PDA

View Full Version : I went insane this week

Dagga Boy
05-09-2014, 10:01 PM
So I have been on a revolver kick as of late and really going back to my roots. I ended up with a PC681 4" Quad Port(1 of 50) and a PC 681 3" with the unfluted cylinder that is a two tone Green and Black Birdsong finish. The 4" should make a fun plate and pin gun, while the 3" looks like a Model 13 on roids and will make a stellar personal carry revolver. I am in 681 heaven.

Wheeler
05-09-2014, 10:14 PM
This thread deserves pictures. Especially of the 681...

Chuck Haggard
05-09-2014, 10:16 PM
I have a plain vanilla 681 4", good gun, lucked into it for cheap a few years ago. Even had a very nice trigger, I didn't have to do anything with it to shoot really well except load it and get to work.

Dagga Boy
05-09-2014, 11:00 PM
This thread deserves pictures. Especially of the 681...

Wish I knew how?????

If you Google Performance Center 681, there should be pictures of both.

TCinVA
05-09-2014, 11:08 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/Z06M16A1/NON%20Title%202%20Toys/681ontherocks.jpg

She's a looker...

Wheeler
05-09-2014, 11:19 PM
That is a good looking pistola.

LSP552
05-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Very nice!

Ken

Savage Hands
05-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Nice!

Hizzie
05-09-2014, 11:41 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Smith-Wesson-PC-Performance-Center-Mag/1645819.uts

The 4" is a truly rare bird. Only 50 pieces for Camfour in 2001. All the rest were 3" tubes. The two tone is a Lew Horton. Those were the 3rd and final run of 681's I'm aware of.

SeriousStudent
05-09-2014, 11:57 PM
*cough* Revolver Summit *cough*

Nice looking pistolas!

Malamute
05-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Wish I knew how?????

Send them along to the Frontier Outpost Tech Services.

revchuck
05-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Sweet! I've got a 681-2 that was an unfired police trade in. I sent it back to S&W for an action job and bead blast and it came back really nice, though not as pretty as your two. It's one of those comforting, rather than comfortable, carry guns.

charliefox
05-10-2014, 06:41 AM
I always thought the 681 never got the respect it should have. It would have been perfect with a round butt and a 3" barrel, but alas, it was overshadowed by its brother, the 686.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
05-10-2014, 08:06 AM
I always thought the 681 never got the respect it should have. It would have been perfect with a round butt and a 3" barrel, but alas, it was overshadowed by its brother, the 686.

Initial impressions mirror this. I had a both a Horton 2 3/4" and 4" 686 before I got hired as a cop. After that they sort of faded because we carried N frames to handle our .45 Colt loads, and when I carried .38/.357 it was in an off-duty capacity with a 3" 13. Later all my guns in this caliber were usually smaller.

So, my initial impressions with the 4" Camfour Quad Port Performance Center 681 is this: It is perfect for what Hizzie was using it for. It would have been sort of the pinnacle of a L/E duty gun for an officer mandated to or preferring to carry a revolver. It serves very few uses for me, other than neat as heck, and super rare. For competition the 7 rounds and porting pretty much make it IDPA unfriendly (yet it is really practical as a real world gun....weird:confused:). The fixed sights hold it back for the competitive venues where it would be legal. The 3" variant makes a bit more sense, which is why I jumped on the 3" Horton gun......I am going to carry that thing. I sort of wish I could slam the PC681 4" together with my 686SSR and take the features I like from both for a IDPA gun. For right now, I am happy as a clam to have the Police Duty Revolver taken to the hilt. The moon clip cut allows for use of moon clipped ammo for the initial loading to aid in extraction and admin duties and I am going to work with the long handled SL Variant loaders and I have a feeling these are going to be the heat with this. I like the idea of the quad ports for shooting full house defensive .357. I have always liked Magna-porting with the hot magnum revolver cartridges. Front sight will likely get some color on this one, while the Horton may get a trip to tool tech for tritium. The round butt configuration adds some ability to take a lot of different grips, although on 4 inch or longer guns I usually like a square butt configuration. No lock......which simply makes me happy. Its got a very good trigger with an over-travel stop, which is a positive all around.

So again, a 1 of 50 gun that would have sold like hot cakes in Southern California in my early years, especially at L.A. County Sheriff's. I am ordering a non-ported 4" tube for it just to have in case some day there is a venue that it works perfect in but the ports cause and issue........but really just to have as it will add to its rare status:cool:. I look at this as my Glock 17's cut to take 19 mags. Its the gun Smith should have been churning out a long time ago. The round butt 681 would have been great in the revolver hey day, especially in a 3".

Wayne Dobbs
05-10-2014, 09:33 AM
The great thing about L frame and N frames is they make a good impact weapon if needed...

Dagga Boy
05-10-2014, 10:59 AM
The great thing about L frame and N frames is they make a good impact weapon if needed...

It's hard to make a shocked face and pretend that I have no idea what you are talking about when the Hebrew Hammer (4" .45 Colt N frame) has a set of teeth marks in the trigger guard :p. There is a guy strolling around SoCal with the perfect imprint of the entire front end of a Glock 17 scarred into his temple. That was mine as well and it was back in 1988 when I was carrying the Hammer on duty but the Glock was an off duty. I remember noting at the time that the Glock did not have even close to the same effect as the Hammer had in similar circumstances. It was sort of a "note to self...don't hit guys with these new fangled polymer guns, they suck".

Wheeler
05-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I don't want to come across as contentious so please don't take my comments as such.

I had three of the CS 686's at one time. A 4", a 3" and a 3" with Magna-Ports. I sold the 4" for a lot less than I could get for it now. :(
I carried the ported 3" and used the unmolested one for IDPA and the occasional IPSC match. The only time I shot the ported 3" in matches was when we had low light/Armed Citizen style matches. I found out really fast that shooting a ported revolver from retention was a Bad Idea. Especially with 1450fps 125gr HP's. I eventually sold the ported 3" (once again for a lot less than I could get for it now.)
The idea of finding a cosmetically challenged 581 and putting a 3" barrel with a round butt conversion has stuck with me for quite some time.

Hizzie
05-10-2014, 12:22 PM
The Competition handles screw off the SLVs. They are much faster than those HKS you are used to. I routinely beat my brothers on the line during reloads, even with their fancy bottom feeders. I wish I had pics from when I carried that beast on duty.

ETA - Ohio qualification had hip shooting as part of the requirements. I ran the Federal 357B 125gr 357 magnum JHP load. I never had any issues. Several other officers did blame their low scores on my muzzle blast/flash though.

Dagga Boy
05-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Well.........it continues. Heard one of the local cop shops had some police trade ins from overseas.............:cool:.

A 3" Square Butt Model 10-5 in pretty good shape, and a 2.5" 686-3 were rescued from the masses. The 686 needs some grips as they are sort of a weird size and I haven't found any regular RB K/L grips that fit yet. The 10-5 just need a Tyler or Pachmayr T grip and it will be a bad ass little gun. I really like it. The 686 may end up being a good Bowen Project or maybe trade fodder.

Hizzie
05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
You sling any lead down range with that 681 yet?

Dagga Boy
05-16-2014, 08:13 PM
You sling any lead down range with that 681 yet?

This weekend durin class.

Tamara
05-17-2014, 03:48 PM
So I have been on a revolver kick as of late and really going back to my roots. I ended up with a PC681 4" Quad Port(1 of 50) and a PC 681 3" with the unfluted cylinder that is a two tone Green and Black Birdsong finish.

Just for the record, I hate you. :p

Dagga Boy
05-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Just for the record, I hate you. :p

While you are hating, I need your expertise. The 2.5" 686 I just picked up does not take round butt k frame grips correctly. The grip seems at a little different angle, and it is a little "shorter" front to rear at the top of the back strap (essentially a gap between the grip and frame at the top if you can even get grips on). Did the Horton guns ever have a weird frame size that you recall? It is a factory grip frame and has not been modified.

Tamara
05-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Did the Horton guns ever have a weird frame size that you recall?

Not to my knowledge, no. Whose stocks are you using?

shooter220
05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
While you are hating, I need your expertise. The 2.5" 686 I just picked up does not take round butt k frame grips correctly. The grip seems at a little different angle, and it is a little "shorter" front to rear at the top of the back strap (essentially a gap between the grip and frame at the top if you can even get grips on). Did the Horton guns ever have a weird frame size that you recall? It is a factory grip frame and has not been modified.

Was the 2.5 barrel factory? I would only expect that problem from a square to round frame conversion that wasn't done properly, but I would be stunned if there are many square frame 2.5s out there.

-shooter

Wheeler
05-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Not all grip frames are made equal. Several of the custom grip makers claim that the grip frames of S&W revolvers vary and may require hand fitting.

Dagga Boy
05-17-2014, 09:32 PM
It's a factory....... Or the best conversion ever.
Tried Hogue's, uncle mikes boots, altamonts, the Pachmyer presentation compacts that were on it are close but not quit right. I think I ll try some squares and see how they fit at the top.

Dagga Boy
05-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Well, I figured it out. The grip frame is probably bent a little towards the trigger guard. It is essentially straighter up and down and about an 1/8" forward at the base from a typical RB K frame. Because its closer, any of the grips that fill behind the trigger guard just don't fit right. The initial solution will be some nice RB Magna's and probably some custom G-10 Godzilla grips. I have a feeling that some miscreant in Puerto Rico got pistol whipped with this thing with the rear base of the grip hitting a skull. There is no physical indication at all of an issue or scars.
On the positive side. The gun has a GREAT "duty" action. Buttery smooth. It also shoots good although the sights need some adjustment (they were cranked all the way down, so it shot low). Also, the 3" Model 10-3 is a lifetime keeper. It is that good. It looks like it had maybe a box of ammunition through it in its lifetime. Someone may have left it in a holster that was wet as it has some ugly along the length of the outside portion of one chamber of the cylinder and along the top strap above the cylinder (not rust, may have been soda or something that discolored the blueing). I am thinking very hard about this going to Robar for NP3 Plus.

Additionally, the PC 681 4" Quad port is as I thought it would be. Really accurate, super light recoil, and as I said before.....It would be the perfect duty revolver for a LEO. Unfortunately, the days of revolver armed LEO's is long past. It was also weird loading 7 rounds instead of 6. I should get the 3" this week, and that one will see some carry and shooting.

LSP972
05-19-2014, 08:47 AM
It was also weird loading 7 rounds instead of 6.

I know, right?

HKS makes a speedloader, and somebody makes eight round speed strips. I felt like I was being unfaithful to somebody, using that HKS. But it works… after a fashion.

Hizzie
05-19-2014, 11:43 AM
I know, right?

HKS makes a speedloader, and somebody makes eight round speed strips. I felt like I was being unfaithful to somebody, using that HKS. But it works… after a fashion.

HKS? Slumming it. The 681 came with 5 SL Variant loaders.

Dagga Boy
05-19-2014, 02:09 PM

I didn't want to rub his nose in it. They are like HK speed loaders.;)

I do use a lot of HKS stuff because of my N frame love. For the K's and L's I am very much a Comp 2 guy.

LSP972
05-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Oh. Well.

Yeah, using HKS loaders is like using a swivel holster; it works... after a fashion.;)

LSP972
05-19-2014, 06:29 PM
I didn't want to rub his nose in it.

I do use a lot of HKS stuff because of my N frame love.

And I'll bet you wore a swivel holster in your salad days.

Yeah, Comp 2s are where its at for carrying. Just the other day, I found a whole Crown Royal bag full of K frame Comp 2s I forgot I had.

Christmas in May…

Dagga Boy
05-19-2014, 06:58 PM
And I'll bet you wore a swivel holster in your salad days.

Yeah, Comp 2s are where its at for carrying. Just the other day, I found a whole Crown Royal bag full of K frame Comp 2s I forgot I had.

Christmas in May…

I love when I "find" stuff!
I am the biggest "anti-swivel" guy you will find. I hate them. I have flashbacks of looking down too many barrels of them spinning around when guys were in fights......and with a 6" N frame there was a lot of momentum. I liked running with long shanked muzzle forward cant Gordon Davis holsters for speed rigs and I ran Safariland 070's (Rogers SSIII's in the old days) as duty rigs almost my entire career. I liked a locked wrist rearward draw, and liked a true security holster for duty.

Dagga Boy
05-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Also, while we are finding things....I am looking for Tyler T-Grips if somebody has some in a bag of gun stuff somewhere.

LSP972
05-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I ran Safariland 070's (Rogers SSIII's in the old days) as duty rigs almost my entire career. I liked a locked wrist rearward draw, and liked a true security holster for duty.

Old days? The Rogers and 070s were "new-fangled" stuff. Wanna talk old days forward cant?

Safariland Model 13, baby!

Malamute
05-19-2014, 09:48 PM
I know, right?

A buddy had one of the 7 shooters a few years ago, his brother was a tool and die maker, he studied the Safariland comp 3's and machined some for the 7 shooter with the plastic parts made out of aluminum stock. They were pretty cool.

Dagga Boy
05-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Old days? The Rogers and 070s were "new-fangled" stuff. Wanna talk old days forward cant?

Safariland Model 13, baby!

I'm trying to remember which one that is. I started demo'ing the heathen Rogers SSIII back when I worked in a cop shop as my college job. Trust me, Me and the guys I went through the academy with (who I forced to go with the SSIII) were the only ones running them when I started. Talking to Gordon Davis regularly back in those days is what got me using muzzle forward cant rigs. In those days it was all "FBI" muzzle rear stuff....which sucked for both speed and weapon retention. The "gun guys" would run Hoyt's or Nelson's and the "cowboys" and traffic guys tended to use the swivels.

I was pretty much as fast as was possible with the SSIII and eventually started competing with it as well. I won the "Top Gun" shoot for the largest county in the U.S. running a SSIII.

SeriousStudent
05-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Also, while we are finding things....I am looking for Tyler T-Grips if somebody has some in a bag of gun stuff somewhere.

For a J-frame Smith? Or K-frames?

Dagga Boy
05-19-2014, 10:20 PM
For a J-frame Smith? Or K-frames?

K and N frame.

SeriousStudent
05-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Rats, mine are all J frame.

LSP972
05-20-2014, 07:36 AM
I'm trying to remember which one that is.

I've been able to find exactly ONE photo on the net, and that one was of the 1911 version. And my 'puter-fu is insufficient to get it posted here, aside from the fact that I apparently do not have attachment-posting privileges here.

It was a basic duty-type thumb break holster, that held the grips/stocks parallel to the belt line, at the belt line; perfect for a proper locked-wrist draw. The muzzle of the holster actually blocked access to the front pants pocket on that side, and you had to sit a bit "side-saddle" in your unit (and most chairs); but it was lightning-fast. And, of course, served the handgun up nicely for a from-behind grab attempt. But that was less of a problem in those days. If you messed with the po-lice, you got thumped- or worse- and very few, if any, questions were asked. Unlike today, when a cop can get fired for using harsh language.

No free lunch…

Today, a Safariland Model 13 is a magazine pouch. Sigh.

Dagga Boy
05-20-2014, 08:37 AM
I've been able to find exactly ONE photo on the net, and that one was of the 1911 version. And my 'puter-fu is insufficient to get it posted here, aside from the fact that I apparently do not have attachment-posting privileges here.

It was a basic duty-type thumb break holster, that held the grips/stocks parallel to the belt line, at the belt line; perfect for a proper locked-wrist draw. The muzzle of the holster actually blocked access to the front pants pocket on that side, and you had to sit a bit "side-saddle" in your unit (and most chairs); but it was lightning-fast. And, of course, served the handgun up nicely for a from-behind grab attempt. But that was less of a problem in those days. If you messed with the po-lice, you got thumped- or worse- and very few, if any, questions were asked. Unlike today, when a cop can get fired for using harsh language.

No free lunch…

Today, a Safariland Model 13 is a magazine pouch. Sigh.

Okay, I found the picture you mentioned. It is like a Safariland version of the Davis 4500 with the muzzle forward rake, which is a great rig. It was weird that everyone built holsters to prevent from the rear gun grabs. We found out with a lot of dead cops that the gun grabs were actually coming from the front. That was why the SSIII/070 was so good. All of the attempts that happened for me were all from the front, and the holster itself saved my life twice. I had several customers I talked into SSIII's that the holster saved them as well. Two that I remember well were in San Diego. In one, an officer was beaten to total unconsciousness on the beach. The 5 guys who beat him into that condition were all trying to get his gun out and were unable to even while he was completely out. It messes up the "cop theory" of "I'll never let anyone get that close to me".....yeah right. That guy was a hard as nails SWAT copper who was as far from pushover as you can be. When you are by yourself in a mob, it becomes a different story. Another guy was put on "security duty" at the hospital where a shot gang member was taken. When the rival gang who shot the guy showed up to finish the job, that officer ended up pinned up against a wall and the gang was trying so hard to remove his pistol that they literally broke his keepers, but the SIG never released from the holster. He was also beaten to a point of unable to defend himself.

The straight drop or slightly muzzle forward traditional rigs allow an elbow lock on the gun and are good holsters........as long as you are conscious. The SSIII was great when you were WAY over your head.

On a side note while people are "finding things". I need a set of Square Butt K frame Uncle Mikes grips if somebody has those in a grip box somewhere.

LSP972
05-20-2014, 01:42 PM
It is like a Safariland version of the Davis 4500 with the muzzle forward rake, which is a great rig.

Yes.

Uncle Mike's??? Dude… seriously?

With your SoCal connections, you should be able to rustle up a pair of Hurst stocks, or perhaps some Herret's or vintage Pachmyars.

But if you're gonna go retro AND cheap, at least get a pair of those old Rogers bakelite copies of Pachmyars or some vintage Goodyears… please!

Dagga Boy
05-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Yes.

Uncle Mike's??? Dude… seriously?

With your SoCal connections, you should be able to rustle up a pair of Hurst stocks, or perhaps some Herret's or vintage Pachmyars.

But if you're gonna go retro AND cheap, at least get a pair of those old Rogers bakelite copies of Pachmyars or some vintage Goodyears… please!

The Uncle Mikes are rubber versions of Craig Spegal's boot grips (who just called me 10 minutes ago about the custom fitted wood grips for my 520 and a future set for my 27-2.......because it makes Tam happy:cool:). They fit my hand good, and even though they are "Uncle Mike's", they are a great design that I like for going out and shooting. The Rogers/Safariland Bakelites are on both the Hebrew Hammer and my 25-7 5" of 1989 as they were what I ran on the street.

Wheeler
05-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Uncle Mikes made some of the best rubber grips around when they were in the revolver grip business. I have a set on my 12-3. I much prefer them to most of the Pachmayer offerings.

LSP972
05-20-2014, 05:14 PM
The Rogers/Safariland Bakelites are on both the Hebrew Hammer and my 25-7 5" of 1989 as they were what I ran on the street.

Got a pair on my "car gun"… a square butt M-66 that I put a 2" M-64 barrel on. Its an odd-looking critter… but does the job.

Dagga Boy
05-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Got a pair on my "car gun"… a square butt M-66 that I put a 2" M-64 barrel on. Its an odd-looking critter… but does the job.

If you find anymore, let me know. I love those things.

I just got off the phone with Robar and the M10 will be going to the spa for an awesome treatment. I think the only option for the 686 is going to be some custom built Gorilla Grips, and it will end up as a car gun.

Chuck Haggard
05-20-2014, 09:55 PM
I'd really like to find a 3" model 65 some day, and either bob the hammer and use it for a carry gun, or install the set of Bianchi Lightening grips I have and use it for a car gun.

Drang
05-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Stopped by the FLGS today, the used Commander they were advertising is gone, but they have a lot of S&W revolver goodness in stock, including the 3" 629-8 PC special (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766338_-1_775662_775655_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y) I've been eyeballing.
I managed to NOT go insane, although the way I ran out with my wallet screaming at me has them doubting.

Dagga Boy
05-20-2014, 10:48 PM
If it was a PC 3" 629-3 instead of the newer 8, I would have burned a card down.

LSP972
05-21-2014, 07:10 AM
I just got off the phone with Robar and the M10 will be going to the spa for an awesome treatment. .

I intend to put the M-12 in with the HK45C at Birdsong's. But your pal in Houston advises that's he's so backed up he's not taking any new work at this time; so the 45C facelift will be on hold for the time being.

You going dark, or light, with the M-10?

Check your PM...

Dagga Boy
05-21-2014, 07:26 AM
I intend to put the M-12 in with the HK45C at Birdsong's. But your pal in Houston advises that's he's so backed up he's not taking any new work at this time; so the 45C facelift will be on hold for the time being.

You going dark, or light, with the M-10?

Check your PM...

Light. NP3 Plus all the way around on this one. Stippled rear back strap and remove the hammer spur while its out of the gun.

If you are interested, I know that Robar will also stipple polymer frames. They could do your HK45C like mine (mine is the coyote one they have been using for advertising). PM me for a POC at Robar that can give you a solid rundown.

Chuck Haggard
05-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Local guy has a model 10 in good shape for sale, 4" gun. Wants $350, which seems pretty decent on price. After seeing DB's 3" model 10 I am thinking about buying this one and having the barrel cut down.

Dagga Boy
05-29-2014, 04:39 PM
So it continues.............Picked up the Lew Horton 681 3" Performance Center gun with the green and black Birdsong treatment. It may have the best trigger I have ever felt in a street gun (it actually is like a competition revolver trigger). This thing is getting carried a lot-period. The 3" Model 10-10 Brazilian contract overrun is also enroute (very rare and the best looking of the model 10's...:cool:).

Last Tuesday I stopped at my favorite gun shop, Jackson Armory in Dallas. I fondled a fully Weldon Bledsoe engraved model 10-5 snub that is likely a retired Texas Rangers gun (It has Texas Ranger engraved down the back strap). It was stupid expensive, BUT with some detective work to establish provenance, it could have been a great score. It was a crap shoot and a gamble. I decide to take some safe queens in for a trade in.

I had them pull out the 10-5 and also grab the PRE-27 Nickel 3.5" .357 Magnum with real Ivory grips. I spent an hour going back and forth and decided to play the "sure thing". The 3.5" .357 Magnum N frame is by far my favorite handgun of all time. I decided to get the PRE-27 with the Ivory (S serial number......cause Tam says that's good:cool:) and have it engraved myself. This will make my Blue 3.5" Model 27 with an N serial number and fake ivory a user. Should be a nice pair with one to shoot and carry, and one to look good wearing and to make Tam jealous (along with a few others). I have a couple of bespoke Hank Sloan holsters in process as well to best match each gun. If I ever Open Carry, it will be done with class and sophistication.

RevolverRob
05-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Who is doing your Hank Sloan holsters?

So jealous. Jackson Armory is the best KITTENED gunstore in Dallas. I grew up in Big-D but never went in there until late last year when visiting the family. My wife went in with me and they were having a Christmas party and her response was, "Oh my gawd. I have to get you out of here NOW!" Rare books AND rare guns? Yes...I was having a difficult time not blowing our entire retirement/savings funds right there on the spot. If I ever get back in Death Dealer™ biz, I want to a shop like Jackson Armory.

-Rob

Clyde from Carolina
05-29-2014, 08:08 PM
It was sort of a "note to self...don't hit guys with these new fangled polymer guns, they suck".

Great line!

A female officer I once trained recently made do with a polymer pistola and actually did just fine with it. It was a heavy duty H&K though, so maybe the heavier polymer and steel USP 45 made it a little more effective than the Glock. Or maybe the evil doer was just a little bit weaker. Anyway, it worked.

But yeah, a Colt New Service or a 681 would've probably been even better.

LHS
05-30-2014, 01:54 AM
So it continues.............Picked up the Lew Horton 681 3" Performance Center gun with the green and black Birdsong treatment. It may have the best trigger I have ever felt in a street gun (it actually is like a competition revolver trigger). This thing is getting carried a lot-period. The 3" Model 10-10 Brazilian contract overrun is also enroute (very rare and the best looking of the model 10's...:cool:).

Last Tuesday I stopped at my favorite gun shop, Jackson Armory in Dallas. I fondled a fully Weldon Bledsoe engraved model 10-5 snub that is likely a retired Texas Rangers gun (It has Texas Ranger engraved down the back strap). It was stupid expensive, BUT with some detective work to establish provenance, it could have been a great score. It was a crap shoot and a gamble. I decide to take some safe queens in for a trade in.

I had them pull out the 10-5 and also grab the PRE-27 Nickel 3.5" .357 Magnum with real Ivory grips. I spent an hour going back and forth and decided to play the "sure thing". The 3.5" .357 Magnum N frame is by far my favorite handgun of all time. I decided to get the PRE-27 with the Ivory (S serial number......cause Tam says that's good:cool:) and have it engraved myself. This will make my Blue 3.5" Model 27 with an N serial number and fake ivory a user. Should be a nice pair with one to shoot and carry, and one to look good wearing and to make Tam jealous (along with a few others). I have a couple of bespoke Hank Sloan holsters in process as well to best match each gun. If I ever Open Carry, it will be done with class and sophistication.

I have a soft spot for 3" K-frames.

But I want to see that 3.5" .357 :)

Malamute
05-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Have a couple pictures of Nyetis nickel 3 1/2" Pre-27, looks like a really nice one!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/Nyetispre-271st_zpsd9169f88.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/Nyetispre-272nd_zps8dac4a27.jpg

LSP972
05-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Ah… such five-screw goodness.

If that isn't a BBQ gun, then I've never seen one.

Dagga Boy
05-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Ah… such five-screw goodness.

If that isn't a BBQ gun, then I've never seen one.

I almost make a joke about BBQ guns in Texas. I found out when I moved here that there is no such thing. Nobody knows what I am talking about. So now it is kind of a funny joke. Kind of like when I am out training with the bubba's in rural areas and I tell them about qualifying in SoCal by standing on the beach and shooting into the Pacific Ocean under the palm trees:cool:. Some actually believe me. In a locker room somewhere a cop is relating that in California they qualify on the gosh darn beach!.

In all seriousness, what I have found is a real fondness for the engraved and adorned guns. It is like a pride in your office thing with the rural L/E guys. Also, I have heard that they make for good "court guns". Kind of like wearing a suit and tie. I will say that the one guy I saw in the whole outfit right down to a vest with a pocket watch and fob with a 1911 that I am sure was his dads and maybe grandfather's as well with well worn Stag grips in a ................f*cking Fobus holster was a HUGE let down for me:mad:. On the other hand, the local Texas Ranger for the department I hang out a lot is one of the best dressed LEO's I have ever seen. Gorgeous adorned leather and a nice 1911.

I am getting the above gun engraved. The debate is traditional vs. something like cattle brands or barbed wire. I'll work it out with the engraver.

LSP972
05-31-2014, 05:16 PM
I am getting the above gun engraved. The debate is traditional vs. something like cattle brands or barbed wire. I'll work it out with the engraver.

Is he gonna strip the nickle first? What re-finish do you plan on?

On the one hand, I think it a bit scandalous that you plan to have such a treasure engraved… OTOH, its YOUR treasure, so more power to you.

Dagga Boy
05-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Part of the "selling point" was that it is a factory re nickel. It is good because it is factory, but I also don't feel as bad by ruining a rare original nickel.
I am thinking of doing a through the nickel engraving, but I need to talk to the engraver about what the best route is as this is all new to me.
If it is not going to work out with engraving, I am quite happy leaving it just the way it is and maybe buying an engraved pistol down the road, or getting a gun in the white to do it right.

LSP972
05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
I am thinking of doing a through the nickel engraving,

Huh? Can they do that without getting through the copper base? I rather doubt it… and then you'd have a just-about-guaranteed case peeling and flaking, in short order.

Malamute
05-31-2014, 09:37 PM
Huh? Can they do that without getting through the copper base? I rather doubt it… and then you'd have a just-about-guaranteed case peeling and flaking, in short order.

I heard of a guy that engraved a couple Colt SAA's that were nickel. He engraved through the nickel, then cold blued the engraved parts. I was told it looked pretty good, but never heard about flaking. I don't know who has those guns.

It would definitely be engraved through the copper layer.

Dagga Boy
05-31-2014, 10:35 PM

Wolf and Klar engraving is through the nickel. It is considered by "engraving standards" to be poor engraving. With that said, Wolf and Klar guns were often working cop revolvers of their time, and have a TON of Texas history. Most of the the so-called BBQ guns are likely Wolf and Klar guns that were ordered as nickel guns and then engraved at the Fort Worth pawn shop (based on my couple days of internet research). Many Texas lawmen would have their names engraved on these working revolvers along with the rough engraving. They were also famous for the steer head grips along with those adorned revolvers. Nothing has changed with cops.....they went cheap 70 years ago too. Wolf and Klar was kind of the Serpa/5.11 of their day.

Also, Malamute is on the money. From what I understand, blueing on top of the engraving is supposed to look great.

One of the guns sitting in the safe as a project is an old Colt New Service in .38-40. I bought it to make a "Fitz" out of it, as it has a terrible nickel job and is not in particularly good shape. I am thinking that I may get a "working cop" engraving job on it when I get around to finding somebody to do the "Fitz" conversion. I think it would be a better example of a creating a depression era cop gun and I'll leave the Smith in all its shiny glory.

Malamute
05-31-2014, 10:50 PM
Wolf and Klar engraving is through the nickel. It is considered by "engraving standards" to be poor engraving. With that said, Wolf and Klar guns were often working cop revolvers of their time, and have a TON of Texas history. Most of the the so-called BBQ guns are likely Wolf and Klar guns that were ordered as nickel guns and then engraved at the Fort Worth pawn shop (based on my couple days of internet research). Many Texas lawmen would have their names engraved on these working revolvers along with the rough engraving. They were also famous for the steer head grips along with those adorned revolvers. Nothing has changed with cops.....they went cheap 70 years ago too. Wolf and Klar was kind of the Serpa/5.11 of their day.

Also, Malamute is on the money. From what I understand, blueing on top of the engraving is supposed to look great.

One of the guns sitting in the safe as a project is an old Colt New Service in .38-40. I bought it to make a "Fitz" out of it, as it has a terrible nickel job and is not in particularly good shape. I am thinking that I may get a "working cop" engraving job on it when I get around to finding somebody to do the "Fitz" conversion. I think it would be a better example of a creating a depression era cop gun and I'll leave the Smith in all its shiny glory.

Nickel Smiths and Colt SAA's have a certain class about them that doesn't require much beyond nice grips. Good color-case hardening colors on the hammer and trigger stand out well on nickel. Your pre-27 is a real looker just the way it is.

I'd be tempted to get the New Service de-nickeled, cleaned up properly if it can be done, and maybe a decent engraving job on it, then a nice finish, maybe a factory re-nickel?

Dagga Boy
05-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Nickel Smiths and Colt SAA's have a certain class about them that doesn't require much beyond nice grips. Good color-case hardening colors on the hammer and trigger stand out well on nickel. Your pre-27 is a real looker just the way it is.

I'd be tempted to get the New Service de-nickeled, cleaned up properly if it can be done, and maybe a decent engraving job on it, then a nice finish, maybe a factory re-nickel?

I am made a couple of calls when this whole adventure started to get some logic involved as I know I am running on pure emotion. This thread has also helped "talk me down". I think you are 100 percent right on this one and that Colt would make for a better experiment.......plus I am only into that one for under $250, so I am not rolling the dice on ruining something expensive.

Malamute
05-31-2014, 11:27 PM
I am made a couple of calls when this whole adventure started to get some logic involved as I know I am running on pure emotion. This thread has also helped "talk me down". I think you are 100 percent right on this one and that Colt would make for a better experiment.......plus I am only into that one for under $250, so I am not rolling the dice on ruining something expensive.

Interesting thoughts. I like the "get some logic involved" idea. I should try that some time.

The Smith doesn't need any help, its a great piece as is, even being a factory refinish. The Colt could be a cool usable gun again with a little TLC.

I was temped by a New Service that was in the $350 range. I think you got into it pretty right, even if it takes a little effort to get it all ready for taking out in public. Well restored/saved guns make me smile, even though all factory original is very cool. Maybe that's why I get rescue dogs?

Dagga Boy
05-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Yea, I have a bunch of rescues in the safe. I've spent a good amount of cash over the years "saving guns" and some great projects. It is fun obsessing over the process.

On another note, here is a neat thread I just found about the Wolf and Klar guns. Warning.....it is both interesting and will hurt your eyes with what was done to "embellish" all these old cop guns. Great history lesson none the less.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/104636-another-old-pawn-shop-engraved-w-k-comes-surface.html

Wheeler
06-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Yea, I have a bunch of rescues in the safe. I've spent a good amount of cash over the years "saving guns" and some great projects. It is fun obsessing over the process.

On another note, here is a neat thread I just found about the Wolf and Klar guns. Warning.....it is both interesting and will hurt your eyes with what was done to "embellish" all these old cop guns. Great history lesson none the less.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/104636-another-old-pawn-shop-engraved-w-k-comes-surface.html

I've found it much safer for my peace of mind to avoid the S&W forum just because of threads such as the one linked. :-)

Dagga Boy
06-01-2014, 09:32 AM
What is funny is that those really ARE what "BBQ guns" are. It seems like most of the LEO's of those era's in Texas wore "embellished" guns, especially those of rank and the rural guys. The Wolf and Klar guns that were engraved were the common guy guns. Wolf and Klar did all those .44's with the enclosed ejector housing, so it was not selling crap guns, it was what was done on the jewelery side of the shop. The "gun guys" ordered factory engraved guns that are true legendary works of art, or commissioned one of the couple of really good engravers of the era to do their guns. In that era, it would have been a huge investment.

If nothing else, all the reading the last week on LEO revolver history has been fun.

I also am thinking now about using "Wayne's favorite" 1911 of mine as a good candidate for getting stripped to the bare metal and engraved. I ll miss the chrome and gold, but it would be worth it :D.

Malamute
06-01-2014, 09:59 AM
... The "gun guys" ordered factory engraved guns that are true legendary works of art, or commissioned one of the couple of really good engravers of the era to do their guns. In that era, it would have been a huge investment.

I traded into a factory engraved 29 years ago. I was sorely temped to shoot it and carry it. I traded it off before anything happened to it. If it hadn't been an 8 3/8" barrel, I probably would have fallen to the temptation.

LSP972
06-01-2014, 02:18 PM
This thread has also helped "talk me down". I think you are 100 percent right on this one and that Colt would make for a better experiment.......

I are relieved.

Say, Malamute… do you get any points for the save???:D

Malamute
06-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I are relieved.

Say, Malamute… do you get any points for the save???:D

I don't know. If he ever comes through the neighborhood, maybe he'll bring the nickel 27 and some ammo and let me shoot it.

TheTrevor
06-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Posting a few pictures on nyeti's behalf...

ffhounddog
06-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Very nice, I would go a little different in the head too...

JeffJ
06-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Why have I never been to Jackson Armory? I'm going at lunch.

Dagga Boy
06-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Be careful. You may find things you didn't know you need. The MG42 is sort of calling me right now.....;), but the Cannon or the .22Lr Gatling gun would also look good at Casa De Nyeti.

theJanitor
06-02-2014, 01:37 PM

I'm a few thousand miles away, and I visit their Gunbroker page almost daily....

JeffJ
06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
I got busy and didn't make it, but tomorrow....

Dagga Boy
06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I am not destined to have an engraved gun.....:( So I start doing a little research on the total pimp chrome (yes, like bumper chrome) with gold small parts 1911A1 I have thinking that I can get the chrome stripped and have it engraved and then nickeled or blued over the engraving. Turns out that the 1911A1 is one of the very rare guns that were Colt Commercial guns transferred to the US military in 1943 due to being unable to keep up with Military needs with the military guns (6,575 made). It is in perfect condition with perfect markings:D. So.......now I need to find a place to strip it and restore the finish as I don't want to ruin a piece of history. Back to cutting up the New Service into a Fitz, and then getting it engraved.

LSP972
06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
So.......now I need to find a place to strip it and restore the finish as I don't want to ruin a piece of history.

That's the spirit! And a factory re-nickle job is still factory nickle. If you desecrate that pre-M27, Horace Smith's ghost will come visit you…

I'd go with Doug Turnbull for your 1911A1. Get ready for sticker shock, but he's the best, AFAIK.

TR675
06-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Nothing quite like going there in person. It's a trip. What a great store.

Dagga Boy
06-02-2014, 06:08 PM
That's the spirit! And a factory re-nickle job is still factory nickle. If you desecrate that pre-M27, Horace Smith's ghost will come visit you…

I'd go with Doug Turnbull for your 1911A1. Get ready for sticker shock, but he's the best, AFAIK.

I will do the right thing. I am just waiting to find out that my 38-40 New Service was Col. Charles Askins........that will be the final blow that God does not think I should have an engraved gun. Unlike the folks who chromed the 1911........it pays to do some research before screwing something up.

LSP972
06-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah, every now and then a real classic that some Bubba had bumper-chromed comes through the lab. We have a sad moment, but life goes on.

There is, however, a special place in hell for the morons who commit such atrocities.

And they do get creative. Probably the most spectacular example of moronic bling I've seen since going to work there was the WASR that some homeboy had chromed, with gold highlights… to include a gold-plated bicycle chain for a sling.

I still kick myself for not taking any personal photos of that one.

Tamara
06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Yeah, my 3rd Model .44 Hand Ejector was re-nickeled, and not terribly well. I'm not saying I hope that Dan Wesson's ghost pimp-slapped the guy who did it but... well, yes, I am.

LHS
06-05-2014, 11:52 PM
One of my friends had his grandpa's old first-model, 1894-vintage Colt Frontier Six Shooter in .44-40, but his grandpa apparently hated the gun and murdered it with a buffing wheel before rebluing it. Most of the barrel markings are worn completely away. I nearly cried when I got to see it up close.

Chuck Haggard
06-06-2014, 02:58 PM
DB, you could always pick a non-collector gun and go nuts;

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/05/outrageous-engraved-gold-plated-glock-10-photos/

Dagga Boy
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
DB, you could always pick a non-collector gun and go nuts;

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/05/outrageous-engraved-gold-plated-glock-10-photos/

Somewhere in the Middle East, a Prince is drooling.

LSP972
06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Jeez… that's worse than those gold/engraved P7s that Collector's Firearms in Houston have.

I didn't think anything could be more egregious.

I was wrong.

Thanks a lot, Chuck… that which has been seen cannot be unseen.

Chuck Haggard
06-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Jeez… that's worse than those gold/engraved P7s that Collector's Firearms in Houston have.

I didn't think anything could be more egregious.

I was wrong.

Thanks a lot, Chuck… that which has been seen cannot be unseen.

You need to get out more;

https://www.google.com/search?q=custom+hi+point&biw=1344&bih=673&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=rXCSU9uDPdGxyASFlYG4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=0%3Bcustom%20hi%20point%209m m&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

LHS
06-07-2014, 12:46 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=custom+hi+point&biw=1344&bih=673&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=rXCSU9uDPdGxyASFlYG4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=0%3Bcustom%20hi%20point%209m m&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

Well, thank you for today's sign of the Apocalypse...

1slow
06-07-2014, 12:47 AM

On the back of a goat !

LSP972
06-07-2014, 06:52 AM

A C9 with the orange stocks came though the lab the other day. Didn't have that "engraving" or whatever on the slide, though.

When our local PD liason guy, who is assigned to us, finished the ATF Firearms Examiner school (which is somewhat of a big deal and hard to get into), we all chipped in and bought him an OD green JHP ( the .45 version) as a gag gift. It actually runs great with ball; he uses it as a truck gun.

I have test-fired HUNDREDS of those things over the past five years at the lab; and they generally work just fine. The junk magazines they come with is the main weak point. The S.O. I worked at after retiring has one that is used to shame no-shooting deputies; it will hold a four-inch group at 25 yards, supported from the barricade, if you do your part.

By "egregious", I was referring to nice guns. And now that I think about it some more, you're right… that was only a Glock, after all…:D

Chuck Haggard
06-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Now see, that's just mean.

TCinVA
06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
On the back of a goat !

More than likely in a Lamborghini Aventador with a gold vinyl wrap job.

LSP972
06-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Now see, that's just mean.

:cool:

SteveK
06-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Or a Las Vegas pimp.

jetfire
06-08-2014, 06:43 AM
it will hold a four-inch group at 25 yards, supported from the barricade, if you do your part.

So you're saying that it's acceptably combat accurate for minute of badguy? Is recoil brisk but manageable?

LSP972
06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
So you're saying that it's acceptably combat accurate for minute of badguy? Is recoil brisk but manageable?

I'm saying it is useful for showing a non-shooting cop who doesn't give a kitten about anything but qualifying (so he can keep his job and off-duty details) that its the Indian, not the arrow.

Don't read any more into it.

Wheeler
06-08-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm saying it is useful for showing a non-shooting cop who doesn't give a kitten about anything but qualifying (so he can keep his job and off-duty details) that its the Indian, not the arrow.

All I read into it was it was a play on what the gun writers usually write. I think it was intended as a joke, not a slam.

Chuck Haggard
06-08-2014, 03:03 PM

You know, having a fixed barrel makes some guns WAY more accurate than a guy would think possible.

My best ever 25 yard group with a pistol was shot with a Jennings J22 loaded with CCI Mini Mags, standing barricade. I had witnesses, one of which pulled a quarter from his pocket and covered said group as we looked at each other open mouthed in disbelief.

LSP972
06-08-2014, 04:31 PM
All I read into it was it was a play on what the gun writers usually write. I think it was intended as a joke, not a slam.

Well, if so, he has my apology for thinking otherwise…;)

LSP972
06-08-2014, 04:40 PM
My best ever 25 yard group with a pistol was shot with a Jennings J22 loaded with CCI Mini Mags, standing barricade. I had witnesses, one of which pulled a quarter from his pocket and covered said group as we looked at each other open mouthed in disbelief.

Working at a crime has exposed me to a whole different world of "cheap" guns. I knew they were out there (seized my fair share when I was on the road) but paid no attention to them… until I ran across that afore-metioned Hi-Point C9 at the S.O. That clunky POS definitely got my attention. Then the crime lab job came around, and man… what an eye-opener.

Some of the Davis/Jennings/Lorcin genre of blowback pistols are actually not bad, design-wise. Where they usually suffer is from shoddy materials and fabrication. Mind you, I don't own any nor do I plan to… but they have killed a bunch of folks.

Like Clint Smith says about the M1 carbine… "Thousands of dead Germans and Japs can't be ALL wrong!"

jetfire
06-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Well, if so, he has my apology for thinking otherwise…;)

No worries, sometimes jokes don't translate well in text format. Whenever I see "do your part" it's like call and response in church.

Tamara
06-08-2014, 05:17 PM
No worries, sometimes jokes don't translate well in text format. Whenever I see "do your part" it's like call and response in church.

In the interest of injecting new cliches into the field, I have the phrase "was stupid easy to shoot well" sitting on an editor's desk right now. We'll see if it flies... :D

jetfire
06-08-2014, 05:25 PM
In the interest of injecting new cliches into the field, I have the phrase "was stupid easy to shoot well" sitting on an editor's desk right now. We'll see if it flies... :D

I've been trying to get "NYPD accurate" going. So far it's not been published in any outlets I don't own. ;-)

TCinVA
06-08-2014, 05:59 PM
You know, having a fixed barrel makes some guns WAY more accurate than a guy would think possible.

My Hi-Point is another individual data point in the crappy gun with good accuracy front...it's surprisingly accurate with 124 grain +P ammo.

feudist
06-08-2014, 06:00 PM
There's always "I wouldn't want to get shot with it..."

blake_g
06-18-2014, 08:55 AM
There's always "I wouldn't want to get shot with it..."

Or the corollary of that "Sure it's a mouse-gun, but none of the tough guys have volunteered to catch a couple from it..."

Tamara
06-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Wolf and Klar did all those .44's with the enclosed ejector housing...

Yes. Yes they did (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2009/03/sunday-smith-45-44-hand-ejector-3rd.html). :cool:

Malamute
06-19-2014, 08:46 PM
^^^ I didn't realize the 3rd's were that rare. I owned one for a while. It had family history with the former owner, it had been used for LE work in its distant past. Someone in the family had it reblued, they were put off by the purplish color of the cylinder and sold it. I had a poor spell and walked towards the gun show door.... Ran into a guy I knew. "Whatcha got there?" He bought it from me on the spot. I asked him about it a couple times, he's extremely happy with it and says it shoots very well. He doesn't want to sell it back either for some reason.

The insides were perfect, the outside looked like it had been carried before the refinish. I've since learned I know someone that could blue the cylinder properly. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_0295.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_0290.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_0291.jpg

SeriousStudent
06-19-2014, 10:44 PM
That T-Grip just strikes me as a perfect match for that pistol.

LHS
06-20-2014, 12:00 AM
Yes. Yes they did (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2009/03/sunday-smith-45-44-hand-ejector-3rd.html). :cool:

I am positively green with envy. That's awesome.

Malamute
06-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I have a new picture of Nyetis blue 27 with its new grips.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/Darrylsblue27wnewgrips_zps155fb350.jpg

Image brought to you by Frontier Outpost Tech Services. :)

SeriousStudent
06-26-2014, 11:31 PM
That's beautiful!

Mike Pipes
06-27-2014, 06:11 AM
SWEET:;)

Chuck Whitlock
06-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I have a new picture of Nyetis blue 27 with its new grips.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/Darrylsblue27wnewgrips_zps155fb350.jpg

Image brought to you by Frontier Outpost Tech Services. :)

That's sweet.....nothing insane at all about that.

Thread drift >>>>> Maybe it's me, but I find something........comfortably amusing(?).....that the guy who moved from SoCal to the DFW metroplex sends his photos to the guy who lives in a rustic cabin in Montana to post on the net! :cool:

Dagga Boy
06-27-2014, 04:23 PM
I pride myself on my computer illiteracy. Just because my idea of roughing it is a less than four star hotel doesn't mean the damn Mac thing on my desk makes any sense.

Just waiting for a couple of Barranti Hank Sloan holsters and my model 27 world will be awesome. If you ever see me OC'ing, a 3.5" N frame in custom leather will be my rig of choice.

Lester Polfus
06-28-2014, 12:35 AM
Or the corollary of that "Sure it's a mouse-gun, but none of the tough guys have volunteered to catch a couple from it..."

Thread drift:

This is making me either want to 1) write a fake gun magazine review, using every cliche EVER or 2) make a gun review bingo card.

But I'm too tired, so I'll just leave this here.

Back on topic:

This thread, and the other one on big bore outdoor revolvers, are making me want a nice .44 revolver. The practical side of me says it should be a Redhawk, but maybe I'll give a little and get one that's blued...

Lester Polfus
06-28-2014, 01:48 AM
Oh and my least favorite gun rag cliche is saying "social work" when you mean "shooting people."

Dagga Boy
07-01-2014, 04:05 PM
SO.........Continuing with this little trend, and because I LOVE when Tam types "I hate you".

:cool: I just bought Registered Magnum #40...........:cool:

SteveK
07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Description.......

Dagga Boy
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
3.5" Nickel with the King front sight.

Mike Pipes
07-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Can you get the guy in the cabin in the mountains to send pictures please!

SeriousStudent
07-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Can you get the guy in the cabin in the mountains to send pictures please!

Agreed. Get them sled dogs running through the mountain passes.

Rich
07-06-2014, 11:27 AM
OMG that's nice!

Ive been thing of going back . My best groups come from a S&W M&P and 686-4inch

Malamute
07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
And here it is, Nyetis Registered Magnum

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/Nyetisregisteredmagnum_zps5c7b8970.jpg

Very cool.

Nice period Pachmayrs.

Dagga Boy
07-13-2014, 02:46 PM
The Pachmayrs are coming off first when it arrives, but I will be keeping them as the gun was actually tuned by Pachmayr back in the days when it was a gunsmithing operation.

Still nothing from Tam...........:confused: I am a little hurt. Not even one "I hate you":(.

Rich
07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Is this a new S&W model? I glanced the website and had no luck. I would love a non ported version. BTW what's the cost

Malamute
07-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Is this a new S&W model? I glanced the website and had no luck. I would love a non ported version. BTW what's the cost

I believe its from the 1930's. I dont know the cost, but a semi-educated guess, substantially more than a new gun. I would guess that it cost more than the used Honda car I bought the ex.

Dagga Boy
07-17-2014, 12:47 PM

It was new in 1935 and cost $60. Now, generally considered the grail of all Smith & Wesson collectors and I have bought many cars for less than what the gun cost me. Google "Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum" and enjoy the ride.

If you were talking about the guns in the original post,,,,,,those were Performance Center guns of very limited runs. The 7 Shot Performance Center 681's are guns Smith should have done as regular production pieces. All of the ones I got were north of a grand due to scarcity. If the Green and Black one ever returns from Smith (it was a very sick fellow), it will end up being a carry gun. The 4" was shot a little and put away as it is a 1 of only 50 made.

LSP972
07-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Still nothing from Tam...........:confused: I am a little hurt. Not even one "I hate you":(.

She's all about blue steel and wood; you're showing a Pimp Special, with Goodyears, no less. Methinks she's holding back on the snark out of politeness...;)

Jeep
07-18-2014, 08:05 AM
The Pachmayrs are coming off first when it arrives, but I will be keeping them as the gun was actually tuned by Pachmayr back in the days when it was a gunsmithing operation.

What stocks are you going to put on that? Something to go with the nickel? (And by the way, it is a gorgeous gun, even for those of us who don't truly love nickel; it is also probably not a bad investment).

Dagga Boy
07-18-2014, 08:12 AM
The original service type stocks. One of the guys at the Smith forum may have a set of Keith Brown service grips that would be great. The original woods would run in the $750 range. The guys at the Smith forum are really helpful and seem pretty excited. I mean they did make ten 3.5" nickel Registered magnums, so Tam is probably underwhelmed by it being a run of the mill gun.

LSP972
07-18-2014, 09:41 AM
I mean they did make ten 3.5" nickel Registered magnums.

I was wondering about that (how many nickeled RMs were produced). Only ten snubbies, eh?

Dagga Boy
07-18-2014, 07:19 PM
I was wondering about that (how many nickeled RMs were produced). Only ten snubbies, eh?

I believe it was 114 total from what I got from the guys on the Smith forum (they have some really good SME's over there on this kind of stuff). Back in those days the 4-6' guns were more popular than the 3.5" guns. For me the proportion and handling of the 3.5" S&W Magnum is about perfect. If I could ever build my dream gun it would be a 3.5" Model 27 converted to .45 Colt. If I ever find a beater HD/Outdoorsman, a 3.5 inch .45 Colt done by Hamilton Bowen and blued by Turnbull would make me wonderously happy.

Malamute
07-19-2014, 12:26 AM
You could probably start a fan club if you owned a gun of that description.

I foolishly passed on a 1950 45 barrel a few years ago. It would have made up into a dandy shorter carry gun in 45 Colt.

LSP972
07-19-2014, 10:11 AM
If I could ever build my dream gun it would be a 3.5" Model 27 converted to .45 Colt.

I seem to recall seeing that mod work done to a M-28, on the S&W Forum. IIRC, the owner also has a by-God real Fitz Special, too.

LHS
07-27-2014, 03:25 AM
And here it is, Nyetis Registered Magnum

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/Nyetisregisteredmagnum_zps5c7b8970.jpg

Very cool.

Nice period Pachmayrs.

That thing needs ivory stocks, stat!

Mike Pipes
08-01-2014, 03:07 PM
DB,just picked up S&W 28-2 highway patrolman.Serial # dates it to 1978 and it belonged to the Parish Sheriff from that time.Allegedly it was used to punch (that is nipping a bad guy in the temple with the tip of the barrel ) a few times.You would know more about that than me or it could be a La.thang.........................cya mike....................REVOLVER SUMMIT,YES SIR

LSP972
08-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Mike, also look for ear wax in the muzzle/front sight area…;)

Mike Pipes
08-01-2014, 06:23 PM
I was a wonderin what that was!.......cya retro

LHS
08-10-2014, 11:04 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/10613061_536675883102442_7593393864411925718_n.jpg

SeriousStudent
08-10-2014, 11:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/10613061_536675883102442_7593393864411925718_n.jpg

So.... how much did that one set you back? Or are you doing the lay-away thing?

LHS
08-11-2014, 01:28 AM
So.... how much did that one set you back? Or are you doing the lay-away thing?

It's a good thing it's in Ft. Knox, eh?

Chuck Haggard
08-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Obviously the good General didn't worry about BS like holster wear.

Jeep
08-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Patton called that revolver his "German killing machine," though much to his frustration he never got to use it on an actual German--even though he often found himself in front of the front lines.

Dagga Boy
08-11-2014, 09:15 AM
I finally got mine in my hands. The research will get started with both S&W and the Collector Assoc. It was Re-Nickeled or Nickeled at some point and is marked. The question is by who. Got a bit of a surprise under those big Pachmayers. The original owner had it round-butted. Now the "investment side of me cringed when I put a set of Magna's on it and saw what had been done. The practical side of me thought "wow, this guy probably did one of the first square to round conversions ever". I am hoping it is to a pre-war K frame size, but either way it is going to get some custom Roper style grips. I had one of my 25-5 4" .45 Colts round butted and used it for a court, plainclothes gun. Under a jacket or cover garment it helps, so I totally "get it". The backstrap was beautifully hand checkered as well, and you almost can't tell it didn't leave the factory this way. It needs an adjustment screw for the rear sight, but otherwise is a great piece of both cop, LAPD, and Smith & Wesson history.

I also left the shop with a 1940's 2" M&P square butt. It screamed that sort of Dragnet, NYPD, cool snub.......and I listened. That will probably get some Stag's or some imitation Ivory and either a Brill holster or maybe a Berns & Martin.

And.............another 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk. I have a Parkerized one that Hans Vang custom built long before Ruger did this barrel length. The new one is a factory stainless that has been Magna Ported. The Parked one now has Camo Lamo's Hogues on it and the Stainless has the big rubber Hogues (swapped them) with a Bowen Lanyard ring. The Vang gun has always been my "heavy" .44 when up in real bear country fishing, especially on the long solo day trips with just a fishing vest and a single rod as my only gear. These guns will easily handle many of the newer "super" .44 Magnums.

Overall.......the Insanity continues. Depending on the venue at the Revolver Summit this spring, I may be able to do a display somewhere of my revolvers, as I have some amazing stuff in this regard.

LSP972
08-11-2014, 10:04 AM
I also left the shop with a 1940's 2" M&P square butt. .

I passed on a cherry 60s-vintage one of those at the fun show last week. "D" prefix, half-moon front sight, barely a turn line... but he was asking a grand, and would only come down to $900 even when I waved cash in his face. Didn't want it that bad.

But I did stumble across a very clean 3953 (at the LGS; some dude was trading it in on a Shield; talk about being in the right place at the right time), with two magazines, for under $400. That one I can use; having a holster made as we speak, and found nine like-new mags for a decent price on the S&W Forum.

I'd be careful, DB... your infection is spreading. Next you'll be prowling the bazaars, looking for long-action Heavy Dutys and Triple Locks.

LtDave
08-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I passed on a cherry 60s-vintage one of those at the fun show last week. "D" prefix, half-moon front sight, barely a turn line... but he was asking a grand, and would only come down to $900 even when I waved cash in his face. Didn't want it that bad.

But I did stumble across a very clean 3953 (at the LGS; some dude was trading it in on a Shield; talk about being in the right place at the right time), with two magazines, for under $400. That one I can use; having a holster made as we speak, and found nine like-new mags for a decent price on the S&W Forum.

I'd be careful, DB... your infection is spreading. Next you'll be prowling the bazaars, looking for long-action Heavy Dutys and Triple Locks.

Or a factory New Service Fitz Special:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=434590832

Dagga Boy
08-11-2014, 03:07 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=434590832

Thank You...........:cool:

Mike Pipes
08-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Go boy................i do want to monkey finger that one at the summit........cya retro

LSP972
08-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Dayum… what a beauty.

Dagga Boy
08-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Well I am out on the bidding......:(.

Update on Registered Magnum #40 (which Tam still has me on ignore on). I made a phone call with some questions in regard to the round butting of the grip frame. The info I got (which is part of the asking the right questions portion) was that the original gun had a 5 or 5.5" barrel and was carried as a patrol holster gun. When the offiicer went to Detectives is was taken to Frank Pachmayr and it was converted to a Round Butt, the rear of the grip hand checkered, and a factory 3.5" barrel was fit to the gun. Guys on the SMith forum indicated it was probably sent to the factory for this as the barrel is serial numbered to the gun and is diamond stamped to indicate a factory job. The info I got was Pachmayr had the factory send the barrel for the gun specifically and it was numbered to the gun. Either way, everyone involved is deceased, so I will work on some factory records to see. I also asked about the strain screw sticking out. Info I got was the gun had Service grips fitted to the new frame size, and a grip adaptor was fitted. I would think that grip adaptor would have been a Pachmayr/Mershon. I saw another very famous Registered Magnum that was the "ultimate user" gun (the one down in Mexico). That gun was used by one of the best shooters of his time and had a cutdown Mershon grip adaptor. It seems obvious that my gun had the same thing at some point. It just so happens that I have a vintage Pachmayr grip adaptor for this gun that I will have blended into the frame when the grips are eventually done. Obviously, the service grips and adaptor were eventually replaced with the small Pachmayr Presentations that I got it with.

All of this is significant to me as I have got to appreciate the kind of cop who when he goes to the Detective Division has his primary duty revolver (that was THE finest gun of its time) and takes it to one of the best gunsmiths of the time to have it modified to fit his new assignment without cutting any corners on the upgrades. Most cops would have just bought a smaller "snubby" or similar for the new assignment.....not this guy, which warms my heart. I did something similar. I had a 4" 25-5 round butted to take round butt K frame grips, bead blasted and refinished and later fit with the C&S fixed sight when they came out. I REALLY wanted the barrel cut as well, but decided I would try to find a 3" N frame barrel and have it mated to the gun, but never got around to it. I used that gun for court, plainclothes assignments and other special details and the "Hebrew Hammer" stayed in my patrol rig in my locker.

I think the balance of "loss of value" or collectibility being lost due to the modifications over the years is easily outweighed by the history, long life of hard use and daily carry, and that the work was done by one of the most famous gunsmith's of all time FAR outweighs the other stuff.

Malamute
08-12-2014, 01:59 AM
I agree with you. The interesting history is part of what gives that gun the character and class it has. That it isn't as strictly "collectible" in the 100% out the factory door condition doesn't hinder my appreciation for it. It's still a very early gun, that had a very interesting career.

SteveK
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Damn, this thread is going to require that I go out and acquire a 27. Got to hate when that happens.

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Damn, this thread is going to require that I go out and acquire a 27. Got to hate when that happens.

That is how I got my first 27-2 3.5 inch (now refered to as "the beater"). Those in my circle of friends pretty much said you had to have a 27 just because they are such a wonderful revolver. Sort of like "Every Real American" (say it as George C Scott as Patton) need a 3.5" Model 27 (or any really good N frame Smith), a Colt SAA and a Colt 1911 and know at least how to shoot them. You can have your soul-less polymer wonder import to carry around as disposable protection, but you HAVE to have those three to really call yourself a gun person. Sort of a solid indicator as truely "In the Club".

Mike Pipes
08-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Help me with the difference between mdl 28 and mdl 27 please.......................cya retro

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Help me with the difference between mdl 28 and mdl 27 please.......................cya retro

The 28 was a cheaper version. Same gun essentially, but without all the stuff that makes 27's special. The 27's have a lot of checkering (top strap is the biggie) and tend to have gorgeous blueing (especially the older ones), while the 28's often have a dull finish and none of the checkering. The 28 was essentially the working cops version of the 27 in a goal to make them affordable to L/E. I am working on getting my old Armaloy Highway Patrolman (pre 28( back from ROy Huntington as it was an amazing shooter. Sold it to him in the days when I could only afford a couple of guns and made some big mistakes to get the "newest thing out. I think the Magna port model 57 and the Highway patrolman funded a 4" and 2 3/4" 686's and a 638 that was actual a very good logical battery when it looked like I was going to be working at a .38/.357 PD. That didn't happen and my agency forbid me from taking my own revolvers through the academy, so that whole set ended up leaving as well........to fund the Hebrew Hammer, a 3" Model 13 and a model 36.

Mike Pipes
08-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks got the 28 now looking for a 27.............cya retro

LSP972
08-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Seeing that frog 3" M-19 with the shrouded ejector rod has got me wanting one of those.

Bad time to be looking for a M-27 (or any N frame, for that matter), Mike. They seem to be one of the current "grail guns".

I speak, naturally, of REAL N frames... as opposed to current production multi-piece barrel/lock examples.

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Seeing that frog 3" M-19 with the shrouded ejector rod has got me wanting one of those.

Bad time to be looking for a M-27 (or any N frame, for that matter), Mike. They seem to be one of the current "grail guns".

I speak, naturally, of REAL N frames... as opposed to current production multi-piece barrel/lock examples.

Did I mention getting a Brazilian overrun 10-10 lately with factory target round butt grips on it....same as the 3" fixed sight Model 19, but in .38 Special.......:-). Go ahead and hate, I enjoy it.

Retro Mike. You are all set. Use the 28 as a shooter and a 27 to fondle lovingly.

LSP972
08-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Did I mention getting a Brazilian overrun 10-10 lately with factory target round butt grips on it....same as the 3" fixed sight Model 19, but in .38 Special.......:-). Go ahead and hate, I enjoy it.

No, but does it have a shrouded ejector rod? If so, I hate. If not, no hate.

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
No, but does it have a shrouded ejector rod? If so, I hate. If not, no hate.

Of course it has the shrouded ejector rod.....:-)

Drink the red Haterade, it's my favorite.

LSP972
08-12-2014, 06:38 PM
I'll choose the green, thank you very much.

Nice score. Get somebody to post a pic, eh?

Hizzie
08-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Nyeti -

Did you work out a deal for that 686-6 3" unfluted cylinder?

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Nyeti -

Did you work out a deal for that 686-6 3" unfluted cylinder?

Still working on it.

TCinVA
08-21-2014, 05:05 PM
I went insane today...

...although in my defense a Model 29 in the flesh at the price I found on this was a must for anyone who doesn't already own one.

LHS
08-21-2014, 06:12 PM
SMDH.

I went insane today...

...although in my defense a Model 29 in the flesh at the price I found on this was a must for anyone who doesn't already own one.

NEPAKevin
08-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Do you feel lucky...? (http://youtu.be/8Xjr2hnOHiM) NWS, LV

My first handgun was a 6 inch 29. I think it's a dash three.