PDA

View Full Version : Holy Hell

WDW
06-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Running 3 miles this morning after not running for 4 months was both a good and bad idea.

Kyle Reese
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I prefer a ruck to a run.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

seabiscuit
06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Keep at it, and a 5K will become a short run. I like to be ready to bust out 10 miles at a moment's notice.

However, I don't recommend suddenly adding eleven miles to your longest run ever. That was not fun.

TGS
06-25-2011, 02:55 PM
When I used to workout, I found fartleks way more tolerable(and beneficial) than just running. That shit is boring.....

WDW
06-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Keep at it, and a 5K will become a short run. I like to be ready to bust out 10 miles at a moment's notice.

However, I don't recommend suddenly adding eleven miles to your longest run ever. That was not fun.
That's what's bad. In 2008 I ran a 1/2 marathon in 1:47. Not the greatest time ever, but I thought it was decent. I just quit running all together and just focused on lifting, which was a horrible, stupid idea.

John Ralston
06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I prefer a ruck to a run.

How much weight are you using, how fast a pace and how far are you going? Seems like it would really pound your body.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Rverdi
06-26-2011, 02:04 PM
How much weight are you using, how fast a pace and how far are you going? Seems like it would really pound your body.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I "think" he might be talking about Rugby.

Kyle Reese
06-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I "think" he might be talking about Rugby.

Nope- rucksack. :) 60 pounds or so. Going early tomorrow AM for a 10 miler. Doing it for general conditioning, and will be wearing good shoes / etc.

Chris Rhines
06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
When I used to workout, I found fartleks way more tolerable(and beneficial) than just running. That shit is boring..... Just Wiki'd fartlek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek). Looks like fun.

-C

TGS
06-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Just Wiki'd fartlek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek). Looks like fun.

-C

That's pretty funny, they mention where I learned to "love" fartleks. When I went through USMC OCS I think we just called it Da Nang hill, though. I didn't know it was as varied as that article described. I've always done it as running intervals from 1/4-3/4 of a mile then doing some sort of exercise.

I found Crossfit way better than running too. There's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes with Fight Gone Bad. That's all out the window though.....even with lidocaine patches and TENS units(my newest EDC item!) all I can do is speedwalk now.

Rverdi
06-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Nope- rucksack. :) 60 pounds or so. Going early tomorrow AM for a 10 miler. Doing it for general conditioning, and will be wearing good shoes / etc.

I think a rugby ruck might be less dangerous :)

John Ralston
06-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Ouch!

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 06:44 AM
After the Corps, getting shot, and two bone grafts, I swim and bike. Running is painful.

JV_
06-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Ouch!You might say that if you haven't seen GermanS before, it's only 20% of his body weight (guesstimate).

MD7305
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I ran my way through college on a cross-country scholarship and when I graduated life took over ending my running career. :p I recently have returned to running. I WAS a fairly good runner and I would classify myself as average when I ran in college. I could consistently run a 4:40 mile and my 8k race pace was about 5:15ish depending on me. When I go for a run now my mind wants to hit that programmed race pace but my body is no longer in that condition. Think Corvette ECU in a Malibu. I've found in my running experience that less is more starting out. That applies to a new runner, a returning running vet, or even a runner returning from a seasonal absence. I've been going on shorter runs (3-5 miles) and focusing on my form and trying to get a consistent pace. I will usually incorporate a short run (5K>), a moderate run (5-10K) with hills, and a day of good intervals, like a fartlek. A longer run (10K+) is something I try to get in about every other week. My schedule sucks for running so I have to make do with only a few days. Throw in some mountain biking and a some infrequent kettelbells exercises and you have my fintess routine. I really need to sit down and create some sort of workout schedule. I think that would help out and produce more noticeable results. I'm not running anymore for competition but more for fitness. When friends ask me about getting into running and ask my advice I always say start easy and work your way up because, just like weight lifting, trying to do too much too soon with poor technique leads to injury. I'm just getting started back and it's hell but nothing good ever came easy. Good on all you guys for running.

WDW
07-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I quit drinking all together as of Sunday and I've been pumping out 3 miles every morning M-F and lifting in the afternoons. I was just looking at my fitness goals and what I want to get back to, and alcohol just didn't fit in anywhere.

orionz06
07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
alcohol just didn't fit in anywhere.

Keep looking then!