PDA

View Full Version : CZ shotguns

Kyle Reese
05-20-2014, 04:02 PM
What's the general consensus on CZ shotguns? I hit the trap range with my old man this past weekend and learned a thing or two about shooting clays, and got to thinking about the possible procurement of a CZ-912.

I know they're made in Turkey, but was hoping that someone here has one and can offer their insight on these guns.

TIA

TGS
05-20-2014, 04:19 PM
What's the general consensus on CZ shotguns? I hit the trap range with my old man this past weekend and learned a thing or two about shooting clays, and got to thinking about the possible procurement of a CZ-912.

I know they're made in Turkey, but was hoping that someone here has one and can offer their insight on these guns.

TIA

Depending on the manufacturer, Turkey actually produces some of the best shotguns in the world. They're an underdog.

However I'm not familiar with the 912, specifically.

Wheeler
05-20-2014, 04:20 PM
If memory serves the CZ shotguns are now made by Huglu in Turkey. I briefly owned a Huglu O/U and didn't much care for it. On the other hand, the recent model CZ's I've handled have had a higher level of fit, finish and attention to detail as well as a finer finish on the few moving parts.

Sporting Clays will put a shotgun to the test if you shoot it seriously. At one time I was going through 500 rounds a month, which is more rounds than my dad put through his hunting shotguns in thirty years. Based on my limited observations the CZ's would make a great entry level shotgun.

John Fritz
05-20-2014, 07:49 PM
I own a CZ712 with a short barrel that I use to just knock around with. It's, err, challenging hitting clay birds with an 18.5" barrel but it's all good fun.

Fit/finish exceeds price point. Cycles everything.

I just bought a Remington 11-87 because I was under the mistaken impression that it would be a nicer gun than another 712.

Only thing I would say to do for sure is to go to your LGS and handle one before you buy it to make sure the LOP is correct for you.

pablo
05-21-2014, 10:34 AM
I've shot a round of trap with one.

The good: The walnut stocks were very good quality. The fit and finish was excellent. The over sized ejection port was a nice feature that made visual check for empty much easier. It ran without a problem with target loads.

The bad: I like a 13.5-75" LOP on regular shotgun, the stupid recoil pad would have made shortening the stock or even changing the recoil pad impractical. The trigger was pretty terrible, long and spongy.

I don't know anything about their long term reliability. If you like walnut and it fits you out of the box, it seems like a decent buy. While they're ugly and a bit on the crude side, the Beretta 3901 American is tough to beat for a budget semi auto.

Kyle Reese
05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Thank you for the feedback, everyone.