PDA

View Full Version : Beretta question

Dagga Boy
05-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Never been much of a Beretta guy as I never had to work with them much. I am looking to get my 92 set up and I was thinking if my "plan" is possible. I have two slides. One is a special operations slide I acquired with a threaded barrel and the other is stock. Would it be possible to convert one to run as a G and leave the other stock without any modifications to the frame? My thought is to be able to learn to run both the optimized set up and what the issue gun folks are running.

GJM
05-14-2014, 08:19 PM
The G conversion is "upstairs," so should be fine. Wilson Combat is offering G conversion parts and services now. YVK has his FS upper converted to a "G." Allegheny does G conversions, although not sure if they have those parts in stock.

Dagga Boy
05-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Perfect. I ll probably send the special operations slide to Wilson for a work over and leave the other one stock.

LHS
05-20-2014, 01:34 AM
Perfect. I ll probably send the special operations slide to Wilson for a work over and leave the other one stock.

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you. Come to the dark side.

Dagga Boy
05-26-2014, 09:21 PM
One more for the experts, as the "internet" has had multiple answers.

If I were to buy a Centurion, the one Beretta I really liked, would my spare full size FS slide work on it?

GJM
05-27-2014, 04:05 AM
One more for the experts, as the "internet" has had multiple answers.

If I were to buy a Centurion, the one Beretta I really liked, would my spare full size FS slide work on it?

Sort of work, but per Ernest Langdon you have the potential for problems as the internal dimension in the frame is off. The Compact and Centurion interchange on the same lower, but you should keep full size slides and frames mated.

Magic_Salad0892
05-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Sort of work, but per Ernest Langdon you have the potential for problems as the internal dimension in the frame is off. The Compact and Centurion interchange on the same lower, but you should keep full size slides and frames mated.

I suspect a little fitting would alleviate that issue.

GJM
05-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Not sure about that, as it is an internal rail dimension. I have my C with me, but am away from a full size. When I am with both, I can take a picture. In any event, if you shortened the rail on the full size to Centurion/C dimensions, you are too short for full size uppers.

GJM
05-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Previously, I thought the only difference was the dust cover dimensions between Compact/Centurion and full size slides and frames. Ernest explained how the important difference is the internal rail, which is shorter on the Compact/Centurion frames. So, you can interchange a Centurion slide and Compact slide with Centurion and Compact lowers as their internal rail dimension is the same, but you should mate full size frames and lowers. EL's favorite combo, in fact, is a Vertec upper on a M9A1 lower. See the Compact rail below -- I don't have a full size 92 lower with me, but you would see a longer rail dimension compared to this Compact lower.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Image1_zps0728b07f.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Image1_zps0728b07f.jpg.html)

Magic_Salad0892
05-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Not sure about that, as it is an internal rail dimension. I have my C with me, but am away from a full size. When I am with both, I can take a picture. In any event, if you shortened the rail on the full size to Centurion/C dimensions, you are too short for full size uppers.

Oh, I was referring to being able to reliably run a compact lower, not interchanging them.

GJM
05-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Oh, I was referring to being able to reliably run a compact lower, not interchanging them.

I was responding to DB request about interchanging Centurion and FS slides. As to your question, that is above my pay grade.

LHS
05-29-2014, 04:28 PM
As I understand it, the Compact and Centurion lowers allow for longer slide travel to accommodate the higher velocity of the lighter, shorter slides. This is why tossing a Compact slide on a full-size frame reduces reliability somewhat. If the full-size slide has some extra room to run, that might also alter the physics enough to cause issues, but I suppose only experimentation would prove one way or the other.