PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used HK p30

imp1295
04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on what issues to look for in a used P30?

I realize the normal characteristics of burrs, whether or not it's been used or dropped excessively etc. Beyond knowing that Todd ran the snot out of one and Darryl is a big fan I am just wondering if there is anything special to keep an eye out for?

Thanks ahead of time

gtmtnbiker98
04-21-2014, 07:38 PM
There isn't any known issues regarding the P30.

GJM
04-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Besides the normal stuff like round count, I would want to know:

1) Does it have stock sights, and if not who installed them, as folks have dinged up slides trying to use a sight pusher on certain types of sights on the P30.

2) Has it had any trigger work -- stock or Gray Guns good, Bill Springfield bad.

3) What springs (TLG, light LEM, etc.) and who put them in.

4) TRS installed by JodyH, good and fast!

Plan on a new trigger return spring if you plan to carry it and it has any significant round count.

JV_
04-21-2014, 07:55 PM

If you're concerned with who installed the springs then you should also be concerned with whether it's ever been detail stripped.

TheTrevor
04-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Annoying but addressable with some ingenuity: on many P30's the right-side slide release lever rattles. If you get one that doesn't rattle, that's great and a definite plus for the gun. If it rattles, no big deal -- a bit of appropriately sized heatshrink tubing and a heat source will take care of that.

To expand a bit on what GJM said -- if it still has the stock trigger return spring, you're probably going to want to have a spare on hand to replace it. If the TRS is owner-installed, you're almost certainly going to want to proactively replace it, as it's not uncommon for the unskilled to scratch/nick the TRS during install and dramatically shorten its life.

If the owner has replaced any of the springs (e.g. converted a light LEM to a TGS LEM) then ask if they have the original springs, and to please include them with the gun. At some point you may want to swap one or more of the OEM springs back in to tune the gun to your liking. I went back to a heavy FBPS to get tactile feedback while prepping the trigger on my otherwise TGS-spec LEM gun, for example.

Also ask if they've removed any of the four roll pins (extractor, firing pin, mag release, backstrap) and if so, whether they've put in fresh ones. If they have put in fresh ones, ask them to include some spares as perfectly good non-HK roll pins frequently come in 25-packs. I buy mine from mcmaster.com by the 25-pack, but do reuse installed roll pins at least once each unless I can't remember the last time I replaced it with a new one.

A rough estimate as to how many rounds have gone through the gun is nice, as that will help you anticipate the 20-25K mark for replacing the recoil spring assembly.

GJM
04-21-2014, 08:11 PM
If you're concerned with who installed the springs then you should also be concerned with whether it's ever been detail stripped.

My concern would be if the installer tried to improve the trigger by modifying springs. I was on the receiving end of that and it led to failures to fire, and ultimately a trip back to HK.

CCT125US
04-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Besides the normal stuff like round count, I would want to know:

1) Does it have stock sights, and if not who installed them, as folks have dinged up slides trying to use a sight pusher on certain types of sights on the P30.

2) Has it had any trigger work -- stock or Gray Guns good, Bill Springfield bad.

Plan on a new trigger return spring if you plan to carry it and it has any significant round count.

This. I want stock, craptastic luminova sights or installs done by Heinie. I prefer pics of rails so I can determine if the seller can accurately determine round counts. As well as breachface and underside of slide. After 75K rounds over multiple new and used P30 pistols I know what expected wear shows up. I'm picking up another come Wednesday actually.

gtmtnbiker98
04-21-2014, 08:15 PM
My concern would be if the installer tried to improve the trigger by modifying springs. I was on the receiving end of that and it led to failures to fire, and ultimately a trip back to HK.Didn't you have more than one?

gtmtnbiker98
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
This. I want stock, craptastic luminova sights or installs done by Heinie. I prefer pics of rails so I can determine if the seller can accurately determine round counts. As well as breachface and underside of slide. After 75K rounds over multiple new and used P30 pistols I know what expected wear shows up. I'm picking up another come Wednesday actually.Trying LEM, finally?

GJM
04-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Didn't you have more than one?

A half dozen, although initially I only got five back. Found the sixth under his sofa. You get what you pay for with HK trigger work.

gtmtnbiker98
04-21-2014, 08:22 PM
A half dozen, although initially I only got five back. Found the sixth under his sofa. You get what you pay for with HK trigger work.
Yes, I remember from a few years ago, over on Pro.

TheTrevor
04-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Would that be the HK smith who is NOT Bruce Gray who pulled that stunt? And you sent him six guns? Ouch.

I came -><- thisclose to sending him an HK to work on but my spidey-sense kept telling me that something wasn't quite right. It just seemed too inexpensive to cover good parts and proper time/care invested in the job considering what Gray Guns is charging for HK action jobs.

CCT125US
04-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Trying LEM, finally?

Blasphemy. DA/SA because the internet said it's hard.

TheTrevor
04-21-2014, 08:30 PM

I carry a v4/TGS LEM with heavy FPBS and love it for that purpose -- but I found myself wishing mightily for a TDA P30L with a light hammer spring and/or a Gray Guns action job when shooting The Test at Rogers this past week. Right tool, right job and all that.

YVK
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on what issues to look for in a used P30?

I realize the normal characteristics of burrs, whether or not it's been used or dropped excessively etc. Beyond knowing that Todd ran the snot out of one and Darryl is a big fan I am just wondering if there is anything special to keep an eye out for?

Thanks ahead of time

The area on the inside of a slide where barrel hood contacts it gets bright and shiny faster than with any other gun that I know. It is a normal wear.

I wouldn't care about springs' condition as I would replace them right off, especially trigger return spring. But, as mentioned above, I'd be sure nobody other than GGI touched internals.

Wiggle of right slide release lever is absolutely normal.

You can say how much it's been used by grip texture. Out of box the panels are mildly abrasive. Mine are baby smooth...

Minimal side to side slide play is normal, but there usually is no vertical play.

Backstraps don't always fit seamlessly, that's OK too.

gtmtnbiker98
04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
No arguments, here. I had my P226 out today just for comparison against my P30 V1, was relatively even. I ran the FAM TPC on each.

CCT125US
04-21-2014, 08:45 PM
I actually picked up a 45c LEM for S&G and it is great. I passed the iHack on the second mag and enjoy it very much.

Dagga Boy
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Pretty much covered in the thread. I have bought several used P30's with very few issues. One had the firing pin spring cut in half by a previous owner improperly installing it. I bought that from a gunshop, but it was such a smoking deal that it was fine. Most of the used P30's I have found to be very low round count and practically new. I am sure many of those are from folks who bought them, had a lousy first time out with them coming off a Glock, and they go up for sale with 50 rounds through them.

If the gun was touched by anyone other than Grayguns......I would be worried.

Failure2Stop
04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I have heard of issues with hammer follow on DA/SA P30s.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

TheTrevor
04-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I have heard of issues with hammer follow on DA/SA P30s.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Good opportunity to learn something new: i had never had reason to actually learn what "hammer follow" is before tonight, though I'd heard 1911 guys mutter darkly about it on several occasions. The phrase "full-auto 1911" was usually close behind.

Here's a great explanation, certainly the best I've found:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=2761239&postcount=22

Short version: hammer fails to stay cocked during action cycling, result ranges from annoying to Very Bad.

imp1295
04-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the discussion gents. Mr. Bolke, I look forward to getting up to Dallas from Killeen once I'm back up on my feet following ACL reconstruction.

GJM
04-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the discussion gents. Mr. Bolke, I look forward to getting up to Dallas from Killeen once I'm back up on my feet following ACL reconstruction.

Good luck with the ACL procedure. I have been traveling and not following PF closely -- you weren't the person that recently posted their Xray in another thread?

Dagga Boy
04-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Mr. Bolke is my dad. Just FYI, there will be no SWAT rolls or explosions in our classes, so once you are up and at least walking confidently, you should be good to go. We look forward to having you.

LSP972
04-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Just FYI, there will be no SWAT rolls or explosions in our classes...

But, but… say it ain't so! How can you be uber-tacticool without all that dynamic stuff????:p

imp1295
04-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Yeti, got it. Too much militarization to not be polite.

GJM, the x-Ray wasn't mine.

I get enough ninja rolls on my off time. Besides the rolling instructor zero reload isn't something I see in my future.

Re: P30, I found a V2 that I'll be able to pick up this weekend so that is a plus. Downside is ill likely only have the weekend to shoot it b/c I get cut on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Yeti, got it. Too much militarization to not be polite.

GJM, the x-Ray wasn't mine.

I get enough ninja rolls on my off time. Besides the rolling instructor zero reload isn't something I see in my future.

Re: P30, I found a V2 that I'll be able to pick up this weekend so that is a plus. Downside is ill likely only have the weekend to shoot it b/c I get cut on Monday.

Yeti is Steve Fisher.....who makes me look small. DB always works for me.

I found that the V2 is actually a good way to get used to the LEM and to dry practice with, and then simply swap the firing pin block and hammer spring for the light ones and you get a TLG LEM, which is my favorite for a daily carry gun. Use the recovery time for dry practice and hopefully well see you after the summer.

imp1295
04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
DB, (third time's the charm)
Thanks for the insight and I appreciate the advice.

This I yet another platform change for me after me P-01 crapped out on me during Givens' class two weeks ago.

The only thing I remember Mr Givens saying to me directly the entire weekend was after my 5th or 6th failure to feed was "that's about the fifth time I've seen you have a problem with that gun, you might want to think about going with something different"

LSP972
04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Tom has this uncanny ability to be standing right behind you when you goon something up- or your gun pukes.

He is one of the most observant instructors I've ever worked with or under. And he won't have any gratuitous comments; if he sees something that needs fixing, he'll tell you (and show you if necessary). If you're doing fine, he will acknowledge that too. Otherwise, you won't even know he's back there.

Oh… and once he gets to know you, and thinks you can handle it, he will hammer your ass mercilessly (within hearing of all on the line) when you do something really dumb… or noteworthy.

Don't ask me how I know that…;)

Dagga Boy
04-22-2014, 02:02 PM
As a shameless plug...We are hosting Tom for his Advanced Instructor Class on October 3-5 in Dallas. Should be a stellar class and our facility is well set up for it.

https://www.regonline.com/Register/C...ventID=1464009

hossb7
04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
There isn't any known issues regarding the P30.

Welp, time to lock/sticky this thread.

gtmtnbiker98
04-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Welp, time to lock/sticky this thread.

No doubt.

imp1295
04-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Well,
Today I brought home a P3 V2. The previous owner stated only about 300-400 rounds through the pistol and has decided to go back to Glock. Thanks for all the help and after about 200 rounds through it there will definitely be a learning curve as I adjust to the longer trigger travel and remind myself to not stage the trigger but to just keep rolling through at the trigger until it breaks.

Now, on to deciding on a holster. JM Custom is my go to, but man my SME is comfy for my M&P. Then there is TT gun leather which DB and a few others seem found of.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.