PDA

View Full Version : IDPA ESR Question

Sherman A. House DDS
07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm new to the game, so forgive my ignorance.

I shot my first classifier yesterday. I used my stippled, and otherwise stock, M&P 9, and because it was stippled entered ESP. Just to be clear, in ESP I can still use a stock (non-stippled) M&P or even a 1911? Saw lots of things, and asked lots of questions, but a few of the answers seemed vague. Please advise.

KeeFus
07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, once you stipple a weapon, in your case an M&P 9, it is entered into ESP. If you do not stipple the M&P grips then it stays in SSP or ESP. The best thing to do would be to look at the IDPA rulebook (http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf) (pages 18-22) and see what would take your weapon from SSP to ESP.

Yes, some 1911 style pistols are in ESP, mostly 9mm.

jetfire
07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
For ESP, you can use a "purpose built" ESP gun, for example a double stack STI 2011 in 9mm or other gun, or any gun that is legal for SSP is automatically legal for ESP. That being said, certain modifications to SSP guns make them illegal for SSP but legal for ESP. For example, if I put a Lone Wolf slide on my Glock 17, it becomes an ESP gun.

orionz06
07-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Are you trying to stay in SSP? If so, grip tape on the frame and a stippled backstrap is legal.

jlw
07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm new to the game, so forgive my ignorance.

I shot my first classifier yesterday. I used my stippled, and otherwise stock, M&P 9, and because it was stippled entered ESP. Just to be clear, in ESP I can still use a stock (non-stippled) M&P or even a 1911? Saw lots of things, and asked lots of questions, but a few of the answers seemed vague. Please advise.

A 1911 can not be used in SSP as it is a single action gun.

You can stipple the removable backstrap on your M&P and stay in SSP. Stippling anything other than the removable part is an automatic ESP move.

KeeFus
07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
A 1911 can not be used in SSP as it is a single action gun.

You can stipple the removable backstrap on your M&P and stay in SSP. Stippling anything other than the removable part is an automatic ESP move.

I always forget that just stippling the back strap may keep it in SSP. :rolleyes:

I found the ruling @ the IDPA forum:

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/4689/M-P-shooters-what-upgrades-should-I-get?page=3

Sherman A. House DDS
07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes. That answers my questions.

I guess that the equipment rules aren't, "strictly," in effect at the club I've been going to, at least not for club level matches. I've yet to attend a sanctioned match, anywhere. I asked a number of people questions, with rulebook in hand, and got a variety of different interpretations. Which is fine, what division I'm in doesn't really matter; I just want to know, "what I can do."