PDA

View Full Version : AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Imaposer2
08-15-2016, 09:11 PM
I can though the mold may be an issue with the cylinder as I understand the various sizes aren't the same shape and compatibility isn't the same as the J-frame is.

Yes, the .38 and .357 cylinders do have a different shape, with the .38 having more "fluting". Didn't know if you had the "blue guns" for the LCR or not, but I'd assume that for the LCRs one would need molds for both models. At least for detail molding of the cylinder, although, and while I'm not well versed in your craft, I'd assume that it would be possible to block it out some way where the cylinder area wasn't detail molded and just had a more cylindrical shape since I assume that the TG area is where the retention takes place... HA! Is that enough assumptions from someone that doesn't know squat!? ;)

Just a thought... Two of my most common EDC guns have been J frames for a number of years (they're just so damn easy to carry!) but I just recently picked up a .38 LCR and have found that I prefer it to my J frames (trigger and sights mainly). Enough so that I'll probably add a .357 version at some point... I only mention that because I'd actually prefer a holster that WASN'T detail molded in the cylinder area so that it could work equally with both calibers.

I can't speak to the .327 cylinder, but I'd assume (yeah, there I go again!) that the .38 and .357 are the most common carry options in the LCR line. Oh, and I have the CT LGs installed as well so a cut to accommodate them would be a good idea too if you ever decide to pursue holsters for these guns...

sharps54
08-15-2016, 11:03 PM
There are pics on Dark Star's page, I can take pics but don't have a place to host them online. Mine is just like the one on the website except it has a belt loop instead of the clip.

Hi-Point Aficionado
08-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Arc'Teryx conveyor belt came in. Is good belt. Just need to see how I feel about it as a gunbelt since it's easy to roll. While I definitely wouldn't OWB with this thing, initial impressions are promising for adequate usage A/IWB.

JCS
08-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Speaking of belts, I got a volund gear works atlas slim and it just hasn't worked for me so far. It's more comfortable but seems to print more. Also, my waist size required me to get a large but I have to tighten it all the way and can't adjust it anymore. I think if the belt was shorter it would help with adjustment but the g hook is a pain to me. I'm still on the search for a perfect belt. I've been rocking a leather belt from wal mart. $12 and pretty dang stiff right now. If I end up liking it I'll look into leather gun belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
08-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Speaking of belts, I got a volund gear works atlas slim and it just hasn't worked for me so far. It's more comfortable but seems to print more. Also, my waist size required me to get a large but I have to tighten it all the way and can't adjust it anymore. I think if the belt was shorter it would help with adjustment but the g hook is a pain to me. I'm still on the search for a perfect belt. I've been rocking a leather belt from wal mart. $12 and pretty dang stiff right now. If I end up liking it I'll look into leather gun belts.

saddle back leather makes great belts. I have the 3 stitch and am a big fan of a good leather belt for ccw now..

bornandraisedlv
08-16-2016, 12:57 PM

I really like my Atlas Slim for Aiwb, not so much for iwb. On the flip side, love my Ackerman Gunleather belt for iwb, but it's not good at all for aiwb. Not enough adjustment and the buckle makes the tail before it gets looped in stick out to far.

Imaposer2
08-16-2016, 01:01 PM
I just received my Nexbelt "gunbelt" a few days ago. I decided to give it a shot due to the low profile buckle and "casual belt" look. Haven't put a lot of mileage on it yet, but so far, so good, after just a few days of use. It isn't overly stiff so hopefully it'll work well for AIWB. Definitely not an OWB belt though. It looks like a standard casual belt so can be worn with whatever, without looking out of place, even when not carrying. I really do like the low profile buckle as it keeps the front flat and doesn't print like a lot of other gun belts with the bulky fastening systems. And I really like the 1/4" increment adjustment capability. Easy to put on and take off... No removing and reinstalling buckles and all that shit just to put on a belt... and the buckle is quick and simple to operate and get the tension just right. Only time will tell how well it'll hold up, but if it stays as it is for a reasonable period I'll be happy with it.

CSW
08-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Just sent my Wilderness instructor back to them for a renew on the velcro!
No charge, just the shipping.
I've owned this one since they were introduced, a 5 stitch.... Still working perfectly!

Hi-Point Aficionado
08-17-2016, 12:23 AM
Just sent my Wilderness instructor back to them for a renew on the velcro!
No charge, just the shipping.

You can do that? I've been whining about my frizzed velcro for no reason?

CSW
08-17-2016, 03:30 PM
You can do that? I've been whining about my frizzed velcro for no reason?

Yup.
Go to the belt page and click on the refurb header

CSW
08-17-2016, 03:32 PM
http://www.thewilderness.com/belt-sizing/faq

cmbarny2
08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Ok, so here goes my stupid question of the day. Last week I bought a used CCC Shaggy from someone on another board to try my hand at AIWB. Got it today and I feel like the spacers on the screws are on the wrong side. Should they be between the holster and the clip or on the outside of the clip in between the screws (the way I received it)? I moved them back in between the holster and the clip and it seems to make much more sense to me that way.

JodyH
08-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Ok, so here goes my stupid question of the day. Last week I bought a used CCC Shaggy from someone on another board to try my hand at AIWB. Got it today and I feel like the spacers on the screws are on the wrong side. Should they be between the holster and the clip or on the outside of the clip in between the screws (the way I received it)? I moved them back in between the holster and the clip and it seems to make much more sense to me that way.
Pic linked from Pistol-Training.com
http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/shaggy-clip-closeup.jpg

cmbarny2
08-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks Jody! That's what I thought too but the way I received it I thought maybe someone was smarter than I.

Rich@CCC
08-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Jody, rockin' the old school "Gen 1" Shaggy!!!

I'm surprised at how many times I've seen people put the spacers inside when changing loops. I thought it pretty self explanatory. I suppose there may be instances when the user would want the loop tight to holster but I can picture one.

BTW, I am now using two small round nylon spacers rather than the one longer Kydex spacer. Just and FYI.

Ob1sbo
08-30-2016, 11:12 AM
So this may be out of left field but I seem to have a slight drool for leather. I have had a recent attraction to "tucking wings". So saying that I have looked at the DGL AIWB#4 R/C (reverse cant) and the 5 Shot Leather SME. They seem very similar so I wanted to see what the general consciences on them. I saw that Craig douglas uses the DGL (South Narc) but I wanted more data before droppin the preverbal cheese.

ssb
08-31-2016, 02:41 PM
So this may be out of left field but I seem to have a slight drool for leather. I have had a recent attraction to "tucking wings". So saying that I have looked at the DGL AIWB#4 R/C (reverse cant) and the 5 Shot Leather SME. They seem very similar so I wanted to see what the general consciences on them. I saw that Craig douglas uses the DGL (South Narc) but I wanted more data before droppin the preverbal cheese.

I have no experience with either and honestly unless a used one comes up I probably won't (both have rather long lead times), but I wouldn't discount the JRC AIWB-CDA II. I find that it conceals and wears very much like a wing holster, though the belt loop is offset from the gun. Concealment for me is better than the Eidolon I was previously using, except the CDA II allows for (and honestly is more comfortable with) a higher ride height.

Still alive
09-01-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm new to the forum and to AIWB carry. I'm thinking of trying a GCode Haley Incog holster as it can be moved from strong side to appendix easily. The cost is also reasonable.

Any feedback on this holster? Good/bad?

orionz06
09-01-2016, 11:04 PM
http://imgur.com/a/28E0b

OnionsAndDragons
09-02-2016, 12:47 AM
I'm new to the forum and to AIWB carry. I'm thinking of trying a GCode Haley Incog holster as it can be moved from strong side to appendix easily. The cost is also reasonable.

Please don't. It just isn't a good holster.

IMO, there are only 3 holster designs I've seen recently that transition well between strong side and AIWB roles:

RCS Eidolon. If you carry a Glock, just buy this thing.

DarkStar Gear's newly redesigned clip holster, with removable wing option.

JMCK Universal.

There are probably a couple others out there. But, all three of the above are serious pieces of gear.

LittleLebowski
09-02-2016, 07:33 AM

I'd just buy a dedicated holster for each role. Much more comfortable.

EVP
09-02-2016, 08:01 AM

I agree with what everyone has already said.

What gun you got? Glock 9mm?

Buy a JM custom kydex quick ship or if you are cool with waiting, buy any of the quality makers that know AIWB. JM custom, JRC custom leather, CCC, spencer keepers, dark star gear, 5 shot, Raven vg2(think it is good to have one on hand for a glock even if not your primary holster.

Still alive
09-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Please don't. It just isn't a good holster.

IMO, there are only 3 holster designs I've seen recently that transition well between strong side and AIWB roles:

RCS Eidolon. If you carry a Glock, just buy this thing.

DarkStar Gear's newly redesigned clip holster, with removable wing option.

JMCK Universal.

There are probably a couple others out there. But, all three of the above are serious pieces of gear.

I agree with what everyone has already said.

What gun you got? Glock 9mm?

Buy a JM custom kydex quick ship or if you are cool with waiting, buy any of the quality makers that know AIWB. JM custom, JRC custom leather, CCC, spencer keepers, dark star gear, 5 shot, Raven vg2(think it is good to have one on hand for a glock even if not your primary holster.
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear.
I was thinking of using it for a G19 and another for a USP. I've heard good things about Dark Star and Eidolon.
I read a review on the web about the Incog. It's main criticism was it was bulky, iffy retention and had areas where you can snag clothing. I checked out Dark Star and it just looks like any other Kydex holster. The Raven Eidolon is pricey. I'll do more research but thanks for the help!

voodoo_man
09-02-2016, 09:15 AM

I did two reviews...

http://www.vdmsr.com/2014/02/g-code-haley-strategic-incog-iwb.html

http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/02/g-code-haley-strategic-incog-iwb.html

Still alive
09-02-2016, 10:45 AM
I did two reviews...

HaHAHA!!
Yours was the review(s) I read!! Small world!

orionz06
09-02-2016, 10:53 AM
I checked out Dark Star and it just looks like any other Kydex holster. The Raven Eidolon is pricey. I'll do more research but thanks for the help!

Which one?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

bornandraisedlv
09-02-2016, 03:13 PM
The Raven Eidolon is pricey. I'll do more research but thanks for the help!

Just a heads up, a quality aiwb holster or any quality holster for that matter I would expect to spend at least $100 on, unless you buy used.

An effective, quality holster does not come cheap.

Rich@CCC
09-02-2016, 06:16 PM
I checked out Dark Star and it just looks like any other Kydex holster.

Dark Star Gear Holsters are anything but "any other Kydex holster" I doubt if any other maker(my self included) puts as much thought and effort into their holsters as Tom.

Still alive
09-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Ok, sounds like Dark Star it is! AIWB is new to me. I'm used to OWB carry so please forgive my ignorance. I'll check them out! Thanks guys!

okiwen
09-03-2016, 07:05 AM
I did two reviews...

I appreciate the efforts taken in the review,but I do not agree. The G-Code is my favorite AIWB holster as well as many of those I work with. Thierry customer service and production may be very slow, but I love the holster and find it very concealable. I did switch to the Eclipse modal however, because I don't carry my magazine attached to the holster.

My issues with G-Code come from their poor communication. I have been trying to make a very large government purchase and it feels like I am doing all the work and the chasing.

In fairness, my opinion is not a comparison of the holsters you mentioned, but just of the G-Code itself. I do not own the Darkstar nor the JWC. I should like to consider them for the above mentioned purchase.

voodoo_man
09-03-2016, 08:22 AM
I appreciate the efforts taken in the review,but I do not agree. The G-Code is my favorite AIWB holster as well as many of those I work with. Thierry customer service and production may be very slow, but I love the holster and find it very concealable. I did switch to the Eclipse modal however, because I don't carry my magazine attached to the holster.

My issues with G-Code come from their poor communication. I have been trying to make a very large government purchase and it feels like I am doing all the work and the chasing.

In fairness, my opinion is not a comparison of the holsters you mentioned, but just of the G-Code itself. I do not own the Darkstar nor the JWC. I should like to consider them for the above mentioned purchase.

I did a review on their Eclipse holster - http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/07/g-code-incog-eclipse.html

At the end of the day, as I mentioned in the reviews, there are better holsters that are cheaper and able to be obtained easier.

It is also very difficult to compare a JMCK AIWB Holster (http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/09/jm-custom-aiwb-holster.html) against any of the GCodes because they aren't on the same level. The GCode is made to a different, and in my opinion, much lower standard.

I touched on conceal-ability in my reviews and aside from the Eclipse, the standard Incog really struggles in this aspect. A buddy of mine used to carry his G17 in an Incog everyday but he's a much bigger guy than me, 5'10, 290. He can conceal a battle axe if he wanted to. In contrast for the average sized person the GCode isn't designed around proper concealment or comfort. The "tactical fuzz" for example is a feature that is completely unneeded, it adds nothing.

I understand there is a cult following of GCodes stuff and having personal experience with their product, their company and the way they do business I will steer very clear in the future.

Get yourself a JMCK or DarkStarGear AIWB holster. You'll instantly see the difference in quality and overall application capability of said holster.

As with anything and especially in the shooting/gun industry, when shooters make a product, then listen to their customers to refine aspects of that product to make it better, we get the best products available. Gcode doesn't do that.

blues
09-03-2016, 09:38 AM
As with anything and especially in the shooting/gun industry, when shooters make a product, then listen to their customers to refine aspects of that product to make it better, we get the best products available.

So true.

s0nspark
09-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Get yourself a JMCK or DarkStarGear AIWB holster. You'll instantly see the difference in quality and overall application capability of said holster.

Oh man, can't overstate that... seeing is believing! I have friends who about had an aneurysm when I told them how long I've waited (and, yes, what I've paid) for true purpose-built, top shelf quality holsters. JMCK holsters have worked extremely well for me over the years.

I am currently carrying in a T. Rex Arms Raptor... mainly because I wanted an RMR-capable light-bearing AIWB holster that made use of a claw to tuck in the grip and it was the first I found readily available. It was something new to try and it has worked out well over 3 months of daily carry. It also has the ability to be carried strong side by switching out for a different belt clip but I have not tried that - for me that is more of an "only if I absolutely have to" thing ;-)

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to the day Dark Star offers a light-bearing AIWB holster!

voodoo_man
09-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Oh man, can't overstate that... seeing is believing! I have friends who about had an aneurysm when I told them how long I've waited (and, yes, what I've paid) for true purpose-built, top shelf quality holsters. JMCK holsters have worked extremely well for me over the years.

I am currently carrying in a T. Rex Arms Raptor... mainly because I wanted an RMR-capable light-bearing AIWB holster that made use of a claw to tuck in the grip and it was the first I found readily available. It was something new to try and it has worked out well over 3 months of daily carry. It also has the ability to be carried strong side by switching out for a different belt clip but I have not tried that - for me that is more of an "only if I absolutely have to" thing ;-)

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to the day Dark Star offers a light-bearing AIWB holster!

JM makes an AIWB holster that accepts RMR's:

http://i.imgur.com/qKOobs6.jpg

The claw is neither here or there for me. I used it for a bit on the Eidolon to get some experience with it and it just doesn't do what people are saying it does, for me anyway.

Imaposer2
09-03-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm still wanting to pick up a good AIWB holster for my LCR. I have a couple of wing style holsters for other carry guns, and I've played around with adding wedges to the trigger guard area (and the muzzle area) of an el cheapo just to figure out what I like and want. Basically, I've discovered that for me, the muzzle wedge and some sort of wing really do help hide the gun's grip under pretty much anything I wear.

I've carried a J frame for a number of years, but have recently switched over to the LCR for my small revolver needs, mainly because I really like the trigger.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good AIWB holster, with a wing, for the LCR? It does have CT laser grips if that matters...

s0nspark
09-03-2016, 11:59 AM
The claw is neither here or there for me. I used it for a bit on the Eidolon to get some experience with it and it just doesn't do what people are saying it does, for me anyway.

Understood - a lot of this varies from person to person. The claw offers a noticeable improvement for me. I am carrying a CZ P-07 with an extended mag, though. It may not be as pronounced of a difference with a shorter grip/mag.

Imaposer2
09-03-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm sure that the gun makes a difference, but I'm also sure it depends on the individual's build. I haven't tried the JM version YET, but I do have a Zorn "Skinny Wing" for my G36 and I've tried it with and without the wing. It makes a substantial difference for me. And that gun's butt isn't all that long. Thing is, I'm of a slighter build, with a 30" waist (after a big meal) so anything that pulls that squarish butt in closer helps, and on me at least, the Zorn wing does just that.

voodoo_man
09-03-2016, 01:36 PM
LCR?

That'll get you killed on the streetz.

Seriously though any of the contributing kydex guys on here can probably make you one.

Mirolynmonbro
09-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Still liking the KSG holster. I haven't worn my XDS since I've had it. I should have got a wing holster a long time ago

https://imgur.com/a/AsaNC

Imaposer2
09-03-2016, 04:10 PM
LCR?

Yeah, ya know, like a J frame only with a good trigger, and better sights. All three of my J frames have had the actions worked over mildly, and all three have pretty good triggers while maintaining 100% reliability. Been pretty happy with them for a good number of years. The LCR came out of the box with a better trigger than any of my Js. Mine also came from the factory with the XS standard tritium front. All things considered, I feel that I shoot it a bit better too.

Rich@CCC
09-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm still wanting to pick up a good AIWB holster for my LCR. I have a couple of wing style holsters for other carry guns, and I've played around with adding wedges to the trigger guard area (and the muzzle area) of an el cheapo just to figure out what I like and want. Basically, I've discovered that for me, the muzzle wedge and some sort of wing really do help hide the gun's grip under pretty much anything I wear.

I've carried a J frame for a number of years, but have recently switched over to the LCR for my small revolver needs, mainly because I really like the trigger.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good AIWB holster, with a wing, for the LCR? It does have CT laser grips if that matters...

The LCR is one of the few that really does not need a special holster AIWB. It and many of the smaller frame revolvers seem to be designed for appendix carry. Any quality straight drop rig will work for most people with the little revolver from Ruger.

Imaposer2
09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
The LCR is one of the few that really does not need a special holster AIWB. It and many of the smaller frame revolvers seem to be designed for appendix carry. Any quality straight drop rig will work for most people with the little revolver from Ruger.

I agree about the ease of carrying the J frames and the LCR. That's why they are, and have been for years, something that I carry frequently.

With that said, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have experimented with a cheap straight drop holster and my LCR and have found that it does indeed respond well to the same things as other, harder to conceal, guns and becomes even better concealed, IMO. At least for my body type and the clothes with which I need the LCR rather than one of my Glocks.

The addition of the muzzle wedge and a semi-winglike thingy worked well for me so now I'm ready to find a quality kydex holster designed with these features. I've seen more availability of J frame holsters than the LCR though.

If anyone has any experience with a holster of this type for the J frame and/or knows that its' available for the LCR, let me know.

Wondering Beard
09-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Thierry customer service and production may be very slow,

The what customer service?

bornandraisedlv
09-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Thierry. It's French for the name Terry I believe.

Rich@CCC
09-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I agree about the ease of carrying the J frames and the LCR. That's why they are, and have been for years, something that I carry frequently.

With that said, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I have experimented with a cheap straight drop holster and my LCR and have found that it does indeed respond well to the same things as other, harder to conceal, guns and becomes even better concealed, IMO. At least for my body type and the clothes with which I need the LCR rather than one of my Glocks.

The addition of the muzzle wedge and a semi-winglike thingy worked well for me so now I'm ready to find a quality kydex holster designed with these features. I've seen more availability of J frame holsters than the LCR though.

If anyone has any experience with a holster of this type for the J frame and/or knows that its' available for the LCR, let me know.

My Shaggy does not work well for the revolvers but I have had good reports on the Gestalt for the J-Frames and LCR.

s0nspark
09-04-2016, 04:20 AM

I think that was supposed to be "their" ...

OnionsAndDragons
09-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Ok, sounds like Dark Star it is! AIWB is new to me. I'm used to OWB carry so please forgive my ignorance. I'll check them out! Thanks guys!

His Facebook and Instagram will give you a better idea of the holsters than the DSG website.

Imaposer2
09-04-2016, 02:31 PM
My Shaggy does not work well for the revolvers but I have had good reports on the Gestalt for the J-Frames and LCR.

Thanks for the suggestion. Would you, or anyone, happen to know where I might find pictures of such an animal? The revolver version, I mean.

His Facebook and Instagram will give you a better idea of the holsters than the DSG website.

Thanks for the tip. I've been to the site several times but didn't see much in the way of pictures or details. Not a huge social media guy so never even thought to check those places...

Wondering Beard
09-04-2016, 02:38 PM
I think that was supposed to be "their" ...

That would make sense.

Thierry. It's French for the name Terry I believe.

Which is why it confused me as the word used before 'customer service'
Actually, re. french v english, I used to think so too, but it actually isn't. It's two different names that just get interchanged because they sound the same.

orionz06
09-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Would you, or anyone, happen to know where I might find pictures of such an animal? The revolver version, I mean.

Thanks for the tip. I've been to the site several times but didn't see much in the way of pictures or details. Not a huge social media guy so never even thought to check those places...

So I've taken more "proper" pics for other companies and other outlets than I have my own website. I know I've likely lost some sales but social media is the overwhelming majority of my customer base anyway that it's been hard to justify efforts on things other than orders or training folks. That said... I have a webstore started and some pics taken today for some new stuff and will post up more later. Our new AIWB is gonna be live for P-F folk soon and I'll be tossing a few out for auction here as well.

okiwen
09-05-2016, 06:04 AM

Sorry. Typing on a tab A and it does as it pleases. "Their" customer service is very slow. I like the product line, but dread dealing with the reps.

Ob1sbo
09-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Dark Star Gear Holsters are anything but "any other Kydex holster" I doubt if any other maker(my self included) puts as much thought and effort into their holsters as Tom.

I second that 100%
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/f6bacf8357a09cf732260e40fed1c01e.jpg
I currently run a Dark Star gear exclusively. The only change is I added washers for a "fuck you" level of retention (cuz I like the tight leather feel).

James_f
09-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Orionz06, do you have a P30SK mold? I'm thinking about trying that AIWB.

JCS
09-06-2016, 02:14 PM
So awhile back I purchased a jmck wing holster for a Glock 19 with the intention of carrying a 26 in it. After trying every combination of pants and belts I had it just wasn't for me.
I have to commend Tony for his incredible customer service. I sent it back to him once and he paid both ways shipping. Eventually I decided I just couldn't make it work and rather than being stuck with a holster I couldn't use, he offered me to exchange it for a different model.

I went with the George and it was just what I needed for the 26. I have the regular for a 19 and these two holsters are just what I needed.

I can't recommend him enough even if it's just for customer service. Before I ordered the wing holster I had purchased a holster from T. rex arms and they said it couldn't be returned because it was "custom".

I shouldn't have strayed from the legit makers. Lesson learned for me and I hope others don't make the mistake I did.

Long story short, Jmck will make sure you get the right holster you need!

Steve m
09-15-2016, 02:28 PM
help with AIWB Carry,
I have a JM custom AIWB carry holster for my g-19 and my g-17. I can't seem to get them comfortable. I have tried pants with bigger waists and moving the holster around. I have found that for me I just cant find/get a position that is comfortable.

Tony Mayer
09-15-2016, 02:34 PM
help with AIWB Carry,
I have a JM custom AIWB carry holster for my g-19 and my g-17. I can't seem to get them comfortable. I have tried pants with bigger waists and moving the holster around. I have found that for me I just cant find/get a position that is comfortable.

Steve, do you have a neoprene wedge or extra tuck? What loops do you have? Which design do you have?

Thanks

Steve m
09-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Tony,

Thanks for the reply,
I have the soft loops on the 19 holster and the split loop on the 17. Booth holsters have neither the extra tuck or a foam wedge. if I am standing the holsters are great sitting ok, but rubs between thigh area and the nether region.

W/R
Steve

Tony Mayer
09-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Tony,

Thanks for the reply,
I have the soft loops on the 19 holster and the split loop on the 17. Booth holsters have neither the extra tuck or a foam wedge. if I am standing the holsters are great sitting ok, but rubs between thigh area and the nether region.

W/R
Steve

Steve, try the neoprene wedge, it will raise the muzzle portion off your body and should be more comfortable and help with concealment. You have two sets of holes in the body of the holster as well and can try raising the ride height up a bit as well. Neoprene wedges go out every couple days FYI.

Thanks

StraitR
09-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Tony,

Thanks for the reply,

W/R
Steve

Steve,

Tony nailed it below. Getting the hard plastic away from your body with the neoprene wedges will make a huge difference in comfort, and simultaneously point the gun away from you (good thing) and tuck the top (also a good thing). Raising it may also help comfort, although I've always carried a 19 in a 17 holster, so I can't comment about the stability of the shorter 19 holster. I prefer mine a little higher which provides additional room to get a grip, the comfort thing is a plus.

I'd also suggest small tweaks in positioning. If it's poking you in the thigh, try moving it a 1/2" or even a 1/4" towards your centerline. There is almost always that perfect spot when it comes to AIWB comfort, it's just a matter of messing with positioning until you find it.

Something few people mention when discussing comfort, is the impact our clothing choices have as well as body type. I have a lower waistline, so I have to be pretty selective about pants/jeans/shorts in terms of how low they're cut. I mean, who doesn't love a good pair of hip huggers (Luke can kill some), but we all have to make our sacrifices.

Good luck

Steve, try the neoprene wedge, it will raise the muzzle portion off your body and should be more comfortable and help with concealment. You have two sets of holes in the body of the holster as well and can try raising the ride height up a bit as well. Neoprene wedges go out every couple days FYI.

Thanks

blues
09-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Just to add a comment to Craig's, I use the 19 holster for my 19 and 26 and it suits me fine. Unlike Craig, however, I am more high waisted and long legged. So the degree of comfort may come down to torso length (or not).

The good thing is that Tony will give you a couple of weeks to determine if the holster works for you so there's really no risk involved.

Trajan
09-17-2016, 08:09 PM
From what I have encountered, the longer the holster, the more specific the placement has to be. If using a long holsters, the muzzle area has to follow your pelvic crease.

I've tried foam pads, doesn't do anything to a well placed holster. Placed well, you won't feel it.

voodoo_man
10-26-2016, 04:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x1nClCv.jpg (http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/10/darkstargear-aiwb-holster.html)

blues
10-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Nice!

Rich@CCC
10-26-2016, 06:58 PM
That's an eye opener!

ScottR65
10-26-2016, 08:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x1nClCv.jpg (http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/10/darkstargear-aiwb-holster.html)

Looks like a Denver Broncos orange and a KnightfallCustoms.com AIWB holster. I love both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ob1sbo
10-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Looks like a Denver Broncos orange and a KnightfallCustoms.com AIWB holster. I love both!

Pretty sure thats a dark star gear no?

voodoo_man
10-27-2016, 05:44 AM

The two actually don't look anything like each other..

voodoo_man
10-28-2016, 12:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/K60yhsal.jpg (http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/10/most-dsg-aiwb.html)

blues
10-28-2016, 12:51 PM
What are your impressions so far, VM?

voodoo_man
10-28-2016, 03:03 PM
What are your impressions so far, VM?

I don't like the audible click, but that is personal preference and I don't expect others to share in it.

Other than that it is pretty much among the best aiwb holsters I've ever worn.

I think once I add a wedge it'll be damn near perfect.

JCS
10-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Voodoo what is your body type?

voodoo_man
10-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Voodoo what is your body type?

6' 200 athletic

Nephrology
11-06-2016, 06:13 AM
What belts do people here like for AIWB? I currently have an Ares Ranger but would like something just a little less stiff so it isn't digging into the bones of my pelvis so egregiously...

CSW
11-06-2016, 06:33 AM
What belts do people here like for AIWB? I currently have an Ares Ranger but would like something just a little less stiff so it isn't digging into the bones of my pelvis so egregiously...

Whether a 1.5", or 1.75", the Wilderness instructor's belt has been my belt of choice for as long as they have been making them.
Tried the Frequent Flyer, didn't care for it.
Tried a 511, didn't like it either.

punkey71
11-06-2016, 06:51 AM

I've moved away from the ultra stiff belts for AIWB and really like the comfort of Volund Atlas SLIM belts. Doesn't dig and the slight sag makes AIWB more comfortable for me.

Don't let "sag" scare you. It's just an ever so slight forgiveness where the holster sits on the belt line. It's not sloppy or loose. Just comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161106/022ae3d5e83f8e4c0e750008243c5ea1.jpg

voodoo_man
11-06-2016, 07:44 AM
I've moved away from the ultra stiff belts for AIWB and really like the comfort of Volund Atlas SLIM belts. Doesn't dig and the slight sag makes AIWB more comfortable for me.

Don't let "sag" scare you. It's just an ever so slight forgiveness where the holster sits on the belt line. It's not sloppy or loose. Just comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161106/022ae3d5e83f8e4c0e750008243c5ea1.jpg

I have found that a little bit of sag goes a long when dealing with comfort...

blues
11-06-2016, 08:29 AM

I've been using my old 1.5" Aker B21 belts from back in the middle to late 90's. They were recommended to me by David Elderton of Ky-Tac back then and I've not been disappointed. (One is steel lined and the other polymer.) They've changed a little cosmetically and the price is higher than it was back then but if the quality is the same I'd recommend them if you like using a leather belt that can be worn with most casual attire.

I don't find that either of mine dig in anywhere when worn. Quite the opposite, in fact.

bornandraisedlv
11-06-2016, 10:10 AM

This is my go to belt for aiwb with just about the same amount of "sag". That allows for the holster to find its home on my body which makes it more comfortable and conceals better. As mentioned it is not sloppy at all.

troydobe
11-06-2016, 07:15 PM
So I want to get started with Aiwb. I moved my iwb looper to Aiwb position with a blue gun for several hours a couple of times. Felt promising, but now need to order a real Aiwb. So how do you spec your first Aiwb with no prior comparison. What ride height, what cant, what loops, what shield height, with or without wing, with or without wedge. etc. And of course what brand and model. I'm 5'4" and wear 34x29 pant. Over 60, but still trying to teach an old dog new tricks. I'm left handed, so not practical to borrow one from friends. Any advice, appreciated.

bornandraisedlv
11-06-2016, 11:53 PM
So I want to get started with Aiwb. I moved my iwb looper to Aiwb position with a blue gun for several hours a couple of times. Felt promising, but now need to order a real Aiwb. So how do you spec your first Aiwb with no prior comparison. What ride height, what cant, what loops, what shield height, with or without wing, with or without wedge. etc. And of course what brand and model. I'm 5'4" and wear 34x29 pant. Over 60, but still trying to teach an old dog new tricks. I'm left handed, so not practical to borrow one from friends. Any advice, appreciated.

Well what I did was literally read every single post in this thread and at the time 2 threads about JMCK and compare them to what I thought was important to me, my personal needs and body type. All of this brought me to JMCK's regula aiwb but then came the claw and I went with that. That didn't work for me so I then went with the George which worked well for me and did the job for a few months. But I was always looking for something that might tuck a little more and less belt line bulge. Then Tony released the claw 2.0 and I immediately ordered one. Just past the week mark of using it and do not see myself looking any further for a new aiwb any time soon.

Honestly I would go with the new wing claw 2.0 from JMCK with a neoprene wedge and also a Volund Gearworks atlas slim belt. I find it to be the best combo for me and I had a hard time finding the right combo.

Every one is slightly different and what works for me might not be the right fit for you but I think this is a pretty damn good start.

OnionsAndDragons
11-07-2016, 12:03 AM

If you shoot Glock, buy an Eidolon kit. It's really a great way to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

If you don't shoot Glock, read all the stuff and see what seems to work best for folks that fit your profile. Then contact Tony at JM, Rich at CCC or Tom at DSG and ask for their measured opinion before placing your order. That's going to get you the best outcome on average.

Larry Sellers
11-07-2016, 08:51 AM
I run the Wilderness FF belt for appendix and it used to be a bit tricky with positioning with the buckle and centerline. I finally moved the buckle to the midline and clipped the JM 1.5" clip on and ran the tail over the clip and velcro the excess down. It gives it enough play or sag and makes it work perfectly with just a small piece of moleskin against my body.

ScottR65
11-07-2016, 11:24 AM

You need the claw to hold the grip against your torso - otherwise regular IWB holsters allow the grip to sag forward a bit. Check out knightfallcustoms.com
I have been using it with my GLOCK 19 - fantastic. Oh and my belt is one of my Hank's double leather with Kydex and nylon lining, 1.5".

JAD
11-07-2016, 11:34 AM
AIWB is really not a one-size fits all thing, so I'd be surprised if anyone feels they can make a recommendation that guarantees that you will be completely satisfied. I do think there's a general consensus that for most people, and most guns, the JMCK AIWB, full shield, no extra tuck, with foam thingee, seems to work very well. If nothing else they're very easy to resell.

Balisong
11-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Well what I did was literally read every single post in this thread and at the time 2 threads about JMCK and compare them to what I thought was important to me, my personal needs and body type. All of this brought me to JMCK's regula aiwb but then came the claw and I went with that. That didn't work for me so I then went with the George which worked well for me and did the job for a few months. But I was always looking for something that might tuck a little more and less belt line bulge. Then Tony released the claw 2.0 and I immediately ordered one. Just past the week mark of using it and do not see myself looking any further for a new aiwb any time soon.

Honestly I would go with the new wing claw 2.0 from JMCK with a neoprene wedge and also a Volund Gearworks atlas slim belt. I find it to be the best combo for me and I had a hard time finding the right combo.

Every one is slightly different and what works for me might not be the right fit for you but I think this is a pretty damn good start.

I've had a JMCK wing claw on order for about a month and a half, but I don't know anything about a 2.0. What's the difference?

alohadoug
11-07-2016, 02:00 PM
For those with experience carrying the Beretta 92FS, what level (if any guard) do you prefer? I'm looking at ordering one from Tony (my first) and that's the only thing I haven't decided on.

Thanks
Doug

Mirolynmonbro
11-07-2016, 02:18 PM
I've had a JMCK wing claw on order for about a month and a half, but I don't know anything about a 2.0. What's the difference?

The 2.0 has dual clips and claw, looks almost like an Eidolon. There are pictures on the new website

Balisong
11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
The 2.0 has dual clips and claw, looks almost like an Eidolon. There are pictures on the new website

So is that the only difference, the 2 loops vs the single clip? That's all I'm able to see on the pics, and there's no listing of a "2.0", just the option of 2 loops or single clip etc....

luckyman
11-07-2016, 06:50 PM
So is that the only difference, the 2 loops vs the single clip? That's all I'm able to see on the pics, and there's no listing of a "2.0", just the option of 2 loops or single clip etc....

I'd say this data belongs better in one of the "JM Custom Kydex" threads, but having said that...
-You need to check out the "Custom Proudcuts- AIWB Wing Claw 2.0", it doesn't have a preview pic yet, but once you drill down there are pics.
-they actually use 2 different claws, both from RCS. That makes the profile a little different; as Tony puts it "the 2.0 has more material down under the dust cover"
-Note the location of the 2 J-hooks on the 2.0 is such that the holster is a little thinner right next to the slide, where a little change might make a significant difference.

Balisong
11-07-2016, 11:47 PM
I'd say this data belongs better in one of the "JM Custom Kydex" threads, but having said that...
-You need to check out the "Custom Proudcuts- AIWB Wing Claw 2.0", it doesn't have a preview pic yet, but once you drill down there are pics.
-they actually use 2 different claws, both from RCS. That makes the profile a little different; as Tony puts it "the 2.0 has more material down under the dust cover"
-Note the location of the 2 J-hooks on the 2.0 is such that the holster is a little thinner right next to the slide, where a little change might make a significant difference.

Thanks man. Next time I'm on the computer I'll take a closer look at his website and if there are any more questions I'll go to his dealer forum on here.

luckyman
11-08-2016, 01:24 AM
Thanks man. Next time I'm on the computer I'll take a closer look at his website and if there are any more questions I'll go to his dealer forum on here.

Oh dang it I probably came across wrong. Did that once before and scared someone away. I was just idly thinking out loud about one of the specific threads (not even vendor threads, just one of the JM threads) would have been better than the sticky. Buts a) it's not important and b)none of my damned business anyway. Forum participation in general is much more important I'm sure. Glad to see you took the comment fairly well.

Balisong
11-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Oh dang it I probably came across wrong. Did that once before and scared someone away. I was just idly thinking out loud about one of the specific threads (not even vendor threads, just one of the JM threads) would have been better than the sticky. Buts a) it's not important and b)none of my damned business anyway. Forum participation in general is much more important I'm sure. Glad to see you took the comment fairly well.

No worries, I didn't take it that way at all. I actually debated with myself taking the question to a "JM" thread or asking it here. I appreciate the info and I'll loo into it a bit more....

JonnyVain
11-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Made another aiwb, this time for the shield. One challenge on a small gun is if the clip is mounted too close to the trigger guard, the retention doesn't work right. Gun will be hard to draw but still wiggle a lot in the holster. Solved this by mounting the top of the clip only into the top kydex layer.

jeep45238
12-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Recently received a JMC George for my p226. It's a long gun, but quite a bit shorter than the Beretta 92 I was carrying. The 92 was just too damn long for me. The George however, makes for a wonderful 226 carry, especially with the flush fitting 15 round mags vs slightly extended 18 round mags. I spend 11 hours driving during half the week as well with no complaints.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/abb5eb839ce99e2cdbd26e8fb87e6e26.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/2b4bc63990caa14ffeea4286894c8ba4.jpg

Shirt isn't a loosely goosed either.

SCSU74
12-20-2016, 10:30 AM
For those using Wilderness belts, do you prefer the 3 or 5 stitch for AIWB? Will be using it with a 228 in a JM. Thanks in advance.

CSW
12-20-2016, 12:20 PM
For those using Wilderness belts, do you prefer the 3 or 5 stitch for AIWB? Will be using it with a 228 in a JM. Thanks in advance.

When I carried behind the hip, the 5 stitch worked best for me.
Now, appendix, the 1.75" 3 stitch is all I need.
*Walther P 99 for reference.

OnionsAndDragons
12-20-2016, 01:04 PM

I find that the 3-stitch level of stiffness is better. Maybe even a smidge less rigid would be even better, but it gets the job done.

voodoo_man
12-20-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't prefer the wilderness for aiwb. Specifically because the buckle and hook/loop take up too much space and i find myself moving the buckle over to the side.

Wondering Beard
12-20-2016, 01:34 PM

5 Stitch.

I have found no need to have the belt be less stiff than when I carried strong side, and actually with my middle aged man "soft middle", the stiffness keeps things very nicely in place.

Wondering Beard
12-20-2016, 01:36 PM
I don't prefer the wilderness for aiwb. Specifically because the buckle and hook/loop take up too much space and i find myself moving the buckle over to the side.

It's a body type thing, I guess, as the buckle doesn't affect space or concealment on me.

voodoo_man
12-20-2016, 03:56 PM
It's a body type thing, I guess, as the buckle doesn't affect space or concealment on me.

I also always carry a blade. So both appendix position areas are a consideration for me.

Wondering Beard
12-20-2016, 04:38 PM
I do too, though horizontally just left of the buckle, maybe that makes a difference.

blues
12-20-2016, 04:40 PM
I do too, though horizontally just left of the buckle, maybe that makes a difference.

I'm glad I live in the country where I can avoid all these knife fights. The lynchings, not so much. ;)

(That said, I most always have one of my neck knives on a bead chain.)

voodoo_man
12-20-2016, 04:58 PM

Ahh the horizontal carry...see if it was supposed to be carried that way the samurai would have done it...right? :D

I'm glad I live in the country where I can avoid all these knife fights. The lynchings, not so much. ;)

(That said, I most always have one of my neck knives on a bead chain.)

The point of carrying a knife isn't to get into a knife fight, only a crazy person wants to be in a knife fight.

No, the point is to make sure the other guy gets into a knife fight.

blues
12-20-2016, 05:05 PM
The point of carrying a knife isn't to get into a knife fight, only a crazy person wants to be in a knife fight.

Tell me about it. When I was 18 and intervened in a situation where a woman was screaming and being held in a room by a guy with a knife, I foolishly parried his swing with my left hand instead of stepping back. Result, fortunately, was only having a portion of the tip of my left index finger grafted back together with the piece that flew across the room.

Wondering Beard
12-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Ahh the horizontal carry...see if it was supposed to be carried that way the samurai would have done it...right? :D

If they'd had guns they would have :-)

indeed and to the point.

ClintHall
12-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Last month I bought a Safariland 27 for the P228 and couldn't make make the J-hook stay in place, like other guys have reported here. For my height (5' 8") it's also a bit long; I think it's made to also fit a P226.

In any event, I just received a Safariland #18 for the P228. It's a plastic IWB with split pull-the dot-loops that are adjustable for both forward and reverse cant. With a slight reverse cant and worn at 1130 (I'm a lefty) it hides the P228 well under a thick XL t-shirt. A sweater or tail-out button-up makes it disappear. Initial impressions are that this will do just fine as a "test bed" holster--at least until the JMCK AIWB 2.0 arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mmc45414
01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
I am brand new to AIWB (got the JMCK for Shield 45 a couple weeks ago), but have been using the Wilderness belts for decades. I have been threading the FF belt "backwards" to put the hook, loop and tail on the other side. Not ultimate but another option.

OnionsAndDragons
01-05-2017, 07:26 AM
I am brand new to AIWB (got the JMCK for Shield 45 a couple weeks ago), but have been using the Wilderness belts for decades. I have been threading the FF belt "backwards" to put the hook, loop and tail on the other side. Not ultimate but another option.

This is very common. Some switch sides as you have, others just find a spot off-center of the body to position the buckle area. There is a sweet spot for every belt, it seems.

Mine w a frequent flier belt tends to be buckle at 10 o'clock. I'm right handed.

LOKNLOD
01-05-2017, 10:33 AM
This is very common. Some switch sides as you have, others just find a spot off-center of the body to position the buckle area. There is a sweet spot for every belt, it seems.

Mine w a frequent flier belt tends to be buckle at 10 o'clock. I'm right handed.

I put my FF buckle at about 2-2:30. There's a sweet spot for me where it isn't over my pocket (obstructing access), but if I push it towards 3:00 it rides on my hipbone uncomfortably after a while. With the buckle at 10, does the tail of the belt point towards your back or centerline?

OnionsAndDragons
01-05-2017, 11:42 AM
I put my FF buckle at about 2-2:30. There's a sweet spot for me where it isn't over my pocket (obstructing access), but if I push it towards 3:00 it rides on my hipbone uncomfortably after a while. With the buckle at 10, does the tail of the belt point towards your back or centerline?

I actually switch it up depending on the mag carrier and knife combo I am wearing at the time. :)

Currently running the JRC wing carrier and a clinch pick with a metal clip. That setup works best with the tail running over the hip towards the back. If I use a clip on kydex carrier I like to run the tail over it for added security.

I think we have the same issue with point of the hip as far as the buckle goes. Just the little double up area on my Volund Ghook belt will drive me nuts if it is over my hip point!

After I acquire a Ryker ankle med pack, next piece of kit on my list is a couple of the Mastermind Tactics EDC belts.

blues
01-05-2017, 11:47 AM
I actually switch it up depending on the mag carrier and knife combo I am wearing at the time. :)

Currently running the JRC wing carrier and a clinch pick with a metal clip. That setup works best with the tail running over the hip towards the back. If I use a clip on kydex carrier I like to run the tail over it for added security.

I think we have the same issue with point of the hip as far as the buckle goes. Just the little double up area on my Volund Ghook belt will drive me nuts if it is over my hip point!

After I acquire a Ryker ankle med pack, next piece of kit on my list is a couple of the Mastermind Tactics EDC belts.

I have a couple and they've proven excellent so far with JMCK and DSG holsters carrying G19 and 26 as the occasion warrants.

I recommend getting the keeper for the extra buck and a half. It helps mitigate any issues with a belt loop which might otherwise only allow an inch or so of velcro connection. Haven't had any issues without the keeper but it's nice having that little bit of insurance and it adds no bulk or printing.

jmadren
01-06-2017, 04:20 PM
I am considering appendix carry and have a question ..... is a hammer fired DA/SA considered to be safer than a striker fired, or does it really matter if one is following safe holstering techniques? Why?

Thanks

RJ
01-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I am considering appendix carry and have a question ..... is a hammer fired DA/SA considered to be safer than a striker fired, or does it really if one is following safe holstering techniques? Why?

Thanks

I'm a complete noob, but 'for me' a hammer fired (or Gadget-Glock) allows me to ride the hammer with my thumb into the holster.

I've started to insert a hard break, just at the point the muzzle arrives outside the holster top, and watch the gun into the holster checking for obstructions.

Leroy Suggs
01-06-2017, 05:34 PM
I am considering appendix carry and have a question ..... is a hammer fired DA/SA considered to be safer than a striker fired, or does it really matter if one is following safe holstering techniques? Why?

Thanks

A lot of discussion about hammer vs striker aiwb on the forum. You can look around a bit and easily find it. (I am too dumb to link)

I carry a Glock 17 aiwb myself.

Mjolnir
01-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Thanks

It's mechanically intrinsically more safe to have a DA/SA or an LEM trigger or Single Action with external safety (1911) than the Striker-Fired trigger of, say, an HK VP9 or Glock. This should be obvious.

The shooter and his equipment (holster) will determine whether or not this type of carry is "dangerous" or "safe". Some will be safer than others.

Strive to be safe and recognize that firearms are, by default, potentially dangerous. That's why you have it.

blues
01-06-2017, 05:53 PM
A lot of discussion about hammer vs striker aiwb on the forum. You can look around a bit and easily find it. (I am too dumb to link)

I carry a Glock 17 aiwb myself.

Given your choice of footwear nobody's gonna notice the gun. ;)

Leroy Suggs
01-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Given your choice of footwear nobody's gonna notice the gun. ;)

;) They keep me from falling over.;)

YVK
01-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Thanks

No, it doesn't matter if one is following safe holstering and draw techniques. It is a matter of additional safety margins and safety redundancies, value of which is an individual decision. My analogy is four firearms safety rules. Don't really need four, do we? "Don't shoot shit that needs no shooting" should be sufficient. Yet, we accept and use four, as an overlapping redundancy, hoping that this will further decrease a likelihood of someone getting shot.

Here's a visual example of this extra margin that I pointed out in another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjhIftpKS8A&sns=em

Post #17 by GJM in Gabe's class announcement, second video is one of me shooting a last standard test in Gabe's class. Good example of how NOT to reholster in AIWB. I am clearly not in a hard break mode and I am not looking in the holster. However, I am sure as hell pressing down on that hammer on my LEM gun making paying a high price for the above error a lot less likely. Just an example how redundancies help in acute cases of stupidity.

Mirolynmonbro
01-31-2017, 07:10 AM
What non AIWB magazine pouch are you all using for AIWB carry? I carry AIWB most of the time but my magazine pouch is on my 9-10oclock. When I draw from AIWB my shirt's hem gets caught on the bottom of the mag pouch. I have a blue force gear and a JMCK pouch. I was thinking of trying the new Raven concealment carrier because it has that slanted cut out at the front and looks like the shirt won't get stuck with that.

Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions? Here's an exaggerated pic of my pulling my shirt up and how my shirt gets caught on the mag pouch. It happens more often with the BFG ten speed probably due to the gripped material on the bottom.

What usually happens is the pouch restricts the ROM I can pull my shirt up, or after I draw and go for a reload the shirt hem is still caught on the pouch and I have to yank the hem off and then clear my shirt for the reload

Pic with the JMCK mag pouch- https://imgur.com/a/N3EkF

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CSW
01-31-2017, 07:29 AM
I use a CCC versa-mag carrier, on my right hip [I'm lefty].
I tried an IWB/appendix style mag carrier from KSG, but I couldn't wear it as comfortably as the OWB Versa-mag carrier.
Rich's stuff is top notch!

http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/VersaMag-Carrier_p_30.html

Mirolynmonbro
01-31-2017, 08:25 AM
The CCC carrier looks a lot like the JMCK one I have. I think I will have the same problem with that one too. I was thinking a pancake style mag pouch would be closer to my body and wouldn't let my t-shirt get caught on the bottom of it

JCS
01-31-2017, 08:33 AM
http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/Basic-Mag-Carrier_p_18.html

I recently converted to owb carry for a mag pouch and this one is awesome. I started with a cheapo bladetech and it was always getting caught.

It's my understanding that Todd Green helped design it. It's so tiny and hasn't once caught my shirt. It's rounded at the bottom which I think helps with it.

Rich@CCC
01-31-2017, 09:40 AM
The BMC has no extra material anywhere. The absolute barest minimum to securely hold the magazine. Sort of going IWB(look at my VersaMag carrier), no magazine carrier that I've seen is tighter to the body. There are many that are just as tight to be sure, and I'm sure most are quality.

1776 is correct that Todd was key in refining the design. As a mater of fact, when He started with the 1911s I made him some BMCs and went with a squared bottom because of easier manufacturing process on the assumption that the thinner magazine would not catch up on cover garment they way the double stack carriers did before I started rounding the bottom. Wrong!

He requested the rounded bottom edge and gave me the Thumbs Up on the carrier after the mod.

Mirolynmonbro
01-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Thanks Rich. Your BMC sounds like a good solution. Do you know if the belt loop will fit a mean gene leather belt? Or should I add the dimensions in the comment section?

Rich@CCC
01-31-2017, 01:00 PM
They are set up to fit a fairly thick double layer leather gun belt but having the actual dimensions never hurts.

TAZ
01-31-2017, 01:10 PM
I've not had good luck with IWB mag carriers, so I've stuck with OWB on that front. Use a CompTac single carrier most of the time as well as a Ready Tactical mag pouch. Both work well for me, although the Ready Tactical is set up for really thick belts so if you're running something like an instructor belt it may be a bit off the body.

The CCC BMC looks pretty low profile and sturdy.

Wondering Beard
01-31-2017, 02:25 PM
What non AIWB magazine pouch are you all using for AIWB carry? I carry AIWB most of the time but my magazine pouch is on my 9-10oclock. When I draw from AIWB my shirt's hem gets caught on the bottom of the mag pouch. I have a blue force gear and a JMCK pouch. I was thinking of trying the new Raven concealment carrier because it has that slanted cut out at the front and looks like the shirt won't get stuck with that.

Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions? Here's an exaggerated pic of my pulling my shirt up and how my shirt gets caught on the mag pouch. It happens more often with the BFG ten speed probably due to the gripped material on the bottom.

What usually happens is the pouch restricts the ROM I can pull my shirt up, or after I draw and go for a reload the shirt hem is still caught on the pouch and I have to yank the hem off and then clear my shirt for the reload

I imagine that your picture is a bit exagerrated to more easily show what actually happens. However, for your mag pouch to get caught up, your polo needs to get pulled at least some to the right, which makes me think that when you are pulling up up your polo in order to access your gun, you might also be pulling it to the right with your weak hand; you are using both hands to pull up the covering garment, I think?. Your solution might just lie in observing the movements you make with your weak hand when you begin your draw and perhaps changing them so that your polo does not get pulled to the right and maybe rather even a little to the left.

The above is not to discount at all the possible need to get a less obtrusive mag pouch, only to make you observe your actual movements in more detail. It may turn out that you do everything right and the problem is purely equipment related but my experience tells me that a proper change in technique, more often than not, gets things straightened out.

As always, the value of my observation is worth exactly what you paid for it. :-)

P.S.: or maybe you use a polo shirt that just doesn't work with your equipment?

Mirolynmonbro
01-31-2017, 03:00 PM
I use my left hand to pull my shirt up directly above the firearm, which is around 12:30- 1 o clock. I can take a closer look to see if I'm pulling to the right but I'm pretty sure I pull straight up

masternave
01-31-2017, 03:52 PM
I ran a class recently with both the JMCK AIWB-PT and a weak-side JMCK mag pouch. On a perfect day and flat range draw, I never got hung up on the mag pouch. However I would wind up with my shirt hung up on the 9'o clock pouch in compromised positions and ground work. I'm really tempted by the slimmer topology of the CCC basic pouch... but trying to make myself not buy new things. :-P

Mirolynmonbro
02-01-2017, 09:58 AM
I put an order for the CCC pouch. If it arrives in time for my Frank Proctor class I'll get some really good training time with it

octagon
02-08-2017, 03:58 PM
I am looking into trying out AIWB carry. I would appreciate suggestions and guidance on equipment,positioning and mechanics of practice for comfort and concealment such as cover garment and draw stroke.

I am a bigger guy(5'10" 240). I have carried IWB at 3:30-4 o' clock position with leather(Milt Sparks EX companion)various Kydex IWB (MTAC,NTAC,Bladetech etc..) and currently hybrid IWB (Whitehat,Crossbreed) I have carried this way everyday for 23 years using a Glock 23. I am retired (LEO) and my usual attire is loose cut jeans,shoes,tucked in poly blend T shirt with similar untucked outside T shirt for concealment cover in warmer weather. In cooler weather(Michigan and Ohio cold) I wear Fleece zip up or Carhart or GoreTex shell or combine both when it really gets cold but not often.

I am considering the change as I can see some benefits of speed of draw,weak hand draw ease,possible spare mag carry on centerline, as well as less obvious/more efficient closed front cover garb draw.

I have several different gun belts. Daltech force Indestructibelt in buckle-less and regular with buckle,5 11 kydex reinforced leather, nylon reinforced with kydex riggers style belt and standard Magpul Tejas El Burro.

GAP
02-09-2017, 10:51 AM
I am looking into trying out AIWB carry. I would appreciate suggestions and guidance on equipment,positioning and mechanics of practice for comfort and concealment such as cover garment and draw stroke.

I am a bigger guy(5'10" 240). I have carried IWB at 3:30-4 o' clock position with leather(Milt Sparks EX companion)various Kydex IWB (MTAC,NTAC,Bladetech etc..) and currently hybrid IWB (Whitehat,Crossbreed) I have carried this way everyday for 23 years using a Glock 23. I am retired (LEO) and my usual attire is loose cut jeans,shoes,tucked in poly blend T shirt with similar untucked outside T shirt for concealment cover in warmer weather. In cooler weather(Michigan and Ohio cold) I wear Fleece zip up or Carhart or GoreTex shell or combine both when it really gets cold but not often.

I am considering the change as I can see some benefits of speed of draw,weak hand draw ease,possible spare mag carry on centerline, as well as less obvious/more efficient closed front cover garb draw.

I have several different gun belts. Daltech force Indestructibelt in buckle-less and regular with buckle,5 11 kydex reinforced leather, nylon reinforced with kydex riggers style belt and standard Magpul Tejas El Burro.

Buy a purpose built AIWB holster with a foam wedge that you can attach at the bottom of the holster with Velcro.

Just to get an idea of feel and placement, you can roll up a thin sock or some other material and tape it to a straight drop Kydex holster then place it in your waistband to find the right spot. Then add an empty gun to the holster to feel the weight. It took me a couple of weeks to really adjust to it when sitting, but now it's more comfortable than carrying strong side for me.

I personally like use the pull the dot loops and straddle the front belt loop slightly off center, others like it in front of that belt loop around 12 o clock. Reload you can do an Appendix pouch, but I think an OWB strong side reload is better. Your clothing will be perfectly fine for concealment. Appendix is the easiest position going for concealment, that's why I switched.

Oh and a "Gadget" or SCD is aweeeeesome for Carrying a Glock Appendix.

octagon
02-09-2017, 11:39 AM
So you are carrying around 12:30 instead of 12 O clock for a right hander?

Any holster suggestions you have tried or liked?

I assume the Gadget or SCD is good for training and initial carry use but I don't want added complexity/parts for long term carry.

blues
02-09-2017, 11:52 AM

I assume the Gadget or SCD is good for training and initial carry use but I don't want added complexity/parts for long term carry.

I can highly recommend the holsters built by Dark Star Gear and JM Custom Kydex. (There are several others but those are the two I have personal experience with other than holsters dating back to the 90's for the same purpose.)

You'll find that "The Gadget" is largely purchased by experienced rather than inexperienced firearms users and owners. That list includes many currently or previously in the military and law enforcement, firearms instructors and shooters of great ability. It's not an entry level tool, it's a safety tool the relevance of which is never exhausted. Just a friendly FYI.

GAP
02-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Yes, or 1pm.

JM Custom Kydex "George" has worked the best for me so far.

octagon
02-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Searching for info I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYVekHI7fzQ

Does this make sense or no?

Mr. Goodtimes
02-09-2017, 04:43 PM
I've carried in JM and CCC holsters and like them both. I currently carry my G19 in a CCC Shaggy with the leather backer at around 11:30. I currently have the belt clip for convenience but I think I prefer the split belt loops as they allow you to straddle a belt loop, which depending on which pants I'm wearing is a necessity to get the holster in the correct spot.

From what I understand, If you're a plus sized model, fat people usually benefit from carrying more off center and skinny people typically are better carrying closer to midline.

Warped Mindless
02-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Anyone here carry appendix with a trigger guard holster? I'm looking at the raven vanguard 2 as a option for summer carry.

CSW
02-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Anyone here carry appendix with a trigger guard holster? I'm looking at the raven vanguard 2 as a option for summer carry.

I've used the Zacceaus a few times:
I prefer the full size holster more.

s0nspark
02-09-2017, 06:24 PM

I used to use a VG2 and now have a VG3 (the WML version of the VG2...) that I use occasionally when I train with guns other than my primary carry. I have suppressor-height sights on pretty much everything, though, so for me there really is no substitute for a holster with a sight channel LOL

I greatly prefer the ease of reholstering with a regular holster... and the VG2/VG3 both allow the gun to "move around" a bit more than I like for serious carry.

s0nspark
02-09-2017, 06:37 PM

I carry with a WML at around 1 to 1:30 - the side of the light rides in my pelvic crease (wish there was a more Haley-fied way of saying that LOL)

Holster-wise I've personally had the best success with JM Custom Kydex but have also had decent results with the T. Rex Arms Raptor, my current holster. The Raptor will eventually get replaced with a JMCK holster, though, as I am wanting to use the Surefire DG switch on my X300U WML and the Raptor does not support that.

I carry a hammer-fired gun so no Gadget here but if I did carry a striker-fired gun appendix it would absolutely be a Glock, simply so I could make use of the Gadget. I am one who firmly swears by having a secondary level of safety/feedback when reholstering appendix.

I second the advice to experiment. Most find that appendix takes some time and effort to dial in... and don't be discouraged if it takes a holster or two to get there. Starting out with a top tier, purpose built appendix carry holster goes a long way, though.

Wondering Beard
02-09-2017, 07:54 PM

It's a one to one part replacement. No added complexity.

octagon
02-09-2017, 08:06 PM
It's a one to one part replacement. No added complexity.

Doesn't it have a hinge at the top of the slide plate? What holds the extractor spring/strut assembly in place? It sure appears to add parts and moving parts at that. It also opens up the possibility of debris or foreign object entering the action of it. Maybe I am seeing it incorrectly but that is what it looks like.

jeep45238
02-09-2017, 09:43 PM
It has a hinge, but it the flappy part falls off it functions like a standard glock plate. If you're rolling concealed, I wouldn't worry about this at all - if deploying to a desert and openly carrying, it might be smart to take an air hose and give it a blast.

LittleLebowski
02-09-2017, 09:47 PM

I use the Kytex.

http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/glock/glock-172231-mag-carrier/

LittleLebowski
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Doesn't it have a hinge at the top of the slide plate? What holds the extractor spring/strut assembly in place? It sure appears to add parts and moving parts at that. It also opens up the possibility of debris or foreign object entering the action of it. Maybe I am seeing it incorrectly but that is what it looks like.

It has one moving part. It has been tested for over 5 years before going to the public. No one has ever been able to to break one and that's including in ground fighting.

YVK
02-09-2017, 09:51 PM
The moving part is not an issue since if it breaks off, the gadget retains a slide backplate functionality. For the debris, it is a theoretic possibility. Same as with hammer fired guns that are normally at half cocked position such as SIGs (I think) and CZs, 4.1 LEM HKs that move hammer back a little, and, of course, all cocked and locked carried pistols. All of these allow for a very small but finite possibility of stuff getting inside the fire control parts through that small ingress point. None of SCD users, to the best of my knowledge, have reported a problem of that sort but if that concerns you, then it is probably best to avoid it. Confidence in your own equipment is important.

orionz06
02-09-2017, 09:54 PM

The OEM plate has a hole in the back as well, not sure anyone has ever cared about that.

GAP
02-09-2017, 10:06 PM

This video explains it very well. The creator is a member here and his analogy of an airbag is perfect in my opinion.

(If you feel confident without it, no worries, I just think it's such a valuable product and worth a look.)

https://youtu.be/4t69VcNx-58

octagon
02-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Just to clarify I am not slamming or condemning the Gadget. I don't own one and have not personally tried one so until I do I can only bring up points I see from observation of video and my understanding of how it works in conjunction with my understanding of how stock Glocks work. I am a Glock armorer and have been involved in the training of 300 people per year every year for almost 20 years using stock Glocks so I have my own basis for what I consider when altering a stock gun particularly Glocks. This is not to say the device doesn't show merit for further consideration or that it is some how a solution looking for a problem like many other add ons often are. I will give it a fair shake and take the collective experience of others into consideration. I can see both sides to the discussion as in my academy class we had a Glock user shoot himself in the calf when holstering using a military style poncho with slit side pocket openings in the rain. It couldn't be determined if he had his finger on the trigger or the poncho caught it but regardless the outcome was a discharge and resultant injury. At the same time witnessing 100s of mostly non gun people draw,shoot,move,transition etc.. with Glocks in live fire and FoF with Simunitions and not having any NDs I am also fairly confidant that the risk and concern is not huge when balanced with careful, practiced user using stock gun and quality equipment.

Back on topic. No comments about the video or what was presented?

blues
02-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Back on topic. No comments about the video or what was presented?

I'm not a big guy but I checked out the video and apparently it works for him. Bottom line is that with AIWB, as with many things, you'll have to find your own sweet spot that works best for you in terms of comfort, concealment, security and functionality. That may require trying out a few different rigs...

...But as stated above by another poster, buying from a good and reputable maker to begin with increases the odds in your favor.

Rex G
02-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Searching for info I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYVekHI7fzQ

Does this make sense or no?

Welcome to the forum! :)

I am not a fat guy, so cannot comment on the video's relevance. I am at the other end of the spectrum, too slim for AIWB to conceal well, unless I select cover garments very carefully. I actually do AIWB best with revolvers, including some medium/large-frame revolvers; there is a sweet spot for the cylinder in my inguinal crease. (Except for the cylinder, revolvers are quite slim, if thin grips/stocks are used.) Regardless, one must tweak the whole rig to suit one's body shape. At present, I only carry "primary" AIWB in unusual circumstances; AIWB is usually for a second weapon. Retirement is not far away, now, so primary may soon migrate to AIWB, if I can sort-out the comfort and concealment factors.

I have tried quite a few AIWB rigs with G19 and G26 Glocks. I have a Raven Concealment Systems Eidolon, which works OK some of the time, but sometimes the bottom edge pokes me, or I develop a hot spot. The Eidolon has plenty of clearance for a Trijicon RMR, which I will be trying in the next few days. I have not yet exhausted the various options to tweak the Eidolon for comfort. The same maker's AC-R, for a G26, works well. I just took delivery of a JMCK, with the "Extra Tuck" feature molded into the kydex, for the G19, and will testing it. First impressions are good.

Regarding the Gadget, it would be against the rules of my employer, a big-city PD, which only allows a few specified modifications, for any firearm I will carry on or off the clock. I can carry a huge variety of handguns for back-up and during personal time, and several Glocks are OK for duty, but most non-OEM modifications are not approved.

voodoo_man
02-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Am I doing this right?

p/BQY23fag0fq
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQY23fag0fq/

Jac
02-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Am I doing this right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQY23fag0fq/

No #gadget or #taudevgroup hashtags... IG fail.

voodoo_man
02-12-2017, 07:32 PM
No #gadget or #taudevgroup hashtags... IG fail.

You can clearly see a gadget... Though I didn't tag it. You are correct.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-13-2017, 03:54 PM
G19 in a CCC Shaggy and a spare mag in a JM AIWB Mag Carrier. People claim they can't carry a real gun and dress normal...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170213/7c114d7873525f749cc1acaa493afbe6.jpg

Hizzie
02-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I was lazy today. Always surprised by how comfy this rig is whether I'm 185 or pushing 210.

p/BQdf4EhjPcm

Speedloader in each front pocket.

Rex G
02-13-2017, 07:38 PM
I just took delivery of a JMCK George, with Extra Tuck, and the two flexible loops. For a G19-sized Glock, on my generally-slim frame, this is THE ONE. This was a quite long search, trying many different holsters, including several of the darlings of this thread, including a different, somewhat earlier JMCK with Extra Tuck, which was so very close, but not quite there. To be clear, I am not trash-talking about any of these excellent holsters, which are good stuff, just not quite right for my body's dimensions.

Now that I am about to retire from LEO-ing, I need to become less casual about concealment, especially when traveling outside Texas. With a flat belly, and relatively broad shoulders, appendix is not an easy place to conceal a wide-body pistol, whereas I can conceal fairly large artillery just behind the hip. Reaching behind the hip, for the draw, however, is not as easy as it used to be

Some of the holsters that have not worked so well, for me, at appendix, are still quite useful for a secondary/tertiary weapon, worn cross-draw.

blues
02-13-2017, 07:52 PM
I just took delivery of a JMCK George, with Extra Tuck, and the two flexible loops. For a G19-sized Glock, on my generally-slim frame, this is THE ONE. This was a quite long search, trying many different holsters, including several of the darlings of this thread, including a different, somewhat earlier JMCK with Extra Tuck, which was so very close, but not quite there. To be clear, I am not trash-talking about any of these excellent holsters, which are good stuff, just not quite right for my body's dimensions.

Now that I am about to retire from LEO-ing, I need to become less casual about concealment, especially when traveling outside Texas. With a flat belly, and relatively broad shoulders, appendix is not an easy place to conceal a wide-body pistol, whereas I can conceal fairly large artillery just behind the hip. Reaching behind the hip, for the draw, however, is not as easy as it used to be

Some of the holsters that have not worked so well, for me, at appendix, are still quite useful for a secondary/tertiary weapon, worn cross-draw.

Congrats, Rex. It's nice when it all comes together.

Mirolynmonbro
02-14-2017, 06:56 PM

The CCC BMC works great. The same shirts that get caught on my previous mag pouches don't get caught with the CCC carrier.

Quick pic showing how close it sits and how there's no room for my shirt to slide under it. https://imgur.com/a/43rS7

Warped Mindless
02-14-2017, 07:37 PM
I doubt any reliable stats are known but maybe Im wrong and someone can shed some light on a question I have. Im doing reserach for a paper and my question is this:

Of the people who actually conceal carry on a regular basis, what percent of them carries appendix as their primary method of carry? For law enforcement and military personel this question only applies to them when off duty.

Again, I realize there are probably no good stats available but I figure I would ask.

CSW
02-14-2017, 08:39 PM
For a more minute set of stats, start a new thread with a poll, and an explanation of the poll.
It'll at least give you a glimpse of the population here.

jeep45238
02-14-2017, 09:00 PM
I believe voodooman did an in depth poling on this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rex G
02-14-2017, 10:11 PM
I doubt any reliable stats are known but maybe Im wrong and someone can shed some light on a question I have. Im doing reserach for a paper and my question is this:

Of the people who actually conceal carry on a regular basis, what percent of them carries appendix as their primary method of carry? For law enforcement and military personel this question only applies to them when off duty.

Again, I realize there are probably no good stats available but I figure I would ask.

I believe you would get varying total results on different internet forums. Some forums are not very AIWB-friendly, while at least one can be quite unfriendly to anyone who does not embrace AIWB.

Warped Mindless
02-14-2017, 10:42 PM
I believe you would get varying total results on different internet forums. Some forums are not very AIWB-friendly, while at least one can be quite unfriendly to anyone who does not embrace AIWB.

I;m not sure forums are a good representation of the average concealed carry anyways. Usually the ones who seek out and post on gun forums are a bit more serious about it and are more likley to carry appendix.

Soggy
02-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Sponge placement:

Short version: Try placing it low (minimally entirely below the belt) and sideways, with the fat part of the sponge hanging off the side and towards the midline. I find it helps rotate the grip towards the body, without a claw, and is also comfortable.

Long version: I have a Universal from JMCK that I got to try out appendix carry. It convinced me I like appendix carry, but I couldn't find a nice balance of comfort and concealment. When the sponge was lined up with the velcro on the holster the top of the sponge was riding behind the belt, pushing the front of the clip into my shirt. Comfort was 'ok'. When I lowered the sponge 1/2" below the holster the concealment was better w.r.t. the clip, but the grip was more obvious. The 'fat' end was below the holster however, and was uncomfortable when sitting, so I was going to cut it off. Before I did though I started lurking on the "JMCK AIWB with claw" thread to see if that holster would be a better option than the universal. On that thread Tony mentioned that there are no limits to how you can position the sponge, including sideways. That gave me the idea to turn the sponge 90 degrees, with the fat part towards the middle of the body (I wear at ~1 oclock). The skinny part of the sponge is attached to the lowest portion of the Velcro, below the belt. That is what I've been doing for the last couple of months, and it is much more comfortable (for me) and the grip seems to rotate in towards the body more.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Crash41984
02-21-2017, 11:30 AM
I hate when you realize that the solution to an issue is right in front of your face. I'm trying this sponge rotation when I get home tonight.

Soggy
02-22-2017, 12:16 PM
I hate when you realize that the solution to an issue is right in front of your face. I'm trying this sponge rotation when I get home tonight.

Cool. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you try it.

octagon
02-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Just an update on my AIWB experiment. I bought a used JMCK AIWB holster for a Glock 19 from Bobloblaw(great sale experience and fast shipping) Since I received the holster and sponge wedge I have been wearing it around the house with unloaded Glock 23 doing draws,reholsters and dryfire. Most of the time I run with a T shirt for cover garment but some times I run un concealed. I also have been wearing the holster out for my daily 3 mile walks and to a few outings in public(Obviously loaded)

So far it is not working out all that well. I can find a location where the gun is decently concealed but then it is uncomfortable and definitely not well placed for full access to the grip. If I place it where I have full access to the grip and less comfortable but pass-able it prints like mad and when I walk the holster moves causing it to stay with the gun during some draws as the clip doesn't hold the belt. This obviously could be fixed with loops snapped to the belt instead of clip.

I have tried the sponge wedge in different location from all the way up to well off the bottom of the holster. I tried with my belt snug to loose with loose being better. If I wear it at 12 O clock perfectly vertical it prints heavily and is not comfortable. When I move it more toward 1-1:30 and/or angle the grip downward slightly it prints less and is less uncomfortable but still prints quite a bit and comes off the belt during draws. It also is not full access to the grip being blocked by the belt on the bottom and me on the top inner edge.

I can see the benefit if not need for a claw type attachment to help hold the grip in closer to the body. A longer holster as some suggested along with a wedge or larger wedge would help with concealment but likely will hurt grip access even more. I also have been having lower back pain which since I switched back to my usual IWB at 3:30 carry has subsided. I haven't given up trying AIWB but i will need a different holster. I think I will try a skeleton style holster that only covers the trigger guard and try and find what location works for comfort and access. Once i find the location I will try another holster with a claw and wedge.

GAP
02-22-2017, 08:39 PM
Octagon, try to add pull the dot loops and straddle your front most Belt loop (1pm-ish) for a right hander.

Also, move the foam wedge down enough so the top of the wedge is below the bottom of the belt loop. This will be .25 inch or so past the bottom of a G19 length holster.

Angle the foam wedge slightly towards the front sight so when you stand/sit the angle of the foam wedge rides along the crease of your inner thigh. I've found that since I wear mine off center I need to angle the wedge so it doesn't stick straight down into my thigh.

\\ <----- like this (opposite for lefty)

Soggy
02-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Tony - Just got your newsletter, and saw you have holsters for the "Shield 9-40L", or Shield 9-40 Long.

What is a Shield Long? To me it reads like there is an actual Shield with a long slide. Or do you mean the holster is longer than required for a normal shield? I can't believe if it is the former that I've never heard of it.

Thanks,

Soggy

Tony Mayer
02-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Tony - Just got your newsletter, and saw you have holsters for the "Shield 9-40L", or Shield 9-40 Long.

What is a Shield Long? To me it reads like there is an actual Shield with a long slide. Or do you mean the holster is longer than required for a normal shield? I can't believe if it is the former that I've never heard of it.

Thanks,

Soggy

Soggy, it means the holster is longer than the pistol, it aids against roll out, helps concealment, and gets the grip higher above the belt line to facilitate a much better grip.

It's number 11 in the FAQ page.

Thanks

octagon
02-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Octagon, try to add pull the dot loops and straddle your front most Belt loop (1pm-ish) for a right hander.

Also, move the foam wedge down enough so the top of the wedge is below the bottom of the belt loop. This will be .25 inch or so past the bottom of a G19 length holster.

Angle the foam wedge slightly towards the front sight so when you stand/sit the angle of the foam wedge rides along the crease of your inner thigh. I've found that since I wear mine off center I need to angle the wedge so it doesn't stick straight down into my thigh.

\\ <----- like this (opposite for lefty)

I'll give it a try thanks. I had the wedge below the holster about that amount but kept it in line with the holster or straight up and down. Moving toward the 1 O clock does tend to be more comfortable but starts to get into my leg when lifting it(my leg). I'll order some pull dot loops to try it out.

Soggy
02-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Soggy, it means the holster is longer than the pistol, it aids against roll out, helps concealment, and gets the grip higher above the belt line to facilitate a much better grip.

It's number 11 in the FAQ page.

Thanks

Aha. Ok, that is what I thought. Thanks for the quick response!

Warped Mindless
02-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Just an update on my AIWB experiment. I bought a used JMCK AIWB holster for a Glock 19 from Bobloblaw(great sale experience and fast shipping) Since I received the holster and sponge wedge I have been wearing it around the house with unloaded Glock 23 doing draws,reholsters and dryfire. Most of the time I run with a T shirt for cover garment but some times I run un concealed. I also have been wearing the holster out for my daily 3 mile walks and to a few outings in public(Obviously loaded)

So far it is not working out all that well. I can find a location where the gun is decently concealed but then it is uncomfortable and definitely not well placed for full access to the grip. If I place it where I have full access to the grip and less comfortable but pass-able it prints like mad and when I walk the holster moves causing it to stay with the gun during some draws as the clip doesn't hold the belt. This obviously could be fixed with loops snapped to the belt instead of clip.

I have tried the sponge wedge in different location from all the way up to well off the bottom of the holster. I tried with my belt snug to loose with loose being better. If I wear it at 12 O clock perfectly vertical it prints heavily and is not comfortable. When I move it more toward 1-1:30 and/or angle the grip downward slightly it prints less and is less uncomfortable but still prints quite a bit and comes off the belt during draws. It also is not full access to the grip being blocked by the belt on the bottom and me on the top inner edge.

I can see the benefit if not need for a claw type attachment to help hold the grip in closer to the body. A longer holster as some suggested along with a wedge or larger wedge would help with concealment but likely will hurt grip access even more. I also have been having lower back pain which since I switched back to my usual IWB at 3:30 carry has subsided. I haven't given up trying AIWB but i will need a different holster. I think I will try a skeleton style holster that only covers the trigger guard and try and find what location works for comfort and access. Once i find the location I will try another holster with a claw and wedge.

Some advice: Try the raven vanguard 2.

Ive spent more money on appendix holsters than I have on my G19 and none of them worked for me except the raven vanguard 2. Claws, wedges, angled clips, multiple positions and cants, multiple gun belts... Nothing. Im a skinny guy so I dont know why nothing else worked but its whatever.

LittleLebowski
02-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Ive spent more money on appendix holsters than I have on my G19 and none of them worked for me except the raven vanguard 2. Claws, wedges, angled clips, multiple positions and cants, multiple gun belts... Nothing. Im a skinny guy so I dont know why nothing else worked but its whatever.

No offense, but I don't even consider that a holster. You can't train with it, period.

Warped Mindless
02-24-2017, 09:58 AM
No offense, but I don't even consider that a holster. You can't train with it, period.

Fair enough. When im training I just use a regual holster thats set up to ride and cant the same way my vanguard does. Ive found that doing this still allows me to transfer the muscle memory over to the vanguard no problem. Worth considering.

octagon
02-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Fair enough. When im training I just use a regual holster thats set up to ride and cant the same way my vanguard does. Ive found that doing this still allows me to transfer the muscle memory over to the vanguard no problem. Worth considering.

I appreciate the advice. I am the opposite of a skinny guy so that adds to the challenge. I mentioned trying a skeleton style holster mainly to try and determine proper location and angle before moving to a more substantial regular AIWB holster with claw,wedge or other types of concealment aids as possibly helping. I like that the Vanguard II is reasonably priced so I may just give it a try for developing and trying to understand what can work for me in the future before buying more and more expensive holsters in my quest for AIWB carry,concealment and comfort balance.

LittleLebowski
02-24-2017, 10:17 AM
I appreciate the advice. I am the opposite of a skinny guy so that adds to the challenge. I mentioned trying a skeleton style holster mainly to try and determine proper location and angle before moving to a more substantial regular AIWB holster with claw,wedge or other types of concealment aids as possibly helping. I like that the Vanguard II is reasonably priced so I may just give it a try for developing and trying to understand what can work for me in the future before buying more and more expensive holsters in my quest for AIWB carry,concealment and comfort balance.

The Vanguard 2 costs more than a Mastermind AIWB (with wing and foam) shipped.

octagon
02-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Thank you both for pointing that out. I can give another AIWB holster a try and have pull the dot loops to try on the JGCK holster I already have.

Mirolynmonbro
02-26-2017, 01:47 PM
What's the go to for a minimal, tuckable AIWB holster for Glock 43?

I am considering the phlster skeleton with the clip and painting it brown to match my belt, just wish it had a full sweat guard on it

MGW
02-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Tuckable is tough to pull of effectively. You might look at JM Custom or talk to Dark Star.

I gave up on tuckable kydex and went with a Smartcarry if I absolutely have to have a tucked in shirt.

GuanoLoco
02-26-2017, 03:37 PM

I'd suggest the original MIC vs. the Vanguard 2. I found the 'point' of the VG2 to be useless in practice for anything other than poking me in the thigh. +1 on the ease an comfort of the minimalist style or holsters though.

I also like combining them with a GAP Enterprises Concealable Control baseplate that puts a little triangular point on the magazine. I really like these baseplates in general, but when combined with the MIC they sit just over the belt and help keep everythign nicely in place without increasing printing.

These aren't great from a repeated use perspective like a training class but excel for comfort an concealment in NPE's.

Mirolynmonbro
02-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Tuckable is tough to pull of effectively. You might look at JM Custom or talk to Dark Star.

I gave up on tuckable kydex and went with a Smartcarry if I absolutely have to have a tucked in shirt.
I have a "thunder wear" and I've only been able to manage a small amount of concealment with a jframe and black gym pants. I don't think I have the build or pants to pull it off.

The good news is the tuckable 43 will only be used for weddings and fancy dates. Nothing extremely NPEish

orionz06
02-26-2017, 04:17 PM

I've not found a tuckable option that frankly wasn't a piece of shit with it's own issues. Smart Carry, especially for the limited use, is the way to go. All of the clips and struts out there, even the ones that I sell that *happen to work* as a tuckable holster just suck.

Concessions may need to be made but I'd take a J-frame in a pocket even over most of the stuff out there.

orionz06
02-26-2017, 04:21 PM
I have a "thunder wear" and I've only been able to manage a small amount of concealment with a jframe and black gym pants. I don't think I have the build or pants to pull it off.

The good news is the tuckable 43 will only be used for weddings and fancy dates. Nothing extremely NPEish

Try it with the actual dress pants. I don't believe the gym pants have enough structure to aid in concealment.

It might be a build thing but that may also be alleviated with a little DIY that I can walk ya through.

GuanoLoco
02-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Thunderwear didn't work for me (6'0, 175) and my choice of pants. The minimalist hosters like the MIC are easy to do tucked with.

CSW
02-26-2017, 07:25 PM
This is the KSG Sidekick, tucked.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682422/22920671/412830558.jpg

This is the holster :

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682422/22920671/413089879.jpg

Takes a bit of prep while dressing, but hides well.

orionz06
02-26-2017, 07:50 PM
I'm sure Gabe would agree, those clips aren't too secure without a belt.

CSW
02-26-2017, 08:35 PM
I have actually changed them out to pull the dot loops.
Those clips lasted about three days for me.... Had to go.

delkancott
03-11-2017, 07:58 AM
I just wanted to take a minute to post a thank you for the contributors to this thread. As a novice to AIWB, I feel more confident in understanding how to better address security and comfort with regards to appendix carry. I still have an enormous amount to learn, but at least now I can understand the vernacular, parts, designs and quality vendors. Thank you again. Oh, and it took about a week of free time to read all 1696 posts.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 03:25 PM
So, I've been carrying appendix for a couple years. It's been the most comfortable IWB while driving solution, and with an untucked shirt it's relatively easy to conceal something small. But now that I'm carrying a G19 (from a Sig P938) I'm having a lot of trouble finding an appendix carry solution (holster, belt, etc.) that fits my body type.
I'm 6'4" and 185, very lean, and I'm afraid anything bigger than a tube of chapstick has to be holstered behind the hip to conceal it. and I DON'T wear tight fitted shirts.

Recently bought a best-of-the-best holster for AIWB my glock 19, and it's very uncomfortable, and the holster and gun are VERY obvious AIWB.

I've heard many people mention carrying a G19 or similar (and larger) AIWB, and that leaves me curious.
Am I doing it wrong?

orionz06
03-18-2017, 03:33 PM
So, I've been carrying appendix for a couple years. It's been the most comfortable IWB while driving solution, and with an untucked shirt it's relatively easy to conceal something small. But now that I'm carrying a G19 (from a Sig P938) I'm having a lot of trouble finding an appendix carry solution (holster, belt, etc.) that fits my body type.
I'm 6'4" and 185, very lean, and I'm afraid anything bigger than a tube of chapstick has to be holstered behind the hip to conceal it. and I DON'T wear tight fitted shirts.

Recently bought a best-of-the-best holster for AIWB my glock 19, and it's very uncomfortable, and the holster and gun are VERY obvious AIWB.

I've heard many people mention carrying a G19 or similar (and larger) AIWB, and that leaves me curious.
Am I doing it wrong?

There are quite a few variables at play, you might find better luck with a G17 holster. Depending on the holster you may find better luck with a different AIWB feature as well. At your size perhaps a claw would work better than a belt wedge. Might also need a foam wedge.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 03:39 PM
There are quite a few variables at play, you might find better luck with a G17 holster. Depending on the holster you may find better luck with a different AIWB feature as well. At your size perhaps a claw would work better than a belt wedge. Might also need a foam wedge.
Using a G17 holster with claw and wedge, taking the wedge off helps reduce size of the holster but not by much. Holster doesn't have anywhere to go, no matter how tight I make my belt.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

orionz06
03-18-2017, 03:40 PM
What holster?

Craigb
03-18-2017, 03:41 PM
What holster?
JMCK wing claw 2.0
Awesome holster. Just probably not for my body/gun selection

JCS
03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
JMCK wing claw 2.0

I'm almost exactly your body size and I can't hide any of the claw models. They print way too much. JM George seems to be the best for me. I haven't tried the 2.0 though.

PearTree
03-18-2017, 04:59 PM
JMCK wing claw 2.0

I find the 2.0 to print much less with the soft loops rather than the clips. If you check out the 2.0 thread I put up some pictures.

orionz06
03-18-2017, 05:57 PM
If the George works for 1776 I'd try taking the claw off and see if that improves things. Try without claw but with and without the pad.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 05:59 PM
If the George works for 1776 I'd try taking the claw off and see if that improves things. Try without claw but with and without the pad.

Will try to take claw off tonight

JAD
03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
How is it printing? Colostomy bag, slide, or grip?

Craigb
03-18-2017, 06:21 PM
How is it printing? Colostomy bag, slide, or grip?
Mostly the holster, honestly. That, and a little bit of the grip. Awesome holster quality though. Best I've tried. Can't wait for my iwb3, then maybe gonna get a George.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/33680d5b9ba0099c07f53d67c89aa79f.jpg

JAD
03-18-2017, 06:51 PM
For me that is less of a problem as the gun moves to 1:00.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 06:53 PM
I realize I forgot to flex for the photo. My apologies :-)

orionz06
03-18-2017, 07:06 PM
I realize I forgot to flex for the photo. My apologies :-)

You didn't fold that laundry either but it's all good.

Skroob
03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
I found that with my Mastermind Tactics AIWB that I got better results if I spun the wedge 90 degrees clockwise.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
You didn't fold that laundry either but it's all good.
Ha!

Craigb
03-18-2017, 07:31 PM
I found that with my Mastermind Tactics AIWB that I got better results if I spun the wedge 90 degrees clockwise.

I have the neoprene pad that's flat.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Also, Tony at JMCK has gone WAY out of his way to help me (and not just sell me stuff).
If the Wing Claw 2.0 is any indication then I can't wait to see what he sends me next. Nicest holster I've seen.
It's awesome that makers like JMCK are really giving some sweet AIWB holster selections.

GAP
03-18-2017, 09:59 PM
The Wing variations are too wide so there's no "molding" around the holster. They hold a flat shape and cause the slide to print ridiculously.

In my opinion, the "George" with the neoprene pad is the best option available.

Straddle your front belt loop with the snap loops.. it prints less off center.

Craigb
03-18-2017, 10:16 PM
I think I might try the George with snap loops next.

HilaJ
03-19-2017, 08:45 PM

This was a damn life saver. I've been frustrated for the best 2 months and purchased two different holsters trying to fix the issue. Before/after. Thanks a million! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/06506339e5ad32c0a150e585c1211d8a.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/402cc2683e37f8b2e3bbcc457c3faf32.jpg

Skroob
03-19-2017, 10:30 PM
This was a damn life saver. I've been frustrated for the best 2 months and purchased two different holsters trying to fix the issue. Before/after. Thanks a million! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/06506339e5ad32c0a150e585c1211d8a.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/402cc2683e37f8b2e3bbcc457c3faf32.jpg

You are most welcome!!!

Craigb
03-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Nice! What holster is that?
Thanks in advance!

HilaJ
03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Nice! What holster is that?
Thanks in advance!

It's a mastermind tactics AIWB.

delkancott
03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
So I've been trying two different AWB on and off for a few days now. One is a Dark Star Gear AIWB with the metal clip for a G43 and the other is one I was karma'd (thanks GreggW). It is a JMCK AIWB with extra length, extra tuck with the spilt ring for a Shield. I have been wearing the JMCK more, but mostly because my Shield has the external safety so I have more protection from killing myself.

All that, I've found that both holsters press uncomfortably against my pelvis. Up until this post I have been wearing a bullhide gun belt which is stiff, but is also very broken in. However I just switched to an older Filson single layer belt that's a bit thinner hoping that helps. Additionally I stole a Dr. Scholl's from my parent's house to serve as a wedge which helps. It is quite thin though. Do the Dr. Scholl's come in different thicknesses? Or should I just order some wedge kits from DSG or JMCK? Last question, when I press the handle into my gut (6'2" 225, yes I have a gut which probably doesn't held), it seems to relieve a lot of the tension from the muzzle pressing against my pelvis. Does this indicate that a wedge or claw would help relieve tension the same way, by pushing the muzzle out?

Thank you

s0nspark
03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
So I've been trying two different AWB on and off for a few days now. One is a Dark Star Gear AIWB with the metal clip for a G43 and the other is one I was karma'd (thanks GreggW). It is a JMCK AIWB with extra length, extra tuck with the spilt ring for a Shield. I have been wearing the JMCK more, but mostly because my Shield has the external safety so I have more protection from killing myself.

All that, I've found that both holsters press uncomfortably against my pelvis. Up until this post I have been wearing a bullhide gun belt which is stiff, but is also very broken in. However I just switched to an older Filson single layer belt that's a bit thinner hoping that helps. Additionally I stole a Dr. Scholl's from my parent's house to serve as a wedge which helps. It is quite thin though. Do the Dr. Scholl's come in different thicknesses? Or should I just order some wedge kits from DSG or JMCK? Last question, when I press the handle into my gut (6'2" 225, yes I have a gut which probably doesn't held), it seems to relieve a lot of the tension from the muzzle pressing against my pelvis. Does this indicate that a wedge or claw would help relieve tension the same way, by pushing the muzzle out?

Thank you

Mastermind has wedges for a good price.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop-1/foam-wedge

I swapped out the Dr Scholls gel heel pad I had been using for one and like it a lot better.

Skroob
03-20-2017, 06:27 PM
6'2 250 here. I use a wedge turned 90 degrees clockwise on a MM AIWB with claw. This relieves the "pelvic discomfort". Turning the wedge tucks the grip into my body without creating a 2-2.5 inch "hot spot"

Pistol is a G19.

breakingtime91
03-20-2017, 07:10 PM
I am sure most know this but the wedge has a side benefit that is more important than concealment for me. If used correctly, it helps point the gun out and away from the body. So if, god forbid, you ND'd it would be down towards your feet/into the gorund and not your thigh.

HilaJ
03-20-2017, 08:06 PM

Thank you

I'm also finding that turning the wedge from Mastermind Tactics has helped me significantly with the concealability issue. However, under the claw, it's uncomfortable as I'm getting used to the wedge being near there instead.
Basically from what I understand, get used to the lack of comfort :/

Paltares8
03-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Sorry for asking but for the sake of clarity, when you're saying you're turning the wedge 90°, are you talking about putting the thicker part of the wedge towards your midline or towards your sides?

ETA, one of the best things I've found to help with concealing AIWB is an AIWB mag pouch. Also, I didn't use the wedge I got with my Wing claw 2.0 for a week or two because of the pressure it put on my leg and I could conceal it fine without it. But I did notice how much more it tucked the grip in and in turn pushed the muzzle out like Breakingtime mentioned, so I just trimmed it down to the point that its comfortable enougb, but still gets the muzzle out and grip in a little more.

Skroob
03-20-2017, 09:28 PM
The thicker part is at my midline. The wedge tapers off towards the claw. I also carry just off my midline.

HilaJ
03-20-2017, 09:48 PM
The thicker part is at my midline. The wedge tapers off towards the claw. I also carry just off my midline.

I've done the reverse and also carry just off my midline. If I don't care as close to center as possible, the grip pokes out. I might flip mine to be similar to yours if the wedge continues jamming my ovary.

breakingtime91
03-20-2017, 09:58 PM
I've done the reverse and also carry just off my midline. If I don't care as close to center as possible, the grip pokes out. I might flip mine to be similar to yours if the wedge continues jamming my ovary.

What size gun are you carrying?

HilaJ
03-20-2017, 09:59 PM
What size gun are you carrying?

G43

breakingtime91
03-20-2017, 10:01 PM
G43

One thing to look at is if holster length. For example, I find G19 length holster uncomftorable but G17 holsters comfy. If you continue to have issues it may be worth looking at a holster maker that makes a g43 holster with a little more length. Mastermind may even be able to do this, but I know for a fact that JM Custom has an option for a g43 with a longer holster option.

Dark Star Gear
03-20-2017, 10:14 PM

Thank you

The clip screws can be loosened and a small amount of cant can be had, that might move things around enough. The belt helping more though.

I'm also finding that turning the wedge from Mastermind Tactics has helped me significantly with the concealability issue. However, under the claw, it's uncomfortable as I'm getting used to the wedge being near there instead.
Basically from what I understand, get used to the lack of comfort :/

There shouldn't be a lack of comfort but you may be someone who just notices the gun is there. Try swapping the claw behind the holster, this will change the amount of inward force applied and might do the trick.

One thing to look at is if holster length. For example, I find G19 length holster uncomftorable but G17 holsters comfy. If you continue to have issues it may be worth looking at a holster maker that makes a g43 holster with a little more length. Mastermind may even be able to do this, but I know for a fact that JM Custom has an option for a g43 with a longer holster option.

We've had more issues with holsters that were small gun length than any others, hence the G19 length on almost everything since forever ago. Biggest CS relief ever.

Craigb
03-21-2017, 12:05 AM

Same here. I have nowhere to hide the grip.
I have wide shoulders, 30in waist.

s0nspark
03-21-2017, 06:47 AM
I knew that 90 degree thing was going to be different from person to person. :)

I actually wear mine mostly vertical but rotated slightly so that a portion of the thick side rides in the crease at my leg. I should mention, though, that I carry with an X300U - I have the wedge extending just slightly past the edge of the holster to keep things from digging in.

voodoo_man
03-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Can't run the wedge horizontal due to...reasons...and I find that it is perfectly conformable in the vertical position. Sometimes, depending on length of holster, I'll give it a very slight cant to the right (like on a g34 holster).

blues
03-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Can't run the wedge horizontal due to...reasons...and I find that it is perfectly conformable in the vertical position. Sometimes, depending on length of holster, I'll give it a very slight cant to the right (like on a g34 holster).

I haven't rotated mine, (on the "George"), though I considered doing so in the past. The G26 grip is already pretty well into the torso and and I don't want the corner of the slide to become more pronounced. The G19 might benefit slightly by the rotation to bring the grip in just a skosh.

What I have done is lower the wedge a bit south of the bottom edge of the holster to have a softer contact point where the holster meets flesh.

These days I tend to carry the G26 in the G19 sized "George"...and the G19 in the G17 sized AIWB from DSG. Two great holsters and this way I get to use 'em both.

voodoo_man
03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
I haven't rotated mine, (on the "George"), though I considered doing so in the past. The G26 grip is already pretty well into the torso and and I don't want the corner of the slide to become more pronounced. The G19 might benefit slightly by the rotation to bring the grip in just a skosh.

What I have done is lower the wedge a bit south of the bottom edge of the holster to have a softer contact point where the holster meets flesh.

These days I tend to carry the G26 in the G19 sized "George"...and the G19 in the G17 sized AIWB from DSG. Two great holsters and this way I get to use 'em both.

The DSG 17 with a big wedge using for a G19 seems to have the best and most dramatic improvement I've seen in any holster setup.

blues
03-21-2017, 11:05 AM
The DSG 17 with a big wedge using for a G19 seems to have the best and most dramatic improvement I've seen in any holster setup.

Haven't set mine up with a wedge / pad yet...but that is near the top of the "to do" list. It's pretty darn comfortable even without so I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a change it incorporates.

voodoo_man
03-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Haven't set mine up with a wedge / pad yet...but that is near the top of the "to do" list. It's pretty darn comfortable even without so I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a change it incorporates.

Drastically better concealment and comfort.

delkancott
03-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Another question, any recommended wedges? Or I should I just purchase some from JMCK? I did not see any on Dark Star Gear's website.

Also, in regards to loops, which offers the most flexibility? The snap loops? I move a lot working outdoors so I think having flexibility will aid in comfort.

Dark Star Gear
03-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Another question, any recommended wedges? Or I should I just purchase some from JMCK? I did not see any on Dark Star Gear's website.

Also, in regards to loops, which offers the most flexibility? The snap loops? I move a lot working outdoors so I think having flexibility will aid in comfort.

I'd grab foam from JM. We don't have any wedges on the site for a few reasons, first and foremost doing things different and/or better has always been the goal. Foam works and before we ever went to add it we saw that most folks were doing their own DIY and hacks anyway and we just put it off. Personally not a fan of foam and have been pursuing something that might not have the drawbacks. That item is actually in the works now. Attachment is up in the air but we'll have something sooner than soon.

Snap loops are the best balance of secure and easy on/off without the risk of things coming off the belt like the plastic clips. They can be sized to offer a little float and move with the body or snugged up to the belt size.

HilaJ
03-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Mastermind tactics sells theirs for $5 each where JMCK is 4x the price.

HilaJ
03-21-2017, 03:27 PM

MMT does have a longer holster than my previous one. However, being a female in jeans with a lower rise, everyone would just think I'm so excited to see them [emoji15] and then concealability is out the window.

breakingtime91
03-21-2017, 03:39 PM
MMT does have a longer holster than my previous one. However, being a female in jeans with a lower rise, everyone would just think I'm so excited to see them [emoji15] and then concealability is out the window.

Distraction tactic. :cool:

Craigb
03-21-2017, 09:05 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170322/b7f9818bcd53b662e999c23d74f168ac.jpg
Applied some wing claw 2.0 changes Tony suggested, and I'm very pleased​ with the result! Carrying G19 in a G17 wing claw 2.0 with neoprene pad (@ 1 o'clock)

For reference, here's the before picturehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170322/8ed43d81faadfa23978159857885b2bf.jpg

More improvements on the way. Thanks JMCK

Tony Mayer
03-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Craigb, more than welcome!

Skroob
03-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Looking good

HilaJ
03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Same here. I have nowhere to hide the grip.
I have wide shoulders, 30in waist.

My god, I wish I had a 30 inch waist.

Update: flipping my wedge the opposite direction where the fatter end was to the left (if looking down at my holster) and the thinner end is under the claw, I run into the same issue as I had before with my gun in the holster forming a triangle (if looking down) with my body. For my body, the slide gets pushed outward while the grip is pushed inward. So I just get a weird printing and poor concealability.

Without the wedge at all, the gun is too loose at the upper most portion where my grip and the back of the slide is, so when I walk, it bounces around.

Sigh. Someday a solution will arise. But for now, I might round off the wedge under the claw so I'm getting less pokes in the ovaries for now.

GAP
03-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Take the wing off and just use the foam wedge. Might not even need it at all with a single stack.

delkancott
03-23-2017, 01:22 PM
In regards to the Dr. Scholl's mod, is there a sweet spot for how much foam to put on? I cut off the whole heel portion, but it seems to be less comfortable and is forcing the belt to roll.

s0nspark
03-23-2017, 05:50 PM
In regards to the Dr. Scholl's mod, is there a sweet spot for how much foam to put on? I cut off the whole heel portion, but it seems to be less comfortable and is forcing the belt to roll.

The item I used was a men's gel heel pad.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170323/af6d5874992fbbaf8df49c46b77cb859.jpeg

11B10
03-23-2017, 06:43 PM

I'm still using the one in Rich_Jenkins' original post and "lovin every minute of it!" For me at least, it continues to be one of the best holster tips ever.

RJ
03-23-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm still using the one in Rich_Jenkins' original post and "lovin every minute of it!" For me at least, it continues to be one of the best holster tips ever.

Just to repeat, I was leveraging the 'Holster Hack' from Melody Lauer. I am *not* bright enough to come up with stuff like that. :)

Mine is a women's gel insert, on a MR OWB "Upper Limit" worn at 9:30, so Appendix-ish.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/5c6bd2d45aa9e2cf939d79c84b95cb6b.jpg

11B10
03-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Just to repeat, I was leveraging the 'Holster Hack' from Melody Lauer. I am *not* bright enough to come up with stuff like that. :)

Mine is a women's gel insert, on a MR OWB "Upper Limit" worn at 9:30, so Appendix-ish.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/5c6bd2d45aa9e2cf939d79c84b95cb6b.jpg

I realize Melody was the initiator, but you brought it here, Rich, where I saw it.