PDA

View Full Version : Camo on your fighting rifles

breakingtime91
04-17-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm slowly working up to painting my ak, was curious to see what other peoples rifles look like before I take the "plunge".

TORCH2J
04-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Just out of curiosity, why are you painting yours?

I painted my work gun for a couple of deployments, so I understand the desire to paint your stuff.

breakingtime91
04-17-2014, 11:47 AM
The only time the rifle gets used is for hiking or going shooting with a buddy so I just don't see why not. I wasn't allowed to while in the marines so I guess the why if got the better of me

MDS
04-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I'd like to hear tips and tricks, too. My can of brake cleaner is empty, or I'd have started today. For me, the "why" is that it's a fun project. Nothing meaningful...

DocGKR
04-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Read this: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/painting-your-carbine-from-the-book-of-pat

and maybe this: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/the-i-blame-stephen-for-my-painted-rifle-thread?page=1

breakingtime91
04-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Doc you have to be a member

JWinTN
04-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Doc you have to be a member

It's worth joining up just for that info. Just be sure to follow the instructions in your activation email and you're good to go. I painted a rifle using directions there and learned quite a bit from the discussion, which meanders from prep to the actual painting to the effective use of camouflage. The painted rifle thread has numerous examples for inspiration.

If you want me to go through the process I used on mine, let me know.

breakingtime91
04-17-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm pending acceptance and should be good to go

JWinTN
04-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm pending acceptance and should be good to go

Good deal, be ready to read, Those threads are loooooonnnnng

breakingtime91
04-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks, if you want to share your process, I wouldn't mind learning another way.

JMS
04-17-2014, 10:42 PM
The process in the first LF link takes about 20 min of prep, 20-30min of spraying, and a little drying time to be shoot-ready (though leaving it alone for some curing is only helpful). It's also designed to provide a camouflage paint job, not the "my gun looks cool" preferred by the form > function crowd, though it certainly possible for both to exist at the same time, on the same gun.

The looooong part of the thread is folks sharing their results, variations, and tweaks.

Most folks that do this sort of thing professionally will tell you that the prep is the most important part. They're right, but I feel that spending a little extra $$ to buy Averoe paint is worthwhile. That said, Krylon and Rustoleum work just fine.

Mine's....ugly. But it has a nice personality. ;)

breakingtime91
04-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Is it weird I think that rifle looks awesome?

JMS
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
It's a "lived-in" look....

That paint's 5+yrs old, and I'm glad that a lot of the patterning is plain 'ol worn off; it was too linear. Now the thing's simply just "not black," plus scrapes, bumps, a 5m drop, lube and carbon....and I've let it be. If I ever get to the point that I'm worried about shooting it from a hide, I'll blotch it in the appropriate spots to break up the outline. I've looked at ti through NVGs, next to a stock USMC M4; the latter sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl, by comparison, so just getting rid of black goes a loooong way.

Elsewise...you can see the raised portions that have a bit of a sheen....? Combo of 1) paint applied too thick, and 2) polishing from usage. You'll read "several light coats." Take it seriously, I bungled it more than a bit.

I'm replacing the rail in the near future, so I'll hit that and the other TIB stuff shown (ancillary equipment's changed since original paint) to kinda-sorta match, and spritz it with matte clear-coat....and then I'll leave it be while I shoot it until I have to replace the barrel again.

BoppaBear
04-18-2014, 06:55 PM
The process in the first LF link takes about 20 min of prep, 20-30min of spraying, and a little drying time to be shoot-ready (though leaving it alone for some curing is only helpful). It's also designed to provide a camouflage paint job, not the "my gun looks cool" preferred by the form > function crowd, though it certainly possible for both to exist at the same time, on the same gun.

The looooong part of the thread is folks sharing their results, variations, and tweaks.

Most folks that do this sort of thing professionally will tell you that the prep is the most important part. They're right, but I feel that spending a little extra $$ to buy Averoe paint is worthwhile. That said, Krylon and Rustoleum work just fine.

Mine's....ugly. But it has a nice personality. ;)

Very nice. If I were to go the paint (or get painted) route, it would be something like this.

The gunsmith I use locally has some nice "dirty camo" variations that are not uniform in pattern and melt the edges nicely. It's amazing how just breaking up the outline/edges can give it the "camo" look without having to go full digital/multi/name your camo variant route.

This is definitely a paint job I'd like over the more patterned jobs. It looks "real", if that makes sense.

Tamara
04-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Is it weird I think that rifle looks awesome?

I volunteered my carbine as a guinea pig for a new Duracote spray setup at the joint where I used to work. As it turned out, there were some initial problems, one of which was that the work area was way too hot in the dead of summer, and so the stuff flaked off here and there.

He offered to redo it, but I said "Nah, it looks cool hanging on the wall in the shop. It looks like it's been in the $#!+ (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7296/1489/1600/mrhousegun.jpg)." :D

ETA: Wow, that pic is so old that my VFG is "as far rearward as you can get it without interfering with mag changes." That's like the carbine equivalent of parachute pants or leg warmers.

Jay Cunningham
04-19-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't recommend camouflaging the back of your front sight post.

jetfire
04-19-2014, 12:52 PM
I volunteered my carbine as a guinea pig for a new Duracote spray setup at the joint where I used to work. As it turned out, there were some initial problems, one of which was that the work area was way too hot in the dead of summer, and so the stuff flaked off here and there.

He offered to redo it, but I said "Nah, it looks cool hanging on the wall in the shop. It looks like it's been in the $#!+ (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7296/1489/1600/mrhousegun.jpg)." :D

ETA: Wow, that pic is so old that my VFG is "as far rearward as you can get it without interfering with mag changes." That's like the carbine equivalent of parachute pants or leg warmers.

I was watching Black Hawk Down the other day thinking "man, those rifles are pretty basic."

breakingtime91
04-19-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't recommend camouflaging the back of your front sight post.

I plan on covering up the front sight and the whole rear sight.

Tamara
04-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Suppose the enemy is sneaking up behind you? Your front sight could give away your position. :|

Al T.
04-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I got a pretty good look at Pat's rifle last time he was here. Aervoe is definitely much tougher that Krylon.

1slow
04-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Aervoe works well for me. If you follow the Lightfighter directions it goes well. Light misting coats. Camo net or paper with irregular holes held over rifle work well.

breakingtime91
04-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Suppose the enemy is sneaking up behind you? Your front sight could give away your position. :|

Lol i already painted my front sight orange, I am to invested now! In all seriousness the painted front sight with a rifle dynamics rear sight is night and day

helothar
04-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Is aervoe available at any chain stores or is ordering online the best bet?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JMS
04-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Usually able to find it in tactical toy-stores if you live near a military base that supports ground combat element troops, or schools related to that. For example, I live near Quantico, and Quantico Tactical carries it at the Q-Town store.

Otherwise....

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/air-cure-aerosol-paints/camo-paints-prod126.aspx

Maybe it's my monitor, but those color-tiles don't provide a good representation of the colors available. Sand is an actual light tan, not as grey as shown, and is first-choice as a basecoat, though the "Earth Yellow" is probably also good if it's the dirty, Gulden's Spicy Mustard-y color I remember it being.

Mine's Sand, originally stiped with Earth Brown (also not shown well, it's a no-kidding flat chocolate brown) through a sniper-veil, then other spots with a fishnet stocking (larger openings than the veil; told the cashier: "I sure hope I get the seam straight when I put these on..."), then misted over all with MC Green.

bt91, when your registration goes through, don't forget to post an intro in the Intro thread before posting anywhere else. You've been briefed.... ;)

Al T.
04-20-2014, 09:23 AM
don't forget to post an intro in the Intro thread before posting anywhere else.

Ditto. Don't, don't kitten that up.

Malamute
04-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Ditto. Don't, don't kitten that up.

Uh-oh,....

I missed the briefing on that.

JMS
04-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Ehhh, the dogs'll bark at you for posting without having followed the instructions you'd have received in the registration confirmation email....up until you post an intro. You can ignore it all the way up until you decide to stop lurking, is all.

It's the internet, they can't affect your arrest record or credit rating. ;)

MDS
04-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Yes but it's awkward on the lie detector when they ask if you've accessed a computer system in violation of policy and you have to say yes...

Salamander
04-21-2014, 01:38 AM
So many people seem to have variants of desert camo/FDE/tan based patterns, but I live in conifer country. If I ever decide to do this I'd almost certainly be better off with something closer to CADPAT TW colors (Canadian temperate woodland).

Al T.
04-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Mine are mainly green/brown splattered. South Kackalacky has a dearth of deserts, which is fine by me. :)

breakingtime91
04-21-2014, 08:39 AM
I thought mine would be mostly green and brown but the more I looked around I saw a lot more tan. I guess I never realized how light Prarie grass is or how much tan there is in the mountains.

ironsights
05-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Read this: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/painting-your-carbine-from-the-book-of-pat

and maybe this: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/the-i-blame-stephen-for-my-painted-rifle-thread?page=1

Thanks for the links.

Pretty much how I did mine. Not fancy, not really pretty, just not shiny black.

Kyle Reese
05-13-2014, 06:59 PM
I hit my recce with Krylon and employed a mesh laundry bag to break up the profile. Nothing fancy, but only took a few mins and only cost a few bucks. YMMV.

Mike Honcho
05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I used the krylon camo series on mine. I started with a tan base coat and then cut/tore random holes in a sheet of newspaper to try to replicate cammie netting. After draping it across the rifle and hitting it with random strokes of OD green and brown, I pulled the paper off only to find krylon's idea of camo brown was too poopish. I misted over the uncovered rifle with OD to try to tone down the brown and tie the whole pattern together but the brown still sucked to I redid it with just OD over tan. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/ume4yruj.jpg

You can still see some brown but I changed some parts and need to redo it eventually anyway.

Odin Bravo One
05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Krylon, or Aervoe.........or combo of them? Don't remember.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/SCARAOR1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SavageHunter/media/SCARAOR1.jpg.html)

It can be as simple of elaborate as you choose, and are patient enough for.

I have moved into DuraCoat and airbrushing as another hobby associated with guns, but don't take it too seriously. Still, I have learned a bit over the years, and at the end of the day, what you want out of it will determine what you put into it. My serious guns get serious attention from professionals. My toys get home DuraCoat. My practice projects get a lot of rattle can, then some DuraCoat (maybe)......

breakingtime91
05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
That looks great Sean, I just did a base of khaki krylon and streaks of of green. I left my pistol grip brown and my wood lower hand guard wood, not the prettiest but it works.

MDS
05-14-2014, 01:27 AM
My serious guns get serious attention from professionals. My toys get home DuraCoat. My practice projects get a lot of rattle can, then some DuraCoat (maybe)......

That makes sense but quick clarification - does some rattle can treatment render a serious gun less serious? In other words, I don't care enough about camo to pony up for professional attention...but I don't have enough fighting rifles to relegate any of then to "toy" status. Any reason not to krylon, eg, my one and only ar?

Odin Bravo One
05-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Rattle can treatment versus professional grade application of the epoxy-based "serious" finishes to me means ability withstand, and sustain it's qualities under what I would describe as "serious" conditions.......

Not every gun I own (or even close) has "serious" paint applied. I don't define "serious" as in the nature of a gun's task and conditions........but in the nature of the task and conditions to which it may find itself applied. Only 3 guns have pro paint jobs on them..........1 carbine, 1 pistol, 1 AT&T rifle........

Honestly? Rattle can is still good for me, for 99% of my uses, and 99% of my guns that would even get paint at all. But you see.......I got this airbrush thingy, and a compressor, and there are only so many bike tires and footballs that need the compressor.............and well, ummmmm......so the thing is............yeah. Rattle can is fine.

And it doesn't have to be pretty unless YOU want it to be pretty. When push comes to shove, if it's stupid, but it works.........it ain't stupid!

The above rattle can pic was simply to show what can be done with rattle can, at home, and yuuup..........you can do it. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off. And I did. Once. Next three tries were epic failures.

And as some have already stated, the pro's.........the real pro's........tell you prep is everything. I have not found anything to be contrary to their belief's in my own humble foray into painting guns. However, again.......what do YOU want out of it? I've had(have) some ugly ass paint jobs on guns. Ugly all day. (See above epic failures). And they still look "ugly". But I also don't care. They met my goal of having paint on them. Other guns I wanted functional, in more ways than just paint, requiring expertise, skill, and attributes I don't possess. Prep. Proper tools. Climate controlled conditions. PATIENCE! Paint/epoxy that would last, corrosion resistant, etc.

I currently have a botched paint job going to a pro, for pro application of a pro finish. Why? Cause I kittened it up, and while I didn't "like" the color scheme before.........I hate it now because it looks like a bag of smashed buttholes epoxied themselves to my full custom, built from the ground up, and spent way too much money pistol..............that I buggered up in one late night "good idea fairy" session. I'm not leaving a legacy heirloom gun to my midget looking like that........especially since I made it that way!!!

Jay Cunningham
05-14-2014, 05:12 AM
Honestly? Rattle can is still good for me, for 99% of my uses, and 99% of my guns that would even get paint at all. But you see.......I got this airbrush thingy, and a compressor, and there are only so many bike tires and footballs that need the compressor.............and well, ummmmm......so the thing is............yeah. Rattle can is fine.

That's a really good excuse to buy more long guns.

Odin Bravo One
05-14-2014, 11:34 PM
No more room in the safe. And I will not buy another safe for this house. Assuming I live long enough to move to a new home in the next 4-5 years, we are doing a walk in vault, simply because a safe that will hold all that is stashed not in the safe + what is in the safe would hide 90% of what I own.

More interested in taking a finished basement family room and turning it into a walk in party palace of guns, bullets, reloading benches, flat screen TV's, Wifi, Bluetooth, couches, comfy chairs, and guns where I can see them, appreciate them, and likely even shoot from inside said gun party palace vault.

That's just me.

LHS
05-15-2014, 01:08 AM
More interested in taking a finished basement family room and turning it into a walk in party palace of guns, bullets, reloading benches, flat screen TV's, Wifi, Bluetooth, couches, comfy chairs, and guns where I can see them, appreciate them, and likely even shoot from inside said gun party palace vault.

That's just me.

It ain't just you. That's my long-term goal as well, though my wife seems to think it'll mean I'll disappear into my man-cave and never emerge.

I've given some mild thought to painting some of my rifles, but haven't yet taken the plunge. So far, I'm just running what Nyeti calls "West Virginia Camo", i.e. mis-matched solid color furniture pieces. One gun has an FDE grip, OD stock, RG VFG, and a plethora of colors of rail panels. Other guns have similar treatments. It at least breaks up the pattern somewhat, if not as well as a true camo job.

Doug
05-15-2014, 09:33 AM

That's just me.

Absolutely. It is hard to appreciate what you have unless you have your own personal "grey" room.

When I move one day, it is a must have in a house!

BoppaBear
07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Well, I took the plunge.

Before:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/uvy2y4ah.jpg

After:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/5epepaqe.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/e6u6ebar.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/madatu5e.jpg

Odin Bravo One
07-13-2014, 05:17 PM
That'll work.........

BoppaBear
07-13-2014, 05:52 PM
That'll work.........

Thanks Sean. Pretty happy with my first rattle can job. Wasn't interested in it being too "pretty". Just wanted the lines broken up, and some versatile coloring with a random pattern. If it gets banged up training or in courses, so be it. Grab a can of camo paint and touch it up.

breakingtime91
07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Looks good! I have done two rifles since starting this thread, pretty addicting.

BoppaBear
07-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks man! Was a little nervous at first, but it's really difficult to screw up as far as the painting is concerned.

Odin Bravo One
07-13-2014, 09:52 PM
I just finished discussing the camo pattern for the wife's practice/training rifle. Looking forward to it as I am getting a little better each time I fire up the compressor and Duracoat. Hopefully will turn out the way she wants it. Won't do much for actual camo, but......it is what she wants. Happy wife, happy life.

BoppaBear
07-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Good deal. Post a pic when you're done. I did a couple more mags last night to match the one that was in the gun when I painted, and to practice a little more. In order to keep a mag in the rifle when it's in the case, I have to use 20 rounders. So I've got the 30 rounder that was in the gun, and 2 20's, with my 75gr SD ammo.

I may do a few more of my "go" mags for fun.

Tamara
07-14-2014, 08:37 AM

I'll be in my bunk.

Default.mp3
07-29-2014, 06:42 PM
I think it turned out pretty well for a first attempt ever painting something with spray paint:
http://i.imgur.com/jRg8g4nl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/jRg8g4n.jpg)

MDS
07-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Hey Default you should ask for help in the help desk forum - your picture has nothing in it but an empty deck. (Nice work. :D)

BoppaBear
07-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Looks awesome man!

MD7305
09-28-2014, 08:23 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/28/4b7bc124b114efa33e80a947af53eaa1.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/28/fb5ff1e3ce240c14de45f3c5da05105f.jpg

I finally got up the courage to camo my carbine. I used Krylon starting with a gray base coat, then sand, OD, and then brown. I used pine branches to do a very random pattern. I'm fairly satisfied with the results and it blends great with my local foliage. I'm looking for some critique and if I should try to redo it. Some areas show a bit of a pine needle pattern and others just blend, kinda ATACS appearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
09-28-2014, 09:13 AM
looks great man. Just run it and if you eventually get bored of it, remove it or just paint over it. That is the best part of krylon

Default.mp3
02-18-2016, 10:31 PM
A bit of a necro, but FYI, Aervoe is discontinuing some colors, apparently. I believe the colors in question are khaki, urban tan, light tan, and highland, all from the Military Digital Pattern Camo Paint line (you can see on their website that they've taken most of the colors out of that line). They do have it available direct from order from Aervoe at closeout prices; minimum orders is 5 cases (each case has 6 cans), but each case is less than 5 USD. My total order cost of 5 cases of paint was 51.89 USD, that's with the ~28 USD shipping. I called in, and was transferred over to a Michelle in marketing to make my purchase.

I'll note that they also have black on the close-out sale list, although since black is also listed on their Military Vehicle & Recreation Camouflage Paint line, so they might just be trying to get rid of the overlap in the Digital Pattern line.

SLG
02-19-2016, 12:02 PM
If we're going to necro...

BT91, lets see your painted ak! Also, how about a pic of the RD rear sight? I saw one once or twice, but it's been a while. Can't find them for sale on their site. Just an opened notch, slightly rounded on the corners, right?

Doublestack45
02-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Found this online before I ordered.
https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6030&stc=1

breakingtime91
02-19-2016, 07:39 PM
If we're going to necro...

BT91, lets see your painted ak! Also, how about a pic of the RD rear sight? I saw one once or twice, but it's been a while. Can't find them for sale on their site. Just an opened notch, slightly rounded on the corners, right?

I would if I still had it. I loved the RD rear sight. Easily usable, opened up notch and rounded on the corners. Used it a lot with just that and then went with an ultimak and H1 before going back to the ar15. I put a lot of rounds through that gun but a friend offered me more the I paid for it.

Luke
02-19-2016, 11:11 PM
I think it turned out pretty well for a first attempt ever painting something with spray paint:

I've never wanted a painted rifle. I would pay you to make mine look like that! If I knew I could get it to look like that id do it in a heart beat!

Default.mp3
02-20-2016, 01:14 AM
I've never wanted a painted rifle. I would pay you to make mine look like that! If I knew I could get it to look like that id do it in a heart beat!Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Multicam really isn't that hard, IMO, it's just tedious and time-consuming because of all the colors, as you'll have to let the paint cure between each layer. However, if you're patient and have a good swatch to work off of, a decent reproduction is pretty easy. I'm not really happy with the pattern on the ejection side and some of the coloration, but those are easily enough remedied for my next attempt

I did this with homemade stencils created from painters tape and wax paper, shapes traced from the rifle bag and used as positive stencils (kinda like this: http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2009/07/creating-stencil-out-of-painters-tape.html). 8 different colors, all Aervoe: desert sand, earth brown, dark green, light green, earth yellow, light coyote, light tan, and khaki.

For the future, I'd still stick with Desert Sand for the cream splotches. For the dark brown splotches, I'd use Earth Brown misted with Black (Earth Brown by itself is too light, and Aervoe doesn't have any dark chocolate colors). Next layer, I'd used Earth Yellow (misted with Light Green), and Dark Green. Final layer I'd use Earth Brown (Coyote is a bit too light, IMO), Khaki, and Light Tan. Negative stenciling to generate the patterns.

The real trick that most people seem to miss is that within some of the layers, there's some areas with hard outlines and some with a gradient, such as the Dark Green and Earth Yellow/Light Green layer. They're both on the "same layer", but you'll see how there are some places where there's a hard line between the two colors, and other places where it blends together. Same thing for the "top layer" with the various browns.

Andy in NH
02-20-2016, 02:24 AM
Rattle can paint and some netting.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/PC181570.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/adchesney/media/PC181570.jpg.html)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/P4241031.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/adchesney/media/P4241031.jpg.html)

Krylon® Webbing Spray.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/PC270743.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/adchesney/media/PC270743.jpg.html)

Duracoat paint and stencil kit.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/Chain%20Link%20AR%20at%20VTAC%20Class.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/adchesney/media/Chain%20Link%20AR%20at%20VTAC%20Class.jpg.html)

SLG
02-20-2016, 07:41 PM
I would if I still had it. I loved the RD rear sight. Easily usable, opened up notch and rounded on the corners. Used it a lot with just that and then went with an ultimak and H1 before going back to the ar15. I put a lot of rounds through that gun but a friend offered me more the I paid for it.

Lame... :-)

Kyle Reese
02-20-2016, 08:46 PM

CSW
02-21-2016, 03:09 PM
I rattle-canned, Krylon Camo paints, this build I did. It was last summer's project, and has not even started to show wear yet.
Started with a base coat of sand/tan, and then just cut random patterns out of painter's tape, adding forest green, red/brownish primer and black. Matte clear-coat over it all. Was going for the old woodland camo pattern.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682422/22920671/412218640.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682422/22920671/412036735.jpg

Just a fun project....

dkv
03-28-2016, 06:20 PM
I like these for their use of light colors.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682422/22920671/412036735.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/PC181570.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/adchesney/media/PC181570.jpg.html)

I think the light/dark contrast breaks up the shape of rifle better than the more monochromatic schemes, like this Ferris-pattern F14.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4114/4911479780_9b24a4a08e_b.jpg

Default.mp3
10-15-2016, 02:16 PM
The SBR had been painted 2014-JUL, and it's been about 2170 rounds later; you can see the wear's not been too bad, most of which has been generated by biathlons.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5698/30257779311_d5bcbbfbda_b.jpg (https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5698/30257779311_d4a819bddf_o.jpg)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8637/30308647976_63580e68cf_b.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8637/30308647976_f417ca51e3_o.jpg)

Luke
10-15-2016, 11:27 PM
That paint job is just sick man. I absolutely love it.

Default.mp3
01-23-2017, 07:17 PM
The last AR-15 in my foreseeable future.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/615/31647255034_856793a5be_b.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/615/31647255034_5b378f0e3f_k.jpg)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/688/32339124052_edc75eef55_b.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/688/32339124052_4344d14528_k.jpg)

M2CattleCo
01-24-2017, 01:03 AM
I think they look good but they always wind up turning into a sticky mess after awhile. The paint breaks down after time and oil migrates everywhere and sand sticks to it and it ends up being something you can't use in decent clothes.

Sometimes you need to look grown-up and professional, a beat-up lookin' rattle canned AR just doesn't do it stateside.

LittleLebowski
01-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Well done!

Default.mp3
02-02-2019, 12:08 AM
Using my patent pending painting technique (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24614-How-to-Paint-Your-Rifle-Multicam(-ish)):
https://i.imgur.com/cPYTYtJ.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/5ApZQw9.jpg)
https://i.imgur.com/RIwWX3Q.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/npB4UAz.jpg)

jellydonut
02-02-2019, 06:15 AM
If you're worried about messing everything up, I recommend 'plasti-dip' as your first foray. I decided to 'dip' the stock on my bolt gun and it turned out decent to look at, and easy to peel when you're feeling tired of it. It also has a super grippy rubbery texture which improves the handling of the gun in my book.

JWHuey
02-05-2019, 12:18 AM
Not my "fighting rifle", but I rattle canned a cheap Mossberg ATR in 30-06 just to see if I could.
I think it came out okay.

Darth_Uno
02-05-2019, 12:53 AM
Crappy LED lighting but here’s mine. Not good enough to brag about but not bad enough to redo.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190205/10285343503c1e00bba8c26acb8afcd7.jpg

Guerrero
02-05-2019, 09:54 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/hvcu3m.jpg

Casual Friday
02-05-2019, 01:26 PM
If you're worried about messing everything up, I recommend 'plasti-dip' as your first foray. I decided to 'dip' the stock on my bolt gun and it turned out decent to look at, and easy to peel when you're feeling tired of it. It also has a super grippy rubbery texture which improves the handling of the gun in my book.

That may work fine on a stock, but I wouldn't use Plastidip close to anything that gets hot. It will melt and turn into a gooey mess. It also doesn't withstand chemicals very well.

That Guy
02-07-2019, 03:58 AM

Does that sling setup work? Seems like the mounting points are awfully close to each other?

Guerrero
02-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Does that sling setup work? Seems like the mounting points are awfully close to each other?

Not my rifle, though I have contemplated the color scheme.

MistWolf
02-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Rebarreled an old upper with a barrel Cory sent me (thanks Cory!) to celebrate Gorundhog's Day with. Magpul Slimline handguard and Magpul grip were primed with Rustoleum Caribbean Sand (it has sand mixed in the paint) then finished with two or three shades of Rustoleum Stone Texture spray paint. The result is a textured surface really gives a good grip.

https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-qpW4QDx/0/3f6aa141/X4/i-qpW4QDx-X4.jpg

Handguard
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-kSNKbRW/0/27153223/X4/i-kSNKbRW-X4.jpg

Closer look at the handguard. The texture is nice and grippy.
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-x8bNLkm/0/b0067c88/X2/i-x8bNLkm-X2.jpg

Before applying paint to the grip, I used a Dremel to round off the angles a bit and blend it the lower. The differences are subtle, but noticeably more comfortable
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-zP9VX58/0/21d321f3/X2/i-zP9VX58-X2.jpg

I hope to get this AR to the range today to get it sighted in and see what kind of precision I can expect.

I've blended and painted a couple of BCM grips in the same fashion and have been pleased with the results.

1986s4
02-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Wow! You guys are good. I've thought about painting my rifle but haven't come up with a good reason until now. A black rifle just stands out everywhere and it's an image that we appreciate but not everyone does.. So breaking up the outline might be reason enough ? Thinking...
I have a gunsmith friend who is certified to paint Cerocote, so what does use to paint his guns? A rattle can.
Do any of you paint your pistols? Maybe a question for the pistol section.

Darth_Uno
02-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Wow! You guys are good. I've thought about painting my rifle but haven't come up with a good reason until now. A black rifle just stands out everywhere and it's an image that we appreciate but not everyone does.. So breaking up the outline might be reason enough ? Thinking...
I have a gunsmith friend who is certified to paint Cerocote, so what does use to paint his guns? A rattle can.
Do any of you paint your pistols? Maybe a question for the pistol section.

There’s no practical reason because (ideally) nobody sees your pistol, but even a good paint on a plastic frame will look like doodie in short order.

I painted my AR because...I felt like it.

Default.mp3
08-26-2022, 12:55 AM
I've posted this gun when freshly painted. Just thought I'd throw in how it looks now and how it looks under NODs:
https://i.imgur.com/88wrewyh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/me3caKf.jpg

19852+
08-26-2022, 09:32 AM
Earlier this year I decided to paint my Colt pistol. The previous cerokote job was getting so worn on the high spots I was getting some rust on the bare metal. I cleaned it well and sanded the finish with super fine paper. Base of FDE then splotches of brown and a bit of green. I like it, it's ugly and now worn on the high spots and the oil removes it too. I did the magpul SL handguard on one AR. It was black and the direct sun here made it hot to handle. FDE, brown and green, I really like it.
I have another well worn pistol that I'm thinking of painting when it becomes time for a major cleaning..

Caballoflaco
08-26-2022, 06:17 PM
Default.mp3 or anyone else; what paint are people using now that aerovoe has ceased production of their Camo paint line? I’ve got a 1301 that 4 days later is still tacky in some places after using some krylon for just a base coat.

The last time I painted some guns was 10 years ago and iirc that was krylon and while it might not have been the most durable finish, at least it was easy to apply and dried quickly. This new stuff seems lacking in comparison.

Default.mp3
08-26-2022, 07:29 PM
@Default.mp3 (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=1132) or anyone else; what paint are people using now that aerovoe has ceased production of their Camo paint line? I’ve got a 1301 that 4 days later is still tacky in some places after using some krylon for just a base coat.

The last time I painted some guns was 10 years ago and iirc that was krylon and while it might not have been the most durable finish, at least it was easy to apply and dried quickly. This new stuff seems lacking in comparison.I believe the go-to these days is still Krylon's Camo line, though I've been told the difference between that and Rust-Oleum's Camo line is pretty minimal. I personally have a decent amount of Aervoe stocked up, so just working through that (though some of it is getting pretty old, so dunno how much longer they'll be good for just from an aerosol perspective), so no personal experience with anything else.

UncleGabby
08-26-2022, 08:01 PM
I just finished painting my carbine with Rapco spray paint from rapcoparts.com. The paint dried quickly, is very flat, and I think it looks good. I was going to just use Rustoleum since Aervoe was no longer readily available, and it’s not that important anyway, but I could not find a satisfactory selection of flat colors at my local big box stores. As I just painted it, I can’t testify to what is obviously one of the most important qualities, durability. I will try to post pics soon.

UncleGabby
08-28-2022, 01:58 PM

I’m probably not done screwing around with the paint, but going to put a few hundred rounds through it, hopefully add a flip up magnifier this fall.

Moshjath
08-28-2022, 04:06 PM
My rifle camo, years of use.

WobblyPossum
08-28-2022, 07:47 PM
My rifle camo, years of use.

What mount is that for your ACOG? It looks like the height is higher and it brings the optic further back towards your eye.

Default.mp3
08-29-2022, 12:51 AM
What mount is that for your ACOG? It looks like the height is higher and it brings the optic further back towards your eye.Looks like a KRAM spacer to me.

https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/kram-optic-spacer-acog-pattern.html

Moshjath
08-30-2022, 11:15 AM
What mount is that for your ACOG? It looks like the height is higher and it brings the optic further back towards your eye.

It's the KRAM, from Weapons Outfitter. Mine is the medium height one, and it clears the Magpul MBUS Pro LR Adjustable sight. They were formerly made by Macedon defense until they went off the market, Weapons Outfitter brought them back. I love it, it does move it higher so my head position is a bit more upright which I like for shooting while standing or moving, and it brings it to the rear to tighten up the eye relief so you don't have to turtle into it.

https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/kram-optic-spacer-acog-pattern.html

42Willys
08-31-2022, 05:51 AM

I’m probably not done screwing around with the paint, but going to put a few hundred rounds through it, hopefully add a flip up magnifier this fall.

Now that’s a fine looking iron UncleGabby

SLUZENE
10-11-2022, 05:07 PM
I just finished painting my carbine with Rapco spray paint from rapcoparts.com. The paint dried quickly, is very flat, and I think it looks good. I was going to just use Rustoleum since Aervoe was no longer readily available, and it’s not that important anyway, but I could not find a satisfactory selection of flat colors at my local big box stores. As I just painted it, I can’t testify to what is obviously one of the most important qualities, durability. I will try to post pics soon.

what colors did you opt for?

UncleGabby
10-11-2022, 05:47 PM
9550195503I used the CARC subsitute tan as a base coat with a light overspray of Camouflage Sand, with swatches of CARC Brown, lusterless Khaki Olive Drab, Lusterless Marine Corps Forest Green, and a can of Aervoe Coyote that I found in a local surplus store. If I do another rifle I’d use Sand as a base coat as it has a greenish hue that I like. The lighting on the pics isn’t great but it gives you an idea.

SLUZENE
10-12-2022, 06:29 PM
I used the CARC subsitute tan as a base coat with a light overspray of Camouflage Sand, with swatches of CARC Brown, lusterless Khaki Olive Drab, Lusterless Marine Corps Forest Green, and a can of Aervoe Coyote that I found in a local surplus store. If I do another rifle I’d use Sand as a base coat as it has a greenish hue that I like. The lighting on the pics isn’t great but it gives you an idea.

Thank you very much! It's hard to find examples of the rapco stuff. Their 34094 / 383 Green CARC substitute looks like a great match for ranger green.

https://www.milspecmonkey.com/articles-page/63-articles/454-a-real-urban-grey
https://www.milspecmonkey.com/articles-page/63-articles/455-a-real-urban-grey-part-2

More swatches here, but the image is shrunk down and I don't have a membership. Anyone with a membership there care to repost the image?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/gillespie-rapco-paint-samples-colors.72259/

UncleGabby
10-12-2022, 07:52 PM
Thank you very much! It's hard to find examples of the rapco stuff. Their 34094 / 383 Green CARC substitute looks like a great match for ranger green.

https://www.milspecmonkey.com/articles-page/63-articles/454-a-real-urban-grey
https://www.milspecmonkey.com/articles-page/63-articles/455-a-real-urban-grey-part-2

More swatches here, but the image is shrunk down and I don't have a membership. Anyone with a membership there care to repost the image?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/gillespie-rapco-paint-samples-colors.72259/

The swatches on Rapco’s site are dissapointing. I opened multiple browser windows but still didn’t feel like I had a good idea of what I was getting. I was mostly looking for contrasts, lights, darks and a few in the middle. I only had the one can of Aervoe to play with, but the Rapco paints dried faster, especially if you accidentally hose it, like I did a few times like I did. So I’m glad I ended up with Rapco. I can’t say anything about durability, but I’m just an average schmuck who gets to go to the range every now and then, so durability isn’t a major concern of mine.

JSGlock34
10-15-2022, 12:54 PM
Here's my first attempt at painting a rifle. So far it is holding up pretty well. Rustoleum Khaki and Deep Forest Green came paint. I'm happy with the results.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95135&d=1664751186

SLUZENE
08-14-2023, 11:28 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53116824292_5de5d71e10_o.jpg

Odin Bravo One
08-15-2023, 07:09 PM
I played around with rattle cans and then switched to airbrush applied coatings for a bit but I found that I don’t have any artistic talent or patience.

Fuck this. I’ll pay someone for CeraCoat when I want a different finish.

Samanator
08-27-2023, 09:45 PM
I’m kind of wondering why you’re not using CeraCoat? I use to do a lot of coating with it years ago. Prep is the primary thing you must work out. I would bead blast the metal pieces. They use to sell a starter kit that includes three colors and and a hvlp gun. I bought a few cheap Walmart toaster ovens to bake things in. Schedule 40 plumbing connectors will hold up to the heat you need for baking which is about 300 if you need to hold things up. Picture hanging wire allow things like barrels to be hung for painting.