PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR ?

Chuck Haggard
06-21-2014, 08:59 AM
I have heard, and seen from limited shooting, that the LCRs shoot to POA with lighter bullets better than the J frames.

I note that there are fiber optic and tritium front sights available for the LCR, but that the Ruger page notes that on the .22s this will drop the POI about 5" low from POA.

Has anyone tried these front sights on the .38 LCR to know if this holds true with the centerfire guns?

breakingtime91
06-21-2014, 10:34 AM
I have a XS standard dot on my Lcr 357 and it shoots point of aim.

jh9
06-21-2014, 01:51 PM
I have a XS standard dot on my Lcr 357 and it shoots point of aim.

With what ammunition?

My standard black sights LCR .38 shoots about 6" high with 158gr LRNs (4.7gr Unique; ~800fps and change from a 4" gun; IOW a standard ball round). Using 125gr gold dots it's about right with a 6'o'clock hold. I'd imagine 110s would be about ideal, but haven't tried any yet.

Also, anyone else notice them being kind of rattly? Mine's plenty tight at full lockup (more akin to a Colt than S&W in that regard I guess) but with the trigger forward there's a lot of slop.

RevolverRob
06-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I think different sights have different POIs, Chuck, I can't tell you which is which. My friend has an LCR in .38 we shot quite a bit when he picked it up. With the black ramp it shot POA/POI with 110-grain Hornady, he swapped to the XS dot and it shot POA/POI with the 135-grain Gold Dot.

Every LCR I have seen rattles more than any J-Frame I've ever seen. But they all shoot quite well. I've been thinking of picking a couple up, but I mostly shoot 158-grain LHPs and I haven't figured out what sight hits right with that ammo.

-Rob

Up1911Fan
06-21-2014, 09:26 PM
The rattling you hear is the transfer bar safety.

Wheeler
06-21-2014, 09:53 PM
My LCR has the XS Big Dot. It shoots POA at ten yards with 158 grain SJHP's and SJFP's at ten yards. I've done a little shooting at twenty but don't remember the ammo or accuracy except all the hits were in the -1 zone on an IDPA target.

LSP972
06-22-2014, 08:38 AM
The rattling you hear is the transfer bar safety.

When my dad passed, my mother selected an LCR for her bedside gun. I put 50 wadcutters and 50 158 RNL though it. At the end of those 100 relatively mild rounds, the revolver was/is "loose as a goose".

I'm talking about endshake, both yoke and cylinder, and some distinct radial play in the whole cylinder/yoke assembly. The transfer bar safety may be contributing to this, but on that sample at least there is a LOT more going on. It still works, of course, and no doubt would for a while if we continued to shoot it. But she refuses to practice, and I don't push the issue because its more for her peace of mind than anything. She's 87; I doubt she could get to it in time, even if she remembered it, etc.

But if it was my gun, or for someone I cared about who would shoot it regularly… no way, Jose.

Yeah, I keep hearing from folks whose opinion I respect that this is simply the way LCRs are, they hold up well, etc., etc. Fine. I'll pass.

Wheeler
06-22-2014, 08:43 AM
When my dad passed, my mother selected an LCR for her bedside gun. I put 50 wadcutters and 50 158 RNL though it. At the end of those 100 relatively mild rounds, the revolver was/is "loose as a goose".

I'm talking about endshake, both yoke and cylinder, and some distinct radial play in the whole cylinder/yoke assembly. The transfer bar safety may be contributing to this, but on that sample at least there is a LOT more going on. It still works, of course, and no doubt would for a while if we continued to shoot it. But she refuses to practice, and I don't push the issue because its more for her peace of mind than anything. She's 87; I doubt she could get to it in time, even if she remembered it, etc.

But if it was my gun, or for someone I cared about who would shoot it regularly… no way, Jose.

Yeah, I keep hearing from folks whose opinion I respect that this is simply the way LCRs are, they hold up well, etc., etc. Fine. I'll pass.

I have about 500 rounds through mine, mostly 158's at around 950 fps. It does not do what you described. For whatever its worth Ruger has excellent customer service and is pretty good about making things right.

LSP972
06-23-2014, 04:51 AM
For whatever its worth Ruger has excellent customer service and is pretty good about making things right.

I know. But sending it back would have been more trouble than it was worth, given the totality of the circumstances. After she passes, I might do that.

OTOH, being a dyed-in-the-wool J frame fan, I'll probably let my brother have it…