsball - Since we moved out of our apartment and canceled cable, I miss the "news" (Sportscenter). That said I don't care much about World Cup. Mostly because any sport where a "Draw" is an acceptable outcome, is for chumps. Win or go home.

-Rob

Chuck Whitlock
06-27-2014, 12:31 PM
You've obviously never met an LSU (college football) fan. Every time I hear one of those zealots proclaim "I bleed purple and gold!!!", my presentation reflex twitches….

Nebraska Husker fans were the same way. Pretty sad that they had absolutely nothing else to hang their hat on.

I think that the rabid fans are what turn me off the most about any of the sports. Otherwise, I am merely ambivalent.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-27-2014, 01:00 PM

Given the reception the World Cup is getting in the states, I have to ask...when did Canada put men on the moon?

jetfire
06-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Given the reception the World Cup is getting in the states, I have to ask...when did Canada put men on the moon?

I lol'd.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-27-2014, 01:18 PM
To be fair, we did put men in Sudbury, ON. The confusion between the two is understandable.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

LSP972
06-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Its beyond strange. We have folks here who are not from here, never went to LSU, yet get positively rabid over anything involving the LSU football team.

A neighbor, two streets over from me, had a bit too much of the grape one Saturday and painted his RV (and most of his driveway) purple and gold... with rattle cans.

Drang
06-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Every Canadian I know can recite from memory the Canadian contributions to the US Space Program, including the Apollo program. Some will go so far as to insist that it was really the Canadian space program.

(Admittedly, all my Canadian friends were made through science fiction fandom, including the guy who introduced me to Mrs. Drang.)

orionz06
06-27-2014, 08:38 PM
The fan:grad ratio is far more lopsided for another SEC West team (Bama). It's ridiculous.

I assume it approaches ∞

ranger
06-27-2014, 08:56 PM

University of GA has the same issue with fan:grad ratio. (Go Jackets!).

Maple Syrup Actual
06-28-2014, 02:22 AM
Every Canadian I know can recite from memory the Canadian contributions to the US Space Program, including the Apollo program. Some will go so far as to insist that it was really the Canadian space program.

(Admittedly, all my Canadian friends were made through science fiction fandom, including the guy who introduced me to Mrs. Drang.)

Okay, that's true. If you look at the makeup of moon-landing era NASA it's definitely heavy on the maple syrup front.

You guys basically adopted the entire Avro Arrow team and gave them a budget, which as Canadians they probably weren't used to having.

TGS
06-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Okay, that's true. If you look at the makeup of moon-landing era NASA it's definitely heavy on the maple syrup front.

You guys basically adopted the entire Avro Arrow team and gave them a budget, which as Canadians they probably weren't used to having.

I was actually thinking of the movie about the Avro Arrow when I read his comment, as well.

But, whatevs about Canadians being in the space program. If it weren't for some pesky bored yokels creating issues in the south, we would have anschlussed the shit out of ya'll in the 1860s, anyway.

Except for French Canada. They can go elsewhere.

(this whole post should be read with a heaping dash of salt and sarcasm, in case anyone was wondering)

will_1400
06-28-2014, 06:49 PM
To be fair, we did put men in Sudbury, ON. The confusion between the two is understandable.

I pose the theory that the Quebecois are mentally on the moon, based on prior experiences with them.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-28-2014, 07:31 PM
I used to live in Montreal. I vouch for the above.

will_1400
06-28-2014, 10:38 PM
I used to live in Montreal. I vouch for the above.

I'm from Michigan. Trust me when I say that even having the entirety of Ontario between us and Quebec isn't much of a buffer from the Quebecois at times.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Coincidentally, my first exposure to quebecois guys was in a strip club in Detroit.

They were really...touchy-feely. I noticed the staff were unimpressed. Some of the staff sure made some impressions on the gropey french dudes, though.

Years later, moving to Montreal on a sudden whim, my biggest fear was that they were going to grope the fk out of my then-girlfriend any time we went out, because that was how the only french guys I'd ever seen acted.

Turns out they were just used to full-contact strip clubs. The regular clubs weren't particularly gropey. I did meet the son of a prominent gangster with a fetish for getting kicked in the testicles, though. So overall, I agree. Strange bunch.

TR675
07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Belgium's up by two.

I take everything back. Soccer sucks.

orionz06
07-01-2014, 05:21 PM
How much longer will people care about this? It is cutting into NHL free agency.

TR675
07-01-2014, 05:25 PM
We've scored and almost tied it up twice! Futbol rocks!

orionz06
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Futbol rocks!

I hate you. In the nice way though.

TR675
07-01-2014, 05:33 PM
We lost. It sucks again.

Great game though.

orionz06
07-01-2014, 05:39 PM
http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10492508_10152492938964911_9103986188210112549_n.j pg

TR675
07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm stealing that.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-01-2014, 07:14 PM
How much longer will people care about this? It is cutting into NHL free agency.

Not up here! Was in bars over the weekend a bunch and 3/4 of the TVs (and all the sound) was NHL post-draft and free agency analysis. Couple of little screens showing some kind of kicking-jogging thing, not sure what that was about.

Just one more reason I'm celebrating Canada Day.

orionz06
07-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Ryan Miller is a good snag for you guys.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I thought that was really interesting. GREAT goalie, obviously. But what does it say that the management thinks it's worth spending the bucks to have him for three years? Maybe they're hoping to have enough development by 2016-17 that we can make serious use of the guy in post-season? Or is it just to provide a learning environment for Lack so the team benefits longer term?

This city's been ready for a rebuild for a couple of years. Too bad it took management this long to catch on.

will_1400
07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Being a hockey player on my base team (right wing grinder), I get the feeling that soccer could stand some improvement. Namely legal body checking and letting players settle their beef on the field with fisticuffs, but I'm clearly biased.

LOKNLOD
07-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Being a hockey player on my base team (right wing grinder), I get the feeling that soccer could stand some improvement. Namely legal body checking and letting players settle their beef on the field with fisticuffs, but I'm clearly biased.

Sounds like a plan to me, as I always say, a little violence never hurt anyone.

Stephen
07-01-2014, 10:10 PM
soccer could stand some improvement. Namely.... letting players settle their beef on the field with fisticuffs

Soccer players fighting... lol.
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/gun-range-slapfight.gif

will_1400
07-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Soccer players fighting... lol.
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/gun-range-slapfight.gif

I seem to recall a soccer player headbutting someone square in the sternum and knocking the guy out (dude taking the headbutt) over the KO'ed dude pulling some BS that injured the headbutter's teammate, but you're pretty much correct.

YVK
07-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Soccer players fighting...

They don't have to, the game's entertaining as is, without junk. Note that hockey players from those parts of the world where game is watched for speed and skill don't do it either...

I seem to recall a soccer player headbutting someone square in the sternum and knocking the guy out

Zinedine Zidane, hit on Materazzi in lost '06 Finals. Remarkable example of sports history; shows how effin stupidity in last minutes of one's last match can overshadow a fantastic career preceding the incident.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-02-2014, 02:53 AM
They don't have to, the game's entertaining as is, without junk. Note that hockey players from those parts of the world where game is watched for speed and skill don't do it either...

Notice those speed-and-skill euro players claw their way desperately into the big leagues - i.e. the NHL - and then struggle to compete there...when is the last time a team with a speed/skill/no violence euro player as captain won the cup? And remember I'm a Vancouverite. I know what I'm talking about here...

I feel like following the example of the runner-ups makes less sense than following the examples of the winners. It's fine if you find soccer adequate the way it is, but the best hockey is not played by guys without grit. It's a game for gladiators, which is why europeans struggle to get taken seriously when they make the big leagues, despite the skills development that the nordic countries push.

Tamara
07-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Wait, is this thread about ice soccer now?

jetfire
07-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Wait, is this thread about ice soccer now?

Ice soccer is the superior version. Because a team from America* won!

*In the sense that they're based in LA.

YVK
07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
...when is the last time a team with a speed/skill/no violence euro player as captain won the cup?

Kopitar being an alternate captain, I am going to say 2014 is the closest answer...

.And remember I'm a Vancouverite. I know what I'm talking about here...

Oh. Condolences on the Sedin sisters.

Now, remember I am from a place where Pavel Datsyuk started off. I didn't notice boys from our clubs struggle that badly in the league, although obviously only the best make it in.

PPGMD
07-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I don't think adopt is the right term, immigrated is probably more correct.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Kopitar being an alternate captain, I am going to say 2014 is the closest answer...

Oh. Condolences on the Sedin sisters.

Now, remember I am from a place where Pavel Datsyuk started off. I didn't notice boys from our clubs struggle that badly in the league, although obviously only the best make it in.

None necessary. We knew going in that they're also high-level soccer players.

Drang
07-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Notice those speed-and-skill euro players claw their way desperately into the big leagues - i.e. the NHL - and then struggle to compete there...when is the last time a team with a speed/skill/no violence euro player as captain won the cup? And remember I'm a Vancouverite. I know what I'm talking about here...

Brains over brawn, it might work for you
But what's a Canadian farm boy to do.... /Warren Z

Stephen
07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Porn viewership by country during World Cup matches: http://imgur.com/a/S3oLw (just graphs, SFW)

TR675
07-08-2014, 04:46 PM
This Germany-Brazil game...

Germany hasn't blitzed like this since 1939.

JHC
07-08-2014, 04:48 PM
This Germany-Brazil game...

Germany hasn't blitzed like this since 1939.

LOL Awesome! I'm diggin' it. "Brazil . . . the nation of the future . . . and always will be."

will_1400
07-08-2014, 05:19 PM
If the Argies win their match tomorrow, I wonder if they'll have flashbacks to that time they thought it was a good idea to tweak The Iron Maiden's nose...

will_1400
07-08-2014, 05:26 PM
And a quick OT jaunt back to hockey...

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/56/56a9df17f1380a07eb5c0a07109aba8cb301810e87f104f716 6d9f33fedfe866.jpg

If you don't get the origin of the reference, do not look it up. If you choose to do so, Urban Dictionary will save you a lot of mental trauma (dramatically NSFW).

RevolverRob
07-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Porn viewership by country during World Cup matches: http://imgur.com/a/S3oLw (just graphs, SFW)

That's awesome.

Steady-Steady-Steady-Kick-Off-Dramatic Drop-Half-time-Dramatic Increase - Getting towards the end uptick in viewership across the board, more porn watching as the losing team begins to lose, by the time the games end it has returned to pre-game level. That would support the idea that soccer IS too long...viewership is strong for a while then gradually drops off.

-Rob

BobLoblaw
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM
The Germany-Brazil game in 11 seconds:
http://youtu.be/RLZUKqpXYzU

RevolverRob
07-13-2014, 05:05 PM
What a truly disgusting lack of sportsmanship by the Germans to end the game today. I watched the entire game (only one this year) and was seriously reminded of why soccer is not a popular sport in America. It is defined by vague and arbitrary rules and ruling, encourages sub-par play, as opposed to American-exceptionalism, and embraces a culture of poor-sportsmanship and cheating.

-Rob

TR675
07-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Well, that was great! Way to go, Germany. Now we can all go back to our regularly scheduled program of Major League Soccer.

JHC
07-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Well, that was great! Way to go, Germany. Now we can all go back to our regularly scheduled program of Major League Soccer.

That was one pretty goal, one touched off his chest. And 40 min earlier that collision between the German goalie and the defender was a thing of beauty!

TR675
07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Oof, that looked like it hurt. You couldn't be more right, that goal was beautiful.

I really enjoyed this World Cup; I go to our local MLS team games pretty regularly but that's more because the tix are cheap than anything else...or it was...

I know soccer isn't to everyone's taste but I've grown to appreciate it. Just watch, one more of these and RevolverRob and Orion are going to be falling all over themselves talking about how great a game it is ;).

jc000
07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Great win, great goal – as a long-time Germany fan (back to when Klinsmann still played at the international level) I think they well deserved the cup this tournament.

JHC
07-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Oof, that looked like it hurt. You couldn't be more right, that goal was beautiful.

I really enjoyed this World Cup; I go to our local MLS team games pretty regularly but that's more because the tix are cheap than anything else...or it was...

I know soccer isn't to everyone's taste but I've grown to appreciate it. Just watch, one more of these and RevolverRob and Orion are going to be falling all over themselves talking about how great a game it is ;).

I still like poking fun at it but I grew to appreciate it as one son (now an 11B in an Abn bde and a crossfitting beast) took to it and played it through club and high school. I can watch high end soccer without irony. lol

Palmguy
07-13-2014, 06:57 PM
What a truly disgusting lack of sportsmanship by the Germans to end the game today.

What are you talking about? Specifically. I don't know what you're referring to.

I watched the entire game (only one this year) and was seriously reminded of why soccer is not a popular sport in America. It is defined by vague and arbitrary rules and ruling, encourages sub-par play, as opposed to American-exceptionalism, and embraces a culture of poor-sportsmanship and cheating.

-Rob

RevolverRob
07-13-2014, 07:43 PM
What are you talking about? Specifically. I don't know what you're referring to.

Schweinsteiger's complete and utter lack of sportsmanship with that utterly obvious flop to end the game: http://www.rantsports.com/soccer/2014/07/13/2014-world-cup-bastian-schweinsteigers-down-time-an-embarrassment-amidst-germanys-title/

Not a single player touched him. It was a performance worthy of an Oscar. He goes down laying on the ground while the clock ticks away, only after his team has scored their goal, denying Argentina a chance to try to score in the final minutes, by taking the ball out of play.

YVK
07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I think I missed that too. It was well officiated, actually well played, equal opportunity game.

joshs
07-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Schweinsteiger's complete and utter lack of sportsmanship with that utterly obvious flop to end the game: http://www.rantsports.com/soccer/2014/07/13/2014-world-cup-bastian-schweinsteigers-down-time-an-embarrassment-amidst-germanys-title/

Not a single player touched him. It was a performance worthy of an Oscar. He goes down laying on the ground while the clock ticks away, only after his team has scored their goal, denying Argentina a chance to try to score in the final minutes, by taking the ball out of play.

The time he spent didn't at all change the amount of time left in the game, the head referee keeps the official time and injuries don't affect the clock. While I admit it's a problem, it's pretty much guaranteed in a 90 minute game with only one break and limited substitution.

orionz06
07-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Isn't that just soccer?

RevolverRob
07-13-2014, 08:14 PM
The time he spent didn't at all change the amount of time left in the game, the head referee keeps the official time and injuries don't affect the clock. While I admit it's a problem, it's pretty much guaranteed in a 90 minute game with only one break and limited substitution.

I wasn't keeping exact count, but between the time laid on the ground and the German goalie taking his sweet time to get the ball back in play, the amount of time left for the Argentinians certainly did not seem to match the amount run down off the clock. Regardless, just play on, if your team is in control and can win, then play and win.

Honestly, I think this could largely be rectified by have multiple officials on the field (besides line judges), like we see in football or basketball, to better call the game. Instant replay on offsides calls would be nice as well, but that would require considerable changes to the sport and is not necessary to get a better game. Penalties for flopping would even better.

-Rob

jc000
07-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Argentina had 90 minutes to win the game. 120 actually.

Great, classic cup final.

YVK
07-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Regardless, just play on, if your team is in control and can win, then play and win.

-Rob

Agree.

This is exactly what I say every time I see a quarterback taking a knee.

Palmguy
07-14-2014, 02:23 AM

I'll have to go back and watch what led to that particular play, however I will say that Schweinsteiger was involved in multiple full speed collisions towards the end of the game, including being literally punched in the face hard enough to draw blood. He was by far the most banged up player on the field.

I'm not going to say there's never any gamesmanship by the leading side as time winds down, but the final whistle was blown after 123' when only 2 minutes of stoppage time were announced.

Messi's free kick was likely going to be Argentina's final opportunity even without anyone going down, and he absolutely wasted it by sending it soaring from over thirty yards away instead of playing it into the box.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
07-14-2014, 05:18 AM
I was inundated with about a dozen texts / emails in German informing me that they'd won. I didn't have the heart to tell my fam / friends in Germany that I couldn't care less.

BLR
07-14-2014, 06:14 AM
I was inundated with about a dozen texts / emails in German informing me that they'd won. I didn't have the heart to tell my fam / friends in Germany that I couldn't care less.

Same here.

LittleLebowski
07-14-2014, 06:21 AM

That wasn't the only acting performance during the game and I don't think his facial injury was an accident.

TAZ
07-14-2014, 03:34 PM
I wasn't keeping exact count, but between the time laid on the ground and the German goalie taking his sweet time to get the ball back in play, the amount of time left for the Argentinians certainly did not seem to match the amount run down off the clock. Regardless, just play on, if your team is in control and can win, then play and win.

Honestly, I think this could largely be rectified by have multiple officials on the field (besides line judges), like we see in football or basketball, to better call the game. Instant replay on offsides calls would be nice as well, but that would require considerable changes to the sport and is not necessary to get a better game. Penalties for flopping would even better.

-Rob

For injuries and substitutions the referees generally stop the clock. The rules of the game state that there will be 90 minutes of play divided into 2 equal halves. Substitutions and injuries aren't considered play. This is why you always see the extra minutes in a half or over time period. Before the change to the rules allowing for ball boys and the use of multiple balls during a game we used to stop the clock for balls blasted into the stands. That doesn't happen anymore unless some brainless fat kid decides to smother a ball and delay play. It may not be dead nuts accurate it's better than some.

Replays are an impossibility in soccer. It's supposed to be a non stop game. You can have replay for certain things like goals, but what are u going to do for offsides? You can take a goal away, but you can't give one cause you cant rewind time and put the player in exactly the same circumstance.

Don't remember the dive Schweinsteiger took, but to blame Argentinas lack of ability to put the ball into the net for 119 minutes on that is grasping at straws. Higuain had 2 chances and missed them both. Messi had chances and missed. Goofy hair boy had a chance and missed.

I do hate the diving that goes on in soccer. Not only because it's childish, but because it hamper a refs ability to protect players. Hard to know when someone is really hurt when everyone tumbles and cries like a baby. I wish FIFA and the various high $$ leagues would issue fines and cards based on game reviews. Wanna bet when people like Ronaldo, Robben, or any other "star" would be sitting out games for card accumulation due to diving issued based on video the diving would diminish.

My biggest rant re the whole WC is the fans crying after a loss. What a bunch of loosers. IMO you should hand over your fat man card if you're caught on TV crying over a freaking game.

RevolverRob
07-14-2014, 05:07 PM
For the record, I don't recall saying that I felt the Argentinians should have won the game or the Germans didn't earn their win. I did think that the Argentinians were robbed a bit at the end, but fully agree that Messi blew their final chance. I bemoaned the lack of class shown by the German players at the end of the game and the lack of class generally shown by the winning team when time gets tight in soccer. I agree with the assessment that the Argentinians had 120 minutes to win the game and didn't. In fact I complained the whole game that the Argentinians appeared to have shown up to "Try to not lose the World Cup" as opposed to "win it".

The Germans did play a brilliant cup and schooled the lesser teams. It's a shame the Argentinians really did not show up to play. I doubt, however, that Lionel Messi will go his whole career without a World Cup win.

-Rob

YVK
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Argentina didn't show up to play? More scoring chances than Germany in first half, pretty solid control over game in the first part of a second half, Germany needed to score an insane goal 26 min into OT to win it?
They showed up OK, they didn't score when they had their chances, both teams had fantastic defensive lines, that's all to it. Last Cup final Spain controlled the ball for like 70% against Germany and still had to go to OT for that one Iniesta's goal; no one said Germans didn't show up. You play the game the opponent lets you to play.
Messi has this talent to show who he is and why, yet still disappoint in a Cup.

Cacafuego
07-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Goofy hair boy had a chance and missed.

I was glad Argentina lost, just because of Senor Schmuckatelli's rat tail. For pity's sake...

Drang
07-16-2014, 09:58 PM
My biggest rant re the whole WC is the fans crying after a loss. What a bunch of loosers. IMO you should hand over your fat man card if you're caught on TV crying over a freaking game.

Football War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_War)