PDA

View Full Version : SIG SB15 brace build thread

LittleLebowski
06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IR1K7GG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00IR1K7GG&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20)

Gen 2 KAK buffer tube setup (http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/gen-2-pistol-buffer-tube-kit-with-plain-plate)

It is best to build your stripped lower with a pistol buffer tube first.

Ordinary carbine buffers and springs work.

5pins
06-16-2014, 06:36 PM
If I ever get round to building a 300 blackout I will probably go this route instead of getting it SBR’ed.

Suvorov
06-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Yep. Still trying to decide on the gun and generate the funds. In Kalifornia the window in which to get one is only going to last the next few months most likely and it may very well be the closest I ever get to an SBR.

Haraise
06-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Working on this now. 7" .300BLK build.

SGT_Calle
06-17-2014, 06:38 AM
If I ever get round to building a 300 blackout I will probably go this route instead of getting it SBR’ed.

This is my plan as well.

LittleLebowski
06-17-2014, 06:41 AM
This thing makes SO much sense. No filing paperwork to travel to other states, no wait. Just really awesome of SIG to do this.

Suvorov
06-17-2014, 08:48 AM
So what is the group think here - when it comes to 7.5" and 10" ARs are there any advantages to a piston gun or are most still better served with DI?

The initial paperwork and tax doesn't bother me so much. It's the ease of traveling with a pseudo-SBR that sells me on this.

I would agree as long as you live in a state that allows its subjects to own SBRs.

LittleLebowski
06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
So

I would agree as long as you live in a state that allows its subjects to own SBRs.

Are there states that allow pistol ARs that don't allow SBRs?

Chuck Whitlock
06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Wow. $122.xx? I would've guessed about 1/2 that. Makes a $200 tax stamp not as hard to swallow. Of course, there is all that other stuff involved beyond cost.

LittleLebowski
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Wow. $122.xx? I would've guessed about 1/2 that. Makes a $200 tax stamp not as hard to swallow. Of course, there is all that other stuff involved beyond cost.

I think that the price is quite palatable given the complete lack of wait time, absolutely legality as ruled by the BATF, and SIG's aggressive pursuit of making the ATF own up to their silly rulings.

JMS
06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/santoro0313/Shortgun.jpg (http://s764.photobucket.com/user/santoro0313/media/Shortgun.jpg.html)

Got impatient, waiting on the Form1 to clear, so I put together this heap.

Chuck Whitlock
06-17-2014, 10:34 AM
I think that the price is quite palatable given the complete lack of wait time, absolutely legality as ruled by the BATF, and SIG's aggressive pursuit of making the ATF own up to their silly rulings.

That's what I meant by "all that other stuff". :cool:

I don't think it is "overpriced"....my WAG assumption of price was off. Wouldn't be the 1st time I got my thoughter bent.

Suvorov
06-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Kalifornia. At least until they kill the Single Shot Exemption for good this year.

vaglocker
06-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I put one on a Krink pistol. Now I have a truck gun i can shoulder that I can keep loaded since it's covered under my CHP permit.

MSparks909
06-17-2014, 09:27 PM
How does it handle when fired from the shoulder? Similar to a traditional stock? How flexible is the Sig brace? Thinking about picking one up for a 11.5" build. This brace is very appealing to me because I don't have to jump through the NFA hoops and wait 9 months to get a stamp, I can travel out of state without notifying the ATF, and I can keep it loaded and concealed in my vehicle, as mentioned above, because it is technically a "pistol." Win on all accounts IMO.

JMS
06-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Due to it's intended purpose, it's wider than most stocks, so it sits a bit weird, especially if you mount a carbine more toward your centerline like I do, but that's not insurmountable. Just took a little getting used to.

I run a normal collapsible stock all the way out, so when in the prone with this thing, my nose doesn't touch the charging handle so much as rest on the charging handle, so I'll get punched in the lip by the gun if I don't remember to adjust my cheek weld accordingly.

Whatever it's made of....think of the material used for the butt-pads of a normal stock, though perhaps a bit more rigid than that. It fits on the RE pretty snugly, but can torque to one side or the other, so it pays to check it from time to time. Be prepared for the possibility of a lot of friction against your clothes.

Except for those minor points....it shoots like a carbine shoots. If one normally shoots with the stock adjusted one or two detents out, this thing probably won't faze you much.

It'll fit on just about any pistol RE, but it pays to get the GenII version of the KAK Industry extension designed specifically for the arm-brace, if you don't want to worry about it collapsing forward, and want to utilize something like the Tango Down PR-4 that I prefer for a rear sling mounting point: http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/sig-super-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

KAK's GenII uses a normal castle nut and receiver endplate, no need for special parts sometimes required by other pistol REs. I got a complete lower, removed the RE, and re-used the nut and endplate. KAK offers kits for stripped lowers; see the right side of the product page linked above, under "Related Products."

The KAK RE arrived from California 3 days after I ordered it.

JDM
06-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Due to it's intended purpose, it's wider than most stocks, so it sits a bit weird, especially if you mount a carbine more toward your centerline like I do, but that's not insurmountable. Just took a little getting used to.

I run a normal collapsible stock all the way out, so when in the prone with this thing, my nose doesn't touch the charging handle so much as rest on the charging handle, so I'll get punched in the lip by the gun if I don't remember to adjust my cheek weld accordingly.

Whatever it's made of....think of the material used for the butt-pads of a normal stock, though perhaps a bit more rigid than that. It fits on the RE pretty snugly, but can torque to one side or the other, so it pays to check it from time to time. Be prepared for the possibility of a lot of friction against your clothes.

Except for those minor points....it shoots like a carbine shoots. If one normally shoots with the stock adjusted one or two detents out, this thing probably won't faze you much.

It'll fit on just about any pistol RE, but it pays to get the GenII version of the KAK Industry extension designed specifically for the arm-brace, if you don't want to worry about it collapsing forward, and want to utilize something like the Tango Down PR-4 that I prefer for a rear sling mounting point: http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/sig-super-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

KAK's GenII uses a normal castle nut and receiver endplate, no need for special parts sometimes required by other pistol REs. I got a complete lower, removed the RE, and re-used the nut and endplate. KAK offers kits for stripped lowers; see the right side of the product page linked above, under "Related Products."

Great info, J.

Odin Bravo One
06-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Sure, why not?

It's $120.......... I dumped 30 times that for dinner and drinks at Jeff Ruby's on my birthday.

Also because I dicked up my most recent Form 1, and I know that my failing to include a pertinent piece of paperwork, it will cause an even longer delay in getting the stamp. Since the build this is going on is actually also a pistol caliber, I needed the receiver extension and something to put on the lower anyway, and I still had plenty of line left of my credit card, it just made sense.

Do I need a suppressed 5.5" barreled AR15 that accepts Glock 9mm mags in pistol form?

Nope?

Don't need it in SBR form either.

But my days of filling "needs" when it comes to my firearms are over.

"Because I can", along with "Because Fuck You, that's why" have become my default answers when it comes to fielding questions about a particular firearm, modification, or accessory I elect to purchase. I use the first with the wife, and the latter with the people at the LGS.

JMS
06-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Yeah, the idea of just LOOKING at my 10.5" upper for a year+ (or whatever it's gonna take for my own Form1 to drop; I'm not an optimist) instead of SHOOTING it was simply galling.

Between the E-file site going TU for the foreseeable future and this Sig contraption, going the pistol-lower route an easy decision.

LL, let me know if you wanna kick the tires on this sucker....

Crews
06-18-2014, 09:35 AM
I bought a Sig 10.5" pistol equipped with one of these. It's the perfect truck gun. No wait, shoots like a carbine, and goes from the back seat to out the window in a matter of a few seconds.

Suvorov
06-18-2014, 10:12 AM
I bought a Sig 10.5" pistol equipped with one of these. It's the perfect truck gun. No wait, shoots like a carbine, and goes from the back seat to out the window in a matter of a few seconds.

Which Sig did you get?

Due to Kalifornia "Law" the dealers I have been looking at will only sell a factory pistol and not a receiver alone - thus my choices are a lot more limited. I am leaning towards the 516 in the 10.5" because it seems to be readily available and I am already familiar with the rifle having a 16" patrol model that I do actually like. Cost as well as parts availability if the world goes Mad Max are the only things holding me back.

Crews
06-18-2014, 10:18 AM
I got the M400.... The other one was more money and had a piston, and I wasn't interested in either of those. In all honesty, I realize that I probably could have got more pistol for the money elsewhere, but it was an impulse buy. I really enjoy it. In Texas, it's legal to spotlight for hogs at night, and this combo is super easy to operate out of the truck window.

jetfire
06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I have a Brownells parts build with one of these on there. I actually need a heavier buffer spring because it's overgassing and double feeding. But I don't care because it's hella fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xZrsTgpPpw

CCT125US
06-18-2014, 11:06 AM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/santoro0313/Shortgun.jpg (http://s764.photobucket.com/user/santoro0313/media/Shortgun.jpg.html)

Got impatient, waiting on the Form1 to clear, so I put together this heap.
I have seen that FSP / light combo before, who makes it?

JMS
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
http://shop.roschworks.com/SL1-SL1.htm

I'm very impressed by it.

When torquing it onto the forend, don't take it past 28in-lb. I did, and stripped it; my fault, so I got a local machine shop to install a helicoil, despite Rosch's having shown unwavering CS for their product.

Suvorov
06-18-2014, 12:38 PM
I got the M400.... The other one was more money and had a piston, and I wasn't interested in either of those. In all honesty, I realize that I probably could have got more pistol for the money elsewhere, but it was an impulse buy. I really enjoy it. In Texas, it's legal to spotlight for hogs at night, and this combo is super easy to operate out of the truck window.

Thanks - now off to the carbine site to see just how bad they think the M400 is..... :p

Chuck Whitlock
06-18-2014, 04:46 PM
FWIW

The LGS had two of them on the shelf....$149, or $179 w/ pistol buffer tube.

MSparks909
06-18-2014, 05:06 PM

Thanks for that extremely thorough explanation Much appreciated. I'll probably order one of these to set aside with one of my stripped lowers.

YVK
06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
So these require a carbine weight buffer and a regular carbine length spring?

GJM
06-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Help me not have to digest all the nuances in the thread -- what parts and pieces do I need to get, and from where, to make this work with my existing lowers and uppers?

JMS
06-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Yep, normal carbine components. If your upper is a carbine gas system with a properly sized gas port, you can expect to utilize the same buffer you would on a lower with a normal carbine RE. Mine's a 10.5" upper, utilizing an H2 buffer, and I anticipate having to use an H3 once my suppressor is out of Purgatory.

Take a mil-spec-sized RE, remove the underside rib that houses howevermany detents with which to adjust a stock, add the collar at the front to keep the Sig brace from sliding forward....voila, you have a KAK SB-15 pistol receiver extension.

Since I picked one up, KAK's come out with spacer rings that one can slip onto the RE before putting the brace on. They weren't available at the time I purchased, saw them last night, but didn't think to cite them. They provide greater LOP, if desired, without altering anything about the RE itself. I'll not be nabbing them, as I want mine to fit in a particular bag without having to break it down, but they're available in the event one wants them.

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/sig-lak

JMS
06-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Help me not have to digest all the nuances in the thread -- what parts and pieces do I need to get, and from where, to make this work with my existing lowers and uppers?

Let's say you have two (2) complete guns....

Buy 2 Sig braces.
Buy 2 KAK Gen2 pistol REs.
If you DON'T intend to re-use the endplates and castle nuts you already possess, buy 2 ea of those. If you intend to re-use the ones you have....disregard.

Upon arrival of your new pistol AR components, swap out your carbine REs for the KAK REs per the usual procedure, put the SIG braces on the REs per manufacturer instructions, re-install your existing carbine action springs and buffers per the usual procedure, slap your uppers back on per the usual procedure, and get to shootin.

EDIT: You'll need 2 rear sling attachment points of your choosing.....or a Proctor sling, which comes with 550 cord ends that lark's-head around just about anything.

JM Campbell
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
New Lower.

If purchased as a assembled rifle, stays a rifle lower.

If purchased as stripped lower, you can build a pistol or rifle.

BWT
06-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but it is "legal" (or whatever) to convert a rifle/carbine AR lower into a pistol AR lower? Once the upper is removed from the lower is it just considered a receiver at that point and therefore it's then OK to convert it to a pistol configuration?

Or would one need to start with a new lower and build it as a pistol? Does any of this even matter?

New Lower.

Guys don't fool yourselves. If it said Rifle on the form 4473 it is a rifle.

If it's a stripped lower registered as "other" you can add that to it.

Once a rifle always a rifle.

This is why you can't make an AOW out of a shotgun with a stock. It's considered a smooth bore pistol. The only way to know is to know how the Mfg registered the lower.

Lowers are cheap enough to buy new, and uppers are modular, it's easy to avoid this could be massive pitfall.

ETA: Basically build a new lower as a pistol would be the easiest thing IMHO.

It would also keep your ducks in a row.

Chuck Haggard
06-18-2014, 09:37 PM
If the lower has ever been a rifle then it is a rifle. You can not build a pistol from a rifle.

You can remove everything from your carbine and install it on a new lower that you build as a pistol and then be OK.

You can also get around the no VFG without making the pistol an AOW if you have a gun that is long enough, typically on an AR you need an 11.5" barreled upper

BWT
06-18-2014, 09:39 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BAT FE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html

Link to an ATF letter on this matter to drive the nail through the coffin.

GJM
06-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Let's say you have two (2) complete guns....

Buy 2 Sig braces.
Buy 2 KAK Gen2 pistol REs.
If you DON'T intend to re-use the endplates and castle nuts you already possess, buy 2 ea of those. If you intend to re-use the ones you have....disregard.

Upon arrival of your new pistol AR components, swap out your carbine REs for the KAK REs per the usual procedure, put the SIG braces on the REs per manufacturer instructions, re-install your existing carbine action springs and buffers per the usual procedure, slap your uppers back on per the usual procedure, and get to shootin.

EDIT: You'll need 2 rear sling attachment points of your choosing.....or a Proctor sling, which comes with 550 cord ends that lark's-head around just about anything.

Thank you! Can you also buy a complete lower from Ranier, BCM or the like?

JMS
06-18-2014, 10:21 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BAT FE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html

Link to an ATF letter on this matter to drive the nail through the coffin.

Yeah, that's the ruling upon which I put together this little thingamabob: a complete BCM lower purchased as a stand-alone item, with no biblical knowledge of a carbine/rifle upper, and swapped the RE.

GJM, I let it slip from my head that we can't take a carbine/rifle and turn it to pistol use. Fairly sizable screw-up on my part, I hope you'll accept an apology for it.

GJM
06-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeah, that's the ruling upon which I put together this little thingamabob: a complete BCM lower purchased as a stand-alone item, with no biblical knowledge of a carbine/rifle upper, and swapped the RE.

GJM, I let it slip from my head that we can't take a carbine/rifle and turn it to pistol use. Fairly sizable screw-up on my part, I hope you'll accept an apology for it.

All good -- I am just gathering data.

Anyone have a source for a complete lower?

MSparks909
06-18-2014, 11:19 PM
All good -- I am just gathering data.

Anyone have a source for a complete lower?

You need a stripped lower to configure it as a pistol; a complete lower will be sold as a rifle. I just bought 3 cosmetic blem lowers from Aero Precision. I also have another one of their lowers that I'm using for a build now. Should have the cosmetic blems in a week or so. The blems were $55 for each stripped lower, and they're still in stock.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-receivers.html

Add your choice of a lower parts kit, choice of trigger, grip and pistol buffer tube and you're set to throw on the SB15.
Edit: Phase 5 just came out with a new buffer tube with an extended spacer to extend the SB15 away from the receiver. This one looks to extend the stock more so than the KAK buffer tubes.
http://phase5wsi.com/hex-2-pistol-buffer-tube-hex-2.html

I'm going to order one of the above buffer tubes and a SB15 and put them aside for a pistol build. Unsure if I want to do 300BLK or 5.56.

GJM
06-19-2014, 12:11 AM
How would something like this work, if you wanted .300 BLK -- can you just add the Sig brace?

http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-AAC-Blackout-Pistol_p_645.html

JM Campbell
06-19-2014, 12:24 AM
You should be able to, the foam on the rear of that buffer tube most likely will have to be removed to fit the brace.

MSparks909
06-19-2014, 01:48 AM
You should be able to, the foam on the rear of that buffer tube most likely will have to be removed to fit the brace.

Correct. KAK makes spacers that fit over the buffer tube to change the "length of pull" for the brace. Otherwise, the brace will slide up to the receiver. If you shoot NTCH, that may not be an issue; I personally run my stock 1 or 2 clicks in so I want a buffer tube that extends the brace away from the receiver some. YMMV.

5pins
06-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Yes, it’s already a pistol so can just add the Sig brace.

If you buy a stripped lower make sure the dealer transfers it as other and not a rifle.

LittleLebowski
06-19-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm doing my build on a PSA lower, pistol tube installed first of course.

Byron
06-19-2014, 08:50 AM
I don't know how SBR is handled in MD, but here's a head-scratcher for you...

The SIG M400 classic rifle (https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sigm400-classic.aspx) is now a banned "assault long gun" and can no longer be purchased in MD, even with its federally-legal 16" barrel.

The SIG M400 pistol (https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/pm400-11-fde-psb.aspx), however, is on MD's handgun roster (https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18128) (the list of handguns allowed to be sold in our state).

go figure

LittleLebowski
06-19-2014, 09:01 AM

The SIG M400 classic rifle (https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sigm400-classic.aspx) is now a banned "assault long gun" and can no longer be purchased in MD, even with its federally-legal 16" barrel.

The SIG M400 pistol (https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/pm400-11-fde-psb.aspx), however, is on MD's handgun roster (https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18128) (the list of handguns allowed to be sold in our state).

go figure

I know what I'd be buying if I was an MD resident :D

Odin Bravo One
06-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I know what I'd be buying if I was an MD resident :D

No shit.

A house somewhere other than MD.

LittleLebowski
06-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Sean, agreed! :D

5pins
06-19-2014, 09:24 AM
No shit.

No doubt! When we moved from CT my wife wanted to look at homes in MD. I flat out told her I wasn’t going to leave CT and just end up someplace almost as bad.

Chuck Haggard
06-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Who makes the best pistol type RE? I knows me some carbines, I know jack about getting an AR pistol to run.

Does anyone makes a decent carbine length pistol RE that I can just bolt on and then use a carbine buffer and spring?

JM Campbell
06-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Chuck, the AR pistols are supposed to run on carbine spring and buffer as long as the gas port it the appropriate size from what I understand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jetfire
06-19-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't normally "build" ARs, so my knowledge of places to get items is limited. Right now I have a carbine spring in my pistol, and it's over-gassing leading to spotty ejection. Where would I buy a heavier buffer spring for this thing? Or is there some other way to deal with that problem?

TR675
06-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Sprinco springs get good reviews. I would call them and ask; they collect "recipes" of buffer, springs, barrel length and may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

TheTrevor
06-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't normally "build" ARs, so my knowledge of places to get items is limited. Right now I have a carbine spring in my pistol, and it's over-gassing leading to spotty ejection. Where would I buy a heavier buffer spring for this thing? Or is there some other way to deal with that problem?

The spring remains constant for a given size receiver extension, unlike conventional pistol platforms where this is the tunable part.

Instead, what gets adjusted is the weight of the buffer and, possibly, the gas port. If you pick up a Spikes T3 buffer, you can mix-and-match steel weights from the carbine buffer with the tungsten weights from the carbine buffer.

Personally, I prefer to use an adjustable gas block on ARs that are outside the performance envelope of "standard" designs.

ETA: While there are aftermarket spring vendors which offer different spring rates, I've found that it's a lot easier to use a standard spring for a given AR variant (e.g. pistol, carbine, rifle) and adjust only buffer weight and gas. Too many interactive variables to deal with otherwise.

LittleLebowski
06-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Working on consolidating the knowledge into the first post.

jetfire
06-19-2014, 03:18 PM
The spring remains constant for a given size receiver extension, unlike conventional pistol platforms where this is the tunable part.

Instead, what gets adjusted is the weight of the buffer and, possibly, the gas port. If you pick up a Spikes T3 buffer, you can mix-and-match steel weights from the carbine buffer with the tungsten weights from the carbine buffer.

Personally, I prefer to use an adjustable gas block on ARs that are outside the performance envelope of "standard" designs.

ETA: While there are aftermarket spring vendors which offer different spring rates, I've found that it's a lot easier to use a standard spring for a given AR variant (e.g. pistol, carbine, rifle) and adjust only buffer weight and gas. Too many interactive variables to deal with otherwise.

Thanks, so a Spikes T3 buffer would be a good purchase? A more important question: would it have the two-penis logo?

YVK
06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
And just like that, a 9" 300blk complete AAC pistol should be on its way tomorrow.

JMS
06-19-2014, 03:31 PM
A more important question: would it have the two-penis logo?

Indeed! It's graved on the face where you'd normally see H or H2 or whichever.

SecondsCount
06-19-2014, 03:51 PM
No shit.

Awesome!

I didn't realize how much I missed Sean's input to P-F discussions.

SecondsCount
06-19-2014, 03:53 PM
And just like that, a 9" 300blk complete AAC pistol should be on its way tomorrow.

I get the second mag through it!

GJM
06-19-2014, 04:02 PM

I get an assist for "enabling" YVK.

Any idea how to get the foam off the AAC? Since YVK likes custom everything, any other mods he should do?

MSparks909
06-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks, so a Spikes T3 buffer would be a good purchase? A more important question: would it have the two-penis logo?

I disagree with the choice of a Spike's buffer. Go with a H2 and see how that works. The Spike's buffers are filled with a tungsten powder. Regular buffers are filled with weights the slide back and forth. When you shake a C or H/H2/H3/H6 buffer, you'll hear the weights sliding back and forth inside. These sliding weights help to minimize bolt bounce. There is a video that illustrates various forms of bolt bounce for different buffers. I'll have to find it and post it.

Edit: Found it. I can't get the embed code using my iPhone so go click the link and watch it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRn68HwZf34

But since you're overgassed Caleb...try a H2. You'll probably still be overgassed. In that case, you'll need to order an adjustable gas block. Syrac makes some good quality ones.

It is my opinion the every AR carbine/pistol needs *at least* an H buffer. H2 is preferable *if the gun will lock back on empty using the lowest powered ammo that you will run* (usually PMC/Tula/Wolf .223). If you only run 5.56 I can almost guarantee that you can run a H2. Do the lock back test 5-10 times. If it won't lock back with an H2, go to a H.

I run H2's/Sprinco Blue Springs in my AR's and I really like the combo. For me, it works well in my 14.5" carbine gas BCM upper and my 16" DD middy. H2's may be a bit heavy for a 14.5" middy though. A Sprinco White spring, a 5 coil extractor spring and a H2 would be a good choice for your pistol. The Sprinco springs don't need to be replaced; they are Chrome Silicon and have a life cycle of something ridiculous like 750,000 cycles.

YVK
06-19-2014, 06:00 PM

You can have first. We need to get together at the range, I'll soon have three new shoulder fired ones that need zeroing.

You get two points, one for assist and second for scoring an identical one.

Any idea how to get the foam off the AAC? Since YVK likes custom everything, any other mods he should do?

Says GJM who just sent 4.5 Berettas for custom work, to complete against his 7 custom CZs.

I am entertaining an idea of trimming the foam to get the SB-15 over it for a better retention, but an idea of getting a purpose built RE is a solid one.

TheTrevor
06-19-2014, 08:00 PM
The ST-T1 and ST-T2 buffers contain powder. The ST-T3 contains tungsten bars which can be mix-and-matched with the steel weights from an H-type buffer to fine tune buffer mass. If someone already has an H or H2 buffer, and they're mechanically adept enough to drive out and replace a roll pin, this is what I recommend. You can get anything from an H to an H3+ buffer this way.

I use Syrac adjustable gas blocks as standard equipment on all of my ARs. I do love me some consistent ejection patterns.

MSparks909
06-19-2014, 08:08 PM
The ST-T1 and ST-T2 buffers contain powder. The ST-T3 contains tungsten bars which can be mix-and-matched with the steel weights from an H-type buffer to fine tune buffer mass. If someone already has an H or H2 buffer, and they're mechanically adept enough to drive out and replace a roll pin, this is what I recommend. You can get anything from an H to an H3+ buffer this way.

I use Syrac adjustable gas blocks as standard equipment on all of my ARs. I do love me some consistent ejection patterns.

Was unaware that the ST3 was different than the ST1/2. Thanks for clearing that up.

GJM
06-19-2014, 08:35 PM

Was unaware that the ST3 was different than the ST1/2. Thanks for clearing that up.

ST-T1, ST-T2, ST-T3 -- is this necessary to make my AAC .300 run, or general AR minutia? My taste in AR carbines is quite basic, ranges from 6920 to 6933 to Noveske and BCM stuff, and I haven't messed with stuff beyond what is in there from these builders.

MSparks909
06-19-2014, 09:07 PM
ST-T1, ST-T2, ST-T3 -- is this necessary to make my AAC .300 run, or general AR minutia? My taste in AR carbines is quite basic, ranges from 6920 to 6933 to Noveske and BCM stuff, and I haven't messed with stuff beyond what is in there from these builders.

Most of the stuff I recommended was in regards to Caleb's overgassed DPMS. Your AAC should be GTG.

LittleLebowski
06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
My BCM 11.5" lightweight with 10" KMR is en route. Cannot freaking wait.

Odin Bravo One
06-20-2014, 05:49 PM
My 9mm multi-mount suppressor has not left the manufacturer.........cannot freaking wait.

MSparks909
06-20-2014, 05:51 PM
My BCM 11.5" lightweight with 10" KMR is en route. Cannot freaking wait.

Drool!

RevolverRob
06-20-2014, 07:23 PM

go figure

Oh man, I think that one can be beaten. Chicago/Cook County AWB bans AR15s, AKs, etc. Originally, it also banned AR/AK pattern pistols and all pistols patterned off of so-called assault weapons. Now since the state of Illinois passed shall-issue concealed carry, the concealed carry law preempts all city/county regulatory efforts on pistols. Which means that you can have any and all the pistols you want in Illinois, but still can't have any assault weapons in Chicago. It also means with a valid permit you can carry those guns on your person...Needless to say, I am watching this thread with interest.

I am really thinking of building one with one of these on it: http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm - With a pistol buffer tube and SB15, and 7.5" .300 BLK upper. Folded with a 20-round magazine it should fit right into my daily carry messenger bag.

Edit: I might have missed it, was there a consensus on running piston vs. DI uppers at short (sub-10") length?

-Rob

TORCH2J
06-20-2014, 08:08 PM
I am really thinking of building one with one of these on it: http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm - With a pistol buffer tube and SB15, and 7.5" .300 BLK upper. Folded with a 20-round magazine it should fit right into my daily carry messenger bag.

-Rob

Oddly enough, I just saw this exact same setup today when an acquaintance showed me his because I had been asking about a pistol build. It made me green with envy. And it fits into an incredibly tiny bag.

Shawn.L
06-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Ive ran this 10.5 inch Noveske in 300 blk for over 6 months now. The one thing I'll note about the KAK reciver extension is the brace swivels on it some, and has a flat top. If its turned sideways some it will partially hang up the charging handle.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/shawn235711/IMAG0027_1_zpsmwf5ty5v.jpg

Runs great, although I have had some ammo related issues (very few, but worth noting maybe 5 failures in 500 rounds) with some cheaper reloads I bought using M80 bullet pulls and LC 5.56 brass, but it was .60c/round when I bought it so for practice ammo I dont care. With factory Remmington ammo (subs and normal) it ran 100% though another 500 rounds. I plan on getting some trigger time on it in the Frank Proctor carbine class Im hosting next weekend, if even just part of a day.

BWT
06-21-2014, 05:30 PM
I'd go with an H, H2 or H3 buffer. What buffer are using currently Caleb?

Buffers typically have sliding weights. Spikes uses powder inside.

I'd avoid. An H or H2 should be fine.

Odin Bravo One
06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
My thrown together 9mm pistol............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/SigBrace9mm_zps646648e2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SavageHunter/media/SigBrace9mm_zps646648e2.jpg.html)

Note the awesome castle nut that is NOT there!!! HITAF do I not have a castle nut in my parts bins? Guess I'll have to fix it tomorrow..........Grrrrr........

GJM
06-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Sean, who makes the lower and does it take Glock mags?

Odin Bravo One
06-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Company called DDLES........... Double Diamond LE Supply? I dunno. I think that is correct. Been slow rolling this for awhile now, piecing together a little here and a little there, and since I dicked up the Form 1 to SBR it, figured I may as well just roll it as a pistol until the ATF declares it a rifle with my stamp.

Sporting a 5.5" barrel, and the suppressor (still not transferred from manufacturer) will sit about 2" past the rail.

It does take Glock mags.

I have no good reason for this project, other than "I can". Or rather should I say "Can I?". Because I honestly don't even know if the thing will shoot, or be reliable, or, or, or........guess time will tell. As in, whenever all of the paperworks are done and I have all of the parts.........

RevolverRob
06-21-2014, 11:38 PM
DDLES makes the lowers that take Glock mags (Double Diamond LE Supply is correct). If you want a 9mm AR I'd recommend the CMMG Colt-style mag dedicated gun, or getting a Hahn Precision dedicated mag block and installing it. Unless you have just tons of 33-round Glock mags. The C-Products and ASC 32-round magazines are available almost all day long for between $12-17 bucks. The Colt-style mag blocks and magazines with a proper buffer are actually quite reliable. I've had a setup with a Hahn mag block, Hahn heavy buffer, in a New Frontier lower, with an RRA upper on it for a couple of years now. Runs better than any DI/Piston 5.56 or .300 gun I have ever had. With a suppressor and subsonic and the right buffer spring, I'd expect them to run great. I think the issues with the Glock-mag lowers were feeding and bolt-hold opens. It makes sense at some level, the Colt-style mags are true dual column dual-feed mags and very reliable in a blowback system. The only thing that screws them up is insufficient spring pressure, crappy followers, or not being properly positioned within the magazine well. I think the issues with the DDLES uppers were issues of the magazine being seated too low.

-Rob

Odin Bravo One
06-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Yea, since I already own it, and have NFA paperwork started on it, guess I'll have to forgo getting an entirely new set up and system. And I have an endless supply of 33 round Glock mags.

RevolverRob
06-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Yea, since I already own it, and have NFA paperwork started on it, guess I'll have to forgo getting an entirely new set up and system. And I have an endless supply of 33 round Glock mags.

Sean,

Did you have issues with DDLES delivering your lower? That was the other issue that popped up last year was DDLES having personnel issues and resulting in delayed or non-delivery and non-communication for already paid for lowers.

If you have a ready supply of Glock mags it makes absolute sense. If you don't (I don't) it makes sense to go the Colt route since the Colt mags are actually cheaper.

-Rob

abu fitna
06-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Running a braced 516 pistol in the same barrel length. Good stuff, despite SIG's recent reputation.

Made my colleague, who had spent the time for a SBR'd 556 want to tear his hair out (esp since his stock broke the first week he was running it, and he had no end of trouble with a gunsmith repair due to the SBR process issues.)

Odin Bravo One
06-22-2014, 07:10 PM
I didn't have any issues getting my receiver. Took all of about two days. And since I already have multiple Glock 9mm pistols, even if I didn't have ready access to 33rd mags, makes more sense than buying another gun that requires yet another different magazine.

And the reality is this sort of build is nothing but a toy. Even I am not dumb enough to intentionally go into a potential gunfight with 9mm as my primary choice............

SamuelBLong
06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm thinking about doing one of these builds. Anybody have experience using this pistol buffer tube?

http://www.kakindustry.com/sig-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

It's got a shoulder machined into the tube so that the brace is set a fixed distance. Looks like they also sell spacers to adjust the distance to match standard stock positions.

Shawn.L
06-22-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking about doing one of these builds. Anybody have experience using this pistol buffer tube?

http://www.kakindustry.com/sig-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

It's got a shoulder machined into the tube so that the brace is set a fixed distance. Looks like they also sell spacers to adjust the distance to match standard stock positions.

I just posted about it a page ago...

SamuelBLong
06-22-2014, 07:34 PM
My bad for not reading carefully enough.

I suppose that's what I get after a long day at work.

JMS
06-22-2014, 08:24 PM
That's the Gen1 version of their Sig brace RE.

No castle nut needed, but requires a non-standard receiver endplate (the locking tab ground away).

ffhounddog
06-23-2014, 06:06 AM
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/aftransporter1/WP_20140622_005_zps4ab4c6ef.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/aftransporter1/media/WP_20140622_005_zps4ab4c6ef.jpg.html)

Mine is close to done. Just got the gemtech mk18 mount for it and still waiting on my rmr adm mount for my rmr 06. Cannot find the screwdriver to replace the factory a2 grip with a BCM mod 1. Going to have to find one. Removing the stock to toss a Ikickhippies endplate on it. Going the foilage green black look. Debating on a hand stop. I have a single point gear sector sling somewhere but it is what it is. This is where i shoot my issued m4 with armor on and it fits comfortable.

Got a mk18 dd upper complete new for a great price so went that route vice bcm, colt or lmt. Wanted a lwrci psd but could not swing the price.

LittleLebowski
06-26-2014, 02:01 PM
BOOM

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/3C4436B2-F4E9-4204-89C3-E08CFC67B2CD_zpseoyoynjd.jpg

SecondsCount
06-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Looking good!

If you guys could provide details of your build it would help those of us who are considering one of these. :cool:

LL, What trigger is that?

JMS
06-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Some slight alterations, compared to the original photo:

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx287/santoro0313/Shortgun-1.jpg (http://s764.photobucket.com/user/santoro0313/media/Shortgun-1.jpg.html)

Lower:
Complete BCM lower, no frills. Swapped the carbine RE for the KAK pistol RE and Sig brace, as specified.
Standard carbine spring, H2 buffer
Tango Down PR-4 QD sling mount

Upper:
Complete LaRue 10.5" Stealth (purchased on the cheap, from a former co-worker)
LMT Enhanced bolt and carrier
BCM Gunfighter Mod4 CH
Aimoint M2 in an American Defense mount
Magpul rear BUIS
Rosch Works SL-1 front sight/light combo
AAC Blackout 51T
Magpul RSA-QD
Proctor Sling w/QD swivels

ffhounddog
06-27-2014, 06:11 AM
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/aftransporter1/WP_20140622_005_zps4ab4c6ef.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/aftransporter1/media/WP_20140622_005_zps4ab4c6ef.jpg.html)

Mine is close to done. Just got the gemtech mk18 mount for it and still waiting on my rmr adm mount for my rmr 06. Cannot find the screwdriver to replace the factory a2 grip with a BCM mod 1. Going to have to find one. Removing the stock to toss a Ikickhippies endplate on it. Going the foilage green black look. Debating on a hand stop. I have a single point gear sector sling somewhere but it is what it is. This is where i shoot my issued m4 with armor on and it fits comfortable.

Got a mk18 dd upper complete new for a great price so went that route vice bcm, colt or lmt. Wanted a lwrci psd but could not swing the price.

Currently, mbus front and rear
Light streamlight tlr-vir
Lwrci trigger
Armalite lpk minus trigger
DD mK18 upper
Sig brace on KAK tube
Pri gasbuster

Next week:
Ikickhippies end plate
Gemtech G5 mk18 muzzle device
Bcm gunfighter grip
Gear Sector single point because I have one

Future no time line
Might get a LBT single point
Trijicon RMR 06 when ADM mount shows up. Already have the RMR.
LDI CQBL-1 Class1 IR Laser or a DBAL.

ffhounddog
06-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Looking good!

If you guys could provide details of your build it would help those of us who are considering one of these. :cool:

LL, What trigger is that?

LL rocks ALG so probably close to 90% a ALG trigger.

LittleLebowski
06-27-2014, 06:17 AM
ALG trigger. Do like. Not a fan of expensive triggers but this one is cheap and works quite well.

Kyle Reese
06-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Stupid question, but I'll ask it anyways. Is there any ruling or regulation regarding the stock position on the tube? Does it have to be fixed in any particular position on the tube?

LittleLebowski
06-27-2014, 06:53 AM
Stupid question, but I'll ask it anyways. Is there any ruling or regulation regarding the stock position on the tube? Does it have to be fixed in any particular position on the tube?

Nope, there are no positions for this stock other than where you place it.

ATF letter (PDF) (http://sigsauer.com/upFiles/ATF-Compliant-Letter.pdf)

Chuck Haggard
06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
BOOM

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/3C4436B2-F4E9-4204-89C3-E08CFC67B2CD_zpseoyoynjd.jpg

LL, who makes that RE on your gun?

LittleLebowski
06-27-2014, 03:58 PM
LL, who makes that RE on your gun?

KAK.

5pins
06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
I had a feeling something like this would happen.:rolleyes:

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/jasonusvi/Brace2_zpsba6a2536.gif

JM Campbell
06-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Trying to resist....
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=117

jetfire
06-29-2014, 11:46 AM

So a thought on that specific usage. The ATF basically says they don't govern improper use of the SB15, right? But on something like that rig, there's no way to use it "properly" at all, because the stock adapter gets in the way of gripping the gun.

Just an observation, nothing more.

LittleLebowski
06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Sigh..... That must be the same guy that built a 5.45 pistol.....

5pins
06-29-2014, 12:58 PM
So a thought on that specific usage. The ATF basically says they don't govern improper use of the SB15, right? But on something like that rig, there's no way to use it "properly" at all, because the stock adapter gets in the way of gripping the gun.

I have the same feeling. Just because the ATF says it’s legal on an AR or similar type firearm doesn’t mean it’s legal on everything it can be attached to.

ffhounddog
06-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Fucq, now gay would be an improvement of what they just did, that owner needs to go back into moms basement and play videogames.

GJM
06-29-2014, 02:20 PM
This whole thread should be labeled NSFW, with the "W" in this case meaning wallet.

JM Campbell
06-29-2014, 02:22 PM
This whole thread should be labeled NSFW, with the "W" in this case meaning wallet.

Yep, I agree.

LittleLebowski
06-29-2014, 02:59 PM

Yup. First the brace. Then the buffer tube. The stripped lower. Lower parts and an ALG ACT trigger. OPTIC. LIGHT. Sling. Sling mount. Pistol grip. Rail covers. BCM upper with that amazing KMR rail. Then you start thinking about a suppressor for that short, light, and handy upper.......

BCM is basically selling crack with those sexy uppers ready to ship.

NickDrak
06-29-2014, 10:42 PM
I tried browsing thru this thread but couldn't find it....

Any idea on which buffer set-up works best for an 8.2" .300Blk pistol upper?

That's what I'm planning on building.

MSparks909
06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Yup. First the brace. Then the buffer tube. The stripped lower. Lower parts and an ALG ACT trigger. OPTIC. LIGHT. Sling. Sling mount. Pistol grip. Rail covers. BCM upper with that amazing KMR rail. Then you start thinking about a suppressor for that short, light, and handy upper.......

BCM is basically selling crack with those sexy uppers ready to ship.

So I'm not the only one then? That's good.

MSparks909
06-30-2014, 10:01 AM

C or H buffer. What barrel or upper are you going with?

LittleLebowski
06-30-2014, 10:02 AM
So I'm not the only one then? That's good.

It's been a rough two weeks on my wallet :D

NickDrak
06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
C or H buffer. What barrel or upper are you going with?

I was looking at the 8.2" Rainier Arms .300blk barrels. Planning on building it up piece by piece.

Looks like all of Raniers .300blk barrels have pistol length gas systems (even their 10.5" barrels). Is that standard for .300blk?

LittleLebowski
06-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Planning on building it up piece by piece.

One piece at a time?

Haraise
06-30-2014, 10:35 AM
One piece at a time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM&feature=kp

LittleLebowski
06-30-2014, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM&feature=kp

Thank you :D

NickDrak
06-30-2014, 12:11 PM
One piece at a time?

Yessir, need to sneak it in under the radar if you catch my drift ;)

abu fitna
06-30-2014, 01:30 PM

While I think this is a terrible idea in terms of practicality and utility, I don't believe a blanket statement that the adaptor to which the brace is fitted interferes with the grip. There are plenty of precedents for thumbhole type grips on firearms, and while these are usually target type models for Olympic and other bullseye competition, I would be wary of claiming that such features are on their face improper.

I do have concerns with this particular build, not because of the brace, but because of the original adaptor used to fit the brace. This is a less than desirable test case, IMHO, but at least gives the potential for the brace to be distinguished from the fitting.

Of course, if this is on a Glock 18 it would at least be consistent with a specific configuration used in particular regions.

Now I can see SIG pushing to brace their adaptive carbine platform, as this would be designed from the ground up as a pistol modification for usability.... A similar purpose built option for the Glock would be a better test case at least.

Still not worth a damn in the field, but...

Byron
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
While I think this is a terrible idea in terms of practicality and utility, I don't believe a blanket statement that the adaptor to which the brace is fitted interferes with the grip. There are plenty of precedents for thumbhole type grips on firearms, and while these are usually target type models for Olympic and other bullseye competition, I would be wary of claiming that such features are on their face improper.
It's not an issue of it being thumbhole style. When used as designed, the opening on the 'brace' should align with the pistol grip so that the arm passes through and grabs the grip.

On the Glock installation, the brace is well below the grip. If you tried to actually thread your arm through it, your trigger finger would be in line with the last (or second to last) finger groove at the bottom of the grip. And that's assuming you can adequately reach past the adapter itself.

If you're using it as a shoulder stock, of course it doesn't interfere with grip. But I believe Caleb's point is that it's hard to claim it's a brace (and should therefore enjoy exemption) when it can't actually be used as a brace. The only way I can see using that setup "properly" (i.e. how the brace was designed) would require arms from one of our primate cousins.

Seeing things like this makes me very reluctant to put together a brace build. This nagging part of my brain is saying, "It's only a matter of time before someone takes this far enough to ruin the party for everyone." (Like the 5.45 pistol woes as mentioned by LL)

JAD
06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
One piece at a time?
http://youtu.be/Go8M0DbygQQ

abu fitna
06-30-2014, 02:04 PM
It's not an issue of it being thumbhole style. When used as designed, the opening on the 'brace' should align with the pistol grip so that the arm passes through and grabs the grip.

On the Glock installation, the brace is well below the grip. If you tried to actually thread your arm through it, your trigger finger would be in line with the last (or second to last) finger groove at the bottom of the grip. And that's assuming you can adequately reach past the adapter itself.

If you're using it as a shoulder stock, of course it doesn't interfere with grip. But I believe Caleb's point is that it's hard to claim it's a brace (and should therefore enjoy exemption) when it can't actually be used as a brace. The only way I can see using that setup "properly" (i.e. how the brace was designed) would require arms from one of our primate cousins.

Looking at the example with your points in mind, I can definitely see what you are saying. I think this goes back to the fitting - a different design would perhaps be acceptable for a classic pistol such as the glock, but using this particular adaptor does seem to be more problematic.

But there may well be room for a better design out there... although I share your concerns that testing those boundaries may invoke that unfortunate consequences of an arbitrary and capricious decision process by a regulator who is likely already unhappy at being pinned to the contradictions of badly scoped administrative process. In any event, not something I would chose to do - I don't think they have made the right derpes vaccine yet.

YVK
06-30-2014, 02:13 PM

A complete factory AAC 9.5 pistol is supposedly coming set with H2 buffer. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow from my FFL.

NickDrak
06-30-2014, 04:56 PM
A complete factory AAC 9.5 pistol is supposedly coming set with H2 buffer. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow from my FFL.

The more I search around, pistol length gas systems on .300blk barrels under 16" seems to be the norm.

NickDrak
06-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Here's what my pistol build sheet looks like as of now....

*Mega stripped lower receiver

*Colt lower parts except for B.A.D ambi safety, B.A.D. take down pins and an ALG trigger

*BCM M4 upper receiver

*Noveske or Rainier Arms 8.2" barrel

*Noveske 9" NSR handguard

*Noveske .30cal KX5 *whenever available **hopefully before my build is complete ;)

*Noveske marked/RCA bolt carrier group

*Rainier Raptor charging handle

*Sig SB-15 brace

*KAK Sig brace buffer tube

*Sprinco blue buffer spring

*H2 buffer

*LAW Tactical Gen2 folding stock adapter ***ONLY If it will function properly with my build

SeriousStudent
06-30-2014, 06:43 PM

*LAW Tactical Gen2 folding stock adapter ***ONLY If it will function properly with my build

Nick, I would be very interested in how that adapter works for you. I'm putting together a similarly compact build.

Thanks and stay safe.

GJM
07-01-2014, 12:20 AM
My, oops, I mean my wife's AAC arrived today, with the brace already installed. Didn't have time to do paperwork, but coonfingered it some. Very impressed! The AAC, the WC 92A1 and a VP9 courtesy of the gadgeteer -- like Christmas in the summer.

helothar
07-01-2014, 06:50 PM
also looking to start piecing one of these together, any feedback on aero precision blemished lowers? seem to be the cheapest at 55 bux

YVK
07-01-2014, 09:53 PM
BOOM

BOOM-BOOM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Heartachedoc/20140701_203608_zps3ca67c69.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Heartachedoc/media/20140701_203608_zps3ca67c69.jpg.html)

This is my personal record in amount of shit bolted to an AR in 5 min.

LittleLebowski
07-02-2014, 06:27 AM
BOOM-BOOM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Heartachedoc/20140701_203608_zps3ca67c69.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Heartachedoc/media/20140701_203608_zps3ca67c69.jpg.html)

This is my personal record in amount of shit bolted to an AR in 5 min.

I'm waiting on my X3000 MK Ultra but otherwise, right behind you.

Tamara
07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
No shit.

I woke up the dogs LOL'ing. :D

justintime
07-03-2014, 07:46 AM
After all of this I have my upper and now I can't decide if I want to go with the sig brace or the acc saddle. Does anyone know if the acc saddle will fit with the law folder?

LittleLebowski
07-03-2014, 07:56 AM
After all of this I have my upper and now I can't decide if I want to go with the sig brace or the acc saddle. Does anyone know if the acc saddle will fit with the law folder?

Do you mean the CAA saddle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T6HOQC/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001T6HOQC&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20)?

justintime
07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Yep that one. I have seen it with some kind of cap so it fits the buffer.

Byron
07-03-2014, 09:24 AM
When used 'improperly' as a shoulder stock, the SB15 offers significantly more surface area for mounting than the CAA saddle.

What appeals to you about the CAA? Or maybe to phrase it a different way, what do you think it offers that the SB15 doesn't? Not asking a trick question: I'm genuinely curious if there's something I'm overlooking about the CAA.

Looking at customer photos of how people traditionally use it, I'm having a hard time imagining how it would maintain stability on a buffer tube without an actual shoulder stock:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001T6HOQC/ref=cm_cr_dp_cust_img_see_all_txt

GJM
07-03-2014, 09:48 AM
I am thinking something like an X400 U with green laser would be an awesome light/back-up sighting system on an AAC 9 inch .BLK upper. Think mounted at 12 o'clock on the rail, it would fit under a T1 in a Larue mount?

jc000
07-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Trying to resist....
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=117

I had asked Sionics about configuring a pistol for me and they seemed ok with that. I currently have one of their patrol rifles which I've been thrilled with.

MSparks909
07-03-2014, 06:39 PM
also looking to start piecing one of these together, any feedback on aero precision blemished lowers? seem to be the cheapest at 55 bux

Palmetto State Armory is having a 4th of July sale. Stripped lowers are $49.99 with free shipping. That's better than the Aero deal. With that said, I ordered my Aero blems before I found out about the PSA deal. Would have went that way just to save some extra $. The Aero blems seem to be high quality and the fit to my DD upper is excellent.

MSparks909
07-03-2014, 06:43 PM

*Mega stripped lower receiver

*Colt lower parts except for B.A.D ambi safety, B.A.D. take down pins and an ALG trigger

*BCM M4 upper receiver

*Noveske or Rainier Arms 8.2" barrel

*Noveske 9" NSR handguard

*Noveske .30cal KX5 *whenever available **hopefully before my build is complete ;)

*Noveske marked/RCA bolt carrier group

*Rainier Raptor charging handle

*Sig SB-15 brace

*KAK Sig brace buffer tube

*Sprinco blue buffer spring

*H2 buffer

I'd consider a Sprinco White and a BCM BCG unless you just want a Noveske/RCA to match the rest of your Noveske stuff. Cause a BCM BCG is like $50 less than a Noveske/RCA and meets mil-spec in all regards.

I say Sprinco White because I'm not sure if a Sprinco Blue/H2 will be too much for a .300BLK pistol. If you have another carbine, test bolt lockback with a regular carbine spring and a H2. If it locks back with no issues then you could probably run a Sprinco Blue.

Shipwreck
07-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Everytime I see a gun with this sig brace on it, I am sorely tempted to set something up for it...

YVK
07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
I started to zero my 300blk sb 15 thing. I love it. I think the noise and concussion out of 9 inch blackout are less annoying than out of 16 inch 5.56. This thing is my favorite AR.

Shawn.L
07-04-2014, 09:56 PM
I started to zero my 300blk sb 15 thing. I love it. I think the noise and concussion out of 9 inch blackout are less annoying than out of 16 inch 5.56. This thing is my favorite AR.

Got a little chrono action today with my 10.5" Noveske
Barnes TAC-TX avg 2190fps
Remington 125 OTM avg 2100fps
Remington 220 subs avg 990fps
Ozark 147 reloads avg 1740fps

GJM
07-04-2014, 11:40 PM
So tonight, my wife and I go out to zero her AAC .300 BLK AR pistol, using Barnes factory Vortx ammo. After shot six, the bolt is locked up, out if battery. I had to take a 2x4 off a target stand to beat it open. From that point on, bolt carrier and bolt won't seat forward. Back at the cabin 100 miles from town, I disassemble and compare with a Colt 6920 upper. Both bolt carrier assemblies work fine in Colt upper. Neither works in .300 upper. YVK thinks something got loose or out of spec with the barrel extension -- this make sense? Any trouble shooting ideas, other than to send it back to AAC?

Suvorov
07-05-2014, 12:10 AM
So tonight, my wife and I go out to zero her AAC .300 BLK AR pistol, using Barnes factory Vortx ammo. After shot six, the bolt is locked up, out if battery. I had to take a 2x4 off a target stand to beat it open. From that point on, bolt carrier and bolt won't seat forward. Back at the cabin 100 miles from town, I disassemble and compare with a Colt 6920 upper. Both bolt carrier assemblies work fine in Colt upper. Neither works in .300 upper. YVK thinks something got loose or out of spec with the barrel extension -- this make sense? Any trouble shooting ideas, other than to send it back to AAC?

We had a customer show up at the range about a month ago with two brand new AAC uppers. After a few shots they locked up like you mentioned, the BCG would fail to go into battery after locking up. Swapped out the BCGs with another AR and the BCGs seemed fine (the rifle was 556 so it didn't fire obviously). Near as I could tell, it seemed the hang up was on the gas tube - as the tube heated up it expanded and caused the mischief. I advised him to send them back to AAC as maybe they had a batch of out of spec gas tubes? I haven't see the guy since, so I never did get any follow up.

If you have the tools (which I imagine you do), maybe try a new gas tube?

YVK
07-05-2014, 12:19 AM
That upper has the URX 3 rail. Unless 3 is different from 2 and 1, it requires some special tools to remove.

G, when you get back home, take some hi-res, magnified pics of bbl extension and gas tube. In a pic you sent me the tube seems slightly different than mine, as if the tip is broken on yours, but angle is different too.

GJM
07-05-2014, 08:19 PM
The gas tube idea is a good one. When I stripped the BCG, it won't go all the way forward -- same as when fully assembled. To my ameteur eyes, the gas tube looks off center:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/imagejpg1_zps858d9831.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/imagejpg1_zps858d9831.jpg.html)

GJM
07-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Pretty funny afternoon. Since my wife's .300 BLK was TU, she confirmed zero on her .450 Marlin, built on a model 70. It starts a 400 grain a Swift bullet at 2,150 fps -- essentially a .458 lite in a 6.5 pound rifle. After shooting six rounds, my wife pronounced the AAC .300 BLK was a LOT more fun to shoot!

Suvorov
07-05-2014, 08:41 PM
The gas tube idea is a good one. When I stripped the BCG, it won't go all the way forward -- same as when fully assembled. To my ameteur eyes, the gas tube looks off center:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/imagejpg1_zps858d9831.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/imagejpg1_zps858d9831.jpg.html)

Interesting to know. Like I said yours would be the third AAC upper with this issue that I know of. Wonder if they have started sourcing Bushmaster parts?

LHS
07-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Well, it was only a matter of time. CNC Warrior is selling a side-folding AK brace adapter for the Yugo PAP pistols.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=26561

Now you can choose to use your brace or fold it out of the way, for compactness.

It's getting harder and harder to resist something like this for my Draco.

helothar
07-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Palmetto State Armory is having a 4th of July sale. Stripped lowers are $49.99 with free shipping. That's better than the Aero deal. With that said, I ordered my Aero blems before I found out about the PSA deal. Would have went that way just to save some extra $. The Aero blems seem to be high quality and the fit to my DD upper is excellent.

Thanks! I got my order in for one of the PSA lowers

Mitch
07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Any more range reports on these? I'm very tempted to build my own that would fit in a saddle bag on a motorcycle.

JM Campbell
07-16-2014, 02:33 PM
http://www.law-guns.com/ar-15300blackout8pistolbarrel.aspx

I'll be your Huckleberry.

8" 300blk pistol build here I come.

1slow
07-17-2014, 01:07 AM
How do you feel about this with the folding hinge parts on a Arsenal AK pistol in 7.62x39, a SAM7K in particular. I am very used to their full sized AKs.

Suvorov
07-17-2014, 01:17 AM
The LGS is asking way too much for a SIG PM400 but with the end of the single shot exemption (that allows mere mortals to buy fancy handguns in Kalifornia) all but a sure bet and the limited selection of pistol ARs and SSE dealers close to me, I might not have any other choice. I know I'll be kicking myself every day until I get out of this state if I don't pick one up when I have the chance (like so many other things).

Now it is time to figure out what buffer to use on this most likely over gassed beast.

TheTrevor
07-17-2014, 02:04 AM
The LGS is asking way too much for a SIG PM400 but with the end of the single shot exemption (that allows mere mortals to buy fancy handguns in Kalifornia) all but a sure bet and the limited selection of pistol ARs and SSE dealers close to me, I might not have any other choice. I know I'll be kicking myself every day until I get out of this state if I don't pick one up when I have the chance (like so many other things).

Now it is time to figure out what buffer to use on this most likely over gassed beast.

I'm a big fan of Syrac adjustable gas blocks. You still have to get the buffer weight reasonably close to correct, but being able to adjust the gas block's effective aperture makes things much easier.

LittleLebowski
07-17-2014, 06:01 AM

DO EET

Kyle Reese
07-17-2014, 09:31 AM

It's easier to cry over a credit card statement than spending the rest of your life wishing that you'd bought that one gun that got away.

RevolverRob
07-17-2014, 02:54 PM
So, folks who have experience with short guns in 5.56 - 10.5" or 7.5" upper?

-Rob

Sadmin
07-17-2014, 03:38 PM
11.5 for me- those in the know report more reliable cycling than 10.5 from what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
07-17-2014, 07:14 PM
I was leaning towards longer is better, so that's good. Now the tough decision - 5.56 or .300 BLK? I was leaning towards 5.56 for more inexpensive ammunition, but it seems .300 BLKs run better in shorter guns. I also admit a not so mild love affair with .30 caliber rifles over 'poodle shooters'. A company in Houston is running uppers, your choice 7.5" or 10.5" in 5.56 or .300 BLK all the same price, so it's buyers choice on these and the deal is too good for me to pass up.

This gun is going to be a road-trip gun and will be the house 'long-gun' once I get the paperwork squared away in Illinois. Courtesy of the new Illinois concealed carry law's state-level preemption, Chicago and Cook County AWBs cannot regulate pistols, making an AR15 pistol my only Chicago-legal option for an AR. So this gun isn't just a "fun" gun but is a serious one.

So, 5.56 or .300 BLK? I won't be suppressing it any time soon, so that's not a concern. Although, it's nice to fire subsonics on indoor ranges.

-Rob

YVK
07-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Ammo would be my concern for 300blk in Illinois. Do webstores ship freely there? In the past many didn't want to bother, and it is not common or economic off the shelf caliber.

TheTrevor
07-18-2014, 12:01 AM
My standard response when friends & acquaintances ask me about 300BLK is "only if you're willing to load your own ammo". The barrier to entry for reloading 300BLK is quite low now that there are multiple sellers offering bulk 300BLK brass made from once-fired 5.56 casings, and if you're a low-volume shooter you can even do it all on a single-stage press.

When I took a carbine course with Costa last year, he wasn't feeding his 300BLK carbine store-bought boxed ammo, for example. It was all bench-loaded rounds in hand-labeled boxes, though granted they were made by the same guy that supplies his 7.62 precision rifle ammo.

NickDrak
07-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Ammo would be my concern for 300blk in Illinois. Do webstores ship freely there? In the past many didn't want to bother, and it is not common or economic off the shelf caliber.

Most places will ship to IL as long as it is to an address outside of Cook county.

YVK
07-18-2014, 01:06 AM
That's true. I realized I remember it because Cook was where I lived.

noob3sh
07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
I was leaning towards longer is better, so that's good. Now the tough decision - 5.56 or .300 BLK? I was leaning towards 5.56 for more inexpensive ammunition, but it seems .300 BLKs run better in shorter guns. I also admit a not so mild love affair with .30 caliber rifles over 'poodle shooters'. A company in Houston is running uppers, your choice 7.5" or 10.5" in 5.56 or .300 BLK all the same price, so it's buyers choice on these and the deal is too good for me to pass up.

This gun is going to be a road-trip gun and will be the house 'long-gun' once I get the paperwork squared away in Illinois. Courtesy of the new Illinois concealed carry law's state-level preemption, Chicago and Cook County AWBs cannot regulate pistols, making an AR15 pistol my only Chicago-legal option for an AR. So this gun isn't just a "fun" gun but is a serious one.

So, 5.56 or .300 BLK? I won't be suppressing it any time soon, so that's not a concern. Although, it's nice to fire subsonics on indoor ranges.

-Rob

I have my 8.2" Blackout Ordered, and I get to pick it up pretty soon. I've heard only good things about going 300blk with the short barrel. As for ammo prices, if you aren't reloading already, then you should start.

3 cent - primers with shipping from bullets.com.

4.5 cents - Powder with shipping

9.5 cent flat nose bullets http://www.xtremebullets.com/308-150-FP-p/xc308-150fp-b0500.htm
or
18 cent (probably) more accurate 150g hornady's http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/Item/001533037B?Tk=DFBU

17 or 26 cent rounds including shipping. I haven't shot the .308 hornady's, but the same bullet in 5.56 is sub-moa in my ar15. And capable of pinging a 12" gong at 550 yards all day.

So from a reloaders perspective, the blackout is actually about a cent cheaper per round than 5.56 for me. (3 cent primer, 7 cent powder, 8 cent hornady bullet).

ps. Registered to the forum just to post this.

edit: The cheaper .308's will need to be kept around 1500-1600 fps. I think 150gr are capable of around 1800fps in blackout, so you will have to sacrifice some speed for the cheap plinking ammo. I haven't decided on which I'll buy in bulk yet, since I have a lot of .308 sierra's from my AR10.

GJM
07-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I can't remember having as much fun with an AR, as with the AAC .300 AR pistol. Without a can, shooting subsonic 110 grain Barnes ammo, it seems quieter with its 9 inch barrel than a 16 inch 5.56.

I have no problem with having two top ends -- one in 5.56 for practice, and the .300 for carry. Especially, since they use the same magazines.

Suvorov
07-24-2014, 07:54 AM
I can't remember having as much fun with an AR, as with the AAC .300 AR pistol. Without a can, shooting subsonic 110 grain Barnes ammo, it seems quieter with its 9 inch barrel than a 16 inch 5.56.

I have no problem with having two top ends -- one in 5.56 for practice, and the .300 for carry. Especially, since they use the same magazines.

So they are up and running?

What was the fix?

In other news - Gov Brown signed the handgun ban bill last Friday. I beat the rush! Thanks for helping to push me over the edge guys.

Chuck Haggard
07-24-2014, 08:35 AM
In 5.56 I don't like to go below 11.5

Yes, you can get a shorter gun to run, with work, but why? A 7.5" 5.56 AR is a VERY loud .22magnum. One would be better off using a 5.7 at that point IMHO

helothar
08-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Finally got my PSA stripped lower from the 4th of July sale, now I need moar parts!

So next on the list I guess will be a LPK, so for the gurus here are there any which are a good deal, or any to avoid?
What makes one LPK better than another?

Suvorov
08-02-2014, 02:33 AM
Finally got my PSA stripped lower from the 4th of July sale, now I need moar parts!

So next on the list I guess will be a LPK, so for the gurus here are there any which are a good deal, or any to avoid?
What makes one LPK better than another?

There was at least one long circular discussion on m4carbine.net about this. I don't recall any real conclusion other than "parts ain't just parts" and that one is probably better off buying parts sold by the same manufactures that make trusted rifles.

JMS
08-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Given the opportunity, I'll cough up the $$$ for a Daniel Defense LPK.

That said, PSA's LPKs still use a lot of FN-sourced parts, and the fact that you can often get a kit the type/color pistol grip you prefer, sometimes eve with specific trigger/hammer groups, makes them very attractive, as does the pricing. Used several different ones from PSA, and everything's been dimensionally sound, lacked any prominent seams of flash, etc.

NickDrak
08-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Personally, I always order Colt small parts from Brownell's.

I order only the small parts I need (detents, springs, castle nut, bolt catch, mag catch, etc) along with the specific trigger, grip, ambi-safety, etc. that I want so that I'm not getting any extra bits Im not going to use.

Chuck Haggard
08-03-2014, 04:56 AM

I order only the small parts I need (detents, springs, castle nut, bolt catch, mag catch, etc) along with the specific trigger, grip, ambi-safety, etc. that I want so that I'm not getting any extra bits Im not going to use.

^This^

BWT
08-04-2014, 06:00 PM
In 5.56 I don't like to go below 11.5

Yes, you can get a shorter gun to run, with work, but why? A 7.5" 5.56 AR is a VERY loud .22magnum. One would be better off using a 5.7 at that point IMHO

I'm with him.

JM Campbell
08-04-2014, 06:30 PM
And its done

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/by3a7yva.jpg2495

LittleLebowski
08-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Details on the build?

And its done

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/by3a7yva.jpg2495

LittleLebowski
08-04-2014, 06:58 PM

I wish I'd thought of that before now.

JM Campbell
08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
300blk 8" barrel pistol length gas
Silencer Co specwar flash hider mount
Aero precision upper stripped
Aero upper build parts
Samson 7" rail
MagPul left offset light mount
TLR1
Trijicon dual illuminated rmr on ADM mount
Samson Fr HK sight
MagPul m buis rear
Spikes lower, ALG trigger, KAK gen2 pistol tube no spacers
Sigbrace

Maiden voyage hopefully next weekend if I get ammo in time. Will be shot suppressed and non.

LittleLebowski
08-08-2014, 06:16 AM
300blk 8" barrel pistol length gas
Silencer Co specwar flash hider mount
Aero precision upper stripped
Aero upper build parts
Samson 7" rail
MagPul left offset light mount
TLR1
Trijicon dual illuminated rmr on ADM mount
Samson Fr HK sight
MagPul m buis rear
Spikes lower, ALG trigger, KAK gen2 pistol tube no spacers
Sigbrace

Maiden voyage hopefully next weekend if I get ammo in time. Will be shot suppressed and non.

Wow, slick build! I assume you'll be using a Specwar 7.62 suppressor?

JM Campbell
08-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Correct, plans changed first range shoot so the following weekend is the test date. Ammo shipping problems.

ETA
Barrel is from a new company called white river armory, a subsidiary of 10 ring llc out of Colorado. Not sure on the performance, but I've bought alot more expensive stuff and regretted it so $100 barrel is a drop in the bucket and get me into the game until I can source a noveske barrel which are like unicorn horns right now.

NickA
08-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Correct, plans changed first range shoot so the following weekend is the test date. Ammo shipping problems.

Let me know and I'll try to make it, cuz I need to give you and Justintime another chance to make me spend money :eek:

JM Campbell
08-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm building Justin one next week.....your next

Eli
08-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I've seen a few of the AK pistols with the SB47 brace, while I do like the idea, I also think that having an AK pistol that's as long as a 16" AR with a collapsed stock is just plain dumb.............so I didn't do that.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/frvg1.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/frvg2.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/frvg4.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/frvg3.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/frvg5.jpg

Serbian (yugo) M92 PAP AK pistol.

KAK FDE Cerakoted Super Sig Tube and the small section out of their spacer kit.

Stormwerkz buffer tube folding mechanism.

Stormwerkz 6 degree trunnion plate with sling mount.

Blue Force Gear wire sling loop.

An FDE Sig Brace.

Midwest Industries quad rail.

Magpul XTM handstop kit.

Manticore Arms Nightbrake.

SecondsCount
08-12-2014, 10:14 PM
That is pretty slick.

Mrs. SC and I had the opportunity to shoot YVK's setup last week and after she shot it she turned to me with a grin and gave me the green light to build one. :)

Zhurdan
08-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Seriously considering one of these for my Dakota Tactical MP5 pistol, even though I only have about six more months till the stamp gets here.

Chuck Haggard
08-13-2014, 08:28 AM
I just saw that BCM is now building a pistol tube, and going to come up with a pistol pretty soon. I now know which tube I am going to buy for the one I want to put together.

TR675
08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
...Manticore Arms Nightbrake.

That is slick. How do you like the Manticore? Any functioning issues with it as opposed to the factory mount? Does it provide backpressure to cycle the rifle reliably like a four-chambered Bulgarian brake or is the gas port on that barrel enlarged enough to not need the assistance?

Eli
08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Does it provide backpressure to cycle the rifle reliably like a four-chambered Bulgarian brake or is the gas port on that barrel enlarged enough to not need the assistance?

Neither, it works as is.
Cut the factory nut off, clean the gunk out of the threads, install a detent, screw on the brake (some to take note of is that the PAP pistols have a 26mm thread, instead of the standard 24mm), and you're good to go. I've put a couple hundred rounds of 123gr. Wolf through it and it's worked fine so far.

That is slick. How do you like the Manticore?

Love it. This thing was designed to be a "fun gun", the Nightbrake definitely helps deliver. The recoil is about the same as my AR with the A2 birdcage, but the blast and concussion is like you're touching off one of the comped Smith .500s, it's impossible to put a mag through this thing an not have an ear to ear grin on your face at the end.

Archimagirus
08-14-2014, 07:29 PM
I had be watching this thread with a sense of detached bemusement, I thought the whole Sig Brace thing was kind of a silly, yet effective thumb in the eye of the NFA and watched this thread just for all of the pictures of neat guns. Then I went to a local shop that had built one like LL's with the BCM key mod rail. Last night I ordered my pistol lower and priced out the BCM upper. The AR pistol with Sig Brace reminds me very of much of my favorite rifle ever, a 16 inch .357 Mag Winchester 94 trapper. If anyone else is looking to build one, Palmetto State is running a complete pistol lower for $129. I don't have any experience with their lowers but I liked the upper I had from them. Once I get it, I will let you know what I think of it. While I thank you all for the ideas and input from this thread, my credit card and bank account aren't very happy right now.

justintime
08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
I went the saddle stock route

Byron
08-15-2014, 10:11 AM
I went the saddle stock route
What factors/features/considerations led you to that choice?

SweetScienceOfShooting
08-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I just got sucked into doing an AR pistol build as well. I already bought the upper, a BCM 11.5" w/ 10" KMR, and included BCG. I am still in the process of building the lower but I am going to go with a Phase 5 buffer tube assembly instead of the Sig brace. Like mentioned earlier in the thread, BCM has recently come out with their pistol receiver extensions, and per their FB page, pistol builds are coming next month, which I read as complete pistol lowers.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-Pistol-RE

JM Campbell
08-15-2014, 11:04 AM
What factors/features/considerations led you to that choice?

I wouldn't let him copy mine since I was building it. :eek:

I believe it was less expensive and has a better LOP for his body size.

I have not shot it yet but do not like the shorter length and I believe it will not be as comfortable as the sig brace. Just my opinion.

justintime
08-15-2014, 12:08 PM
I went that route for size mostly.
I'm going to add a law folder which will make it very compact and the lop will be just right for me. It also doesn't weigh much.

Ran it today suppressed and unsuppressed and it is awesome. The cheap barrel is pretty accurate too. Brass looks good as well. Turns out john might put together a mean black rifle

NickA
08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
For reference, one justintime = approximately 1/2 a Skyline1, so their fit is pretty different on a long gun :-)

NickDrak
08-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Progress....

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b497/Nick_Drakulich/photo1_zps1c2efb7d.jpg

NickDrak
08-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Sig brace, trigger, gas block, BCM BCG, and the rest of the small parts are in the mail. Should be complete next week. Now I just need to decided on an optic. I'll probably wait until after the new Aimpoint "T2" is released and pick up a lightly used H2 off of the EE somewhere for dirt cheap ;)

JM Campbell
08-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Had a blast with some great guys at the range yesterday shooting some 300blk and 556 rifles.

220gr subsonic loads in 300blk are no joke quite as church mice. It was too much fun and I'm planning on a specwar to be added to the books soon.

110gr 300 whisper were fairly quiet as well suppressed.

Big thanks to HCM for bringing out a fun riffle we got our grubby hands on for some trigger time.

My thoughts on the sig brace:
It's Ok...LOP was great for me which was pretty cool...pulled out some beard hair, fought with my ear pro a little to get down on the rmr. Window of the rmr seemed too small for me on a rifle, time will tell but 65 yard rapid hits on steal were pretty fun and easy once I found the right place to put my melon head. This little pistol is going to turn out to be a fun little hog killer.

I didn't have a chance to run Justin's pistol with the side saddle. It was sidelined do to special magic suppressor/mount compound failure. It was such a nice shade of green too ;). Next time I get some pics up, I was having too much fun and forgot to take any.

LittleLebowski
08-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Had a blast with some great guys at the range yesterday shooting some 300blk and 556 rifles.

220gr subsonic loads in 300blk are no joke quite as church mice. It was too much fun and I'm planning on a specwar to be added to the books soon.

110gr 300 whisper were fairly quiet as well suppressed.

Big thanks to HCM for bringing out a fun riffle we got our grubby hands on for some trigger time.

My thoughts on the sig brace:
It's Ok...LOP was great for me which was pretty cool...pulled out some beard hair, fought with my ear pro a little to get down on the rmr. Window of the rmr seemed too small for me on a rifle, time will tell but 65 yard rapid hits on steal were pretty fun and easy once I found the right place to put my melon head. This little pistol is going to turn out to be a fun little hog killer.

I didn't have a chance to run Justin's pistol with the side saddle. It was sidelined do to special magic suppressor/mount compound failure. It was such a nice shade of green too ;). Next time I get some pics up, I was having too much fun and forgot to take any.

Sounds like a great range session, I need me one of those.

justintime
08-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I am less than impressed with 300 blk shootability out to 300 yards. That said the rifle is very accurate. using my eotech and a less than ideal rest I shot a 10 shot 1" group. recoil is very manageable in the 8" barrels with both the sig brace and the saddle kit. I am not sure which I like better but I would say the sig brace is the way to go if your not trying to get the most compact rifle you can. Sub loads are very very quiet and have very little recoil. Interestingly poi shift is minimal at 100 yards with sub/super loadings. Can didnt seem to alter the zero of either rifle running the specwar. We didn't run the subloads through my gun but with the can everything cycles fine and ejection looks ideal. Oddly the brass seems the launch almost like an ak47 and flies out almost ten feet away. These things are badass and super handy! Im impressed that a 100 dollar barrel can work so well as I honestly was half expecting them to be throw-aways. Im not sure but I think I want to build another one with a wilson barrel and use this little guy as a training gun.

HCM
08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
It was great fun, Thanks guys. I've been on the bubble between building a 6.8 or a 300blk as a hog hunting gun and I'm leaning 300 at this point.

PS- White River's web site isn't showing barrels, just complete uppers - did you have to call ?

NickA
08-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Yep, a great time, and the little 300BLK's were a hoot, especially with the sub loads. Thanks to all of you for sharing your toys with my lowly no-AR-owning self.
Based on my extremely limited AR experience the SIG brace didn't seem too hard to shoot with. Might not want to do 1000 rounds in a day with it, but I'll never do that anyway. If I ever get around to getting an AR I'll have to seriously consider this set up.

JM Campbell
08-18-2014, 05:34 PM
It was great fun, Thanks guys. I've been on the bubble between building a 6.8 or a 300blk as a hog hunting gun and I'm leaning 300 at this point.

PS- White River's web site isn't showing barrels, just complete uppers - did you have to call ?

They sold out of the first 100 count run. Supposedly another run will be available in the next few weeks.

Zhurdan
08-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Me likey! Shot 90 rounds through it with the brace on, it was fantastic!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/WP_20140826_12_24_40_Pro_zps04e4b99a.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Zhurdan/media/WP_20140826_12_24_40_Pro_zps04e4b99a.jpg.html)

JM Campbell
08-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Me likey! Shot 90 rounds through it with the brace on, it was fantastic!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/WP_20140826_12_24_40_Pro_zps04e4b99a.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Zhurdan/media/WP_20140826_12_24_40_Pro_zps04e4b99a.jpg.html)

MUST....RESIST.......failing....

Zhurdan
08-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Your beard hair would prefer the Atlantic Firearms version.. you can pick between 1", 1.5" or add them both for LOP options, and I have a beard. No beard hairs were harmed during the 90 rounds fired this afternoon. :p

NickDrak
08-30-2014, 10:09 PM
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b497/Nick_Drakulich/300BLKlive_zps27a4c6e8.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Nick_Drakulich/media/300BLKlive_zps27a4c6e8.jpg.html)

Finally took it out today to test fire....

Was only able to run 60rds thru it today. Ran like a champ. Bolt locked back after the last round every time.

It shoots a lot softer than I thought it would. Really not much more felt recoil than a 5.56 gun.

Super accurate. I went with the cheapest (Select) 8.5 barrel that Rainier makes: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3391

I only got to shoot it @ 50yds but all the rounds were in the same hole when I didn't f*** up. I would say it is easily a 1MOA gun @ 100yds. I was shooting a Hornady "Custom" 300 WSPR/BLK 110gr V-Max load #8089 that I found locally.

It was kinda tough to get a good solid prone shooting position with the Sig brace. A real stock would help a bunch.

I forgot to put my ear-pro on and fired one round without it. Surprisingly my ears didn't even really ring at all. The KX5 seems to work as designed

The Vortex 1-6x was only used to shoot groups. I will be getting either an Aimpoint Micro or Triji RMR for it.

Crews
09-04-2014, 07:04 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/04/4uzy6ygy.jpg

First confirmed kill with mine in 556 this weekend.

JM Campbell
09-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Some personal time.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/09/anu4utas.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/09/qygyzyqu.jpg

Now it's time to reload the brass.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/09/esasahum.jpg

lightning fast
09-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Sights are still AWOL.
https://33.media.tumblr.com/5bed0b1ebdce8f108be95aa3214b2076/tumblr_nbt84419Vt1r88wgno1_500.jpg

NickDrak
09-16-2014, 09:39 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/300Blkfinal_zps34d6beff.jpg

I ended up going with a Vortex Razor 3MOA red dot w/ADM QD mount I found on the cheap on Ebay. I dig the Razor red dot so far in terms of build quality and features. We'll see how it holds up over time.

I help teach a LE vehicle tactics course and we do a ballistics "Lab" on day 1 of the class where we shoot thru car windshields & doors, etc to test deflection. The .300Blk had very little deflection thru the windshield as expected with most .30cal rifle rounds.

I like this lil rascal more and more every time I get to shoot it ;)

JM Campbell
10-19-2014, 08:27 PM
For those that run 300blk I just received my first case of 240gr lead Hi-Tek coated bullets from Leatherhead Bullets. Should be doing some load development this next weekend.

www.leatherheadbullets.com

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/20/ehuvuzyq.jpg

Crews
10-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Just checked their website out... Very interested in what kind of results you get!

John Hearne
10-20-2014, 11:25 AM
You guys are killing me. I'm on the road and don't have a tape handy but, how long is the rifle with just an upper receiver and 11.5" barrel? If I do this, I'm putting a LAW adapter on it and would like to know how small I can go on a case.

LittleLebowski
10-20-2014, 01:57 PM
I was pleased with this five round group at 50 yards with Wolf ammo out of my lightweight barrel 11.5" BCM pistol build. I'm certain that it's capable of better accuracy with quality ammo and better shooting conditions. Groups like this and better were the norm from the prone at 50. The gun gobbled mixed Wolf and brass like a champ, never let me down.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_3331_zps26df7b60.jpg

LittleLebowski
10-20-2014, 03:29 PM
You guys are killing me. I'm on the road and don't have a tape handy but, how long is the rifle with just an upper receiver and 11.5" barrel? If I do this, I'm putting a LAW adapter on it and would like to know how small I can go on a case.

Just measured my BCM, just about 20" and 3/8s from rear of receiver (did NOT measure the end plate) to tip of A2 flash hider.

John Hearne
10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Just measured my BCM, just about 20" and 3/8s from rear of receiver (did NOT measure the end plate) to tip of A2 flash hider.

Thanks, I think...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
10-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I think...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Let me know if you need anything else; this is the 11.5" build.

Mitch
10-20-2014, 04:18 PM
How's the comfort level shooting with the sb15 in the prone?

LittleLebowski
10-20-2014, 04:42 PM
How's the comfort level shooting with the sb15 in the prone?

Great, couldn't feel a difference. I whacked myself on the upper lip with the charging handle during a sprinting part of a drill but that's probably due to my high ready carry during running.

JM Campbell
10-24-2014, 11:25 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/25/vapybuba.jpgStill moving stuff around.

HCM
10-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Skyline - very nice !

This looks pretty interesting - factory Armalite AR-10 13" pistol with SIG brace, law folder and FF key mod hand guard.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/23/armalite-308-pistol/

John Hearne
10-27-2014, 07:31 PM
You guys are a horrible influence. I just ordered a BCM upper for a build and talked my boss into one as well.

Malamute
10-27-2014, 07:40 PM
I heard Brownells was having a sale on AR parts. I don't recall many details, but Bushmaster lowers were about $50. I looked at the page when I heard of it but didn't bookmark it. It was a day or two ago.

LittleLebowski
10-27-2014, 08:15 PM
You guys are a horrible influence. I just ordered a BCM upper for a build and talked my boss into one as well.

11.5" lightweight barrel, KMR hand guard. You'll thank me.

John Hearne
10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
11.5" lightweight barrel, KMR hand guard. You'll thank me.

Close. 11.5" BHF with 10" Keymod. Had been out of stock, just got the availability e-mail this afternoon.

NickDrak
11-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Got to run my .300BlkOut pistol today out to 200yds. Only shot a total of 25rd through it (.300Blk is expensive!), but it functioned without any issues with the new Law Tactical side folder installed.

Zeroed it @ 50yds which looks to be the most useable zero distance for my needs with the .300BlkOut. Shoots really flat out to about 125yds and then starts dropping pretty rapidly (Almost 9" drop @ 200yds).

Optic is a 2MOA Aimpoint Micro T-1.

Target in the video is an Arntzen 2/3 sized IPSC silhouette (Approx. 9x15").

First shot was a miss :(

Now that I checked my dope chart again I confused the Vertical correction in MOA for inches. I was holding dead center on the silhouette as I was thinking my hold should have been 4.25" when it was actually almost 9", so the first round likely missed a bit low. The rest of the hits were low on the silhouette so I should have instead held top edge of the head to get better center hits on the silhouette.

Either way 50yds is a plenty useable zero for the .300BlkOut in this gun.

I'm super happy with everything about this gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDAxAldNdZc&feature=youtu.be

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/300Blkfinal_zps00ff1abc.jpg

JM Campbell
11-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Just to help....striped upper and lower receivers on sale.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/listing.aspx?catid=30&cPage=1

JRCHolsters
11-07-2014, 10:57 PM
I can't believe I am just seeing this thread now. WTH have I been doing? Guess I should scan the forum more carefully.
I just finished machining out a James Madison Tactical lower, for shits and giggles...... and now I know what I am going to be spending money on.

HCM
11-08-2014, 09:48 AM
I know the KAK tube is well regarded but does anyone here have any experience or insight regarding the Odin Works pistol tube set ?

https://m.facebook.com/ODINWorksInc?_rdr

It has a set screw locking collar to allow you to set LOP and it locks the SIG brace in place to prevent rotation. It also comes with a proprietary end plate which is supposed to eliminate the need for a castle nut.

Thanks

JHC
11-08-2014, 06:37 PM
I got my first look at these today at my fav LGS. The Sig was complete and ready to go and I thought cool as all get out for $1000. My friends there however pushed the new DD Mk18 pistol (that's what they called it anyway). DD extended the buffer tube a bit for a more solid pistol hold I guess. ;) Very nice. $1400 but Sig grip not included.

Edit: I'm leaning .300 BO https://danieldefense.com/firearms/pistol-length-gas-system/daniel-defense-m4-300-blackout-pistol.html

GJM
11-14-2014, 08:49 PM
I got my first look at these today at my fav LGS. The Sig was complete and ready to go and I thought cool as all get out for $1000. My friends there however pushed the new DD Mk18 pistol (that's what they called it anyway). DD extended the buffer tube a bit for a more solid pistol hold I guess. ;) Very nice. $1400 but Sig grip not included.

Edit: I'm leaning .300 BO https://danieldefense.com/firearms/pistol-length-gas-system/daniel-defense-m4-300-blackout-pistol.html

I bought a complete AAC .300 BLK with the Sig brace and SSA trigger for $1,350 from Fortress Tactical.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2014, 09:39 AM
DSG has SB-15s with KAK tubes in-stock for $150 right now.

https://dsgarms.com/kt-sgpsb-sb15

Excellent deal, folks should jump on that.

NickDrak
12-10-2014, 08:26 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/photo1_zps596a4d75.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/photo2_zps2b194411.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/photo3_zps247fb95c.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/photo2-1_zps93de0629.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/Nikko_Choculich/photo3-1_zps90555675.jpg

"Excuse me while I whip this out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFPJsOOuOo&feature=youtu.be

EricP
12-10-2014, 08:54 PM
OK, that's pretty damn cool.

Mike C
12-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Yeah, that's pretty damn awesome NickDrak. Can you please post a parts list of that build? Because I think I just found my new project.

NickDrak
12-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Yeah, that's pretty damn awesome NickDrak. Can you please post a parts list of that build? Because I think I just found my new project.

Upper
Rainier Arms *8.5" .300 BlackOut "Select" barrel/Pistol length DI gas system. (*I sent the barrel to ADCO to have it chopped to 7.25")
Noveske marked (Chainsaw) Vltor MUR upper
Noveske NSR-7 (7")
BCM bolt carrier group
BCM GUNFIGHTER Compensator MOD 1 - 7.62 / 300 Blackout
BCM .750 gas block
BCM GunFighter charging handle

Lower
Seekins Precision stripped lower
ALG trigger
BAD-CASS Ambi selector
Stark Equipment grip
Seekins mag release button
Law Tactical Gen3 side folding stock adapter
KAK pistol buffer tube w/Spacer kit
Sig SB15 brace

I chrono'ed it yesterday with 110gr Barnes VOR-TX factory ammo and I was getting right at 2050fps.

The more I shoot this thing the more impressed I am with it. I only have 400rds thru it so far but it hasn't had any malfunctions at all. Its plenty accurate for what I built it for. I zeroed it @ 50yds, and getting hits on an 8" steel plate @ 200yds was easy work.

Mike C
12-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Awesome, And thanks!

5pins
12-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Not as cool as Nick’s but it’s finally done.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CkUM2k54wVc/VJiP-XmIdNI/AAAAAAAAAsY/2207roH98yY/w1043-h492-no/FullSizeRender.jpg

Sasage
12-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Anyone using a SBX?

JM Campbell
12-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Just finished another upper this morning.

AAC 9" barrel kit
8" Geissele/ALG keymod rail
Silencer Co Specwar mount
MagPul Pro mbus
Nightforce 1-4x
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/24/70ad8ffd9ff2a0d0d5e2bf830e2b1a61.jpg

lightning fast
12-24-2014, 09:23 PM
This thread inspired me, and I ended up with this.
11.5 BCM
http://i.imgur.com/qnDKnWX.jpg

Loving it so far. I want to see what she can do with 77grn loads, and start stretching out some distance.

justintime
12-25-2014, 01:32 AM
So much envy

GJM
12-25-2014, 08:45 AM
After the shorter AAC upper, my 11.5 Noveske upper feels LONG.

5pins
12-25-2014, 10:31 AM
First shots, GemTech .300 BlackOut 187gr subsonic. The Sig brace doesn’t feel any different then shooting with a normal stock.

Now I need to start thinking about a suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w20KdJzmQ8 

BoppaBear
01-03-2015, 08:54 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/03/5a98c575a3e145c64e65f75f009bb26e.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/03/d4e57d5d740298f2a347c4fba2673ae0.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/03/945ac3621a94f3d3ebe450efdb553ce8.jpg

My 10" pistol. I really like the way it shoots, and the brace shoulders well.

Upper:

Troy 10" CQB-SPC Complete Upper-
10" bbl w Claymore Muzzle Brake
11" TRX Extreme Hand Guard
Troy Fixed Front Sight
Troy Flip-Up Rear Battle Sight
IWC Offset Light Mount
Streamlight TLR-1s
IWC 45 Degree Offset Swivel Mount
IWC Hand Stop
Mil-Spec BCG
BCM Ambi Charging Handle