PDA

View Full Version : Moonclips and Carry/Defensive Revolvers

warpedcamshaft
05-01-2014, 03:30 PM
A few questions regarding moonclips and carry/defensive revolvers.

I have been shooting revolvers for years, and have yet to have one cut for moonclips... I am toying with the idea, but I could see a bent moonclip being a very bad thing in certain situations.

1: Should moonclips be used to reload a carry/defensive revolver? (If not, should the first cylinder full be "moonclipped" for extraction, and then subsequent reloads be provided with speedloaders?)

2: How subject to bending are moonclips? (Physical altercations, car accidents, falls, etc)

3: Is ammunition stored in a bent moonclip essentially irrecoverable without the use of a tool?

revchuck
05-01-2014, 04:05 PM
If you're considering having a revolver cut for moonclips, I'd advise against it. The six shot moons for .45 ACP revolvers are relatively sturdy, and can survive life in a jacket pocket pretty well. I haven't tried other calibers, but have read that moons for .38/.357 caliber guns are relatively fragile and picky as to the brass they'll accept.

I've got a S&W M22-4 and I like it, but I rarely carry it due to my preferred Hawaiian shirt cover garment - no pockets for spare ammo. I haven't found a moon clip carrier that works like a Split-Six speedloader carrier; all the ones I've seen (and own) have the whole moon out in front of the belt. Fine for the range, funky for carry. If I carry the spare moons in a pocket, then they're not in the same place I carry my speedloaders...don't need that confusion.

If you're carrying a revolver chambered for rimmed cartridges, I'd stick with speedloaders and/or speed strips.

Tamara
05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
^^^That right there.

I used to be a huge moon clip dork. As a matter of fact, it was a 5" 625-2 that got me into S&W wheelguns in the first place. That being said...

This post made me realize that I've come 180° on moon clips for a day-to-day carry gun. There are just no really good options I've found for carrying one at belt level without risking bending the thing bumping into stuff during the day, and the polymer Rimz clips (do they still make those?) don't grip the rounds tight enough to roll loose in a pocket. I'm willing to be sold otherwise, but I'm pretty much back to the clunky-but-reliable HKS-pattern speedloaders or Speed Strips for carrying wheelgun refills these days.

Perhaps something similar to the above-mentioned Split-Six, only out of fairly heavy kydex, would work, but most quality kydex makers I know would probably ask if you'd like them to make something for your flints and paper cartridges while they were at it. :D (I kid, I kid; Dark Star Gear does a swell J-frame tuckable, so he's obviously not allergic to wheelguns or anything.)

GJM
05-01-2014, 05:42 PM
In my deep revolver stage, I tried to carry a 610 10mm for a while. Moon clips are a pain for real world use.

Wheeler
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I concur with the others. I had a model 625 Mountain Gun that I carried for awhile and briefly a 22-4. I'll stick with speedloaders and speed strips. I've never had a Safariland Comp 1 or 2 break, bend, or lose ammo in 15 years of carrying a revolver. YMMV.

SouthNarc
05-01-2014, 07:02 PM
I love the SL Variant speed loader.

Hizzie
05-01-2014, 08:54 PM
I carried a S&W 681PC on duty for years. Moon clip in cylinder for easy extraction and administrative loading/unloading at the jail. Backed up by 3 SL Variant speedloaders with extended competition handles on my belt. As much as I like my G19 I'm leaning back to wheelguns. Picked up a pair of Ruger Wiley Clapp 357's.

Moon clips can be bent with mishandling.

They are useless afterward. Too bent and they tie up the cylinder when you try to shoot. They are in there pretty good. The tool is a must.

1slow
05-01-2014, 11:26 PM
YES !
I bought 10.

I love the SL Variant speed loader.

SAWBONES
05-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Thought I'd try the moonclip approach several years ago, and had Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs modify one of my Ruger SP101s for moonclips. Got Matt Del Fatti's ingenious moonclip carrier too.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't. The moonclips bend all too easily, and the mods offer nothing of any real value for me.
We live and learn.

WOLFIE
05-04-2014, 03:13 PM
I really like the sturdy aluminum 8 shot .357 / 38 speedloader for the S&W 8 shot guns. I cannot remember the company name. Anyone here know the name of the company?

jetfire
05-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I've bent so many moonclips over the years. I love them for fast reloads, but I wouldn't rely on them for EDC.

SGT_Calle
05-05-2014, 08:07 AM
I really like the sturdy aluminum 8 shot .357 / 38 speedloader for the S&W 8 shot guns. I cannot remember the company name. Anyone here know the name of the company?

5 Star maybe?
http://www.5starfirearms.com/Speed-Loaders/departments/1/

SAWBONES
05-05-2014, 08:20 AM
I've bent so many moonclips over the years. I love them for fast reloads, but I wouldn't rely on them for EDC.

That's the trouble; once they're bent, they no longer permit those fast reloads you anticipated when you got your revolver outfitted for moonclips. :(

Chuck Haggard
05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Second the vote for the SL Variants, I also like the Jetloaders

jetfire
05-05-2014, 09:29 AM
That's the trouble; once they're bent, they no longer permit those fast reloads you anticipated when you got your revolver outfitted for moonclips. :(

That's why I drop check all my clips before I use them in a match.

Chuck Whitlock
05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Second the vote for the SL Variants, I also like the Jetloaders

I much prefer SL loaders to the HKS.

Wheeler
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
I much prefer SL loaders to the HKS.

As jlw has said to me on several occasions; "HKS doesn't make speedloaders, they make ammo management devices." Or words to that effect.

I have enough Safariland Comp 2's to shoot a good sized match without ever handling loose ammo. To say I'm invested I. Them is an understatement. :-)

WOLFIE
05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
5 Star maybe?
http://www.5starfirearms.com/Speed-Loaders/departments/1/

That is it. Thank you.