PDA

View Full Version : Dot Torture for the first time

phidelta308
06-29-2011, 11:07 PM
The new range (Freestate Gun Range (http://www.freestategunrange.com/)) that opened up outside of Baltimore allows members to draw from a holster once they have demonstrated that they can do so safely. So tonight I got checked out and was able to draw and fire from a holster for the first time. I have been practicing my draw and press out for months at home, but until tonight, wasn't able to actually fire a live round at the end of the press out. I ran through dot torture 4 times, and it's not as easy at it looks! Even at three yards, I dropped a couple of rounds on each pass. Next time I'm going to try to get there earlier in the day when it's less crowded, to use the shot timer app I downloaded for my Android phone.

I'm pretty excited... I finally get to start putting all the pieces together and run drills I haven't been able to before now.

fuse
06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't draw from a holster at my local range.

Probably wouldn't be into this all that much

jslaker
06-30-2011, 09:35 AM
to use the shot timer app I downloaded for my Android phone.

Not to thread drift, but which one? Last I looked there weren't really any usable ones.

ToddG
06-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Glad to see another practical range opened up here in MD. In my case it's still significantly farther away than driving into Virginia, though. :mad:

For those who don't know, the source of "no drawing from a holster" and "no rapid fire" rules is... anyone? Anyone? Wait for it... the NRA.

ford.304
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
As in, the NRA recommends those rules, or requires those rules?

ToddG
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Those rules originate from the NRA's range development folks. They're designed to help make sure that clubs don't have accidents that could result in being shut down or sued. Unfortunately, while one arm of the organization pushes tirelessly for the right to carry a concealed handgun there is another arm that suggests no one ever be able to practice drawing from concealment.

phidelta308
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Not to thread drift, but which one? Last I looked there weren't really any usable ones.

Before I had to replace my phone, I'd been using "Shot Timer Pro." It worked well for dry fire and with a CO2 pistol. The few times I tried it on the range, it tended to pick up the gun shots all around in addition to my own. Today, I noticed there are a few more Android shot timers, and the existing ones have been updated, so I downloaded a bunch of them and will try them out.

ubervic
06-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Those rules originate from the NRA's range development folks. They're designed to help make sure that clubs don't have accidents that could result in being shut down or sued. Unfortunately, while one arm of the organization pushes tirelessly for the right to carry a concealed handgun there is another arm that suggests no one ever be able to practice drawing from concealment.

I'm confused. Many draw from concealment at the NRA range and in full view of range staff. How is it that this limitation on drawing isn't applied or enforced there?

WDW
06-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Irony in it's purest form

ToddG
06-30-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm confused. Many draw from concealment at the NRA range and in full view of range staff. How is it that this limitation on drawing isn't applied or enforced there?

The NRA Range does not follow the recommendations of NRA Range Development upstairs. The NRA Range, thankfully, has had an IPSC GM as either its assistant manager or (now) manager since the beginning and it's always used practical safety rules instead of paranoid ones.

jslaker
06-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Funny that a range couldn't follow the NRA recommendations and host competitive shooting at the same time. You'd think that would indicate a problem.

Kyle Reese
06-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I wonder how Free State would look upon AIWB?

phidelta308
07-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Ill ask next time I'm there. I think as long as you aren't cheating by angling the muzzle inward, and your finger is off the trigger, they would be fine. What are the policies of other ranges on appendix carry?

Kyle Reese
07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Ill ask next time I'm there. I think as long as you aren't cheating by angling the muzzle inward, and your finger is off the trigger, they would be fine. What are the policies of other ranges on appendix carry?

The only public range I shoot at is the NRA Range, and I have never had a problem regarding AIWB.

JV_
07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I have never had a problem regarding AIWB.I had an AIWB issue at the NRA range, it was about a year ago. I believe it was a staff education issue rather than a policy issue. I did communicate with the Chief RSO (and a few others) after the incident to clarify the rules. I've had no problem since, but I do carry an OWB and a traditional IWB in my range bag just in case it comes up again.