PDA

View Full Version : It's 10 O'Clock, Do You Know Where your Weapon Is?

WDW
06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/handout-photo-provided-nick-gonzalez-editorial-purposes-only-photo-204158290.html
I bet this guy feels like a dumb-ass. Just a reminder about weapons awareness. Anyone who has deployed can attest to it's importance and the weird dreams you have for a few months after returning stateside.

MechEng
06-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Looks like the Seattle police department needs to enact a “Dummy Cord” policy.

I can relate to this. For a week, after returning from the first gulf war, I would wake up confused and panicked because I couldn’t find my weapon.

SecondsCount
06-29-2011, 09:13 AM
His fellow officers will give him heat about that for the rest of his career at the dept.

WDW
06-29-2011, 09:25 AM
His fellow officers will give him heat about that for the rest of his career at the dept.
If he or she still has one:rolleyes: I mean, I understand accidents and all, but there is really no excuse for this kind of negligence. I mean, that rifle could have ended up in some bad hands, and been put to horrible uses and potentially caused that Dept. to be liable for lives lost and possibly millions in lawsuits. He or she is lucky nobody touched it and an officer close by was flagged down and picked it up.

Shellback
06-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Whitcomb says such rifles are assigned only to officers who have additional training.

It appears that they need additional, additional training.

Kyle Reese
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Unbelievable.

gtmtnbiker98
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Looks like the Seattle police department needs to enact a “Dummy Cord” policy.

All joking aside, when I was in the "suck," we had a CO who ordered all of us to "Dummy Cord" our rifles using 550 cord to our web gear while training in Puerto Rico. We were doing work ups for a Med.

This later bit the CO in the ass when we were fast roping from CH-46's to the deck of a ship, the 550 cord got tangled between the rope, the Marine and his rifle, causing the Marine to fall 30+ feet. Luckily his flack jacket and helmet saved this kid.

Shellback
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I wonder what their opinions would be if it were Joe Citizen riding around with an AR-15 on his trunk and he left it parked for anyone to have access to it?

Regardless, Whitcomb says the officers didn't break any laws. "Really, it's just embarrassing," he says. "It most certainly shouldn’t happen at a police department level. People should expect more."
Embarassing is getting a boner in class, not leaving a loaded weapon out for anyone to gain access to it. They're very lucky it wasn't stolen and a good samaritan alerted the other officers.

RCW 9A.08.010 (d) CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE. A person is criminally negligent or acts with criminal negligence when he or she fails to be aware of a substantial risk that a wrongful act may occur and his or her failure to be aware of such substantial risk constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would exercise in the same situation.

TCinVA
06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I wonder what their opinions would be if it were Joe Citizen riding around with an AR-15 on his trunk and he left it parked for anyone to have access to it?

Probably not much unless a child managed to shoot themselves with it or something.

Mitchell, Esq.
06-29-2011, 02:08 PM
"Hey, Look at the new upper I just picked up! It was such a great deal...almost a steal!" :cool:

Either that, or make the bolt carrier group go bye-bye...

F-Trooper05
06-29-2011, 02:46 PM
How in the hell would that even happen? Did he just park his cruiser, pull out his patrol rifle for shits and giggles, then set it down to go grab a cup of coffee?

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

DocGKR
06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/124662724.html

TCinVA
06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
How in the hell would that even happen? Did he just park his cruiser, pull out his patrol rifle for shits and giggles, then set it down to go grab a cup of coffee?

In some departments equipment and vehicles have to be checked out before beginning patrol. Officer has to show up to the station, get the uniform on, get through the briefing, then show up at the equipment check to check out any equipment (radios, in-cruiser computers, etc assuming those are not personally issued...in some departments they aren't), then go to the armory and check out the patrol rifle.

Then he has to load all that in the cruiser, potentially do paperwork on the state of the cruiser, perhaps some maintenance on the cruiser or systems in it, etc.

With all of that sort of thing going on (like finding out that some of the electronic doodads aren't working and getting them that way) it's easy to see how someone could forget that they left the carbine sitting on the trunk.

EDIT - looking at Doc's post it looks like cruiser cleaning regs led to the situation.

LittleLebowski
06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
We played so many games in the corps designed to alleviate this....

ToddG
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Over the course of three years at the US Attorney's Office in DC, I found a few pistols in the men's room. They'd all been left by LEOs.

At the IDPA Nationals one year down in Mississippi, a number of well-known competitors came into the same steak place where some friends and I were eating. Their group finished dinner faster than ours, but about five minutes after they left two of them came racing back into the restaurant looking for their fanny packs... and the loaded guns inside them.

Back in the mid-90's I was teaching a class in PA and when checking out of the hotel Sunday morning, I forgot to bring the case with all my Sim guns to the car. I drove the half hour to the range, went through the morning portion of the class, and only then realized that all my Sim guns -- which are real guns, after all -- were back at the hotel. I raced back to find a very nervous manager who had relieved the even more nervous cleaning lady of the case just a few minutes earlier. I was very lucky they were able to be talked down without calling the police.

Shellback
06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
We played so many games in the corps designed to alleviate this....

Like 45 & 45 ;)

Mitchell, Esq.
06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Over the course of three years at the US Attorney's Office in DC, I found a few pistols in the men's room. They'd all been left by LEOs.

I assume you left them as stripped frames and sold the parts kit for beer money?

ToddG
06-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I assume you left them as stripped frames and sold the parts kit for beer money?

Nope. I left them right where they were because it would have been a felony for me to touch them. If they were loaded with ammo (which presumably they were) that would have been a bunch more felonies. So I left them there and told security. If another person walked in during the intervening time -- the restrooms were in the public part of the building -- it would have sucked, huh?

JDM
06-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Nope. I left them right where they were because it would have been a felony for me to touch them. If they were loaded with ammo (which presumably they were) that would have been a bunch more felonies. So I left them there and told security. If another person walked in during the intervening time -- the restrooms were in the public part of the building -- it would have sucked, huh?

This is interesting, how's the law written?

fuse
06-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Obviously he was shaking down a local establishment for his weekly bribe, but got distracted when he saw a ho of his working the wrong street.

Could happen to anyone, really.

Edit: now that's its known what happened, this attempt at humor is even less funny, it would seem.

fuse
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
This is interesting, how's the law written?

In dc you can technically be charged with a felony for every round of ammo in your possession.

mnealtx
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Obviously he was shaking down a local establishment for his weekly bribe, but got distracted when he saw a ho of his working the wrong street.

And this was called for, why?

JDM
06-29-2011, 10:46 PM
In dc you can technically be charged with a felony for every round of ammo in your possession.
Ahhh. Because of the "illegal to possess a handgun law" got it. Thanks.

JDM
06-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Edit: now that's its known what happened, this attempt at humor is even less funny, it would seem.

I thought it was £^¥*# hillarious. Lololol.

Slavex
06-30-2011, 04:48 AM
years ago after giving testimony at a court case I found a loaded handgun hanging on the coat hook of the bathroom stall, that was a bit exciting for everyone involved. Someone in plainclothes left it behind.
I'd like to know what kind of glue that rifle was coated in that it stayed stuck to the trunk for a couple blocks.

TCinVA
06-30-2011, 06:53 AM
years ago after giving testimony at a court case I found a loaded handgun hanging on the coat hook of the bathroom stall,

Unfortunately not uncommon. How some people can go through any level of training and think it's a good idea to put a 2 pound weapon with a 5 pound trigger hanging on the door of a bathroom stall by the trigger guard is beyond me.

orionz06
06-30-2011, 07:06 AM
nvm...

fuse
06-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd like to know what kind of glue that rifle was coated in that it stayed stuck to the trunk for a couple blocks.

Also, this.

SecondsCount
06-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Back in the mid-90's I was teaching a class in PA and when checking out of the hotel Sunday morning, I forgot to bring the case with all my Sim guns to the car. I drove the half hour to the range, went through the morning portion of the class, and only then realized that all my Sim guns -- which are real guns, after all -- were back at the hotel. I raced back to find a very nervous manager who had relieved the even more nervous cleaning lady of the case just a few minutes earlier. I was very lucky they were able to be talked down without calling the police.

My Dad had a similar situation that at first didn't go so well. He was on vacation and took his cased Ruger Blackhawk with him. When he checked out he forgot and left it, still in an unlocked case, on a table in the corner of the room. It was about two hours down the road that he remembered and called the hotel. They told him that they would check the room and get back to him. About 30 mins later they called him and told him that it could not be found.

He called me to see what he should do and I said to call the police. The police were very helpful, immediately called the hotel, and called Dad back in five minutes letting him know that the gun had been found. :cool:

JFK
07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
So is this part of the 90% of all illegal weapons heading into Mexico??

Shellback
07-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Speaking of leaving pistols in bathrooms. This one was in a secure area of an airport. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7655164.html) According to this report ICE has "lost" quite a few guns.