PDA

View Full Version : Convert Ruger .22 trigger for training?

peterb
06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
I had my Ruger Mk. II apart the other day, and was wondering if there would be a market for a Mk. II/III conversion kit to make the trigger longer and heavier to feel more like that of a striker-fired pistol. You'd probably need a new plunger spring, plunger, disconnector, sear, and trigger. It'd be a bit like the opposite of the popular Volquartsen kit. The biggest obstacle I see is that the trigger guard on the standard models doesn't have room for more travel, so the 22/45 family would be the only candidates unless the trigger guard was also replaced.

Thoughts?

will_1400
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Interesting concept, but why not get a .22 lr conversion kit like the Advantage Arms for the Glock and so on? Doesn't the Ruger Mk. "X" series have a different manual of arms than most service pistols?

johnvolk
06-26-2011, 09:16 PM
I often use a Ruger 22/45 (Mark II or Mark III; does not matter) for basic marksmanship training. In my opinion the Ruger 22's are simply the best utility and Bullseye target pistols in their current $300.00 - 350.00US price range. If one wishes to spend $900.00US (or more) one might buy a more competitive new Bullseye pistol.

I have am early generation, rather heavy (several ounces) red dot firearm laser with a detachable grip pressure switch fitted to a Mk. II 22/45. The laser allows me to teach that one can not hold the sight still on the target, and visually evaluate student trigger control. As soon as the student gets a reasonable competency of focusing on the always moving sight (red laser dot) and progressively pressuring the trigger until it jumps up from recoil, I take the laser away an require the use of "irons" for basic marksmanship training. I only use the laser again, if the student regresses badly relative to trigger control, using "irons".

However, I feel that these Rugers are not as well suited for initial concealed carry combat shooting training as a Glock 23 with a GOOD 22 conversion kit; or with a Walther PP or PPK type pistol or which there is at least one 22LR close PP copy being made by Bersa and imported into the US as the "Firestorm" by Jerry's Sports in PA.

I do not think that a longer pull or heavier (4.5 pound plus) combat pistol type trigger would change my opinion of the Ruger for initial combat training.