PDA

View Full Version : PPC Revolver

SteveK
05-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Having gotten into the gun game back in the 80's I remember reading old issues of Handguns and American Handgunner and really digging the articles about John Pride and PPC competitions. One project I've always wanted to take on is acquiring my own PPC revolver. Life is slowing down and that may be next on my "to do" gun list. Can anybody direct me to any informational sources and/or gunsmiths that still do the work. I realize that PPC isn't the popular game in town but matches can still be found locally on occasion and it's just something I've always wanted to do. I know Clark Custom is a good starting point but I am looking for well kept secrets. Thanks in advance.

Hizzie
05-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I can't answer as to PPC specifically. Scott over at SDM Fabricating is a magician in full house S&W builds. I've handled several of his IDPA 625's and bowling pin 610's. Flawless.

41magfan
05-13-2014, 01:04 PM
I'd probably look at Alan Tanaka if I was going to do a new build, but there are a number of old guns for sale out there in the used gun market. I've seen most of the big names represented over the years and I even ran across a Ron Power Grand Master a few months ago ... one of the last he ever built. They're out there, you just got to keep an eye out for them.

Some of the better guns were built by Austin Behlert, Bill Davis and Travis Strahan. Come to think of it I think Frank Glenn may still build heavy barreled revolvers.

Don't over look the stuff built by local builders, either. I've seen some "no-name" guns that would shoot in the X-Ring all day long at 50 yards with practice ammo.

Sal Picante
05-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Brian Enos' forum has a bunch of guys dedicated to Bianchi Revolver - many of 'em discuss their builds, which are similar to PPC revo.

Tamara
05-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Interestingly, one characteristic of PPC revolvers was ultralight trigger pulls, usually without much worry about keeping a reasonable weight rebound spring. When I first started getting seriously into revolvers back in '01, my gunsmith did some great PPC-style trigger jobs on them; feather-light and still busting primers reliably.

Unfortunately, they also reset glacially slow and were easy to get ahead of the trigger on when you tried to run them fast. I've been putting heavier rebound springs in them to get them back to where I could use them for something other than slow fire.

okie john
05-13-2014, 07:23 PM
I'd seriously consider a used gun. I occasionally see Clark and Power revolvers around here for well under $1,000.

Okie John

LSP552
05-13-2014, 08:00 PM
I'd sure love to have my Ken Eversull bull gun back. Sold it to another trooper when I quite shooting on the LSP team. Not sure, but don't think he's doing PPC guns now.

PPC guns are so specialized, but there is something about a handgun that can hold in the X at 50 yards.

Ken

BN
05-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Steve, Al Greco did my 3 inch Model 10. I think he might still be doing revolver work. http://www.alscustom.com/revolvers.php

Also, Gunbroker.com has a few. Do a search for PPC.

LSP972
05-14-2014, 05:50 AM
I'd sure love to have my Ken Eversull bull gun back. Sold it to another trooper when I quite shooting on the LSP team. Not sure, but don't think he's doing PPC guns now.

Ken

No, he got into doing five and six figure live pidgeon shotguns. He hasn't done any pistol work in many years.

I feel the same way about my old Davis Grade Three that Kerry Freeman built. Don't know what I would DO with it nowadays, but I'd like to have it back for nostalgia purposes.

I've been out of that game for a long time… probably all the great mechanics I knew are either dead or retired.

Tamara
05-14-2014, 07:21 AM
I'd probably look at Alan Tanaka if I was going to do a new build, but there are a number of old guns for sale out there in the used gun market. I've seen most of the big names represented over the years and I even ran across a Ron Power Grand Master a few months ago ... one of the last he ever built. They're out there, you just got to keep an eye out for them.

Also, this is what I'd do.^

Outside of a few big names, PPC guns can usually be had pretty reasonably on the used market, especially relative to the cost that went into building them.

SteveK
05-14-2014, 10:16 AM
I check gunbroker from time to time, I'm just not well-read enough at this point to discern what I need and what I don't need. I need to read up on the technical stuff and see if a used gun is what I'm looking for. I good used gun would probably be best since I don't dig on the new Smiths with the lock. Anything I would have built new would be on an old gun anyway.

LSP972
05-14-2014, 10:47 AM
... what I need and what I don't need.

Waht do you want the gun to DO?

They are amazingly accurate (if built right), but as Tamara noted the triggers are "set" for relatively slow manipulation. IOW, if you try to burn down steel plates as fast as you can, you're going to be in for a surprise.

They are accurate... but to get the most out of them requires special ammunition that you cannot find at Wally World or most gun shops. And when you do find it, you wallet will run away screaming. IOW, it will shoot WWB or other generic 130gr ball .38, or .38 RNL, or any other commonly-found .38 ammunition; but not any better than your basic skinny barrel Model 10. You can load this "special" ammo, but your bullets have to be primo... such as the excellent Speer swaged 148gr HBWC. I dunno if they even offer that bullet anymore.

I hope you're getting the picture that these things are VERY specialized. Not trying to rain on your parade here; just sayin'...

Tamara
05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
I briefly had a slab-barreled K-38 with a full-on PPC trigger job; roller lockwork, and the inside of the frame relieved so that there was just a small bearing surface for the hammer, and that meticulously polished. It had a DA trigger pull that was just sick light. Five pounds? It was a "Federal primers only" gamer gun, though.

The glory days of cheap used PPC guns pretty much went away with the glory days of cheap used ex-po-po revolvers in general, though. :(

rsa-otc
05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
After making Master class using a K-38, I actually had Austin Behlert build me one on a Mdl 15 when he was still located in Kenilworth, NJ.

Wouldn't you know it I got out of PPC shortly thereafter because I was working close to full time hours while going to college full time. To be competitive in Master class you had to put a lot of practice time in, something I didn't have. I got rid of the gun shortly afterward.

A few years after school I picked up an early 6" 686 and found I did as well with that is I did with the Behlert built gun. It just fit me well and the heavy 686 barrel was everything that the Douglas barrel was. Maybe you should look for a pre-lock 686 to scratch this itch. Mine had a taller pinned front sight allowing for a neck hold on a B-27 target at 50 yards.

On a side note both the action on he K-38 and my PPC gun were worked on by Austin and neither had issues with slow trigger return.

I can't speak to a Colt built gun but if you decide to go forward and get a Smith you can always freshen up the main spring and rebound spring to tune it to where you want it both trigger speed and cracking primer reliability wise. this should be a fairly inexpensive do it yourself adjustment.

SteveK
05-15-2014, 09:58 AM
What I'm interested in is a basic old school PPC gun. I'm not looking to burn down .18 splits with it. More interested in accuracy and a smooth trigger. We got the revolver crazy about 10 years ago shooting IDPA so I'm fine with experimenting with loads and primers to run it. I'm going back to 148 wadcutters for my .38 reloads and may buy a mould in that flavor. This is more a labour of love than an obsession as I've always thought PPC would be interesting and would like to leave my son a unique assortment of blasters. Gunbroker has used guns for under a grand so maybe that's the place to start.

LSP972
05-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Okay, good enough.

Just be aware that there are quite a few frankengun "PPC revolvers" out there, slapped together by Billy-Bob and his cousin Cletus. Unfortunately, anybody could/can acquire a Douglas or Apex, etc., bull barrel.

Look for a genuine Davis, Power, Eversull, Weddle, Glenn, etc. gun.

Do plenty of research before you buy a mold. A hollow base full wadcutter is going to provide the best accuracy, but those molds are a flaming PITA to use. Bullet casting is one aspect of the game I never got into, but I watched many a cast bullet drop from friends' molds. And of course you know to slug your barrel before choosing a sizing die.

As an aside, the most accurate of the several bull guns I owned was a Davis Grade Three with an Apex 1-in-10 micro groove (ten lands and grooves, right hand 1/10 twist) barrel. It slugged out at .356". When trying to stabilize wadcutters, the "faster" the barrel the better. This is why Colts and Smolts generally outshot S&Ws back in the early days of the game, because of the Python barrel's 1/14 twist as opposed to S&W's 1/18.75.

Good luck in your search. The best powders I found for the long line were 230P, its replacement 231, and 452AA... which you can buy these days as WST. The old stand-by 2.7 of Bullseye load always made me squirm. Despite many who dismiss it, the fact remains that more than a few guns WERE blown with this load, due to detonation. That's another research project in and of itself...

41magfan
05-20-2014, 07:54 AM
I didn't spot this one in time to forward the link at Gunbroker.com but it's a good example of what's out there. The listing ended 2-days ago it went for a mere $500 ......

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/842/n3mq.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/nen3mqj)

LSP972
05-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I never did like that front-adjustable Davis rib, although they were very popular. I preferred the Apex rib that had the three positions on the rear sight. True, you needed a screwdriver to change it, but I always kept one close by in the range box (everybody carried a box of some sort with them to the line, for toting extra speedloaders, carbide lamp, etc.) in case the light changed drastically.

Dagga Boy
05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
This looks like a pretty neat gun with a guy looking to deal.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/378421-s-w-ppc-gun-5-screw.html

SteveK
05-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Can't wait to get this "house sold/house bought" thing outta the way and start chasing some guns.

Dagga Boy
05-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Can't wait to get this "house sold/house bought" thing outta the way and start chasing some guns.

Don't you guys just tow them to a new place in your neck of the woods....;).

Just kidding brother. The in between homes is very stressful as it doesn't take much I create a domino crisis.

SteveK
05-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Yep, West Virginia, where home improvement is adding a room onto your trailer. Moving back to my hometown...gets me out of my work town, housing is way cheaper and I'll have a walk-in closet big enough for my gun safe. And housing savings = earlier retirement and MORE REVOLVERS.

Z9Gideon
08-04-2018, 06:42 PM

PPC guns are so specialized, but there is something about a handgun that can hold in the X at 50 yards.

Ken

I have my comp. ppc Eversull that I am going to sell. Should we talk?
Z9Gideon

Poconnor
08-07-2018, 08:24 AM
Hopefully you don’t hit with the new house means new furniture wife rule. I admit our new furniture is really nice but I often think I would have rather had a walk-in gun room or a Harley Davidson. If I was looking for a PPC revolver I would look for a used on and I would start at your local police academy and retired police. Put a flyer up at the police academy. They usually have a bulletin board and often today’s officer’s are the children of officers. Go to a local PPC match and gun clubs. Find the old gun nuts. I’m sure there are old retired police Officer’s that could use the money and would be glad knowing it went to a good home.

MGW
08-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Interesting to see a 4 year old thread pop back up. I am curious to know if the OP ever picked anything up.

For what it’s worth Roy Huntington is still doing revolver work. He’s trying to pass that knowledge on to a friend of mine in the process.