PDA

View Full Version : New Apex Tactical Forward Sear & Trigger Kit for the M&P handgun

virginiatactical
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
As some of you might know Apex Tactical just released a new trigger kit for the M&P line of pistols. I was one of the individuals that pre-ordered this as soon as it came available to pre-order.

I came home today and the kit was in my mailbox. It didn't take me long to put it together, and I was off to my dry fire happiness. I am extremely satisfied with this product. I had a chance to dry fire this trigger from one of the testers about a month ago, and I wanted to give it a fair try so I decided to pre-order the kit. The price is a bit high at $159, but the results so far have been excellent. I really want to walk to the nra range (I live just .3 miles from the range and its visible from my apartment complex) and do some shooting, but the long lines really turn me off there. I will be there in the morning though when there are no lines. I plan to be there at opening 8:30 AM. I will post my range results on this thread as well. So far the trigger is quite the wet dream, and I really look forward to seeing how the range results end up. I will post my feedback tomorrow.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9782/mpwithtrigger.jpg

WDW
06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Could we get some specs such as
weight

overtravel

takeup

reset

crispness

is trigger serrated or smooth

longer or shorter than stock

virginiatactical
06-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Could we get some specs such as
weight

overtravel

takeup

reset

crispness

is trigger serrated or smooth

longer or shorter than stock

Weight: I do not have a trigger gauge, so I am not sure on weight. The directions said that combining the following kits with this trigger will yield the following results:

Factory Trigger Spring and Sear Spring = 3.0 lbs

Competition Spring Kit = 2lbs or less

Springs included in the kit = 4.75-5.0 lbs

Overtravel The takeup seems to be reduced by around 50%. The new trigger stops at around 1/16 of an inch, the stock trigger stops at 2/16 of an inch. (these are approximate numbers taken with a ruler)

Takeup The takeup has been significantly reduced. I have a couple identical 9Ls, and by looking at the two the takeup has been reduced by around 75%. (I measured the takeup from a stock 9L vs the takeup on the new trigger enhanced 9L and plugged in the numbers to get that %)

Reset I still have my Apex Ram in the gun. The reset seems to be just as short as before, but with my ram i get a bit more tactile feedback. I did try it without the ram 1st, and I could not feel the reset. The RAM is a good asset in combination with this kit.

Crispness On dry fire the crispness seems to be great. I know its hard to believe but the crispness on this trigger seems to be on par with my former caspian 1911.

Serrated or Smooth? It is smooth. The trigger is also no longer hinged. Its more like a Glock trigger. The trigger safety is in middle of the trigger and is also spring loaded. Its quite the nice touch.

Longer or shorter then stock Hmm this is actually a hard question to answer. The trigger is just as long as stock when it is actuated to its breaking point. When it is at rest it is longer then stock. If you look at my picture above and take your M&P and compare side by side it might be much easier to see. The stock one looks like a 1/2 moon, but the new one is more like a 2/3 moon.

Hope this clarifies somethings. Will be able to give more feedback after tomorrow.

Kyle Reese
06-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Looks promising!

WDW
06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
On the APEX site, it says this kit is for competition only:( What's that about?

virginiatactical
06-23-2011, 08:41 PM
On the APEX site, it says this kit is for competition only:( What's that about?

Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit Information UPDATE
Greetings all,

I wanted to post updated information regarding our FSS kit on a new thread so that it didn't get lost in the myriad of entries on the other related threads.

By now, some of you should have received your kits in the mail and are looking at the letter included with the kit and/or are looking at the fuzzy video on youtube.

We are attempting to get the Hi Def version of the video to process. Scott, our internet wizard was having issues with his laptop that hampered our ability to get the video uploaded in a timely manner.

The kit as it is delivered includes a newly designed sear spring (specifically for the .125" sear spring plunger fitted sear housing blocks found on current production guns, Pro models and MA compliant pistols), our Duty/Carry trigger return spring, the forward set sear, new geometry striker block safety plunger and spring, longer aluminum slave pin and a plastic Talon Tactical striker block plunger spring cover plate retaining tool. We have also included a lighter weight RAM spring in the kit for those who have our RAM pre-installed in their pistols.

If you use all the springs provided in the kit, your pull weight should be right around 4.75-5 lb. The new sear spring was necessary to bump the pull weight up into the 5 lb range. While our website says the kit is for competition use only, we opted to add the new sear spring because so many people requested a carry worthy version.

The sear has much greater leverage, so if you want a lighter pull, simply mix and match sear springs, striker springs and trigger return springs. For example installing the sear, trigger and striker block assembly in a Pro series pistol and using the stock springs should provide a DROP IN pull weight of 3.25 lbs. By using the trigger return spring provided in the kit, you should find that the pull weight is in the 3.75-4 lb range. For those running a thumb safety this may be more to your liking.

-Randy

Here is thread from Randy addressing your question. I highlighted the sentence addressing your specific question.

orionz06
06-23-2011, 08:50 PM
The one I handled was amazing. I would like to get some live fire through one at some point.

DonovanM
06-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Well it looks like an M&P is my next pistol purchase, however far in the future that may be.

If they can get a special edition run by S&W and thus approved for Production, that would be the best trigger in the game.

ToddG
06-23-2011, 11:07 PM
So it reduces the trigger pull weight, reduces the distance the trigger has to move to engage the sear, and reduces the distance the trigger has to move to break the sear? Umm... I think I know why they want to call it competition only. :cool:

I will say that an M&P with an Apex RAM is a great set-up, though, and I've not handled a gun with this new configuration.

virginiatactical
06-24-2011, 07:14 PM
This morning, I had a chance to fire a few rounds through the M&P with the new trigger (about 200 rounds). The trigger was extremely crisp. I am going to have to retrain myself on the pressout, since I am used to taking up the pre-travel as I press out to the threat. There is little to no pre-travel, and I can see myself having an ND on the press out until I get that right with rigorous dry fire. The trigger itself is a dream come true for most M&P owners. I shot it with the "competition kit" which equals to a 2 lbs trigger, but that is super light for carry. I also shot it with the trigger kit springs which yield around 5 lbs of trigger pull. I am more comfortable with the 5lbs pull, and that is what I am going to stick to for now. Overall I would say this is a pretty good set up with the RAM and a huge improvement on the old hinged trigger. I also ran the timer while shooting, and my splits were about .02-.01 faster at 7 yards then with the old trigger (shooting the box in the QIT). My group is also a little tighter up close when shooting 3-5 shot strings with .19-.22 splits. Overall I am glad I spent the money, and the only non positive thing is going to be the dry firing I am going to have to do with it before I carry it or instruct with it.

I can see why Apex does not recommend the trigger kit for carry unless you are using the full kit. I would also not recommend a 2lbs (or less) trigger on a striker fire handgun ... appendix carry. The boys are just in too much danger with that recipe. I would also recommend you get used to this trigger before using it. Its very different from the stock trigger. I was never a 1911 shooter, so for me this type of trigger is fairly new to me. Just my 2 cents though.

Be Safe!