PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Arms

Odin Bravo One
07-02-2011, 11:13 PM
On recommendation from TG, I made the trek to VA Arms to get some sights installed. A little bit out of my way (about 3.5 hours), but necessary given my lack of gunsmithing ability and/or patience. My standard solution for such things is usually just to get a bigger hammer. But even then, the front sight on two M&P's were not budging.

My experience at VA Arms was quite interesting. First, walking in, I noticed a presentable, professional atmosphere; well maintained, and professional appearance by the staff. I walked to the back counter and asked if they could install some sights. I did not buy the sights from them, but brough them with me. They quickly took the guns back to install the sights while I window shopped.

They have a pretty extensive collection of arms and gear, and a decent selection of ammunition. Lots of stuff that I normally have to mail order as no one locally stocks it. I don't know if their gun prices were high or not, but they had a decent selection, and most everything appeared to be displayed at MSRP. Nothing jumped out at me as being over-priced. The staff was courteous and professional, asking once if I needed help, then leaving me alone.

It was really a refreshing experience.

But then just when I thought it could not get any better, I was present to overhear a conversation on ammunition suggestions for a precision .308 AR type rifle. What followed blew my mind to the point that I had to walk outside, look at the sign, and verify I was actually in a gun store. The employee helping the customer made a righteous suggestion to buy and use a cheaper ammunition to break in the barrel and get the optic close to the desired point of impact, then switch to the high performance (i.e., expensive) match grade ammunition once he was on paper for final zero. Amazing. An employee making a suggestion that not only saved the customer close to $100 in ammo, but made sense too.

When they returned with my pistols, they refused to charge me for the installation of the sights that I did not buy from them.

I don't have any reason to venture to Manassas, but if I do, and have business at a gunstore, I will got VA Arms. Perhaps my experience was an isolated incident, but it was so pleasant to go to a gunstore that was not filled with moron employee's and internet information being regurgitated as gospel.

Nice store, good employee's, good selection and inventory, minus the mental midgets that I find at my local shops.

fuse
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Not at all an isolated incident. They will gladly do many things for free, like (for example) dimpling of the ar15 barrel under the gas block for strong GB set screw installation, and installing an ar15 muzzle device. Like installing pistol sights, both of these tasks require specialized tools, not to mention a knowledgeable technician's labor. They give both away. I am sure it pays off handily in the long run, as satisfied customers tend to tell their friends. Or the internets in this case.

sent via Android 3.1

F-Trooper05
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Last August I was in town for a wedding and I bought up just about every P30 mag they had in-stock, and a Safariland holster. VERY cool gun store. Not the type of place where you roll your eyes when the guys behind the counter speak.

Kyle Reese
07-03-2011, 03:30 AM
VA Arms is GTG and very highly recommended. They are what every gunshop should strive to be.

JConn
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I too have had nothing but great experiences with Virginia arms. Highly recommended.

ubervic
07-03-2011, 12:52 PM
We've all been to gun shops where you most staff are either smarter-than-thou snobs or immature/unprofessional slackers who seem to believe that their job is to tell jokes to fellow staff members while they ignore customers.

None of that at Virginia Arms, where everyone there seems genuinely interested in helping customers....and they do so with a friendly attitude and professional demeanor. What a great place to shop and do business.

ToddG
07-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Virginia Arms is the pinnacle of gun shop professionalism. The people who work there are shooters -- some of them very serious shooters -- and they take their business seriously. The customer service is second to none and their gunsmith (Robb Jensen) does outstanding work. I live in another state and still regularly go to VA Arms to buy stuff and to have work done on my pistols.

TGS
07-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I agree with all of the above.

MechEng
07-04-2011, 11:29 AM
+8 For all the reasons mentioned above.

virginiatactical
07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
For the rare occasions that I need to go to a gunstore I always use Virgnia Arms. They also do excellent FFL transfers for a very cheap rate. There service extends way pass the gunstore. They have a shooting team and I bump into them regularly at matches. They are always polite and informative. Their gunsmith is ALWAYS willing to help people out and is a great dude. When I first moved to VA I went to Virginia Arms to look for a blade-tech belt holster for my M9 at work. They did not have one in stock nor did they sell blade-tech. Not only did they not try to sell me some other brand, but they pointed me in a good direction were I could find one cheap for my M9 on the interwebs. Very good people.

vmi-mo
07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I have been meaning to stop in there. Since I am flying into Dulles this wednesday I figure I would treck over that way. Does anyone have an address and store hours? Their website is under construction so it wasnt much help.

Thanks
PJ

lindertw
07-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have an address and store hours?

9760 Center Street, Manassas, VA 20110. Mon - Fri 10am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 5pm, Sun Closed

JV_
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Virginia Arms has always treated me well and I'll continue to give my business.

Chris_S
07-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I'll agree with what everyone else has said, it is a class act.