PDA

View Full Version : Kinston resident recalls extraordinary experiences in Army

Kyle Reese
07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Kinston resident recalls extraordinary experiences in Army (http://www.kinston.com/news/kinston-74888-recalls-army.html)

Alrighty then....:rolleyes:

JHC
07-05-2011, 11:35 AM
The milblog Blackfive is all over this and they are pretty skeptical since the Ranger Association and other SOCOM connections have indicated they have no idea who the most prolific sniper in history is. Not sure how it turns out yet.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2011/07/super-sniper-emerges-in-fayetteville-w-316-confirmed-kills.html#comments

and the guys at SOCNET

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=103292

dookie1481
07-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Pretty stupid considering how close he is to Bragg and the fact that he has a gym where he can easily be found.

Josh Runkle
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
"Source: Harris’ DD214 Form" Hmmm... possible, but not plausible...

...and he claims to have 316 CONFIRMED kills? Hmmm....

Kyle Reese
07-05-2011, 02:07 PM
"Source: Harris’ DD214 Form" Hmmm... possible, but not plausible...

...and he claims to have 316 CONFIRMED kills? Hmmm....

I didn't know that kills were listed on a DD214.

Wheeler
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
With the exception of the Medal of Honor, this guy makes Audie Murphy look like a wannabe. I see the SOCOM community is suitably fired up, and also the article has disappeared. Good for them!

JM Campbell
07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
FBI/DOJ should pay the guy a visit if the story doesn't check out.

This shit makes me sick.

dookie1481
07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
With the exception of the Medal of Honor, this guy makes Audie Murphy look like a wannabe. I see the SOCOM community is suitably fired up, and also the article has disappeared. Good for them!

It's still up.

dookie1481
07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
FBI/DOJ should pay the guy a visit if the story doesn't check out.

This shit makes me sick.

I can see some batt boys paying him a visit as well...

Kyle Reese
07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Do reporters do any fact checking prior to submitting their stories for publication?

TCinVA
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Posing is inherently stupid.

Posing as a guy who did a lot of high speed stuff is more stupid.

Posing as a guy who won a bunch of medals for doing high speed stuff is stupider still.

Posing as a guy who won a bunch of medals for doing high speed stuff in the press is...well...you get the idea.

ranburr
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
If I read that right he claims to have spent his entire career in a Ranger Bn. Not possible. He also claimed to have been wounded in Desert Storm. Not possible if he really was in a Ranger Bn. The Rangers didn't deploy to Desert Storm. 300+ confirmed kills? Maybe if he called in an artillery strike on a thousand sun bathers in the open.

dookie1481
07-05-2011, 05:59 PM
If I read that right he claims to have spent his entire career in a Ranger Bn. Not possible. He also claimed to have been wounded in Desert Storm. Not possible if he really was in a Ranger Bn. The Rangers didn't deploy to Desert Storm. 300+ confirmed kills? Maybe if he called in an artillery strike on a thousand sun bathers in the open.

According to wikipedia, Alpha and Bravo Cos. of 1st Bn. did.

JHC
07-05-2011, 06:05 PM
According to wikipedia, Alpha and Bravo Cos. of 1st Bn. did.

The Rangers on SOCNET agree. But they report the Rangers did not sustain any casualties so his Purple Heart story fails. This guys story is epic FAIL weak and he's getting smoked now.

ranburr
07-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Now that you mention it, I think I remember them sending the company under the condition that they were going to be used solely for Scud hunting. There was a pretty big behind the scenes stink at the time because the Regimental commander did not want his Rangers sent. I don't remember the exact details as to why. I had a buddy in their 3 shop who used to fill me in. Maybe somebody here remembers the details?

Wheeler
07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
It's still up.

I get a 404 error when I click on the link, but when I go to the archives, I found this: http://www.kinston.com/news/kinston-74920-story-questions.html

NickA
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Just checked the socnet thread linked above and there's lots of updates, those guys are on him like white on rice. The paper is working on an updated story and apparently someone has already pushed it to Ranger HQ. This guy's in for a world of hurt.

dookie1481
07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I get a 404 error when I click on the link, but when I go to the archives, I found this: http://www.kinston.com/news/kinston-74920-story-questions.html

Yeah it's down now. Funny, on the main page was a blurb saying the story has been pulled, yet in the sidebar was a link to it.

Josh Runkle
07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I didn't know that kills were listed on a DD214.

I wasn't saying they were. I was saying that some of his story, while possible is not plausible, and that the reporter appears to have seen a DD214 (lending to some credibility...at least more than someone just posting something on the internet)...but his story loses all plausibility when he claims to have 300some "confirmed" kills. While some ninja warrior hero may possibly (but not plausibly) have that many kills, no one has that many "confirmed" kills.

Josh Runkle
07-06-2011, 10:16 PM
no one has that many "confirmed" kills.

...since WWII.

Kyle Reese
07-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I wasn't saying they were. I was saying that some of his story, while possible is not plausible, and that the reporter appears to have seen a DD214 (lending to some credibility...at least more than someone just posting something on the internet)...but his story loses all plausibility when he claims to have 300some "confirmed" kills. While some ninja warrior hero may possibly (but not plausibly) have that many kills, no one has that many "confirmed" kills.

The reporter failed to properly investigate his claims, or conduct any sort of due diligence.

This is how alot of these posers are caught- they just can't help themselves with their outlandish claims. Had this guy claimed he was a support guy with no combat time, no one would have given him a second glance.

There was a case on LF a few years ago similar to this, a PFC claiming to be an SF sniper, posing with a Browning A-Bolt and 3x9 scope for his hometown newspaper. Much hilarity ensued when the story was forwarded to his Chain of Command.

JM Campbell
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
If you could PM me a link to that thread please. I need my comedy for the evening there isn't crap on the tube tonight.

Kyle Reese
07-06-2011, 10:22 PM
...since WWII.

Simo Hayha was the man. 505 confirmed.

Hell, Vasily Zaitsev was credited with 242 Axis soldiers killed during Stalingrad.

Slavex
07-07-2011, 12:20 AM
So, ok I get he's a douchebag for the bullshit and deserves all the bad press he's getting and will get. But I notice comments about the police being contacted, is this guys fakery illegal in the US? Kudos if it is, can someone give me a Coles Notes version of what kind of charges he could face? I've run into more than a few of these types up here, a few have been exposed, others fade away or we ignore. Common theme, which this guy ignored, is the whole "my name was changed to protect my family" or something similar.

Kyle Reese
07-07-2011, 12:30 AM
So, ok I get he's a douchebag for the bullshit and deserves all the bad press he's getting and will get. But I notice comments about the police being contacted, is this guys fakery illegal in the US? Kudos if it is, can someone give me a Coles Notes version of what kind of charges he could face? I've run into more than a few of these types up here, a few have been exposed, others fade away or we ignore. Common theme, which this guy ignored, is the whole "my name was changed to protect my family" or something similar.

Up until fairly recently, this guy could have been prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. (http://www.homeofheroes.com/herobill/hr3352.html)

Alas, it was ruled unconstitutional in 2010.

I would think that individuals who falsify or misrepresent military related claims/awards/status for personal benefit or gain could still be prosecuted for fraud.

will_1400
07-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Up until fairly recently, this guy could have been prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. (http://www.homeofheroes.com/herobill/hr3352.html)

I would think that individuals who falsify or misrepresent military related claims/awards/status for personal benefit or gain could still be prosecuted for fraud.

Couldn't Jamie Smith's family file a lawsuit against this douchebag since his "story" involved dishonoring CPL Smith's memory?

dookie1481
07-07-2011, 03:15 AM

I believe that the fake Purple Heart commendations and fake DD-214s are a BIG no-no...and if he received benefits, watch out.

ranburr
07-07-2011, 04:41 AM
I remember one guy from CO (I think), who was big in the VFW/American Legion. He claimed that Reagan presented him the M.O.H. in a private ceremony. He got exposed and I believe did jail time. The owner of Stryder knives also got caught making false claims about having been in the Ranger Rgt.

JHC
07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Kinston paper round two:

http://www.kinston.com/news/story-74947-ranger-contest.html

Wheeler
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
“Based on the information we now have, it appears that in attempting to publish a story highlighting the bravery of an American fighting man on the Fourth of July weekend, The Free Press instead became the victim of a pretty elaborate lie,” Patrick Holmes, editor and publisher of The Free Press, said.

Well, that rather neatly absolves the paper of any responsibility, doesn't it?

JHC
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Well it was a 22 year old staff writer on her fourth story ever. Experience is the best teacher and she's learned a lot.

F-Trooper05
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Well it was a 22 year old staff writer on her fourth story ever. Experience is the best teacher and she's learned a lot.

No doubt. Plus if the story hadn't been published this scumbag would never have gotten his comeuppance.

Kyle Reese
07-08-2011, 01:52 AM
One would come to the conclusion that the SEALs, CAG, etc were the largest units in their respective organizations, given the sheer number of people who falsely claim having been members. :rolleyes:

Wheeler
07-08-2011, 05:04 AM

and the articles written by staff writers are, or should be reviewed by an editor before being published...

jetfire
07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
One would come to the conclusion that the SEALs, CAG, etc were the largest units in their respective organizations, given the sheer number of people who falsely claim having been members. :rolleyes:

There's a quote from Steve Waterman that goes something like "there were only about 500 SEALs active in Vietnam and I've met all 200,000 of them."

JHC
07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
and the articles written by staff writers are, or should be reviewed by an editor before being published...

Oh your are right that is very true. Editor has apologized profusely on SOCNET.

dookie1481
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Oh your are right that is very true. Editor has apologized profusely on SOCNET.

According to a guy of BARFCOM that knows the editor, he was on vacation when the story was published...he is understandably quite embarrased about the situation.