PDA

View Full Version : World Speed Shooting Championships doesn't even have 100 entries yet...

PPGMD
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
YIKES

It is less than 30 days until the match and they don't have 100 entries for this match. USPSA is mismanaging Steel Challenge like a boss. Seriously the US Steel National, which is not run my USPSA, was nearly full with 200 some entries IIRC.

The USPSA needs to hand the management of this match to someone that actually knows what they are doing. Changing the venue twice in three years, and only announcing the match less than 6 months before it is held isn't help anything.

From the USPSA Facespace:

Lot of recent interest in the World Speed Shooting Championships (www.worldspeedshoot.com) coming up June 25-28! Get in while you still can! First 100 entries will receive 50% off coupon from match sponsor Safariland!

jetfire
05-28-2014, 07:40 AM
The big problem is that USPSA has no vision for Steel Challenge. They never have. Which is sort of a larger problem the organization has as well - lack of vision and good leadership in the un-elected executive roles.

PPGMD
05-28-2014, 10:29 PM
The question is, how can we get that vision?

jetfire
05-28-2014, 10:31 PM
The question is, how can we get that vision?

I'd start with re-organizing USPSA so it's not "member run" which is a joke anyway and then firing Kim Williams and hiring someone competent. But that's just me.

PPGMD
05-28-2014, 11:19 PM
I'd start with re-organizing USPSA so it's not "member run" which is a joke anyway and then firing Kim Williams and hiring someone competent. But that's just me.

I disagree about getting rid of the elections, we just need to elect better people. I missed Phil's election due to my cancer. But from the previous election I remember that except for in person discussion between members locally, everything I heard was brief position statements in Front Sight. I think we need a better way for the candidates to communicate to the members.

In fact I believe the opposite the USPSA board is using executive meetings, really simplified meeting minutes, and not releasing the financials to keep things hidden from the membership. I believe that recordings or detailed transcripts of board meetings should be made available for all members on the USPSA website.

Lomshek
05-30-2014, 11:06 PM
I disagree about getting rid of the elections, we just need to elect better people. I missed Phil's election due to my cancer. But from the previous election I remember that except for in person discussion between members locally, everything I heard was brief position statements in Front Sight. I think we need a better way for the candidates to communicate to the members.

In fact I believe the opposite the USPSA board is using executive meetings, really simplified meeting minutes, and not releasing the financials to keep things hidden from the membership. I believe that recordings or detailed transcripts of board meetings should be made available for all members on the USPSA website.

If only USPSA had some kind of public "forum" or something open to all members where candidates could post information and maybe have "ask me anything" sessions. Such a thing could also be used to post transcripts and such in an easily searchable manner.

PPGMD
05-30-2014, 11:29 PM
If only USPSA had some kind of public "forum" or something open to all members where candidates could post information and maybe have "ask me anything" sessions. Such a thing could also be used to post transcripts and such in an easily searchable manner.

There is the USPSA forum.

Though I think there is more discussion on Enos, unfortunately because things get heated any serious topic doesn't last long.

ranger
05-31-2014, 07:35 AM
There is the USPSA forum.

Though I think there is more discussion on Enos, unfortunately because things get heated any serious topic doesn't last long.

Agreed.

bigtimelarry
05-31-2014, 07:58 PM
Having it in Utah Sucks..

Jared
06-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Having it in Utah Sucks..

What is bad about it being in Utah? I'm honestly curious.

jetfire
06-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Me too. While I don't think moving it to Utah is the best plan, it certain bets the hell out of Frostproof, which is basically the most miserable place in the world.

ranger
06-01-2014, 07:44 AM
I think that national level matches should try to rotate across the country - west, central, east - so that more shooters could get exposed to the opportunity. I know it is easier to find one location that has all the infrastructure, etc and keep going back.

GJM
06-01-2014, 08:08 AM

Good coffee and good beer can be a challenge. Otherwise a pretty good state.

PPGMD
06-01-2014, 10:12 AM
I know it is easier to find one location that has all the infrastructure, etc and keep going back.

As the NRA found out. Unless they bring an established crew to do the setup, fixed courses of fire like this should be at fixed locations. These fixed course matches aren't like a USPSA match, where if the actual stage even resembles the stage diagram we call it good.

The crew out in Titusville for the US Steel Nationals uses surveyor equipment to find the exact height of the box, and the plates. They then cut the wood uprights so the height appears to be exactly the same stage to stage. This results when you go down range to paint that some stages the plates are quite low to the ground, while on others they are quite high up depending on the slope of the bay. This is the type of equipment and dedication that you get when it is in one place, you don't get the same when it travels unless the setup crew is brought in.

Honestly Frostproof isn't that bad, particularly for the late October/early November match dates it started with. Yes in July Frostproof sucks, it is hot and humid with no sea breeze, and there are the afternoon rain showers. What about the Clark County Shooting Complex. That is a west coast location, a city with plenty of hotels, entertainment, and transportation options to get there. IIRC they've hosted a USPSA Nationals or two.

Jared
06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Caleb,

You've mentioned before that you feel USPSA is failing to market Steel Challenge properly. I pretty much agree. Thing is I don't really have any idea how to market it. How would you sell it to the masses?

PPGMD
06-01-2014, 05:28 PM
You've mentioned before that you feel USPSA is failing to market Steel Challenge properly. I pretty much agree. Thing is I don't really have any idea how to market it. How would you sell it to the masses?

I think that marketing it as the introductory shooting sport would be best at the local level.

And at the state and national level they should attempt to market themselves be the other side of the coin of Bianchi. Bianchi is the ultimate of accuracy in action shooting, Steel Challenge is the ultimate in speed.

jetfire
06-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Caleb,

Two separate issues, marketing the sport of Steel Challenge and marketing the World Speed Shoot itself. I was actually going to write a post on Monday about it.

PPGMD
06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Two separate issues, marketing the sport of Steel Challenge and marketing the World Speed Shoot itself. I was actually going to write a post on Monday about it.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/84d9f9d0f644d59f1124e5d46422e3b0/tumblr_mhn2vjmvky1qi7deco1_250.gif

Tease!

YVK
06-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Good coffee and good beer can be a challenge. Otherwise a pretty good state.

You'll be surprised how good some of the local breweries are. I just came from the East Coast and some of local offerings were sold in trendy pubs there.

jetfire
06-02-2014, 04:20 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/84d9f9d0f644d59f1124e5d46422e3b0/tumblr_mhn2vjmvky1qi7deco1_250.gif

Tease!

Sorry, it was pretty late and I realized my thoughts were a lot more complex. It's now turned into a five part series, here's part one: The business of the shooting sports, General Trends. (http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/06/02/the-business-of-the-action-shooting-sports-general-trends/) Because it's a complex subject, I'm going to split it off into its own thread, because it covers a lot of the stuff that's in this thread and the "how should USPSA market" thread. The USPSA specific post goes up on Wednesday.