PDA

View Full Version : M&P RMA

jslaker
06-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Waiting for my friendly FedEx man to swing by the office and pick this up.

http://i.imgur.com/ymkJC.png

I have this disease where I can never take anything entirely seriously. :)

SecondsCount
06-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Too funny.

That is one thing about the M&P mags that I found lacking, the floorplates. 10-8 makes good ones but too pricey for my taste.

jslaker
06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
On a serious note, I was discussing this with someone that experienced a similar failure and they mentioned that they had difficulty clearing this because the mag body lacked sufficient weight to drop free. He resorted to locking the slide back and pushing the magazine out through the ejection port.

I was able to clear this failure relatively easily by depressing the mag release while inserting my weakhand thumb into magazine well and pinching with my index finger against the grip and pulling down, almost like a modified reload with retention.

Just something to keep in mind.

Bratch
07-01-2011, 09:02 AM
I've spontaneously disassembled multiple M&P mags when playing around trying to get them to auto forward. Once I calmed my mag insertion the problem went away, it seemed to be a combination of slamming the mag in while pushing my hand forward at the same time. Todd was saying last weekend that the new base plates are supposed to help but if your gun was from 2011 it should have had them.

jslaker
07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Todd was saying last weekend that the new base plates are supposed to help but if your gun was from 2011 it should have had them.
Manufacture date on the gun itself is 30 Nov 2010. I've got the new sear block, etc, but the gun had the old round button magazines packaged in.

jslaker
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Anyone have any idea what S&W's typical turn around time on return issues is? Sitting right at a month since I sent off the bum mag, starting to wonder if I should have been less of a smartass in my letter. ;)

JDM
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I got my gun back in 8 days with a new barrel. Sent in a M&P .45 mag and got a new one back in about 10 days.

jslaker
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
I got my gun back in 8 days with a new barrel. Sent in a M&P .45 mag and got a new one back in about 10 days.

Guess I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

DonovanM
07-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Heh, that's funny, thanks for bumping this.

JDM
07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Guess I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

It may be lost or something like that. It's been my experience that S&W hands out new mags like Glock hands out pens. Hell, they sent a magazine back with my gun when I sent it in without one.

fuse
07-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I've spontaneously disassembled multiple M&P mags when playing around trying to get them to auto forward. Once I calmed my mag insertion the problem went away, it seemed to be a combination of slamming the mag in while pushing my hand forward at the same time. Todd was saying last weekend that the new base plates are supposed to help but if your gun was from 2011 it should have had them.

Did this with a friends m&p once. Freaked me out.

sent via Android 3.1

jslaker
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Finally received the replacement Weds 8/3.

Replacement magazine is the new square button type. The basepad is definitely much more secure than the original design without really being any more difficult to disassemble. The magazine spring seems to be a bit stronger from my uncalibrated "push on the follower" measurement.

One interesting change is that the front of the basepad is somewhat hollowed out compared to the originals:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lru0NhLwk2Q/TjnYCrajbzI/AAAAAAAABE8/VOR4sYuLCZM/s800/IMG_20110803_192116.jpg

I found this change mildly irritating since I'd been using that space to number my mags, as you can see from the original on the left. ;)

KeeFus
08-06-2011, 06:00 AM
I just looked at my new M&P mags and they have the square holes in the base pad...it was manufactured last month. Now, the problem will be finding them in the civilian market...I only received 2 with the gun and normally like to have at least 6. I called Lawmens in Raleigh, NC and they have 9mm mags but not the new ones, priced @ $25.00.

As much as I've tried, I can not get these new mags to auto-forward on this weapon. I T&E'ed some M&P .45's in January/February and they would auto-forward with an empty or full mag.