PDA

View Full Version : AIWB with Raven Vanguard

Jon C
06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I found this forum while searching for people's experiences with AIWB and have found it to be a wealth of information.

I am a big fan of the Raven Vanguard for it's small size and ease of concealment. I have noticed the comments on here of the dangers of AIWB with the Glock for the careless/untrained shooter, and it would seem that with the Vanguard clipped on prior to stuffing the gun back in your pants it would mitigate this risk pretty well (I am also intrigued by "the gadget").

Anyone else running this "holster" setup, and what pros/cons have you noticed? I am a proponent of not shooting my dick off but am also a fan of AIWB. I searched for any mention of the Vanguard but came up empty on this forum.

Frank B
06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
A close friend and coworker runs his G19 in a Raven Vanguard at about 3 oīclock and likes it much. It conceals very well, especially in the summertime with only a tshirt or polo shirt as concealment. BTW, itīs not AIWB so I canīt say much. I for my part prefer a ordinary holster to carry in either place.

SLG
06-26-2011, 08:06 AM
I have no experience with the Vanguard. It has always appealed to me for it's simplicity, but I have never come up with a use for it that a regular holster wouldn't do better. Needing two hands to reholster is a no go for me, either in practice or for real.

Bill Lance
06-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Needing two hands to reholster is a no go for me, either in practice or for real.

A Big Amen to that, Sir!!!!

DonovanM
06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
The only feasible use I can see for one of these things is with a nightstand gun in a drawer, with the little lanyard hooked on a staple or something, and that's only if they were light compatible, which the Raven isn't.

I would never carry one in my pants due to the 2 handed reholstering issue, it would be uncomfortable, not as fast because the gun would be at a different angle every time I went to draw it, and would be much less secure. I consider myself pretty open to new ideas but this one is unwise IMO.

Lon
06-26-2011, 03:54 PM
The only feasible use I can see for one of these things is with a nightstand gun in a drawer, with the little lanyard hooked on a staple or something, and that's only if they were light compatible, which the Raven isn't.

I thought much the same thing. Has a place, but not as a replacement for a belt holster of some sort. Purses, center consoles, glove box, night stand, etc. But not on my person.

CCK
06-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I use a Dale Fricke "Zach" holster on my 26 with a clipdraw. I carry it in a AIWB style with the Zach tied off to the belt buckle. I find it very useful when going into NPEs.

I'm not going to elaborate where that might be.

Chris

TSean
06-26-2011, 10:45 PM

I just wanted to point out that Raven will make a Vanguard that is light compatible (I've got one for a G17/X300), and that it is excellent for the "nightstand role", provided of course you have a good anchor setup and that it is the level of security you want for your gun in that role.

As far as using one for AIWB or any IWB, I tried it (no light version) but found that I much preferred the consistency and positioning found with a complete holster. YMMV.