PDA

View Full Version : G19 not as comfortable as XDm 3.8 Compact - Tips?

dustyvarmint
05-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Switched from an XDm 3.8 Compact to a G19 for primary carry. Using the same model holster, the BladeTech IWB Nano. The Nano I'm carrying the G19 in is the G17 version. I'm very slight of build; 142 lbs, 5'6". I normally wear a 1.75" Navy issue Rigger's belt, but sometimes wear a heavier 1.5" tactical-style Bison Design belt. Carry at 3 & 4 depending on the location of the belt loops.

The problem is that the G19 is not nearly as comfortable to carry, so far, as the XDm was. While sitting doing some reloading last night I even considered taking the G19 off. I never considered doing that with my XDm. It seems slightly more comfortable with the heavier Bison Design belt than the lighter Rigger's belt.

Any suggestions or tips?

happy shooting

Caboose
05-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Where, on your body, is the holster bothering you?

dustyvarmint
05-29-2014, 11:50 AM

Good point - right at the base of the rib cage. If at 3 and I sit the grip is pushing up into the rib cage. If at 4 the rear of the slide and the grip push into the rib cage.

The rear of the slide also catches my shirt any time I bend or lean over. While not a comfort issue it is quite annoying.

I know the G19 is a hugely popular carry gun so I really want to figure these things out.

Thanks

EVP
05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
I can't give you a definite solution but I would just keep on with the g19 and you will eventually get used to it.

I noticed kinda the same thing when I switched carrying a g19 in a shaggy to a p30 in a shaggy. It was uncomfortable at first but eventually I got used to the small differences and did not notice them from a comfort standpoint after a little while.

JeffJ
05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Try a different holster, it sounds like the ride height (I'm thinking too high) and maybe the cant is wrong for you. I know that's a crappy answer but that's why everyone has a box of holster that don't work and why I prefer custom leather.

23JAZ
05-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Switched from an XDm 3.8 Compact to a G19 for primary carry. Using the same model holster, the BladeTech IWB Nano. The Nano I'm carrying the G19 in is the G17 version. I'm very slight of build; 142 lbs, 5'6". I normally wear a 1.75" Navy issue Rigger's belt, but sometimes wear a heavier 1.5" tactical-style Bison Design belt. Carry at 3 & 4 depending on the location of the belt loops.

The problem is that the G19 is not nearly as comfortable to carry, so far, as the XDm was. While sitting doing some reloading last night I even considered taking the G19 off. I never considered doing that with my XDm. It seems slightly more comfortable with the heavier Bison Design belt than the lighter Rigger's belt.

Any suggestions or tips?

happy shooting

I would try it AIWB in a JM Custom kydex holster. IMO The Blade Tech Nano is not the best or even close to it. If you don't want to carry AIWB try the Crossbreed Supertuck. Both JM and Crossbreed have a 2 week try it if you don't like it send it back period.

Tamara
05-29-2014, 02:54 PM

"Show me on the doll..."

I'm sorry, I had to throw that out there.

I've noticed that changing guns carrying IWB is as uncomfortable as just starting to carry IWB in the first place. I'd carried honest-to-Browning 5" 1911s IWB for years, to the point that I didn't even notice them anymore. When I changed from the 1911 to the M&P9, it felt uncomfortable, like I was trying to smuggle a brick, because it bumped and rubbed in all the wrong places. Now that I've got a few years carrying the M&P, I don't notice it anymore.

Chuck Whitlock
05-29-2014, 03:57 PM
I've noticed that changing guns carrying IWB is as uncomfortable as just starting to carry IWB in the first place. I'd carried honest-to-Browning 5" 1911s IWB for years, to the point that I didn't even notice them anymore. When I changed from the 1911 to the M&P9, it felt uncomfortable, like I was trying to smuggle a brick, because it bumped and rubbed in all the wrong places. Now that I've got a few years carrying the M&P, I don't notice it anymore.

I noticed the same thing going from a BHP/1911 to a G23. "Brick" is a very apt description.

But you get over it.

dustyvarmint
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the help. Happy shooting.

LSP552
05-31-2014, 08:55 AM
I'd add that it's more likely the holster than the gun. Holsters for different gun are just different. My carry guns over the years have been SIGs and Glocks and I have identical holster models for them all. My Milt Sparks Summer Specials and VM2s wear differently, even though they are the same model. It's possible that a holster that is comfortable with one gun may not be with another. Comp-Tac's CTAC is a great example for me. I love the holster for the Glock 17 but find the P226 model significantly less comfortable.

Ken