PDA

View Full Version : Todd in Combat Handguns

mongooseman
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to put this, but congrats to Todd on the article in the current Combat Handguns. Very complimentary and it's nice to see him get the recognition. Now 'Officially' one of the Big Boys!:cool:

ToddG
06-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks, mongooseman!

VolGrad
06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I had a picture in the Nov 2010 issue of Combat Handguns. Does that make me a "Big Boy" too? I've never been one of those. :p

jetfire
06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Both the author and the photographer are members of the forum as well. Although I have it on good authority that the author is too short to ever be a truly great shooter.

jlw
06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I had a picture in the Nov 2010 issue of Combat Handguns. Does that make me a "Big Boy" too? I've never been one of those. :p

Both the author and the photographer are members of the forum as well. Although I have it on good authority that the author is too short to ever be a truly great shooter.

Vol,

I think Caleb just answered your question even though he didn't directly aim that at you. :cool:

Occam's Razor
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Easy on the vertically challenged jokes.

VolGrad
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Vol,

I think Caleb just answered your question even though he didn't directly aim that at you. :cool:

I think photographers are supposed to be vertically challenged. I should have some pics accompanying an article in a Harris Pub soon myself.

DonovanM
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Caleb was talking about himself...

ToddG
06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Just picked up a copy (or two :cool:). It takes a wordsmith to turn shooting in the pouring rain into a fun and educational experience.

Thanks, dude!

VolGrad
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Caleb was talking about himself...

... and jlweems was talking about me. We're real life pals so it wasn't taken as a real insult. I know Occam's Razor too. It was all light hearted. No one was really upset.

I picked up a copy a couple of hours ago at the grocery store. Good articles Caleb ... both of them in this issue. Great job.

DonovanM
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
... and jlweems was talking about me. We're real life pals so it wasn't taken as a real insult. I know Occam's Razor too. It was all light hearted. No one was really upset.

Oh good! :D

Funny, I think BJ Norris missed that memo.

jlw
06-29-2011, 07:58 PM

I picked up a copy a couple of hours ago at the grocery store. Good articles Caleb ... both of them in this issue. Great job.

Oh good! :D

I call Vol whenever I need a well armed statistician. He's good with fractions and decimals...

VolGrad
06-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I call Vol whenever I need a well armed statistician. He's good with fractions and decimals...

Don't forget lunch. I'm also very good at lunch. :p

Failure2Stop
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Todd and everyone else involved in putting the article together, kudos.
At least there are a few gun mag writers that aren't completely full
of bovine fecal patties.

ToddG
06-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forum, F2S. Great to see you back in one piece!

dookie1481
06-29-2011, 11:22 PM

Seconded. I'm sensitive :D

JDM
06-29-2011, 11:49 PM
For the last year the only thing I've read in CH is Ayoob's column. This is an exciting turn of events, a good article!!

jetfire
06-30-2011, 11:53 AM
For anyone who hasn't seen the latest issue of Combat Handguns, here's an excerpt from the article at Tactical-Life.Com (http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/shooting-fast-on-the-move/). They don't reprint the whole article, so you'll have to actually go buy a gun magazine! I will note with some sadness (having now actually seen the article) that they changed my title.

I just get 'em for the pictures though.

orionz06
06-30-2011, 12:09 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen the latest issue of Combat Handguns, here's an excerpt from the article at Tactical-Life.Com (http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/shooting-fast-on-the-move/). They don't reprint the whole article, so you'll have to actually go buy a gun magazine! I will note with some sadness (having now actually seen the article) that they changed my title.

I just get 'em for the pictures though.

Or read it for free on the comfy couches.

jetfire
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah, but if you do that instead of buying it means that it makes it harder for me to justify getting more good training/competition content in magazines like Combat Handguns. Or would you rather see another article about a 2000 dollar 1911 that uses the phrase "acceptable combat accuracy?"

orionz06
06-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Now I feel like a bad person. :(

orionz06
06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
What's the cutoff for being considered vertically challenged? I need to know if I should wonder if I should take it personally too. I haven't bought a gun magazine in some time, but I will keep an eye out for a copy of this one.

Anything below 5'6".

jetfire
06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Now I feel like a bad person. :(

Sorry! I didn't mean it like that. The thing is that I really like writing for print magazines, but the sad fact is that circulation is down, revenue is down, and sometimes it's not easy to convince editors to go out on a limb and run content like this. So when people just read the magazines in B&N and then put them back on the shelf, when the store goes to renew their contract they order 10 fewer magazines per month, which causes a nasty chain reaction.

Just as an example, I'm writing a review of a Tanfoglio Witness Elite right now...and I feel SO DIRTY. ;)

orionz06
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry! I didn't mean it like that.
I failed at conveying sarcasm.

Just as an example, I'm writing a review of a Tanfoglio Witness Elite right now...and I feel SO DIRTY. ;)

Watch it work out to be a flawless gun...

VolGrad
06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Anything below 5'6".

I'm riding the line then. :cool:

I get what you are saying Caleb about print mags. What sucks though is they are stuck in that rut ... the mags ... after years of running nothing but fluff and full page GALCO and KIMBER ads. It turned many of us off to the point we stopped subscribing.

It's good to see the up-trend in articles about training. I hope the print mags make a comeback. I really do.

jlw
06-30-2011, 02:28 PM
I enjoy the written word, but I prefer electronic publication to that of actual printed media.