PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg question

jlw
05-04-2014, 01:53 PM
The vast majority of my shotgun training and experience has been with an 870, but I won a Mossberg 590A1 in a drawing last year. I'm planning to run it in an upcoming class.

I've noticed that if there is any rearward pressure on the forend (I know, I know) when the trigger is pulled that it binds up the action, and I have to exert a slight forward pressure before working the slide.

Is this common? Is this something that will correct itself over time with more usage? It's only had five actual rounds run through it at this point.

DiscipulusArmorum
05-04-2014, 03:12 PM
The vast majority of my shotgun training and experience has been with an 870, but I won a Mossberg 590A1 in a drawing last year. I'm planning to run it in an upcoming class.

I've noticed that if there is any rearward pressure on the forend (I know, I know) when the trigger is pulled that it binds up the action, and I have to exert a slight forward pressure before working the slide.

Is this common? Is this something that will correct itself over time with more usage? It's only had five actual rounds run through it at this point.

I've noticed this same thing on a Mossberg 500 20ga that I've cleaned and function-tested for a friend. Haven't put many rounds through it, so don't know if it goes away. It had me a bit concerned about my friend keeping it "cruiser ready" and the possibility of a delay getting the gun into action.

revchuck
05-04-2014, 03:24 PM
I've got a 590A1 too. I've shot it in practice, in a class and in three gun matches, and haven't had that happen. Take it out to the range and see if it's a problem...might be one of those things that just show up in dry fire.

jlw
05-04-2014, 03:26 PM
I've got a 590A1 too. I've shot it in practice, in a class and in three gun matches, and haven't had that happen. Take it out to the range and see if it's a problem...might be one of those things that just show up in dry fire.

It happened once in the five rounds that I have actually put through it.

revchuck
05-04-2014, 03:32 PM
It happened once in the five rounds that I have actually put through it.
Doh! :eek: I'd try some more...might be an excessive operator headspace issue.

jlw
05-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Doh! :eek: I'd try some more...might be an excessive operator headspace issue.

That's a problem with all of my shootin' irons.

SpyderMan2k4
05-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Right or wrong, its a common trait in all mossbergs I've shot. Some friends made fun of me when shooting a buddy's 500 cause it wouldn't fire cause of the rearward pressure. I originally had a 1300 and now an 870, both of which are fine having rearward pressure and allowes for very fast cycling.

Chuck Haggard
05-05-2014, 07:51 AM
We have over 150 Mossberg 500s and 590s at work, they all do this. However, comma, if you are pulling back on the pump handle then "you are doing it wrong".

I can run a Mossberg as fast as a semi-auto by using the trick of pushing forward on the pump while pulling back on the grip with my gun hand, this both lowers felt recoil and makes the action fly if you run it hard during recoil.

jlw
05-05-2014, 08:08 AM
We have over 150 Mossberg 500s and 590s at work, they all do this. However, comma, if you are pulling back on the pump handle then "you are doing it wrong".

Hence the (I know, I know) in the original post. ;)

TR675
05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
...and now an 870, both of which are fine having rearward pressure and allowes for very fast cycling.

My 870 is not ok with rearward pressure, but it's a hot mess in a bunch of other respects and, anyways, that's another thread...

jlw
05-05-2014, 05:18 PM
I stopped by one of the local gun stores and handled a 590, and it did the exact same thing that mine is doing.

Unfortunately, it was a complete Magpul furniture edition with ghost rings. Now I want one. I should have picked up the plain Jane model sitting next to it.

Trukinjp13
05-05-2014, 09:46 PM
My newly purchased 870 was a raging pos. I drool everytime I play with my buddies 590a1. That thing is legit. Remington makes me sick with the new express.

SpyderMan2k4
05-05-2014, 09:50 PM
My 870 is not ok with rearward pressure, but it's a hot mess in a bunch of other respects and, anyways, that's another thread...

I should have worded it differently... it still fires with rearward pressure opposed to mossberg.

UNM1136
05-06-2014, 03:57 PM

I can run a Mossberg as fast as a semi-auto by using the trick of pushing forward on the pump while pulling back on the grip with my gun hand, this both lowers felt recoil and makes the action fly if you run it hard during recoil.

There used to be a video online of Rob Haught running his shotgun just this way. I took it upon my self to learn it, because it works for all pumps I have tried it on so far. I am not as fast as a semi-auto, but I do notice recoil reduction and it seems a very, very slick way to run. The only thing keeping me from more speed is more practice.

pat

jlw
05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
There used to be a video online of Rob Haught running his shotgun just this way. I took it upon my self to learn it, because it works for all pumps I have tried it on so far. I am not as fast as a semi-auto, but I do notice recoil reduction and it seems a very, very slick way to run. The only thing keeping me from more speed is more practice.

pat

There still is a video of Rob Haught doing that. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4

UNM1136
05-07-2014, 09:13 AM
There still is a video of Rob Haught doing that. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4

That is a way better video than the one I saw. The one I was thinking of was off the old 10-8 forums site, and showed Rob on a timer shooting five rounds, seemed as fast as fast as a semi, with minimal recoil. I can't find that video anywhere, now.

pat

LHS
05-16-2014, 05:14 PM
That is a way better video than the one I saw. The one I was thinking of was off the old 10-8 forums site, and showed Rob on a timer shooting five rounds, seemed as fast as fast as a semi, with minimal recoil. I can't find that video anywhere, now.

pat

I might have it on my PC at home. If I can't find it, I'll see if Dad still has a copy somewhere.

But long story short, this is common behavior, and one more reason to push-pull :)