PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 magazines sticking

Pasanova
06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I have a Sig P220 Stainless Elite with approx. 9000 rounds through it. The weapon has always had an issue with the factory 8 round magazines failing to fall completely free from the weapon. The weapon has recently been back to Sig twice for an unfixable internal extractor issue.

Anyways, I was trouble shooting my sticky magazine issue today and noticed that the end of the trigger bar spring protrudes into the magazine area along the right side of the frame, causing the magazine to eject approx. 1/2 inch out of the weapon. The spring is installed correctly with on the rear end hooking the notch on the bottom rear of the trigger bar and the opposite end inserted in a hole near the magazine release plate. It's the end in the hole that is causing the issue. I removed the spring and the magazines fall free without hesitation. I then trimmed a spare spring and the issue disappeared. The problem with the trimmed spring is that it does not secure as well.

I tried a couple more spare trigger bar springs and they all had the same issue. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Anyone have any remedies?

ToddG
07-01-2011, 06:28 AM
This was an issue with the P220 back when I worked at SIG, too. The engineers -- who got to decide what was "right" and "wrong" in terms of how a pistol should operate -- decided it wasn't a problem.

Pasanova
07-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone know if you can use a P226's trigger bar spring in a P220 Elite without negative effects? I put one in my P220 Elite today and it appeared to operate okay. My sticking magazine issue disappeared immediately. The only thing I noticed was that the trigger reset felt slightly lighter.

John Hearne
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
FWIW, I use P245 trigger reset springs in all of my P220's. They feature the coil that Sig added to their later designs and I haven't broken one yet.

For grins and giggles, I introduced my trigger bar reset spring to my bench grinder. I very slowly removed material until the tail of the spring was no longer protruding into the magazine well. The tail of the spring doesn't seem to take any force and its the 90 degree bend after the tail that takes all of the force. I ran a local IDPA match with the tweaked spring and never had a magazine hang up.

Pasanova
07-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the advice John.

I'm totally fed up with Sig. The P220 Elite went back to the factory twice for the internal extractor issue and the issue was never resolved. Their LEO guy quit returning my emails from my Police email account. So I went out and bought a new P226 and said to hell with the P220 platform. My agency only authorizes Sigs unfortunately. I called today after 3 weeks of unreturned emails/dodged calls to order a SRT kit and I find out that they are going to replace my P220 with current slide/extractor design for free.

I'm about to pull my hair out now. I have a new P226 .40 that I really didn't want to buy and a redone P220 Elite. I think I'm going to sell the P220 Elite as soon as it gets back from Sig and never look back. I shoot the .40 better anyways.

Buyers beware. Steer clear of Sig and their damn P220!!!