PDA

View Full Version : 3.5" model 10?

NEPAKevin
04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Saw an older, nickel plated M&P model 10 with a 3 1/2 inch pencil barrel on the shelf of a local shop. Anyone know if S&W made such or thing or is it more likely that someone had it shortened?

Wheeler
04-23-2014, 09:51 PM
That's a new one on me although Headhunter or Tam could set me straight quickly. Did you get a good look at the front sight and muzzle? That would be a good couple of indicators, if they didn't appear stock.

LSP972
04-24-2014, 05:27 AM
If the ejector lug on the barrel was, like, right behind the muzzle, somebody probably cut off a 4" gun.

According to The Bible, there were many factory variations of 3" barrel… but none that I see with a 3.5" barrel.

Still, S&W made a bunch of oddball stuff over the years; enough to drive collectors to distraction and make it tricky to say "always" or "never".

rsa-otc
04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
While I would need to see a pic to be sure, since it is a pencil barrel my money is on factory. Or it's a 3 or 4 inch mislabeled.

okie john
05-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Anything is possible with Smith, but a 3.5" K-frame would be truly odd, even for them.

It could be labelled wrong. Revolver barrels are measured from the cylinder face, but sometimes people measure from the front of the frame and think the barrel is shorter than it actually is.

Okie John

rathos
05-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Not only looking at the ejector lug but check the factory markings on the barrel. I have noticed most of these that are cut down usually cut into those markings.

If the ejector lug on the barrel was, like, right behind the muzzle, somebody probably cut off a 4" gun.

According to The Bible, there were many factory variations of 3" barrel… but none that I see with a 3.5" barrel.

Still, S&W made a bunch of oddball stuff over the years; enough to drive collectors to distraction and make it tricky to say "always" or "never".