PDA

View Full Version : Beach gun?

theJanitor
06-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Looks like I'm going to be spending alot of time in and around the piers/water. Any suggestions for a pocket gun/load/holster? I'm thinking of a 642, but worried about the alloy frame. I don't see a 1.875" barreled, stainless, Jframe on S&W's website.

I would like a combo that's corrosion resistant, and easy to maintain after being dunked. Any suggestions?

jetfire
06-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Serious answer: is a gun really the best option? Depending on what you're doing or why you're there, I don't know if a gun would be my go-to for beach carry.

JonInWA
06-23-2014, 01:45 PM
I'd suggest a Glock G19 or G26.

Best, Jon

theJanitor
06-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Caleb, you're right. I should have said "Boat Gun". If there's no viable choice, I'll reconsider the tool

theJanitor
06-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Jon, I was shying away from an auto, as I thought it would be harder to service the gun/magazine. Not to mention, the cost of replacing the chambered round if I were to unload it every night before cleaning. I do have a 26 that I could press into service

cclaxton
06-23-2014, 01:49 PM
This one...for being ON the Beach...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMJn5F5lmnoHfnsQxEKa8cyGsEIYj h-DtTqGD9yU7gJAhb7f6C5V8SAi3231LLtFO6PqdkdreU&usqp=CAE

This one when not: http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/94SS2UL_01.jpg

Cody

TR675
06-23-2014, 02:12 PM
A Kimber squirt gun and a Taurus? Que?

cclaxton
06-23-2014, 02:39 PM
A Kimber squirt gun and a Taurus? Que?
if the Kimber pepper gun gets stolen or lost while ON the beach, no big deal. The Taurus is cheap, stainless, and no big loss if it gets dropped in sand or salt water, easy to pocket carry, and no big deal if it goes in the drink. Spray it down with WD-40 to prevent water getting in.
Cody

JHC
06-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Serious answer: is a gun really the best option? Depending on what you're doing or why you're there, I don't know if a gun would be my go-to for beach carry.

I'm missing something. Why wouldn't a gun be the better plan A for beach carry if possible to do so? Plan A never requires there to be no Plan B (blade, OC, etc)

JV_
06-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Spray it down with WD-40 to prevent water getting in.It's good for preventing primers from going off too.

JonInWA
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
It's actually easier to field strip, let alone detail disassemble a Glock compared to a revolver (if you have to do anything beyond swinging open the cylinder)-which can be important if you get sand or salt water in the innards of anything. I've found that 9mm rounds in a Glock are far more resistant to bullet set-back than .45 ACP cartridges in, say, a 1911.

Given its corrosion resistance, low maintenance and lubrication requirements, and ease of use, I'd recommend that you simply go with the G26 that you already have in hand.

Best, Jon

pangloss
06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
I took my G26 to the beach the last time I went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

okie john
06-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Looks like I'm going to be spending alot of time in and around the piers/water. Any suggestions for a pocket gun/load/holster?

What will you be doing there? Is it an NPE? How are you required to dress?

Okie John

Gadfly
06-23-2014, 03:01 PM
It's good for preventing primers from going off too.

I had always heard WD-40 and other oils would kill primers. But I saw this test on "the box-o-truth" and it made me re think it.
I am not sure how scientifically valid the test is, but it is worth checking out the page...

From the page:
------------------------
Lessons learned:
1. Was this test "fair"? No, absolutely not.

It was about ten times more severe than any normal situation, where oil might come into casual contact with a cartridge. No one puddles oil on the primers of their ammunition for 6 weeks at a time. This test was a Worse Case Scenario.

Might different ammunition and different oils react differently than those in this test? Yes, that is possible.

2. Will casual oil likely invade and "kill" primers in cartridges? No. This rumor is greatly exaggerated.

3. Is it possible that in some case, under special circumstances, that oil might kill a primer in loaded ammo? Maybe. But it would have to be a worse scenario than this one.

4. Should we then just get oil all over our ammunition? No, of course not. There is no need to court disaster. I will continue to keep my ammunition as dry as possible.

But I won't be paranoid about it any more."
-------------------------------

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

cclaxton
06-23-2014, 03:05 PM
It's good for preventing primers from going off too.
Even on rimfire?
Cody

jetfire
06-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Caleb, you're right. I should have said "Boat Gun". If there's no viable choice, I'll reconsider the tool

If you have to conceal, I'd rock a Glock 26 or something similar. If you don't, an 870 Marine is pretty much tops.

Tamara
06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Everyone knows Garand is best boat gun.

NETim
06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/81/Mp40navarone1.jpg

NETim
06-23-2014, 04:26 PM

Yeah, if you're interested in making giant fireballs* out of compressed air tanks. Garlands aren't good for much else.

*Oh wait, that's Hollywood.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkhtTPU9KjM

It appears Garands can't even do that.

Dropkick
06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
if the Kimber pepper gun gets stolen or lost while ON the beach, no big deal. The Taurus is cheap, stainless, and no big loss if it gets dropped in sand or salt water, easy to pocket carry, and no big deal if it goes in the drink. Spray it down with WD-40 to prevent water getting in.
Cody

Ooooo! Why not the best of both and then some:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/82881.jpg

TR675
06-23-2014, 04:33 PM

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

orionz06
06-23-2014, 04:56 PM

Okie John

This is quite critical.

JV_
06-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Even on rimfire?If it gets past the bullet and case, but it'd be unlikely - unless it was soaked in it.

IME - It tends to gum up on working parts over time. It has no business around firearms.

GJM
06-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Starting in a week, my wife and I have beach plans. She will have her Guide Gun and me a 1301. We are going to the beach on the Alaska Peninsula.

orionz06
06-23-2014, 05:12 PM
If it gets past the bullet and case, but it'd be unlikely - unless it was soaked in it.

IME - It tends to gum up on working parts over time. It has no business around firearms.

Given that it is a penetrating oil designed to displace water and that 22 bullets are almost always loose on the brass I have no doubts that it would kill a .22 round in short order.

I'll give it a shot later this week, maybe spray 5 rounds and check one each day.

Tamara
06-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I'll give it a shot later this week, maybe spray 5 rounds and check one each day.

I like this kind of science.

theJanitor
06-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Nope just standard CCW parameters. I will be in swim trunks (with a secure pocket) or cargo shorts. Probably in a t-shirt or polo, but sometimes without a shirt. I'll be mostly on the deck or pier, but may end up in the water often. Primarily deckhand type chores

Odin Bravo One
06-23-2014, 06:40 PM
I was always a fan of the 686 for carrying a gun on/around beach type areas. A little BoeShield for corrosion resistance, because even Stainless will rust given enough time in/around saltwater.

Sigfan26
06-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Old school Glock Tenifer (gen2 with very coarse texture) has held up to liters of sweat without rusting for me... I'd look for a gen2 g17/19/26.

JV_
06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
If you're using a Glock, choose your aftermarket sights wisely. Some brands, like Warren, are more prone to rusting than others.

JHC
06-23-2014, 07:17 PM
It's actually easier to field strip, let alone detail disassemble a Glock compared to a revolver (if you have to do anything beyond swinging open the cylinder)-which can be important if you get sand or salt water in the innards of anything. I've found that 9mm rounds in a Glock are far more resistant to bullet set-back than .45 ACP cartridges in, say, a 1911.

Given its corrosion resistance, low maintenance and lubrication requirements, and ease of use, I'd recommend that you simply go with the G26 that you already have in hand.

Best, Jon

+1 When I've been recreating where immersion was likely I went with a G19. Everything shot up fine when testing afterwards.

theJanitor
06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I thought if I could find a stainless Jframe , I could unload the cylinder, pull the grip and rinse it out and re-oil easily. Aren't they dishwasher safe?

ffchewy17
06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I am at the beach at least once a week and on the water ; be it fishing , kayaking, SUP, or Surfing, and my go to carry is a S&W 442 w/ CT grips in a Dark Star AIWB w/ the metal clip. The only time the S&W is not on me is when I'm heading into the water. The S&W carries better for me in board shorts than my 26 or 19. No rusting problems as if yet, I use Fireclean only. The holster is what makes this method of carry possible with board shorts. I'm in board shorts for the better part of 7 months every year and there are lots of beach approaches, piers, boat docks and inlets where I wouldn't want to be without a pistol.

JV_
06-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Aren't they dishwasher safe?

I know of some Glock people take pride in washing their guns in the dishwasher, but it's a bad idea to mix toxic chemicals in a unit that you'll use to clean your dishes.

theJanitor
06-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Agreed, and I would never want to incur the wife's wrath if she ever found a pistol in there.

LSP972
06-23-2014, 08:11 PM
I had always heard WD-40 and other oils would kill primers. But I saw this test on "the box-o-truth" and it made me re think it.
I am not sure how scientifically valid the test is, but it is worth checking out the page...

And, the box'o'BS strikes again.

Penetrating oils/sprays/whatever have a long and distinguished track record of killing ammunition in firearms on which it is applied/sprayed/etc. I personally know of three such instances, one on an M-66 I examined.

Croesus
06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
I've spent a fair amount of time around the water in S. Florida, amidst the heat, humidity and bugs. I used a 642 & 442 with good results. They both will require diligence to fight off the rust. I used Ballistol to clean/lube and it worked well. Try the Wilderness Products Safepacker -- no its not terribly AIWB tactical, but it will float with a loaded 642 and two speed strips of 38 Special. If I knew I was going into the water, I put the revolver into a heavy duty ziplock. Again, not tactical nor a fast draw -- but I did have a gun. The Glock would be easier to strip and clean if sand entered into the works, but I never had that issue.

Best of luck. I don't recall if you asked about ammo -- I always used Speer 135 +P GDHP or the Buffalo Bore 158 LSWCHP non +P version.

Odin Bravo One
06-23-2014, 08:38 PM
When I've been recreating where immersion was likely I went with a G19. Everything shot up fine when testing afterwards.

When I've been immersing where shooting was likely, I have specifically avoided Glocks.......they failed to shoot up often enough that I would not choose it on purpose for the prescrbied environment.

JAD
06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
. We are going to the beach on the Alaska Peninsula.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/esa8egen.jpg

LSP552
06-23-2014, 08:53 PM
If it can get dunked, it's hard to beat a Glock. I'm a "recreational" boat and beach guy, spending lots of time on a bay boat and a fair amount of time on the beach. If I'm in the boat, there is a Glock with me. On the beach it depends on who I'm with and if I'm going in the water. A Glock is so much easier to service than a revolver if it jumps overboard. I don't take a pistol swimming on purpose.

Ken

jetfire
06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
On the topic of dunking guns, I've dunked a couple of M9s that shot fine after said dunking. In salt water.

RevolverRob
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
How well do ultrasonic cleaners work after a gun has been submerged? That might be a better option than a new gun.

FWIW, I've carried the same 642 in Texas for the past 9 summers, usually in an IWB without a t-shirt, against the body or in the pocket. I clean my gun thoroughly twice a year and spray it with Corrosion X. Corrosion X definitely works really well. Use it in a well ventilated place, it stinks to high kitten. Keep it away from ammo, it will kill it fast. I spray the gun down, wipe it dry, use grease on the internals, and make sure the chambers are dry. I run Remington 158-grain +P LHPs, because I like the nickel cases for corrosion resistance and easier extraction.

Edit: I'm not really a beach/marine water guy. But the 642 goes everywhere else, including lots of excavation work in the desert of west Texas and it's been dunked a couple of times in a friend's pool on accident (and chlorine is NOT kind to guns).

-Rob

LSP972
06-24-2014, 07:19 AM
A Glock is so much easier to service than a revolver if it jumps overboard.

This^. I was never a SEAL, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn in a long time. But I have quite a bit of experience "de-watering" sidearms that have spent a shift (or longer) in a deluge of rain. A semi-auto wins that game, hands-down… particularly a polymer frame example.

Cooper related an interesting aside regarding this. In the 60s, he and some colleagues made a canoe trip down the Rio Balsas in Mexico. They had innumerable portages, where they had to get out of the canoes and hump everything around snags/blockages in the river. As a result, their sidearms were immersed almost daily. Cooper stated that the semi-autos carried were relatively easily to clean up, but the one revolver required total disassembly each time due to the fine river silt accumulating in the action.

That said… if I was a "beach person" (and I most assuredly am NOT- most beaches are carpeted with kittenholes), I'd keep a trusty J frame AirLite on my person; but I'd have some combat tupperware handy in the bag, etc.

As much as I don't want to admit it, you really cannot beat a Glock for most hostile environments… because any monkey can detail-strip one in five minutes and clear out any offending dirt/sand/gradueaux and get it back up-to-speed quickly. Plus, they generally will work for a while without any lube; I would think that's important in a sandy environment.

However… Sean, I would be interested in hearing details on why the Glocks in your experience didn't fire. Sand/etc. gumming up the striker, or something similar?

Crow Hunter
06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
When I've been immersing where shooting was likely, I have specifically avoided Glocks.......they failed to shoot up often enough that I would not choose it on purpose for the prescrbied environment.

Because of the striker getting slowed down by water and failing to detonate primers or something else?

Just curious from an academic standpoint.

I always figured that hammer fired guns would be better from full immersion because of the greater mass and thereby inertia of the hammer vs a striker and just wondered if your experience matched my hypothesis.:)

okie john
06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Nope just standard CCW parameters. I will be in swim trunks (with a secure pocket) or cargo shorts. Probably in a t-shirt or polo, but sometimes without a shirt. I'll be mostly on the deck or pier, but may end up in the water often. Primarily deckhand type chores

I spent a fair amount of time swimming with guns when I was in the Army. Here's what I remember from the experience:

In addition to being corrosive in and of itself, saltwater in the surf zone is a slurry of very fine water-borne sand, silt, and other stuff that has no place inside your pistol. Every time you go in the drink, detail strip your pistol and make sure that it's truly clean. Detail stripping a S&W revolver is a drag, so I'd go with a G26, a Shield, or the like. Also, if you choose a Glock, replace the standard spring cups with marine spring cups. They're meant to ensure reliability in wet conditions. I live in a rainy, wet climate, so all of my Glocks have them.
Take enough of your carry ammo to replace your basic load if you go overboard. Military ammo is sealed against water. Civilian ammo may not be.
Have a knife, ideally a fixed blade that's at least partially serrated, at all times when you're around the water. You can get entangled in all kind of ugly stuff in the surf zone (parts of nets, lines that found their way overboard, nylon webbing, etc.) and you may need to get out of it in a hurry. For personal safety, a knife may be more important than a pistol.
Knives and pistols don't float. Keep them on lanyards.
Even if you don't go into the water, you still need to clean your gear. The wind on the beach kicks up a lot of fine sand, and it can carry that sand a long way from the beach. (The grit that collects in your ears, hair, and other places when you're on a beach or in a beach town is mostly sand, not salt.) You won't need to clean your gear as often as if you go overboard, but that stuff gets in everywhere and it needs to come out.

Okie John

TR675
06-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Have a knife, ideally a fixed blade that's at least partially serrated, at all times when you're around the water. You can get entangled in all kind of ugly stuff in the surf zone (parts of nets, lines that found their way overboard, nylon webbing, etc.) and you may need to get out of it in a hurry. For personal safety, a knife may be more important than a pistol.

OT, but when I was scuba diving a lot I carried medical shears for just this reason. Strong fishing line, etc. can be a bear to cut through with a dive knife. The shears made quick work of it.

okie john
06-24-2014, 10:49 AM
OT, but when I was scuba diving a lot I carried medical shears for just this reason. Strong fishing line, etc. can be a bear to cut through with a dive knife. The shears made quick work of it.

That makes a lot of sense.

Okie John

JHC
06-24-2014, 11:22 AM
This guy gets pretty thorough with his tests. Even shooting gel blocks underwater with his Glock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COea9JqJ7SM&list=PLmiU6STG5XaBqD3CC-C_grwh_fGUQRS6u

*** maritime cups***

TR675
06-24-2014, 11:35 AM
That makes a lot of sense.

Okie John

An added benefit is that it's harder to poke or cut yourself with the shears when you get tangled - I figured that out the hard way.

Odin Bravo One
06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
The Glock issues were actually mags............drilling holes in the baseplates and near the bottom seemed to help with drainage of the other crap in the ocean besides water.

I am a big fan of the Glock in reality. If I could own only one pistol, it would be a Sig 226.......

With G34 as a close second. And depending on the circumstances, the 34 might win out.

The only reason I bother to carry a knife in the ocean is in case of a shark.

S154
06-25-2014, 02:12 AM
The Glock issues were actually mags............drilling holes in the baseplates and near the bottom seemed to help with drainage of the other crap in the ocean besides water.

I am a big fan of the Glock in reality. If I could own only one pistol, it would be a Sig 226.......

With G34 as a close second. And depending on the circumstances, the 34 might win out.

You're not the first guy that has said Glocks leave a lot to be desired after being submerged, specifically regarding the mags.

Do the P226's hold up better in the salt water?

Tamara
06-25-2014, 07:11 AM
...drainage of the other crap in the ocean besides water.

Now I can't get the image of a baleen pistol mag out of my head.

LittleLebowski
06-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Not sure if anyone else took the bait.....

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0d/Jaws-Garand-3.jpg/602px-Jaws-Garand-3.jpg

orionz06
06-25-2014, 09:21 AM

What's your suggested blade for sharks?

NETim
06-25-2014, 09:38 AM

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0d/Jaws-Garand-3.jpg/602px-Jaws-Garand-3.jpg

I went for it:

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara

Yeah, if you're interested in making giant fireballs* out of compressed air tanks. Garlands aren't good for much else.

*Oh wait, that's Hollywood.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkhtTPU9KjM

It appears Garands can't even do that.

Really thought bagging on the Garand would generate a moderate firestorm. :)

SJC3081
06-25-2014, 09:47 AM
For me a 21-A, 351c or a 43c in a ziplock sandwich bag.

Chuck Haggard
06-25-2014, 11:16 AM
.22lr ammo dies quickly when wet, just not as sealed up as quality center fire.

My last time on the beach I had a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCR along for the ride.

Before that was a G26, which ended up in about 20 feet of water when we had a kayak mishap due to a crappy bungee cord. Had to go snorkeling to get the fanny pack back. Later that night at the hotel room I rinsed the gun out with fresh water, emptied the mags and dried everything off, used some 3-in-1 oil I got from the hotel maintenance dude, and all was GTG

1986s4
06-25-2014, 11:25 AM
I work around the water and boats everyday. There is a very real chance of falling in or needing to go to save another. So no carry for me.

Odin Bravo One
06-25-2014, 03:23 PM
What's your suggested blade for sharks?

Something pointy and sharp enough to draw blood. I have no intention of fighting a shark with a knife. But only morons swim alone..........the knife is to be used to stab the person you are swimming with, providing chum/easy prey, and hopefully providing you enough time to either make it to the beach, or to the boat. In which case, it is appropriate to start quoting Chef, and his opinion on getting out of the boat.

Had to go snorkeling to get the fanny pack back.

.................if I only had a nickel every time I had to go looking for a gun at the bottom of the ocean............

Chuck Haggard
06-25-2014, 05:08 PM
.................if I only had a nickel every time I had to go looking for a gun at the bottom of the ocean............

I'm glad it was daylight and wasn't in a hundred feet of water.

Rich
06-30-2014, 07:18 PM
I've walked the beach many times wearing swim trunks & belly band .
Belly band can carry a snub / sub compact or service sized handguns.

90% of the time here in SWF I wear cargo shorts and a T shirt with a M642 in left front pocket and P30S IWB at 3PM.

Don't care about the salt water / rust . I clean them!

BTW
I've had more problems with rust in IN than here in SWF.

Rich
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM

I just use a handgun before boating.

One time I caught a nice 6 foot BT and ended up shooting the leader and it got away.

TCinVA
07-01-2014, 07:11 AM

This. Those stainless revolvers Mr. M mentions were used by some dudes who spent lots of time swimming around in salt water before needing to shoot people for a reason.

If I was going to be getting into the water I'd want a stainless or aluminum J frame (Definitely aluminum if I'm in my speedo) loaded with ammo that's been properly sealed around the primer and case mouth. It's pretty easy to disassemble a J frame and clean it up and since the action is powered by your finger it's highly likely to work even if a tad soggy.