PDA

View Full Version : First time out: "Action Pistol"

SGT_Calle
04-20-2014, 06:17 PM
With the kids away at the beach with Grandma this week I decided to try out my local gun shop/range's "action pistol" match on Thursday. It's like the other pistol sports but much less formal. No concealment, etc... I decided to shoot my S&W 686 SSR because I've been doing a lot of dry fire work with it lately and I really enjoy shooting it. According to the range's website the stages were ~12 rounds so I figured I'd be fine with a couple of speed loaders. I had a new case of freedom munitions 158 gr RNs and was ready to rock and/or roll.
It was a train wreck. I was the only revolver shooter there out of about twenty shooters. I thought to myself, this is great. I can run this gun well. I'll show everyone. Nope. Apparently freedom uses a harder primer than I've ever shot because I had light strikes all freakin evening. At least one round per cylinder didn't fire. The first time it happened was at the end of a cylinder (during the first stage) and the sheer shock and frustration caused me to fumble my reload like a blind idiot. I was making good hits but I was stuck reloading like crazy through the stages. I'd basically pull the trigger six times (regardless of the number of booms) then reload and drive on.
Of course, this could have all been avoided if I had tested any of this ammo prior to the match. I assumed (yes, I know) all would be well. I'm glad it was just for fun, but incredibly irritated by the whole thing.
On the bright side, there were a few kids shooting the match that were very good. Two boys about 13 that were friends and there with one of their fathers shooting a G19 and G26 respectively. They shot alright but really handled themselves very well throughout the short match.

I'm going to take more of the ammo out this week when I have a day off and test it properly with my 686, my 340, and probably my dad's colt king cobra (any excuse to borrow the colt, lol). Also going to test out the Freedom Munitions 9mm in my glocks before shooting a 2-gun match this weekend. I don't expect to be very competitive score-wise but I don't want a repeat of this recent performance.

MDS
04-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Frustrating!

TheTrevor
04-20-2014, 08:11 PM
FWIW I've had 100.0% good rounds over many thousands of Freedom Munitions 9mm and 40sw fired through HKs over the last 6 months. Not a single misfire, hard primer, weak powder load, squib, etc.

Sorry to hear you had a rough experience -- good learning in there, though. Test your ammo before you shoot in front of other people, and don't let it shake you when things don't go as planned.

PPGMD
04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
And that is why I am so anal about my equipment.

I have a regional match this weekend so today was spent:
1. Cleaning and lubing primary and back up gun
2. Gathering together the ammo I will bring and case gauging the match ammo
3. Cleaning Competition Magazines
4. Checking screws on holster, mag pouches, and belt system.

SGT_Calle
04-21-2014, 06:12 AM
FWIW I've had 100.0% good rounds over many thousands of Freedom Munitions 9mm and 40sw fired through HKs over the last 6 months. Not a single misfire, hard primer, weak powder load, squib, etc.

That's why I bought it and trusted it. People I trust use it regularly. I contacted them just asking about what primers they used. I figure worst case I can swap out some springs or something to be able to use it for practice.

Another funny moment from before the match. I was talking to the two young teens before the match. One was asking the other where to put their spare mag/carrier. I offered them advice about placement (bullets forward) and gripping the mag properly to index it and aid in the reload. 30 seconds of instruction.
They looked at me like I was some retard with a revolver, lol. I know the "uh, whatever" look quite well. My 13 yr old daughter issues it regularly.

Al T.
04-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Man that's frustrating. I had a pistol go down at a match years ago, so switched out to my revolver. Found out that it wasn't busting primers at all (100%) due to my cutting of the hammer spur. Trip back to Ruger (Security Six) and a new hammer and all was well.

May want to check the mainspring tension screw and perhaps a new main spring.

SGT_Calle
04-21-2014, 06:49 AM
I'll check out that tension screw for sure, thanks Al.
I really love the trigger on this SSR, I would hate to have to change stuff too much to get this ammo to run.

rsa-otc
04-21-2014, 07:50 AM
If the custom shop is still doing things like they were 4 years ago when my son purchased his 686 SSR they were using a Wolf Springs Power Rib Main Spring - Type 2 which is rated for competition use only. While he never had any issues setting off the primers I use for our ammo, it may have issues with hard primers. Type 1 is rated as factory standard and they advise only to use Type 1's in duty weapons.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=58

JHC
04-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Does the ammo ignite in this revolver single action? (Am I mistaken or does SA get a harder shot at a primer than DA in a wheelie?)

SGT_Calle
04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
If the custom shop is still doing things like they were 4 years ago when my son purchased his 686 SSR they were using a Wolf Springs Power Rib Main Spring - Type 2 which is rated for competition use only. While he never had any issues setting off the primers I use for our ammo, it may have issues with hard primers. Type 1 is rated as factory standard and they advise only to use Type 1's in duty weapons.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=58

Very interesting. Thank you very much!
I want to take it apart and see if there's any distinguishing marks on it and make sure it's tight but I'm working so it has to stay holstered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGT_Calle
04-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Does the ammo ignite in this revolver single action? (Am I mistaken or does SA get a harder shot at a primer than DA in a wheelie?)

Didn't even think to try it SA. I'll check that at the range as well.

JHC
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Didn't even think to try it SA. I'll check that at the range as well.

Now if you were Caleb, you would not have that option. ;)

SGT_Calle
04-21-2014, 11:17 AM
True!
I still wanna be like Caleb when I grow up, except taller and less beard-y.

jetfire
04-21-2014, 12:52 PM
True!
I still wanna be like Caleb when I grow up, except taller and less beard-y.

I don't hit my head on low doors.

Freedom Munitions uses CCI primers IIRC, which are a little bit harder than the recommended Federal primers that revo guys. Because I'm at the mercy of the ammo gods, I keep my revos tuned just a bit heavier so I can get reliable ignition across the board. The benefit is that I can crack a walnut with my index finger.

LHS
04-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Had the same thing happen with my J-frame at the recent local BUG match, using my reloads with CCI primers. I just cycled through and restruck them, and the laggards went bang. Might have to get the J resprung a bit heavier though.

SGT_Calle
04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
May want to check the mainspring tension screw and perhaps a new main spring.

Well, apparently I now owe Al a beer next time we have dinner.
Checked the tension screw and it was loose. Tightened it up and ran a whole box of the Freedom Munitions without the slightest hiccup today.
Also ran 200 rounds through my G17 & G19. Worked on drawing and reloading with my battle belt on. I'll be using it for the first time this weekend shooting a 2-gun match.
I discovered I need more dry fire with reloads, shooting my SIRT pistol. I kept reaching to far back for the magazine.
Still, awesome session and relieved to have solved the S&W issue.

Al T.
04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Well, apparently I now owe Al a beer next time we have dinner.

:D Old guy stuff. BTDT!

Alpha Sierra
04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
There should be no practical difference in striking force DA or SA.

Lomshek
04-24-2014, 09:46 PM
There should be no practical difference in striking force DA or SA.

A lot of revolvers release the hammer at slightly different points between the two meaning one mode of fire compresses the hammer spring slightly more before release. Pretty sure SA gives a more powerful primer strike in my S&W 317 .22lr.