PDA

View Full Version : AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

TGS
05-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I have a quick question. How are y'all dealing with bending over while carrying AIWB? I am carrying a p30 and a spare mag in a shaggy and BMC and it is not comfortable at all. I thought I would get used to it after a few weeks. Everytime I try and bend over I am being stabbed in my stomach. It also limits my range of motion. It is hard to put on shoes or take them off, also getting in the car is very uncomfortable. I am not a big dude too, I am 6,1 about 180.

Sure, it's not going to be as natural. You have a gun in the way of your movement.....not much way around that part of physiology. Try kneeling instead of bending over....it's better for your back, anyway. As for taking shoes off......well, yeah, there's a big chunk of plastic and steel in the way of where your stomach needs to go....that's just the way it is. Even still, as long as I'm sitting, it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, especially since I don't find myself donning/doffing shoes often enough for it to be anything other than a 5 second nuisance.

Can't say that getting in and out of cars is difficult or uncomfortable, either.

To me, the minor inconveniences of AIWB carry when bending over is not as bad as the alternative....bending over, or leaning forward, and having my 3-4 O'Clock carried gun stick out the side of my back like I've been impaled by the Predator's lance. YMMV.

You could try getting a holster that rides lower or higher....a good option for that would be JRC's AIWB since you can adjust it all the way from low-ride to high-ride....if that doesn't work, I think you're SOL. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

JohnN
05-27-2012, 05:44 PM
You could try getting a holster that rides lower or higher....a good option for that would be JRC's AIWB since you can adjust it all the way from low-ride to high-ride....if that doesn't work, I think you're SOL. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

AIWB is not for everyone, if it doesn't work for you don't fight it just change your mode of carry.

JM Campbell
05-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I have and at times run a Dale Fricke Joab and find it a uncomfortable higher ride with a FS m&p9, now a 9c is a different story.

The JRC AIWB-CDA is one heck of a holster and is in my top three:

In no order of preference, I consider them interchangeable for me

JRC AIWB-CDA (leather adjustable cant and ride hieght with multiple loop configurations / modular for M&P9fs/c)
Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy (kydex interchangeable kydex loop and pull dots with solid wedge design for H&K P30LS)
DarkStarGear (custom for me as a easy on/off going to store rig for HK P30)

A small hats off to DarkStarGear, good stuff a little over looked at times. Tom may not have a dedicated AIWB holster on the market but turned out a serviceable holster for me that met MY needs.

It has been said so many times in this thread....AIWB is DEPENDENT on the User, YOU must find what works for you not what worked for the guy in the last post. Unfortunately that means trial and error but resale is always high and very little loss at all.

My advice :

Order a few different holsters run them all and keep what works for YOU.

s0nspark
05-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I have a quick question. How are y'all dealing with bending over while carrying AIWB?

One thing I've found is that moving the holster even a slight amount toward my hip makes a big difference when bending over... the muzzle for me needs to right close to the inside of my pelvic crease. You might try positioning the holster differently and see how it goes.

Keebsley
05-28-2012, 12:18 PM
With a G19 as your pistol, I'd recommend picking up an inexpensive Training Barrel from Blade Tech for the crawl stage. Much less expensive than the blue gun, provides the same sense of security plus a little added functionality that includes slide motion and trigger pull.

Saving on the blue gun lets you buy your own holster from the get go. You can resell it on the forums if it doesn't work out.

(By the way, I'm a huge fan of blue guns for a bunch of different things, including practice at handgun retention and close quarters work. I just think a training barrel works better for giving peace of mind when trying out holsters, since you can immediately see & hear any change in the trigger status.)

pax

I just threw the blue gun out there as I already have a blue gun but you're correct in the seeing and hearing any change in the trigger status. Thanks for the advice. Now...I'm 5'8 with a bit of a food tumor and am one of those squat Asian's with huge tree trunk thighs. Besides losing weight, is there any particular holsters out there that people would recommend? Maybe others here that are similar in my body type? :D

Gary1911A1
05-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Tried it today with nmy Shaggy with leather backing for my HK P2000. Couldn't stand it when seated so I think I'll just keep it at 3:00 on my right hip.

YVK
05-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I just threw the blue gun out there as I already have a blue gun but you're correct in the seeing and hearing any change in the trigger status. Thanks for the advice. Now...I'm 5'8 with a bit of a food tumor and am one of those squat Asian's with huge tree trunk thighs. Besides losing weight, is there any particular holsters out there that people would recommend? Maybe others here that are similar in my body type? :D

Welcome to the forum, dude. Congrats on the family stuff.

Try to get a Shaggy if you can. May take secondary market, or wait and watch over CCC's website like a hawk. I don't have one for the 19, or any Glock; Seth wanted it so he has it now, I am that kind of guy...
Shaggy will have a highest chance of working right off, has some room for an important adjustment, and will be very easy to move should it not work for you. I understand that Keeper works well too (no personal experience), has a number of features that other don't, and is more accessible now, but less economic.

Keebsley
05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the forum, dude. Congrats on the family stuff.

Try to get a Shaggy if you can. May take secondary market, or wait and watch over CCC's website like a hawk. I don't have one for the 19, or any Glock; Seth wanted it so he has it now, I am that kind of guy...
Shaggy will have a highest chance of working right off, has some room for an important adjustment, and will be very easy to move should it not work for you. I understand that Keeper works well too (no personal experience), has a number of features that other don't, and is more accessible now, but less economic.

Thanks YK. Like I said, been a long time reader but only contribute when I'm in my lane or have questions. Been keeping up on your posts. :D I'll have to watch the secondary market and hopefully get a few things sold so I can snag one when the opportunity arises. Thanks for the advice.

vaglocker
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Not sure if this was covered already, but does anybody appendix carry with a weapon mounted light, and if so what holster? I'm toying with the idea of adding a TLR-3 to my Walther PPS.

Sheep Have Wool
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Not sure if this was covered already, but does anybody appendix carry with a weapon mounted light, and if so what holster? I'm toying with the idea of adding a TLR-3 to my Walther PPS.

This post by Default.mp3 showed his P30LS with a WML in an AIWB. (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3865-AAR-pistol-training-com-Aim-Fast-Hit-Fast-2012-04-14-15-College-Station-TX&p=66140&viewfull=1#post66140)

Super J
06-07-2012, 01:11 AM

I've been carrying my g17 with rmr and x300 in a Dale Fricke seraphim holster. I added the home made foam wedge (not my idea and I not recall whose to give the appropriate credit) to the bottom of the holster and it tucks in nicely and is much more comfortable than the stock configuration. I think the foam wedge idea was in a post related to predators (sp) holsters.

vaglocker
06-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I've been carrying my g17 with rmr and x300 in a Dale Fricke seraphim holster. I added the home made foam wedge (not my idea and I not recall whose to give the appropriate credit) to the bottom of the holster and it tucks in nicely and is much more comfortable than the stock configuration. I think the foam wedge idea was in a post related to predators (sp) holsters.

I emailed Dale about a custom archangel for my PPS with a tlr3. He said he could do it so I just may give it a go.

Super J
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
I emailed Dale about a custom archangel for my PPS with a tlr3. He said he could do it so I just may give it a go.

Pastor Fricke is a pleasure to do business with. If there are special things on your wish list, make sure to tell him so he can get it just how you've dreamt it.

NETim
06-10-2012, 05:21 AM
I found AIWB to be amazingly painful within a few short minutes. Bending over to tie my shoes was torture, even with an empty holster. Sitting upright was at best uncomfortable.

I'm junking it and going to back to the Sparks VMII. Yep, slower but at least I can carry the damn gun without bringing tears to my eyes.

TCinVA
06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
As we've stated before, successful AIWB carry is about many seemingly little things. The right holster and the right placement do not happen on the first try, typically. To succeed at it you need to work with it. The first time I tried AIWB carry sucked out loud, but now I'm sitting down and I can't even feel the gun. Finding my sweet spot took a whole but it paid off.

TGS
06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
but at least I can carry the damn gun without bringing tears to my eyes.

Wow, that's pretty extreme. Discomfort is one thing, but if carrying a gun brought tears to my eyes I'd probably go see the doctor to see if I had a medical condition needing attention.

I guess I can't call it Appendix carry anymore for myself as I had an appendectomy this week.

pr1042
06-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I've found my glock 19 in a 17 sized JM Kydex to be surprisingly comfortable once I found the right place to put it. I'm hyper sensitive to printing so I will sacrifice some comfort when bending over for the conceal ability.

It was painful until I found out the best location though, especially when carrying the 17

LOKNLOD
06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I guess I can't call it Appendix carry anymore for myself as I had an appendectomy this week.

Clearing out more space for the grip to tuck... that's dedication, dude. :cool:

TGS
06-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Clearing out more space for the grip to tuck... that's dedication, dude. :cool:

It was part of my plan to start carrying a USP Expert instead of the P2000.... :cool:

Not HighSpeed
06-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Wow, that's pretty extreme. Discomfort is one thing, but if carrying a gun brought tears to my eyes I'd probably go see the doctor to see if I had a medical condition needing attention.

And I thought I was the only one who was doing appendix-less carry.

Funny thing, I lost mine about 3 months before I started doing it so I guess my body knew it was going there. Not as hardcore as getting it removed to do it better ;)

Steve S.
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Thats pretty funny.

dickmadison
06-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Does anyone feel that the first belt loop of 5.11s gets in the way of where you want to place the holster on your belt? Any suggested fixes...maybe new pants are in order?

Wes Peart
06-17-2012, 02:01 AM
I found appendix carry got a lot more comfortable when I became less of a fat bastard. Been carrying a G19 in a Raven VG2 for almost a month now and love it. Tying my shoes is a little uncomfortable but that's easily remedied by... wait for it.. taking the holster off. :p Sitting in a car, hiking, running, etc are all very comfortable. Tom Fineis at Raven is a pleasure to deal with, he went above and beyond to deal with a small issue I had. I think a shorter gun is actually less comfortable than a bigger one because it levers against your groin more when you bend as there isn't as much slide to keep it flat against you. Have to experiment and see if a 34 or 17 is doable in the VG2.

Had a CCC Shaggy but didn't find it near as comfortable as the Raven.

phil_in_cs
06-17-2012, 07:13 AM

Southnarc always calls it vasectomy carry.

pax
06-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I found AIWB to be amazingly painful within a few short minutes. Bending over to tie my shoes was torture, even with an empty holster. Sitting upright was at best uncomfortable.

I'm junking it and going to back to the Sparks VMII. Yep, slower but at least I can carry the damn gun without bringing tears to my eyes.

Until I lost a whole bunch of weight last year, I had the same problem in reverse. Literally could not carry comfortably in any holster on or behind the hip. IWB, OWB, it didn't matter. (Went through plenty of them to prove it, too!) Every time I absolutely had to use such a holster for a class or somesuch, I had deep bruises in a wide area across my ribs and upper hip bone. The second day of a two day class was pure torture and I am not even exaggerating. The only exception was with extreme dropped & offset holsters, which are inherently less stable on the draw and come with their own set of challenges -- and are certainly not an option for concealed carry.

Appendix carry worked, though. Not painful at all, allowed freedom of movement, allowed me to protect the firearm, and best of all: no bruises!

Since losing the weight, I feel better and the behind-hip OWB bruising is only minimal unless we're doing a whole lot of shooting. The second day of a two day class is still uncomfortable, but it's no longer torture. But I still find appendix much more comfortable, much more concealable, and much more secure in use.

pax

ToddG
06-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Traded emails with Joyce Wilson (IDPA HQ) today and asked her if aiwb was on the horizon for IDPA. She said she doubted it due to safety concerns.

Sad news, but not unexpected. Given that a few folks do tend to shoot themselves while holstering each year at various action pistol sporting events, I'd also say it's understandable. But it still makes me sad. :(

JodyH
06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
IDPA is dead to me... DEAD I SAY!

Jason F
06-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Traded emails with Joyce Wilson (IDPA HQ) today and asked her if aiwb was on the horizon for IDPA. She said she doubted it due to safety concerns.

Sad news, but not unexpected. Given that a few folks do tend to shoot themselves while holstering each year at various action pistol sporting events, I'd also say it's understandable. But it still makes me sad. :(

I was actually wondering about the status of AIWB & IDPA yesterday after getting off the phone with one of my buddies who's big in to shooting IDPA and was telling me about his most recent exploits.

But you're probably right Todd, it's sadly understandable given the ND/AD's that happen when holstering. One in your foot or leg is bad, one in your groin or femoral area, tragic. It would probably be a quick end for any IDPA group should someone put a round through themselves via AIWB.

Gary1911A1
06-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Recently read an article about a guy who shot himself in his penis with a Glock in .40. It didn't sound like he was using a holster, but I don't think this style of carry is for the masses out there.

Kyle Reese
06-18-2012, 11:09 AM

This makes me a sad panda.

orionz06
06-18-2012, 11:10 AM

But they are still allowing the Serpa, right?

ToddG
06-18-2012, 12:42 PM
But they are still allowing the Serpa, right?

At best I know.

An AD with an aiwb brings to mind a much more catastrophic image... appropriately so. While I certainly have no love for the SERPA, it is a different risk especially with regards to large numbers of unknown shooters.

orionz06
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I suspect they are more resistant to change more than anything else.

pax
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Resistant to change, yes. And there are still an awful lot of people who honestly believe that nobody can carry a concealed weapon in front of the hip on a daily basis, which therefore means the only reason to have your holster forward of the hip would be to game the system.

"V. Offer a practical shooting sport responsive to the shooters and sponsors, with unprecedented stability of equipment rules."

Too bad.

pax

phil_in_cs
06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
re: IPDA and the crazy rules, I often have to remind myself that any idiot can come to a match. Sometimes, Any Idiot is more than half the shooters. Those people are sometimes scary when running a belt holster and IDPA vest. If they saw master class shooters running AIWB they'd all go get the cheapest one they could find, and there'd be more injuries and more serious injuries.

Gary1911A1
06-19-2012, 08:28 AM
re: IPDA and the crazy rules, I often have to remind myself that any idiot can come to a match. Sometimes, Any Idiot is more than half the shooters. Those people are sometimes scary when running a belt holster and IDPA vest. If they saw master class shooters running AIWB they'd all go get the cheapest one they could find, and there'd be more injuries and more serious injuries.

I see some top shooters on the Sportsman Channel using Appendix Carry and I wonder how many armchair commandos will start to carry this way without even a good holster.:eek:

bdcheung
06-19-2012, 08:36 AM
I see some top shooters on the Sportsman Channel using Appendix Carry and I wonder how many armchair commandos will start to carry this way without even a good holster.:eek:

Fortunately or unfortunately, it's a self-correcting problem.

frozentundra
06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Does anybody know anything about the 5.11 Appendix holster? Model # is 50103 for m&p compact.

I just bought a M&P9c with thumb safety specifically to try AIWB carry in the hot weather. After playing with it a little bit, it seems like I might not need all the grip tuck of a design with a large "wedge".

I don't mind modifying the sweat guard and making my own slight "wedge" if the holster doesn't suck. I can't find any reviews, or detailed pictures of ride height and thickness.

They say it was designed by bladetech:confused:, tested by viking tactics, and is in stock everywhere. For the price it seems too good to be true.

I need something that is able to go on/off in the car, and can be shipped quickly. I may wind up ordering a shaggy, jm, or keeper in the future, if I can get used to AIWB carry(great concealment and comfort, but scares me).
Also I am about 5'8'' 155 with a fairly flat tummy, but a short torso.

Ideas?

JDM
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
It lacks the features that make a good AIWB holster good, but it's cheap an available. Worth a shot, especially if you aren't committed to AIWB yet. Just be aware...it lacks the features that make a good AIWB holster good.

bdcheung
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Ideas?

Check your PM's :)

BLR
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Appendix carry isn't new:

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/545618_440094346006463_619635328_n.jpg

Sorry, just had to! ;)

frozentundra
06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
It lacks the features that make a good AIWB holster good, but it's cheap an available. Worth a shot, especially if you aren't committed to AIWB yet. Just be aware...it lacks the features that make a good AIWB holster good.

I could make a custom wedge, and use velcro and foam to make a pad that leverages the muzzle out. Other than that which features to you feel that are most lacking? Adjustable retention screw? Durable attachment point? Adjustability for ride height and cant?

Kyle Reese
06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Fortunately or unfortunately, it's a self-correcting problem.

The stakes are incredibly high, and margin for error is zero. Sort of like skydiving without a parachute. You can do it - once. I cringe when I go to the range and see people try to speed reholster while carrying AIWB.

Proper training and holsters are an absolute must if you choose to carry AIWB. Just my 2 kopeks.

bdcheung
06-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I could make a custom wedge, and use velcro and foam to make a pad that leverages the muzzle out. Other than that which features to you feel that are most lacking? Adjustable retention screw? Durable attachment point? Adjustability for ride height and cant?

Most good holsters are designed, structurally, to rotate the grip into the abdomen along the vertical axis (perpendicular to the belt line).

JDM
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Also, it has a clip as an attachment point--generally unsatisfactory.

ToddG
06-20-2012, 11:43 AM

That is awesome!

As mentioned at the very beginning of this thread, Bruce Nelson's original Summer Special was designed as an appendix iwb holster. The idea has been around a very long time.

Proper training and holsters are an absolute must if you choose to carry AIWB. Just my 2 kopeks.

Agreed. The number of people who decide to give it a try -- especially with striker fired guns -- because it's hip, cool, or has some perceived benefit they don't really understand is just downright scary. I'm obviously a huge fan of aiwb but really wish people would be more thoughtful about their choice (and their practice).

TGS
06-20-2012, 12:14 PM

That is awesome!

Tis'. FWIW, Appendix OWB was also the position we were taught to wear our M9's with a duty belt in the USMC. Not sure if Jack Leuba had anything to do with that, as I learned it shortly after he left WTBN at Quantico.

As mentioned at the very beginning of this thread, Bruce Nelson's original Summer Special was designed as an appendix iwb holster. The idea has been around a very long time.

After so many pages, this deserves to be shown again. Skip to :50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKj6RGQ2VM&feature=related

Looks like Miami Vice helped popularize stuff other than European fashion and music-based stanzas.

bdcheung
06-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Looks like Miami Vice helped popularize stuff other than European fashion and music-based stanzas.

:eek:

BLR
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm just impressed Todd is going to give it a go with a 1911 that has nice sharp checkering, G10 grips, and a wonderfully pointy grip safety!

Good show!

As for me, my Colt is behind my hip in a Kirkpatrick IWB Strong Side. I just can't see how this isn't painful with a 1911. I can see how standing it would be perfect. But sitting????

Gary1911A1
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Tis'. FWIW, Appendix OWB was also the position we were taught to wear our M9's with a duty belt in the USMC. Not sure if Jack Leuba had anything to do with that, as I learned it shortly after he left WTBN at Quantico.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKj6RGQ2VM&feature=related

That was so cool when I saw that episode in the 80s'. I later found out the actor was also a B Class National Champion as I recall.

EmanP
06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Not B class, GM.

s0nspark
06-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Not B class, GM.

Indeed!

Dutch
06-25-2012, 01:17 AM
How the heck do you sit down let alone drive a car while carrying like this?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jason F
06-25-2012, 05:42 AM
How the heck do you sit down let alone drive a car while carrying like this?

Try moving the holster slightly to the right or left, it's very doable, but it may take a few tries to find the comfortable spot for your body & your holster combo.

Dutch
06-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Try moving the holster slightly to the right or left, it's very doable, but it may take a few tries to find the comfortable spot for your body & your holster combo.

Ill try that out, thanks!

senorlechero
07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Can you guys that have been successfully carrying AIWB bend over to tie your shoes? Or do you squat down for that? I've been trying AIWB out around the house dry with a JM AIWB holster, and that is about the only limitation I've noticed, other than the sights digging into my stomach a bit.

ubervic
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Can you guys that have been successfully carrying AIWB bend over to tie your shoes? Or do you squat down for that? I've been trying AIWB out around the house dry with a JM AIWB holster, and that is about the only limitation I've noticed, other than the sights digging into my stomach a bit.

I'm fairly new to AIWB, too, but I can tell that the JM AIWB rig is very well-designed and effective.

In my brief experience---I just got mine this past Friday---most normal, day-to-day maneuvers are very doable. The way I look at it, if tying one's shoes is uncomfortable despite trying a few different positions for the holstered pistol, tie the shoes before gearing up. Not trying to sound like a smart-aleck, just offering my own discovery & observation experience over this past weekend.

Good luck.

Outlier
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I take a knee for everything. I found that to work the best for me.

MechEng
07-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Put your foot up on something like a chair, truck tail gate or the 2nd - 3rd step up from the bottom of the stairs.

Shawn.L
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM

I can bend over, sit down, ect virtually identically as without the gun carrying a G17.

senorlechero
07-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I can bend over, sit down, ect virtually identically as without the gun carrying a G17.

Seriously? I just don't see how that's possible?

Would you mind posting a picture of your gear setup? I'm in San Diego county currently so the only CC I do is in my own home, but we visit friends in AZ frequently and I want to carry while there, so I want to get the kinks worked out.

jstyer
07-02-2012, 06:15 AM

I have to agree... I can honestly say that I very very rarely notice my G19 in its Shaggy. Bending down, sitting, are all a non issue.

At first I did have some pressure points when in weird positions, but I just wore it around the house for a week to find the sweet spot and it's been smooth sailing.

Prdator
07-02-2012, 08:46 AM

The same for me, I can bend over way easier wile carring my G35 in my Keeper holster than I can wile carring stong side at 3-5 O'colck. There is no printing wile doing this so I dont have to 'take a knee" or squat or hike a leg...... just bend over and pick up what I need to and this is what really sold me on AIWB.

senorlechero
07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Well then I have to be doing something wrong. The top of my slide and my sights dig into my stomach pretty bad if I bend over, and the muzzle is either in my leg/hip or my junk.

Shawn.L
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Well then I have to be doing something wrong. The top of my slide and my sights dig into my stomach pretty bad if I bend over, and the muzzle is either in my leg/hip or my junk.

what holster are you using ?

Not really sure what you guys will see from a vid of me sitting, but here I am with a G17 in a Keeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf7TIkmsDws&feature=youtu.be

senorlechero
07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
JM AIWB

Shawn.L
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
JM AIWB

not familiar , but I have run a CCC Shaggy, Kolbeson TX Comfort, Garrity Invictus, and a Keeper .
does that video alleviate your disbelief ?

Right now the Keeper is top of my favorite holster list. One part of AIWB that many note is how variances in body type/shape/size can greatly effect which holster one uses, comfort, ride height, ect. The issue then is that many people get a holster that doesnt work for them and then think its the carry style thats the problem. With the Keeper (I am not a paid spokesman, I bought mine at full price) you can adjust for cant, ride height, and the removable padding lets you adjust not only how bif the pillow is on it and how much it tilts inwards but position it for maximum comfort so it sits in your pelvic crease at the correct spot.

Prdator
07-02-2012, 08:22 PM
not familiar , but I have run a CCC Shaggy, Kolbeson TX Comfort, Garrity Invictus, and a Keeper .
does that video alleviate your disbelief ?

Right now the Keeper is top of my favorite holster list. One part of AIWB that many note is how variances in body type/shape/size can greatly effect which holster one uses, comfort, ride height, ect. The issue then is that many people get a holster that doesnt work for them and then think its the carry style thats the problem. With the Keeper (I am not a paid spokesman, I bought mine at full price) you can adjust for cant, ride height, and the removable padding lets you adjust not only how bif the pillow is on it and how much it tilts inwards but position it for maximum comfort so it sits in your pelvic crease at the correct spot.

This!!!!!

You have to find a holster that works for YOU.
Also you have to have room in the pants that your wearing to accommodate the holster and give it room to basically be there, some of my pants are more comfortable than others wile caring AIWB, and Belt tension is HUGE a little to much or not enough can cause it to be uncomfortable or print badly and sometimes just 1/4 of belt movement can make this kind of deference.

senorlechero
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
vid of me sitting, but here I am with a G17 in a Keeper

That's incredible to me, where is the muzzle going in relation to your body? And where does the rear of the pistol sit? And how high do you wear your pants? I'm really not understanding how you can bend, past sitting upright, with a holster there.

And the holster situation is getting out of hand already.

Prdator
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
That's incredible to me, where is the muzzle going in relation to your body? And where does the rear of the pistol sit? And how high do you wear your pants? I'm really not understanding how you can bend, past sitting upright, with a holster there.

Part of this is to have enough room for the holster..... To make this work for me I had to move my belt line up to my "waist" instead of the low ride pants I used to wear. This made AIWB go from a NO-GO to man how did I ever cary a gun before!!! It was SO much better. You have to find a gun and holster combo that will work for you, some guys cant carry a G35 or even a G17 but can a G19 and some cant do that and end up just fine with say a PPS, and in fact that was my Nephew he could not do any Glock but Loves the PPS that's the biggest gun he can comfortably carry AIWB. So in some ways you have to have a try it and see if it will work attitude, and if it does not work try and figure out why and how the holster/ gun combo would have to change to make it work, and sometimes just moving the holster up or down 1/8'' will take it from just ok to perfect.

Shawn.L
07-03-2012, 06:29 PM

I wear my pants normal at my waist, I think you should be able to tell from the first part of the vid where I pull my shirt up.
The rear sight rides prob just under belly button height , the muzzle portion of the holster in inside my pelvic crease.
The gun is above where I bend mostly.

Its funny, from the other side I cant imagine how you screw this up :)

phil_in_cs
07-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I wear my pants normal at my waist, I think you should be able to tell from the first part of the vid where I pull my shirt up.
The rear sight rides prob just under belly button height , the muzzle portion of the holster in inside my pelvic crease.
The gun is above where I bend mostly.

Its funny, from the other side I cant imagine how you screw this up :)

Where it gets messed up is when you try to appendix carry where your appendix is - about 2 o'clock. One of comptac's early AIWB holsters was even called the 2 O'clock.

Get the barrel as close to your center line as possible - 12:00 or 12:30.

Shawn.L
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Where it gets messed up is when you try to appendix carry where your appendix is - about 2 o'clock. One of comptac's early AIWB holsters was even called the 2 O'clock.

Get the barrel as close to your center line as possible - 12:00 or 12:30.

uhg, I owned one of those awful contraptions back in the day.

joshs
07-04-2012, 01:22 PM
JM AIWB

I have a JM for a P30 and G17, and I have no problem bending as Shawn does in the above video. As previously mentioned, you may want to try moving the holster around on your belt to find the most comfortable position. The JM is actually better in this regard than many other holsters because of the minimal amount of material under the dustcover.

Wes Peart
07-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I've been carrying a 17L (yes, the one that's bigger than the 34/35) in a RCS VGII for a week or so now with no problems. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world driving, but very tolerable. Standing it's as comfortable as anything else. I adjusted the ride height higher than I was using with a 19 and that made it more workable. I feel like every time I draw the ghost of Clevon Little should say "excuse me while I whip this out!". Pretty surprising what can be carried this way.

Wendell
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I've been carrying a 17L (yes, the one that's bigger than the 34/35) in a RCS VGII for a week or so now with no problems. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world driving, but very tolerable. Standing it's as comfortable as anything else. I adjusted the ride height higher than I was using with a 19 and that made it more workable. I feel like every time I draw the ghost of Clevon Little should say "excuse me while I whip this out!". Pretty surprising what can be carried this way.

"I'm going to say the same thing..." (http://www.finestquotes.com/movie_quotes/movie/Lucky%20Number%20Slevin/page/0.htm) -Slevin Kelevra (http://www.finestquotes.com/movie_quotes/movie/Lucky%20Number%20Slevin/page/0.htm)

MGW
07-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Received my JM for my G30SF end of last week. Ordered the coyote brown with black leather loops. Can't say enough good things about it. I've tried several of the less expensive holsters on the market and this one is by far the most comfortable I've tried. I'm wearing it at about 12:30.

I ordered the leather belt loops and my only problem is they stick out a little to far for my liking. It's more a problem with my body type than the holster. I'm going to wear it as is for a couple of weeks and then order a kydex loop and see if it is any less noticeable. The G30 isn't the easiest weapon to conceal because of its thickness but the JM does and outstanding job. It's the most comfortable holster I've tried for the brick.

I've been experimenting with wearing the holster with the loop that's mounted over the trigger removed. It's still very stable and the loop prints a lot less than if both are attached. Not sure why. It also allows the end of the holster to shift forward when I sit down which makes it even more comfortable.

MGW
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
An update to the above post. The one thing I didn't count on running just the forward loop is the grip works down so that it is sitting on top of the belt. This obviously makes it difficult to get a full grip on the pistol. Re-holstering is also a PITA because it won't stay in one place.

I'm going to order a kydex loop and see if that will thin down the profile. I know it will provide a lot more stability.

I am more than happy with this holster and can't see me ever getting rid of it unless I sell the G30 which is also unlikely. I've been experimenting with a Garrett Industries Solo holster AIWB for my Shield. It isn't working out so well and I'm starting to wish I had ordered a JM for the Smith at the same time. I'm going to keep tweaking the solo and trying to find a set up that works. Right now the only place I can carry it is at 2:00 which isn't quite as comfortable as 12:30. The weapon is short enough and the holster can be adjusted to ride high enough that it works but it isn't ideal. I would rather have it at 12:30.

I bought the holster thinking that I really didn't need a holster that would tuck the grip in with the shield. The problem is there is a wing on the grip end of the holster that actually pushes the grip out if worn at 12:30. The wing is supposed to contour to the body and it does every where but at 12:30 t0 1:00. I tried the Standard Silent Thunder first and couldn't find a comfortable spot for it. The other issue with the Solo is the back material of the holster is soft enough that the holster collapses a little bit with the pistol out making one handed re-holsters a little difficult.

I bought the Solo because I wanted a tuckable AIWB holster to wear with business/dress clothes when an untucked shirt really wasn't an option.

I'm going to give the Solo some more time because it is very comfortable. If I carried behind the hip this would be my EDC holster. If it doesn't work out I'm going to order a JM and see if he can make it tuckable for me.

Keebsley
07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
So I was able to snag a Looper for a G19 from someone and tried it out last night. I think I found a reasonably comfortable spot about 12:30 but noticed that the holster is digging into my pelvis area while sitting. Granted, with the shorter barrel, the holster is shorter in the barrel area as well. I was thinking of adding some foam/rubber block material at the bottom of the holster for cushion as well as to press the butt of the gun in more. Has anyone done this type of modification? And if so, what did you use? Any pointers or tips?

senorlechero
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
The keeper AIWB holster comes with foam wedges backed with velcro for just what you describe.

I've recently found that hiking my pants up to my navel makes AIWB carry MUCH more comfortable.

Wendell
07-26-2012, 11:16 PM
So I was able to snag a Looper for a G19 from someone and tried it out last night. I think I found a reasonably comfortable spot about 12:30 but noticed that the holster is digging into my pelvis area while sitting. Granted, with the shorter barrel, the holster is shorter in the barrel area as well. I was thinking of adding some foam/rubber block material at the bottom of the holster for cushion as well as to press the butt of the gun in more. Has anyone done this type of modification? And if so, what did you use? Any pointers or tips?

Try a stiffer belt. A stiffer belt does not have to be cinched as tightly as a lesser belt, and the improvement in your comfort will be dramatic.

JMS
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
adding some foam/rubber block material at the bottom of the holster... Has anyone done this type of modification? And if so, what did you use? Any pointers or tips?

Yep!

Shoe Goo'd loop velcro to the holster. The trickiest part was putting adhesive on the back of the loop velcro so that there were no unsecured corners/edges to peel away, but still get the stuff to mold securely to the holster body while the glue cured AND not get glue spooging out from the edges. Punch line: I couldn't, so the following sammich was made -- Pelican case foam/holster/wax paper/Pelican case foam/sandbag. Trimmed excess dried adhesive with an #11 X-Acto knife.

Got lots of old MICH/ACH helmet pads for padding material (.5" and .75" thicknesses), but the Shoe Goo wasn't able to secure hook velcro directly to the pad; pad was fine, back of the hook velcro was too smooth -- even applying to both surfaces wasn't doing it for me, and I wasn't going to buy a bunch of different adhesives.... So, I glued the pads to unused morale patches, which worked like a champ; the embroidery provided the kind of surface purchase to make it go.

Hell, that was 3 months ago...! It's made a helluva difference.

Other things to consider about pants...whichever ones you wear, see if powering up to the next INSEAM size might provide you with more rise; that can give more room for the holster without needing to hike up the waistline. I'll buy Vertex pants true to size because of their material has some give to it (and because they're likely to be up to 1.5" longer than they say, anyway; only gripe I have about them is that inconsistency, and it's better than erring on the short side...), but practically anything else I'll bump to a 34 length from a 32 and get the local mama-san in the tailor shop to hem them up, if needed. Better for me than going up in waist sizes and having a bunch of extra material wadded up under the belt, looking like ass and causing irritation from what amounts to seam-stacking.

Keebsley
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Ever since IWB carrying, I've always sized up in pants so that's not a problem. A stiffer belt might be the case as I'm currently running just a Wilderness instructors belt. I took some sticky backed velcro and attached it but I'm curious how well it'll stay. I have shoe glue in the office but have to find a way to attach something to the slickness of the kydex to then attach the velcro onto....hrmm...

I also took a pair of cheapo flip flops that I bought to cut up to bump up my G19 mags in pistol pouches and cut them up to add to the bottom of the holster. Just need to find some gorilla glue or something to add to it and test it out tonight after the glue sets.

Any other suggestions on attaching items to the slick side of kydex without velcro or rubber coming off with the velcro belt or when in use?

pax
07-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Rhome Desbiens at Desbiens Gun Leather is making a hybrid for appendix carry that includes a comfort pad like you describe. It's terrifically comfortable, IME.

pax

JMS
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I have shoe glue in the office but have to find a way to attach something to the slickness of the kydex to then attach the velcro

It's really pretty mundane...

Just clean, degrease (Simple Green works) and dry the surface of the holster that goes against your body.

Hit the spot where you want to affix velcro with medium-grit sandpaper or the like; doesn't take long, you're not trying to do anything but rough it up so that the glue's got something to grab.

Get rid of any particulates with a wet paper towel, let dry.

Glue on the back of the velcro, slap it on, find a way to get it to follow and stay against any contours until the glue is cured.

waktasz
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Is anyone using a Garrett holster for AIWB?

I think their silent thunder solo would be good to try. It looks like it would work even better than their dedicated AIWB rigs.

waktasz
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the input.

I ordered a Comp-tac 2oclock a week or so ago then I found this thread and even though it hasn't arrived yet I'm regretting it.

I'm also one of the guys who is going to use AIWB as a motivator to drop a few founds.

Up1911Fan
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the input.

I ordered a Comp-tac 2oclock a week or so ago then I found this thread and even though it hasn't arrived yet I'm regretting it.

I'm also one of the guys who is going to use AIWB as a motivator to drop a few founds.

Hope it works better for you than it did for me. I've tried the 2'Oclock for both an LCR and G26. Not a fan.

MGW
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Is anyone using a Garrett holster for AIWB?

I think their silent thunder solo would be good to try. It looks like it would work even better than their dedicated AIWB rigs.

I've tried the regular Silent Thunder and the Solo for my Shield and both are a no go for me. They are both great holsters for behind the hip carry but they don't tuck the grip in at all in the appendix position. Even the short grip of the Shield printed badly for me. For comparison I have no problem concealing a Glock 30 with a JM Custom Kydex AIWB rig.

I'm getting ready to sell the Solo for the Shield in favor of a dedicated AIWB holster.

Dave J
08-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Comp-Tac has a straightforward return policy. Based on my own experience with the 2o'clock, I'd suggest you consider sending it back.
Comp-Tac is a good company IMHO, but AIWB is definitely not their forte.

ubervic
08-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Received my JM....I've tried several of the less expensive holsters on the market and this one is by far the most comfortable I've tried. I'm wearing it at about 12:30.

I ordered the leather belt loops and my only problem is they stick out a little to far for my liking....I'm going to wear it as is for a couple of weeks and then order a kydex loop and see if it is any less noticeable.

I have paraphrased quite a bit to reference the salient points. I run a MP9FS in my JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster, and I find that the loops print more than any other aspect of the entire setup. I thought about ordering the kydex loop; however, I am sure that the loop would prevent me from positioning the rig properly when wearing a few pair of pants, whereas the leather loops make positioning a snap. (Pardon the corny pun!)

s0nspark
08-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Comp-Tac has a straightforward return policy. Based on my own experience with the 2o'clock, I'd suggest you consider sending it back.
Comp-Tac is a good company IMHO, but AIWB is definitely not their forte.

It was just my experience with that holster, but I don't think it would have printed more if the gun was laid out perpendicular to my body ;-)

Dave is right, though - Comp-Tac was more than willing to refund my money, less shipping costs.

WoodLark
08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I have paraphrased quite a bit to reference the salient points. I run a MP9FS in my JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster, and I find that the loops print more than any other aspect of the entire setup. I thought about ordering the kydex loop; however, I am sure that the loop would prevent me from positioning the rig properly when wearing a few pair of pants, whereas the leather loops make positioning a snap. (Pardon the corny pun!)

I bought some Blade-Tech loops (urethane?) to replace the leather loops. I haven't put them on yet, but they aren't quite as thick as the leather ones.

CR78
08-05-2012, 09:53 PM

I've found the best of both worlds to be a split kydex loop. I'd ask Tony if he can make you one. Spencer from Keepers Concealment made one for my Keeper, and it was absolutely the answer for me, as I often position my holster where it rides over my belt loop.

ubervic
08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
I've found the best of both worlds to be a split kydex loop. I'd ask Tony if he can make you one. Spencer from Keepers Concealment made one for my Keeper, and it was absolutely the answer for me, as I often position my holster where it rides over my belt loop.

Sounds very appealing.
Thanks, friend.

waktasz
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
My Comp-tac 2 oclock came today. This is the first time I've had an AIWB holster and it is...interesting.

It actually fits pretty well, and is almost comfortable, considering I need to lose 20+ pounds and this is generally viewed as not that great of a holster for this method of carry. I'm 5'11 and about 235.

I did modify it a bit almost right away and the padding helps tremendously. I'll find a more permanent solution to the blue painters tape once I decide exactly how I'll be wearing this.

Also, the j-clip sucks. That's gotta go for sure. I wish they sold a c-clip.

The pistol is a Gen 2 Glock 22 cut to take Glock 27 mags.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0005.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0006.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0008.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0013.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0014.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0016.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701989/comptac/IMAG0017.jpg

taadski
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Snip [QUOTE=I wish they sold a c-clip.[/QUOTE]

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=91

waktasz
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
That's their standard belt clip.

This is their c-clip. They don't offer it for the 2oclock.

http://www.comp-tac.com/images/C-Clip-Ind.jpg

taadski
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Arrrgg. Reading failure. My bad. Thanks for the corrective steering.

Well, I have a "standard" 2 O'clock clip if anyone needs one. :p I bought it to attach to a Minotaur Appendix rig in an attempt to tuck the butt a bit better. It wound up just being another obstacle on the belt line.

T

waktasz
08-09-2012, 05:33 PM
They come in different lengths. Do you know what you ordered?

from comp-tac-
NOTE: These clips are available in three sizes. The necessary size depends on your particular pistol. Please include the make and model of your pistol in the "questions or comments" section during checkout and we will send you the appropriate size.

taadski
08-09-2012, 10:58 PM
When I placed the order initially, I followed the instructions you quoted. They were ordered for a P226. The packaging didn't specify which size was sent. I'm in the middle of a patrol shift at the moment but would be glad to measure them for you when I get home if that helps.

T

EDIT: PM sent to avoid further clutter

Yute
08-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm new to AIWB so I've been playing around with a SIRT as well. As Todd has mentioned in previous posts, angle is critical for safe reholstering. If the holster is pushed toward the body during reholstering, the results are undesirable:

http://i.imgur.com/D0Ugk.jpg

From my practice I have also noticed that hip position plays a critical role in ensuring safe reholstering. A "netural" hip position or a slightly leaning forward position can result in the muzzle sweeping your body even prior to the handgun entering the holster:

http://i.imgur.com/yc22G.jpg.

The best way to ensure that the muzzle clears my body entirely has been to push my hips as far forward as possible and slightly leaning backward. The result is that at no time does the muzzle sweep any body part:

http://i.imgur.com/8Uayw.jpg

This will not win you any cool-guy points on the range as you look like a bad 80s disco dancer suffering from a cramp, but, coupled with Todd's excellent advice to push the grip into your gut, you should not run into any major issues throughout the reholstering cycle:

http://i.imgur.com/5cXnE.jpg

I can see the appeal of a "fail safe" "bullet proof" holster that would ensure a last resort measure during a ND; however there are safety steps to mitigate that from occurring in the first place (thumb safety, hammer, "the gadget", proper body position, visually and physically clearing the holster of obstructions", angle, hard-break, etc).

Note: I apologize but the top-down photos have been flipped 180 for clarity, thus it appears I am left handed when I am actually using my right hand.

NickA
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Had a revelation while looking at the latest threads here on PF. When this thread started AIWB options were pretty limited, with the unobtainium Shaggy being the best option and very few other options, period, much less good ones. Now look at all the (very good, judging by the reviews) holsters that are out there: JRC, JM, Darkstar, Keepers, looks like PSS will soon have something, the long awaited 5Shot rig, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.
I've got the itch for a new AIWB holster and the problem now is not availability, it's deciding WHICH one to buy. How far we've come, and kudos to all the makers that have stepped up and turned out great gear for a very difficult niche.
ETA : great pictures yute, makes everything crystal clear.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mchasal
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm new to AIWB so I've been playing around with a SIRT as well. As Todd has mentioned in previous posts, angle is critical for safe reholstering. If the holster is pushed toward the body during reholstering, the results are undesirable:

Thanks for that great illustration. I've also found that taking a half step back with the strong side leg (or forward with the other one) seems to work well for me. It doesn't really change the angles so much, but it does serve to pull the important items like the artery out of the muzzle line. Not sure if it will work the same for you as it looks like you carry more centered than I do, but I'd be curious to hear about it and any thoughts.

Yute
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for that great illustration. I've also found that taking a half step back with the strong side leg (or forward with the other one) seems to work well for me. It doesn't really change the angles so much, but it does serve to pull the important items like the artery out of the muzzle line. Not sure if it will work the same for you as it looks like you carry more centered than I do, but I'd be curious to hear about it and any thoughts.

Thank you for the kind words - I am a novice at this so please do take my words with a grain of salt. As you mentioned, taking a step back with the foot on the holster side (or a step forward on the opposite die) helps to prevent muzzle sweeps to the leg when standing fully upright - however, I have noticed that even with the legs moved apart, a slight (10-15 degree) forward lean in the upper body will still result in the muzzle sweeping the groin region. My concern is that there may be environments where someone might not be conscious of their body's posture (e.g. a slope where people naturally lean forward to compensate), where inadvertent muzzling may occur. At least for me, hip position is a more consistent factor that I can control regardless of environment.

Interestingly, putting your holster side foot back does make pushing your hips out less awkward - so combining the two techniques might not be a bad idea!

MDS
08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I can see the appeal of a "fail safe" "bullet proof" holster that would ensure a last resort measure during a ND; however there are safety steps to mitigate that from occurring in the first place (thumb safety, hammer, "the gadget", proper body position, visually and physically clearing the holster of obstructions", angle, hard-break, etc).

Awesome pictures, dude, thanks for that! I agree that holster technique is important. Even so, if a safer holster comes out that is just as good as the JRC/Shaggy/Keeper/DarkStar stuff, why not? Safer is safer, right?

But if I'm honest, this idea interests me more because I just can't leave well enough alone. Combine that with a healthy dose of hubris ("how hard can it be?") and I'm always looking to tweak and fiddle with even the most proven time-tested stuff. Once in a while something good comes out of it. In the meanwhile, tinkering is fun. :cool:

S Jenks
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
One of my (many) developed bad habits that Todd corrected during last weekend's AFHF in RI was my AIWB reholstering. Yes, I was taking a hard break while scanning and yes, I was going slow back to the holster but I did not even realized I was angling the muzzle into my lower abdomen just enough to create an unsafe situation. No good!

Gadget, Gadget, Gadget...

Sheep Have Wool
08-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Question: I've got a P30LS, the model with the ambi thumb safety. Ride the safety or the hammer during holstering? Or does it matter?

bdcheung
08-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Personally, I'd ride the hammer.

JDM
08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Question: I've got a P30LS, the model with the ambi thumb safety. Ride the safety or the hammer during holstering? Or does it matter?

Ride the hammer.

The safety may fail internally, but the gun simply cannot fire if the hammer doesn't come back.

Default.mp3
08-22-2012, 06:25 PM

I, too, have a P30LS. I personally ride both (carrying cocked and locked). Thumb between hammer and slide, while the trigger finger rides against the safety. It does compromise my grip slightly, but it's not a huge deal, IMO, particularly since I'm holstering, which suggests that I've decided that there were no more threats in the area. If I was choosing between just one or the other, I would also opt for hammer rather than safety. As BOM noted, the safety can fail, but riding the hammer will insure that the gun won't go off.

TCinVA
08-23-2012, 02:11 PM

The hammer is what will fire the pistol, so blocking that should be priority 1, IMO.

ToddG
08-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Are you holstering with the safety OFF or ON?

If OFF, pressure downward with the thumb on the decocked hammer as you holster.

If ON, thumb verifies safety is on (press up on safety from underneath) then moves to hammer putting slight pressure on the face of the cocked hammer as you holster. If you can reach it it's also possible to put the lower outside edge of your trigger finger underneath the right side safety lever; this not only helps guarantee the safety is on but also gives your trigger finger somewhere to be other than on the trigger.

Sheep Have Wool
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I like the trigger finger register idea. I planned to carry safety on/hammer down, rather than cocked and locked. C&L carry with AIWB would certainly be outside my comfort zone at this point.

It sounds like the proper procedure would be to decock, safe, then holster with a thumb on the hammer. I'll have to practice the trigger finger safety register.

Thanks for the help, all.

Jason F
08-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Todd-

I may have missed it, but are you riding the thumb safety or the hammer with your 1911's?

ToddG
08-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I may have missed it, but are you riding the thumb safety or the hammer with your 1911's?

When I holster? My thumb is on the hammer and a straight trigger finger underneath the safety.

Jason F
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
When I holster? My thumb is on the hammer and a straight trigger finger underneath the safety.

Yes, when you reholster - sorry, I should have clarified the question.

I figured you were probably riding the hammer (since that was your previous method with The Gadget on the Glocks). Just wanted to make sure I was assuming correctly.

Munson
08-25-2012, 02:17 AM
speaking of the "gadget", is it out yet?

Jason F
08-25-2012, 07:16 AM
speaking of the "gadget", is it out yet?

Nope, not yet..... (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?712-The-Gadget-REVEALED&p=87572&viewfull=1#post87572)

Up1911Fan
09-01-2012, 09:08 PM
After trying a Fricke Arch Angel a while back and not liking it, I went back to regular IWB carry. Been wanting to get a GOOD AIWB to start training/carrying that way. I recieved my JM Custom AIWB for my M&P9 yesterday and have been wearing the unloaded gun around the house/drawing/reholstering for the last two day's. I wore it while taking my dog for a walk and running some errands today. It conceal's the full size pistol really well for my small frame ( 5'10'', 155 lbs). So far it's pretty comfy, although I am still playing around with belt buckle placement. I'm RH and right now have settled on the belt buckle at 11 O'Clock.

Nephrology
09-02-2012, 12:09 PM
After trying a Fricke Arch Angel a while back and not liking it, I went back to regular IWB carry. Been wanting to get a GOOD AIWB to start training/carrying that way. I recieved my JM Custom AIWB for my M&P9 yesterday and have been wearing the unloaded gun around the house/drawing/reholstering for the last two day's. I wore it while taking my dog for a walk and running some errands today. It conceal's the full size pistol really well for my small frame ( 5'10'', 155 lbs). So far it's pretty comfy, although I am still playing around with belt buckle placement. I'm RH and right now have settled on the belt buckle at 11 O'Clock.

What are the improvements you notice between the Arch Angel and the JM Custom holster? I currently carry a G19 in the Fricke Archangel and while I like it, it does feel kind of "pokey" occasionally. IT's perfectly comfortable when I have it settled into its "groove" in my iliac fossa, but I am wondering if I couldn't improve somehow.

Up1911Fan
09-02-2012, 08:45 PM
The Fricke is nothing more than a Blade-Tech NANO worn 0* cant IMO. It does nothing to tuck the butt of the gun or aide in concealment.

bdcheung
09-02-2012, 10:06 PM
The Fricke is nothing more than a Blade-Tech NANO worn 0* cant IMO. It does nothing to tuck the butt of the gun or aide in concealment.

That was my experience, too.

bcauz3y
09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I did a low light class last night with the Cane Derby AIWB.

It was great, except for re-holstering.

Hruk
09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
So Ive gotten a HK p30, Im going to try a JM AIWB because it seems this will be the eastiest way to conceal it, but my question becomes, how do you carry a reload?

Sheep Have Wool
09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
So Ive gotten a HK p30, Im going to try a JM AIWB because it seems this will be the eastiest way to conceal it, but my question becomes, how do you carry a reload?

Many (Todd included, I think) carry a mag around 9 o'clock. Others carry up front near the gun.

I've been playing with IWB and OWB and position, and have been happiest with an IWB at 11. Your mileage may vary.

darthhamtaro
09-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I did a low light class last night with the Cane Derby AIWB.

It was great, except for re-holstering.

what was the issue with reholstering is the CD difficult? or did you meen going slow as to not shoot your self in the parts?

bcauz3y
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
what was the issue with reholstering is the CD difficult? or did you meen going slow as to not shoot your self in the parts?

I just didn't want to blow off the goods.

The only way to be sure, was to reholster with both hands.

darthhamtaro
09-12-2012, 06:28 PM
i like to find the holster with the thumb of the shooting hand then holster works in the dark too.

MGW
10-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Where is everyone finding the Blackhawk CQB for $40? I would like to try experiment with one for my P220 but the cheapest place I've found them in on Amazon and it's still going to be close to $60. Also, are these fit to the pistol? Amazon's website list them as size 10 for the P220/P226?

NickA
11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Not worth it's own thread yet so I'll just leave this here, but if you're a fan of Walther and AIWB there may be another option soon:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/11/07/walther-ppx/

ToddG
11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I predict the CrossBreed aiwb (http://crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/ProductID/39/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName) will be popular and, like other CrossBreed holsters, not something I'd use if I could make a string holster (http://www.ehow.com/how_7583384_string-holsters.html) from my own entrails instead.

I'm not at all a fan of these so-called hybrid holsters. The big shirt guard tends to flop over and close at what should be the holster mouth, forcing many people to use two hands to reholster their gun (which, with aiwb, means you're very likely not able to hold your concealment garment out of the way, eliminating your ability to see what you're doing) and also leading to a dangerous tendency of pointing the gun inward toward the body during the holstering process.

I've actually seen more students struggle and become dangerous with CrossBreed and similar hybrid holsters than SERPAs, and that's saying something.

It's also telling that the new CrossBreed aiwb is only designed for small pistols. They don't even offer it for something as easily concealed as a Glock 19. From the photos it appears there is nothing to keep the butt pressed into the body or to control yaw. It also looks like there is a one-size-fits-all back, so if you get one for a tiny gun you're stuck with a giant shirt guard and footprint.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/Portals/0/Images/Appendix-Carry/ac-3guns.png

Jason F
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Specifically looking at the aforementioned photo of the new Crossbreed, look at that LCP/P3AT - how large is that freaking sweat guard on the bottom?! Ugh, talk about uncomfortable.

Todd hit it on the head - they'll sell a boatload of these. But that still won't make them even a good holster. But that a company that can push out as much product as Crossbreed does, is now selling an appendix holster is a good sign in my mind - it's more and more people embracing AIWB as a good choice for concealment.

I tried a Crossbreed for a week a few years back, ugh. Hated it. Went straight back to my VM2 for the next few years and loved it... until I switched to AIWB.

ToddG
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
But that a company that can push out as much product as Crossbreed does, is now selling an appendix holster is a good sign in my mind - it's more and more people embracing AIWB as a good choice for concealment.

Not sure that I agree. A bad holster can do a lot to hurt aiwb's image... especially if that holster makes it harder (read: less safe) to holster. Think about it from the standpoint of, say, IDPA HQ. You've got folks who are pushing to get aiwb legalized and this thing shows up on your desk. Are you now more or less likely to give a green light to random strangers participating at your matches with loaded guns using aiwb?

Jason F
11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
You're right Todd - it could hurt. Very easily. That was actually a comment that I self edited...

These don't look like a good quality AIWB holster to me - though I'm certainly no SME on AIWB. Couple the low quality holster, with the added risks of AIWB, plus folks getting frustrated with reholstering their weapon, etc, shoving it in, forcing it.... and BANG!

I can easily see where folks who aren't being extra careful due to the nature of appendix carry, could increase their chances for an injury (or worse).

And you're right - this will do nothing to sway IDPA HQ towards accepting AIWB with open arms.

SouthNarc
11-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I see more Crossbreeds get torn up and create potential safety issues with floppy sweat guards than just about any other concealment holster, besides a Serpa. I think they're a piece of shit.

orionz06
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Those smaller guns, for many people, still require some means to force the grip in anyway. I also think others will concur that they can also be too short. The j-frame is about the only gun I have found to not benefit with some form of an extension. That is likely due to the shape.

NickA
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Those smaller guns, for many people, still require some means to force the grip in anyway. I also think others will concur that they can also be too short. The j-frame is about the only gun I have found to not benefit with some form of an extension. That is likely due to the shape.

Agreed. I think the ad I saw actually touted the short holster body as a plus, which says volumes about how much R&D they didn't do.

wmu12071
11-08-2012, 12:29 PM
The problem I see with the AIWB situation is that you can't walk in to any gun store that I have ever seen and try anything. The other problem is that if you never draw from or holster while being watched by someone who is safety minded then you don't see the downside of the flat leather backing design and THEY ARE COMFORTABLE. Read on AIWB for 10 minutes online and you will find 10 places that bash it as uncomfortable. I suspect that most people don't train with there holsters so the don't know they don't work, they know they are comfortable. If you have to try 3 "good" holsters to find the one that works for you for AIWB you have to wait at least 12 week for all of them. All these things will lead to people being lazy/cheap/impatient and trying the crossbreed.

MDS
11-08-2012, 12:43 PM
The problem I see with the AIWB situation is that you can't walk in to any gun store that I have ever seen and try anything. The other problem is that if you never draw from or holster while being watched by someone who is safety minded then you don't see the downside of the flat leather backing design and THEY ARE COMFORTABLE. Read on AIWB for 10 minutes online and you will find 10 places that bash it as uncomfortable. I suspect that most people don't train with there holsters so the don't know they don't work, they know they are comfortable. If you have to try 3 "good" holsters to find the one that works for you for AIWB you have to wait at least 12 week for all of them. All these things will lead to people being lazy/cheap/impatient and trying the crossbreed.

+1 Lord knows, I carried a USP45c in a crossbreed for over a year. I'm not proud of it, but there it is. I thought it was the cat's silk pajamas - until I actually started trying to become competent with it. I realized it was a POS and I never looked back. But it set the bar for carry comfort, and I've spent untold hundreds looking for a holster/carry method that doesn't suck while also being as comfortable as that xbreed was...

s0nspark
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
+1 Lord knows, I carried a USP45c in a crossbreed for over a year. I'm not proud of it, but there it is. I thought it was the cat's silk pajamas - until I actually started trying to become competent with it. I realized it was a POS and I never looked back. But it set the bar for carry comfort, and I've spent untold hundreds looking for a holster/carry method that doesn't suck while also being as comfortable as that xbreed was...

I must be in the minority then... I did not find my hybrid holster (Galco King Tuk) comfortable at all. The only plus I found to it was that it did allow me to get the grip positioned nicely behind my hip. Unfortunately I would almost have to dislocate my shoulder to get the holster on and many times on the draw the holster would partially pull out (probably because it was new - I didn't keep it in play long enough to break in, I guess).

AIWB has been the only thing that works for me and my physiology. Still searching for the "perfect" holster but I did at least find something workable with the Vanguard 2 to tide me over during the search.

dbateman
11-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Interesting thread I haven't read thru the whole thing.

One thing that is sort of sticking in my mind is how easy is it to draw your pistol from sitting position say if you were driving a car?

Maybe I am picturing how you carry it a bit wrong.

orionz06
11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I find it easier to draw and reholster from a seated position either in a vehicle or seated elsewhere.

Shellback
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
One thing that is sort of sticking in my mind is how easy is it to draw your pistol from sitting position say if you were driving a car?

Very easy and not nearly as noticeable as behind the hip.

wmu12071
11-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I ordered a Shaggy and read this thread a second time today. I hope this is the start of a great EDC change. If only someone made a gadget to make holstering my Glock safer. ;) In all seriousness, I plan on carrying in the house with an empty gun for awhile.

ROK
11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Quick note-
Just received my Shaggy. Ordered 10/02/2012 and arrived yesterday in the mail. What a well built, thought out piece of equipment! My Glock 21 Gen4 disappears under a tee shirt.

Who'd a thought...

Now to practice and drill.

Thanks for this thread. It opened my eyes to other possibilities.

TGS
11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Quick note-
Just received my Shaggy. Ordered 10/02/2012 and arrived yesterday in the mail. What a well built, thought out piece of equipment! My Glock 21 Gen4 disappears under a tee shirt.

Who'd a thought...

Now to practice and drill.

Thanks for this thread. It opened my eyes to other possibilities.

They are nice, aren't they?

With the JRC AIWB, Jim sent me a strip of velcro to attach to my belt in order to use the velcro belt fixture. I took a portion of it and slapped it onto the back of my Shaggy instead. So if I'm wearing the Shaggy I use the velcro foam blocks from my JRC, and the Shaggy has really come into its own with that foam block pushing the butt in ever so slightly. Wicked comfortable, and I find myself wearing it more towards 2 O'Clock than ever before where I really can confidently conceal with just a lightweight t-shirt.

Supermoose
12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I placed an order with Cane and Derby on October 10th and haven't heard a peep from them. I know they said about 6 weeks, no big deal. I wanted to change my payment info. I've called multiple times and nothing...I e-mailed and haven't gotten a reply.

I can respect a small shop and high demand but you won't even let me update how I want to pay you!

I'm just a bit frustrated as I've been looking forward to seeing how I like AIWB and ditching my MTAC....

lightning fast
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks to this thread, I got into AIWB with a VG2 for my Glock 17... and now a JM Custom holster for my M&P FS. I'm very much looking forward to some instruction time with this new method, particularly when I can get myself into a SouthNarc ECQC.

Recently bought a PPQ, but due to other threads here... I don't foresee that being an AIWB gun (should it prove itself as a carry weapon).

Supermoose
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I sent my e-mail to Cane and Derby on 11/28. I received an e-mail today (12/4) saying when my order was to be shipped and that they were covering the shipping. I'm just going to move they money around to the account I had given them because I don't believe there is any hope in getting that switched before they charge me on Friday.

I hope the wait and lack of communication for the product was worth the slight aggravation.

I'll post pictures and a review upon receipt of my holster and mag carrier which will not be biased towards the communication issue.

Supermoose
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
It all arrived today. Holster and mag carrier.

Initial review:
Mag carrier - Awesome. Holds the magazine tight to the body. Nothing to compare it to except my Fobus one I use for IPSC.

Holster- Uncomfortable. But I've never carried AIWB so I need to play with it. Not blaming that on the holster. FWIW I'm 5'11" and 170 lbs...

John Ralston
12-14-2012, 06:17 PM
It all arrived today. Holster and mag carrier.

Initial review:
Mag carrier - Awesome. Holds the magazine tight to the body. Nothing to compare it to except my Fobus one I use for IPSC.

Holster- Uncomfortable. But I've never carried AIWB so I need to play with it. Not blaming that on the holster. FWIW I'm 5'11" and 170 lbs...

It can take some time to work into AIWB. Wear it for a few hours a day, and switch to another mode when it gets uncomfortable. If you get a little tender, take a day or two off.

JM Campbell
12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
It can take some time to work into AIWB. Wear it for a few hours a day, and switch to another mode when it gets uncomfortable. If you get a little tender, take a day or two off.

Excellent advice, I would also add: the ride height of your pants are also a consideration in comfort.

Cookie Monster
12-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Excellent advice, I would also add: the ride height of your pants are also a consideration in comfort.

Can you break that down, i.e., get anymore specific?

Also a general question to all, IWB mag pouch, any recommendations on position. Been running 1130 seems to compliment the pistol.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

Supermoose
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM

What do you guys suggest? I had been carrying a MTAC around 3:30.

This was digging into the area between my thigh and groin today. That's where it hurt the most. A bit on my belly but not that bad. I put an undershirt on because the grip on my P30 was bugging me. I'll slowly ease out of the undershirt. Only complaint about the mag carrier is the corner of the mag dug into me after a bit.

John Ralston
12-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Can you break that down, i.e., get anymore specific?

Also a general question to all, IWB mag pouch, any recommendations on position. Been running 1130 seems to compliment the pistol.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

Different pants ride at different heights, and comfort changes with that. I have some jeans that ride a bit low and are not very comfortable with AIWB. I prefer pants that ride a few inches above my hip bones (top of the pant).

Try it with different pants and see if certain brands are more comfortable.

Supermoose
12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Different pants ride at different heights, and comfort changes with that. I have some jeans that ride a bit low and are not very comfortable with AIWB. I prefer pants that ride a few inches above my hip bones (top of the pant).

Try it with different pants and see if certain brands are more comfortable.

Any recommendations for brands? Its hard to find pants that ride at the hips but I've found a pair. Any suggestions on belt and placement of the holster?

I currently have a Comptac 1.5" belt.

orionz06
12-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Any recommendations for brands? Its hard to find pants that ride at the hips but I've found a pair. Any suggestions on belt and placement of the holster?

I currently have a Comptac 1.5" belt.

Best pair of pants for AIWB, for me, have been either Carhartt or 7forallmankind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tmoore912
12-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Best pair of pants for AIWB, for me, have been either Carhartt or 7forallmankind.

Mountain Khaki Teton Twill pant. Not the Boardwalk style. I generally like "high rise" pants. Low rise/hip hiphuggers are very uncomfortable for me with appendix.

orionz06
12-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Pants that "fit" are better for me as well. Took some getting used to but they feel better and are much nicer.

Supermoose
12-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Here is two more stupid questions so please bear with me.

Do you guys have the buckle on your belt off to the side? I was browsing another thread on here and it seems like some guys were doing that, with regular style belts and instructor belts.

Second, gun sort of digs into my stomach when I sit. Dead center at 12 it digs into my stomach but not my leg. Both loops to the left of the belt loop on my pants. If I have the loops straddling the belt loop, it digs into my thigh....Thoughts?

I feel as though it's a trade off and either my thigh or stomach will bear the brunt of this...

orionz06
12-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Volund Gearworks Atlas belt has the buckle at 2:30 for me, right handed. My leather belt, Tanner Goods, has the buckle as close to the 11:00 belt loop as I can get it.

Supermoose
12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Has anyone added some kind of padding to the holster? It's really digging into the crease between my leg and groin.

Other than that, its just awkward adjusting to it's new position.

jon volk
12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Has anyone added some kind of padding to the holster? It's really digging into the crease between my leg and groin.

What holster are you using?

EDIT: nevermind, went back a page and read.

TCinVA
12-19-2012, 08:44 AM

I haven't felt the need to do that. Just offhand, I'd say that perhaps your placement isn't bang on yet. Part of learning to carry AIWB is getting used to the feel of it. The other part is finding your sweet spot. It took me a couple of weeks to finally get the proper place on my belt line sorted out.

Pants that "fit" are better for me as well. Took some getting used to but they feel better and are much nicer.

I've also found that, at least for me, pants/jeans that are meant to ride lower on the hips work better for AIWB than pants with a higher waist.

JMS
12-24-2012, 04:52 PM

I take it that you have the PIC....? Last I looked, they were still offering to make folks the Pardus AIWB, but were gonna phase that out; don't remember what that timeline was.

RE: the PIC

Yes, but the padding was to lever the grip more in the vertical plane, toward my body. Providing padding was a second-hand effect, not the intent, but it certainly does that.

I also re-drilled the holes for that wing that mounts the belt loops, one each on the wing and on the holster body. Changed where the wing attaches to the holster, so that the top of the mouth of the holster was even with the top of the wing. This raised the entire thing and allowed me to get a complete grip of the draw more readily. I did this first, which raised the entire gun about 3/8", which in turn made the butt want to come away from my gut, so I went to futzing with velcro and adhesives for the padding mod.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5465/picmod.jpg

Supermoose
12-27-2012, 02:53 PM
I take it that you have the PIC....? Last I looked, they were still offering to make folks the Pardus AIWB, but were gonna phase that out; don't remember what that timeline was.

RE: the PIC

Yes, but the padding was to lever the grip more in the vertical plane, toward my body. Providing padding was a second-hand effect, not the intent, but it certainly does that.

I also re-drilled the holes for that wing that mounts the belt loops, one each on the wing and on the holster body. Changed where the wing attaches to the holster, so that the top of the mouth of the holster was even with the top of the wing. This raised the entire thing and allowed me to get a complete grip of the draw more readily. I did this first, which raised the entire gun about 3/8", which in turn made the butt want to come away from my gut, so I went to futzing with velcro and adhesives for the padding mod.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5465/picmod.jpg

Thanks for that information. I'm not sure that will help. I ordered new pants to see if that would help. However, over the last week I've become more comfortable with it. Its now only REALLY bothersome after a long period of sitting down or bending over to tie my shoe..

EMC
01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
edit: nevermind, found the other thread.

wmu12071
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I got my shaggy a few days ago. I have some work to do... I think I'm a little to well insulated in my mid-section right now. I have found that wearing my belt a little looser makes it better for sitting and bending but there is NO WAY I can tie my shoes with my G19 or G17. Lastly I print pretty bad, I walked into the room and my girlfriend laughed... :confused:

Gooseboy
01-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey yall. What is the consensus on which kydex AIWB holster is pretty low riding?

I'm looking for something like the Desbian #4 that rides pretty low, but preferably in kydex. (some sort of pull snap or quick release preferred)

Everything ive seen seems to ride higher than I would like.

-thanks fellas!

Cecil Burch
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Hey yall. What is the consensus on which kydex AIWB holster is pretty low riding?

I don't know about consensus, but IME there is no better kydex holster than the Keeper. It rides lower than my Desbiens #4, is more comfortable, conceals better than my Shaggy, and is just as fast to draw from as any other holster.

Wendell
01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey yall. What is the consensus on which kydex AIWB holster is pretty low riding? I'm looking for something like the Desbian #4 that rides pretty low, but preferably in kydex. (some sort of pull snap or quick release preferred) Everything ive seen seems to ride higher than I would like.

Are you sure that a low ride is more important to you than a clean draw?

I ordered a Desbien #4 Hardcore reverse cant high-ride, and what arrived was a standard (low ride) model. (Sending it back was not worth the shipping, IMO.) The low ride means a compromised draw. It just doesn't work.
Compared to a CCC Shaggy (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm?productId=12), it's night and day.

Seriously, on Monday morning, buy a Shaggy.

Gooseboy
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Are you sure that a low ride is more important to you than a clean draw?

I ordered a Desbien #4 Hardcore reverse cant high-ride, and what arrived was a standard (low ride) model. (Sending it back was not worth the shipping, IMO.) The low ride means a compromised draw. It just doesn't work.
Compared to a CCC Shaggy (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm?productId=12), it's night and day.

Seriously, on Monday morning, buy a Shaggy.

Yea I'm ok with a slower draw, i really need the gun to be invisible. Im looking at Kobelson's minimum adjusta-cant and it seems promising.

As for The Keeper its just WAY out of my price range. Im a college student and really am trying to save as many pennies as I can. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else have some advice?

JDM
01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
In my experience, the shaggy is a considerably easier holster to conceal than a DGL #4. For me, concealment comes in the form of a tucked grip and slide, not low ride height. Unless something has changed, the desbiens holsters lack any facility to "tuck the butt", which makes it much less concealable on my person.

Second the recommendation for a shaggy, or a JM custom kydex AIWB, which works just a good as a shaggy for me.

vcdgrips
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Concur re the last few posts. I have been doing AIWB with a G35 since 2009. Both the Keepers and the Shaggy are far more concealable the the #4 as they tuck the butt of the gun much better. The Keepers rides a bit higher than the Shaggy.

IMHO, the gun must ride at least as high as needed to cleanly aquire a good grip on the gun without your knuckles dragging against the belt.

Having said that, the #4 is a very well made holster. I had one and sold it off in favor of the Shaggy before I stared using a Keepers as well.

MDS
01-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Yea I'm ok with a slower draw, i really need the gun to be invisible. Im looking at Kobelson's minimum adjusta-cant and it seems promising.

As for The Keeper its just WAY out of my price range. Im a college student and really am trying to save as many pennies as I can. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else have some advice?

Man, I hate to kill your buzz but if you want a truly concealable holster, you'll have to save a few more pennies....It's not about the draw speed, it's about the newest innovations in concealability. The Shaggy blew the doors off previous holsters with the tuck on the vertical axis, the Keeper added some tuck on the horizontal axis. I can wear my Keeper literally with a wet t shirt. In the worst case you can see a lump on my belt, looks like a big buckle, but the gun is invisible.

Again, if you really need the gun to be invisible, don't waste your precious pennies on any of those other rigs. People here have been experimenting with all of them for a long time, and if they say it won't work, it won't. Save your pennies until you can afford a holster that will do what you need, otherwise, you'll be wasting what little money you have already.

Sorry, man, I wish I had a different answer!

willardcw4
01-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Read through all 68 pages (thus far) and have learned quite a bit of info. Have carried AIWB previously but never in a decent quality holster.

I ordered a HK45CT (am picking up a non-threaded barrel so it will be carried as a HK45C) and have narrowed down my holster choices to the following:

CCC Shaggy
Keepers AIWB
JR Customs AIWB-CDA
JM AIWB

I know every person is different - I'm 5' 9", 150 lbs, 32" waist... torso is on the shorter side. Just trying to figure out which one to bite down on. Any additional tid bits or pics would be great!

Leaning towards Keepers or JR Customs, impressed by the modular designs.

JM Campbell
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I have both the cda and keepers, I have used the rest on your list.

Leather the cda is hard to beat now for kydex the keepers worked better for me then the shaggy and tucked more with the supplied wedges.

I just started running 5 shot leathers SME holster and am very impressed with it.

To be honest if you pick up any on your list and don't like it resale will be pretty quick and not much of a loss so your safe to pick one and try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

willardcw4
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
I ordered a JR Custom AIWB-CDA Holster (slim cut) + a 1.5" leather belt through Jim. Looking forward to the combo and will report back with my novice 'review'!

SGT_Calle
01-15-2013, 07:17 AM
I ordered a JR Custom AIWB-CDA Holster (slim cut) + a 1.5" leather belt through Jim. Looking forward to the combo and will report back with my novice 'review'!

I'm using a JRC as well with my HK45c and its my absolute favorite setup. I'm as thin as you, but taller/heavier, and moved up to 34 pants to carry and it works great. Jut make sure to pick up a 8 round mag, those 10 rounders stick out a bit, lol.

willardcw4
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm using a JRC as well with my HK45c and its my absolute favorite setup. I'm as thin as you, but taller/heavier, and moved up to 34 pants to carry and it works great. Jut make sure to pick up a 8 round mag, those 10 rounders stick out a bit, lol.

Already got some 8 rounders ready and waiting :) also picking up some flat floor plates!

TElmer2
01-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Really, really stupid question...

Why don't people make AIWB for pistol equipped with a light?

It seems carrying with a pistol light is more and more common, the AIWB is a very comfortable, concealable position, and adding a light to that style of holster, if done right, would not add that much to the area in question.

Just a thought...my flame suit is on. :cool:

orionz06
01-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Size. I have an Inforce APL right now that might show some promise. I also think the CT Lightguard will do the trick but I have yet to press one of my own. I have only made one IWB for a CT Lightguard and I think with a little more time at it the implementation could be easy and it would work for many people.

Haraise
01-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Size. I have an Inforce APL right now that might show some promise. I also think the CT Lightguard will do the trick but I have yet to press one of my own. I have only made one IWB for a CT Lightguard and I think with a little more time at it the implementation could be easy and it would work for many people.

The X-Fer is a minimalist holster for the X300 AIWB, and they're making one for the APL (I emailed them).

I'm not sure about any lights there, as it seems the light wants to be right where your thigh likes existing.

Default.mp3
01-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Really, really stupid question...

Why don't people make AIWB for pistol equipped with a light?

It seems carrying with a pistol light is more and more common, the AIWB is a very comfortable, concealable position, and adding a light to that style of holster, if done right, would not add that much to the area in question.

Just a thought...my flame suit is on. :cool:

I pulled off AIWB with an X300 on my P30LS in an RCS Phantom (designed for an X400) well enough in an AFHF. After some minor modifications to the Phantom, it's now even more comfortable and concealable. Granted, I have never run the gun without a light and cannot compare to a dedicated AIWB holster for a WML-less pistol, but I'm willing to use this set-up as my daily get-up. Also, my experiences in the classes I've been have shown that people who conceal carry with a WML seem to be fairly few; I've always been the only person with a WML in the four classes I've been to. Looking at the photos of the various AARs on different sites seem to suggest that this is indeed the case, particularly for non-carbine courses. I am now somewhat curious as to just what percent of the CCWing population carries with a WML in their main set-up.

Wendell
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Why don't people make AIWB for pistol equipped with a light? It seems carrying with a pistol light is more and more common, the AIWB is a very comfortable, concealable position, and adding a light to that style of holster, if done right, would not add that much to the area in question.

This is a review of Kolbeson Leatherworks Inside the pants Kydex holster for a Glock 23, published on Jun 2, 2012 by UpArmored100 (http://www.youtube.com/user/UpArmored100?feature=watch).

<span class="yt-user-separator"><em>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-JN2CvknI

EChryst
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
The X-Fer is a minimalist holster for the X300 AIWB....

I've used the X-Fer for my 19 / 300. It works really well for a guy who is 6'5. I also like that fact that its light specific so it can be for anything I've got the X300 mounted to.

Captain
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
I just got my first AIWB holster - the one from JM Custom Kydex. I'm a big guy (6'0", 270lbs) and did not expect to find this comfortable at all, but recognized the value it brought. I figured I'd get it, wouldn't be able to find a spot for it and would put it in the pile of things I'd use when I finally lost weight... It arrived today at work. I unloaded the M&P9, took my TLR-1 off of it, and put the holster on, a little more to the outside than some of you guys wear yours... and it's damn near perfect. Of course, I've only sat for a couple of minutes at a time as I use a standing desk at work, but that M&P disappeared and what little sitting, kneeling, etc. I've had to do today has been more than comfortable... Now I just need to remember to reload my weapon before I head home.

Bowman_15
02-07-2013, 12:08 AM
This thread has been a wealth of knowledge. The amount of information that I have found on this forum is phenomenal. I appreciate everyone that has contributed. Being someone that is new to pistols and concealed carry, this has been extremely helpful.

On the note of aiwb holsters, I am looking into the JRC-CDA and the SME. I know the SME has just come out onto the market but there are are a few individuals on this forum that have used it for quite some time. I am mainly wondering how these two holsters compare for someone that has worn both holsters. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Up1911Fan
02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Thought i'd take a pic of a few of the quality AIWB holster's discussed here to show ride height and such.

L-R: CCC Shaggy (G17 holding my SIRT), JM Custom G19, JRC AIWB-CDA with a G19 (set up with offset extender and tuckable belt clip).

L-R: Same Shaggy, Raven Concealment VG2 (G19), Same JM Custom.

Outlier
02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
I've got a question for Up1911fan. The JRC holster does have some height adjustment, correct? If so, where do you have it positioned? Thanks.

Up1911Fan
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I've got a question for Up1911fan. The JRC holster does have some height adjustment, correct? If so, where do you have it positioned? Thanks.

It's set up on the lowest setting using the off-set extender. Could be moved to the upper hole's to ride a little higher.

Here's the standard belt loop, 4 different holes for ride height. The holster as shown has both extra tuck pad's and the extra yaw pad installed. I can tuck a G19 under a fairly form fitted shirt ( i'm 5'10", 160, 31" waist). This set up forces the gun into you for concealment. If I could only have or keep one of these it would be the JRC due to the adjustments. With that said I carry the Shaggy or JM most often and keep this set up as a tuckable.

SamMan23
02-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Are any of the AIWB manufacturer's offering velcro clips? Are any of them tuckable?

98z28
02-22-2013, 08:06 PM
JRC referenced above does: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4039-Business-Casual-Carrying-My-Experience-and-Help-Requested!/page3

SamMan23
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
JRC referenced above does: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4039-Business-Casual-Carrying-My-Experience-and-Help-Requested!/page3
I should've asked if any of the kydex aiwb makers are offering velcro tuckable options?

Wendell
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I should've asked if any of the kydex aiwb makers are offering velcro tuckable options?

The Quick Cover IWB (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=1) is tuckable. And CCC (http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/) does custom work.

If you don't see what you are looking for, feel free to contact me and we will talk about what you need. The same goes for options that are not listed on standard products. Let me know what you want and I will customize any products to your needs or we will design something new for you. (http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/)

<http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/>

Gooseboy
02-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Alright so I got a hold of an MP9c WITH an external safety. I ordered a Kydex holster for it (g code INCOG) and while it conceals well it is incredibly painful because instead of molding the holster to fit tight around the gun and safety the kydex just creates a big bump around the safety that is not molded tightly, this digs into my stomach bad. (Pictures soon)

So my question is this does anyone know of a leather or kydex holster that is molded tightly around a safety so that the holster does not protrude so far back?

Or if I get a holster without a high sweat shield (or even something like the vanguard) do you ink the safety will disengage throughout the day?

SPDGG
02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
So my question is this does anyone know of a leather or kydex holster that is molded tightly around a safety so that the holster does not protrude so far back?

Or if I get a holster without a high sweat shield (or even something like the vanguard) do you ink the safety will disengage throughout the day?
"Gooseboy", Check out the youtube clip on the last page on the JM Custom Kydex AIWB thread:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review/page18

Gooseboy
02-28-2013, 12:59 AM
"Gooseboy", Check out the youtube clip on the last page on the JM Custom Kydex AIWB thread:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review/page18

Thanks for the heads up. I watched it and the holster looks good. But hot dang that thing looks like it sticks out 5 inches on that guy. Is that just the camera?

texasaggie2005
02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Thought i'd take a pic of a few of the quality AIWB holster's discussed here to show ride height and such.

L-R: Same Shaggy, Raven Concealment VG2 (G19), Same JM Custom.

Up1911Fan,

Seems to me the Shaggy and JM Custom are very similar. Which is your preference? I'm guessing the Shaggy, since you got rid of the JM.

BTW, I'm really liking the JM Custom, but I also have a Shaggy on order, was just curious what your thoughts were.

Soldiernursenomo
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
New member... I've not read any thoughts on a Remora or Stickyholster used for AIWB?

s0nspark
03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
New member... I've not read any thoughts on a Remora or Stickyholster used for AIWB?

I have a Remora but never use it for serious carry... It generally stays put with smaller guns but I don't care so much for the idea of it not being anchored somehow. Placement (gun is in the same place every time when you go to draw) can vary too which, depending on how you look at it, can be a bad thing.

Not a bad holster I guess but I just use it in the glove box ;-)

s0nspark
03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Keepers Concealment holster for my G20. I like the features and the adjustability it promises - I'll report back once I have it in 2 to 60 months ;-)

Really curious to see how it will stack up against the RCS VG2! That thing has almost spoiled me.

Up1911Fan
03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Up1911Fan,

Seems to me the Shaggy and JM Custom are very similar. Which is your preference? I'm guessing the Shaggy, since you got rid of the JM.

BTW, I'm really liking the JM Custom, but I also have a Shaggy on order, was just curious what your thoughts were.

Both are great. The JM with the extra tuck hide's a little better. The JM rides a touch lower. I get a better firing grip on the Shaggy. I wouldn't think twice about using either one. I'm sure i'll be ordering atleast another of each for different guns.

Up1911Fan
03-01-2013, 10:03 AM

And you probably won't.

BoppaBear
03-07-2013, 09:02 PM

I don't have any experience with the Remora, but I do have a Sticky...for me, I wouldn't even use it for a quick "grab and go" IWB holster. If I pocket carried, that would be one thing, but not for any form of IWB carry. I like things to be connected to things.

The Sticky is in the console of my car.

helothar
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
My Shaggy just came in the a few days ago, and while it can be comfortable while I'm standing it is poking me while I sit making it not really be viable for long periods.
I have this scientific diagram to illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/8edccgI.jpg
The black line is where my belt is, the red dot is where it pokes me.
I have tried moving it around but other spots present worse problems for bending over etc.
Gun is a g19.

Any suggestions? I have been using a leather belt, but I just ordered an Atlas belt to see if off setting the buckle will provide me with more options.

CCT125US
03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
@Helothar.... I offset my buckle to the 9:30 position and carry my 5 shot SME at 12:30

JV_
03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
My Shaggy just came in the a few days ago, and while it can be comfortable while I'm standing it is poking me while I sit making it not really be viable for long periods.

Pick your belt up just a little and see if the issue is minimized. If it is, you can order a higher ride belt loop to raise the gun up just a bit.

orionz06
03-29-2013, 05:42 PM
I have had more than one customer end up with a slight cant using the different holes in my holsters. Raise, lower it, and tilt it. No reason the Shaggy shouldn't work.

BoppaBear
03-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I have this scientific diagram to illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/8edccgI.jpg
The black line is where my belt is, the red dot is where it pokes me.
I have tried moving it around but other spots present worse problems for bending over etc.
Gun is a g19.

Any suggestions? I have been using a leather belt, but I just ordered an Atlas belt to see if off setting the buckle will provide me with more options.

Is this your first AIWB holster? If so, this position will take some getting used to. It's likely your "pelvic region" is not used to the contact that a holster brings to the table. This said, I'm still waiting on my 2 Shaggies, so I can't really compare a Shaggy experience to yours. I just know that when I started AIWB carry, my appendix area was a little tender for a week or so. I hope mine are coming soon.

Out of curiousity, what was your order number? If you remember.

helothar
03-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the replies gents, I don't believe the cant is adjustable on the shaggy, so I'll try raising the belt up some and see if that helps.

re: my order
I ordered on Jan 21, order number 2965, order shipped 3/22

BoppaBear
03-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies gents, I don't believe the cant is adjustable on the shaggy, so I'll try raising the belt up some and see if that helps.

re: my order
I ordered on Jan 21, order number 2965, order shipped 3/22

Thanks! Hope you get yours worked out. I ordered on 2/1, so I shouldn't be too far behind.

Not HighSpeed
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Yay! Mine is right behind yours then, ordered 2-3.

BoppaBear
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Yay! Mine is right behind yours then, ordered 2-3.

Shipped today!!

Kennydale
04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I am very new to guns. I am 62 retired and started shooting Nov 2012. I have taken a few good courses and have had close to 10 hours range time so far. Just received my Conceal Carry License. I have ordered a 3speed Holster http://3speedholster.com. Though it is primarily designed for deep concealment. I want to experiment (with weapon unloaded) with the best possible positioning for me. I like the Appendix Carry because it seems it might make the weapon easier to access in an actual setting. My weapon is a striker fire, with a trigger safety and a manual thumb safety. still the best safety is YOU. but under stress anything that can go wrong, usually does. So I plan on a long break in period with weapon and holster. If you think I am crazy, feel free to say so (but give a good reason why)

Wendell
04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I have ordered a 3speed Holster http://3speedholster.com. Though it is primarily designed for deep concealment. I want to experiment (with weapon unloaded) with the best possible positioning for me. I like the Appendix Carry because it seems it might make the weapon easier to access in an actual setting. My weapon is a striker fire, with a trigger safety and a manual thumb safety. still the best safety is YOU. but under stress anything that can go wrong, usually does. So I plan on a long break in period with weapon and holster. If you think I am crazy, feel free to say so (but give a good reason why)
We need a GIWB (Groin Carry) thread.

BoppaBear
04-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I am very new to guns. I am 62 retired and started shooting Nov 2012. I have taken a few good courses and have had close to 10 hours range time so far. Just received my Conceal Carry License. I have ordered a 3speed Holster http://3speedholster.com. Though it is primarily designed for deep concealment. I want to experiment (with weapon unloaded) with the best possible positioning for me. I like the Appendix Carry because it seems it might make the weapon easier to access in an actual setting. My weapon is a striker fire, with a trigger safety and a manual thumb safety. still the best safety is YOU. but under stress anything that can go wrong, usually does. So I plan on a long break in period with weapon and holster. If you think I am crazy, feel free to say so (but give a good reason why)

As hard as it may be (often for me too), you need to walk before you run. To me, AIWB is a little beyond running, but that's just me. I personally think that 5 months and a couple classes, with no experience carrying a loaded weapon (this is an assumption based on your post), is too soon to be carrying AIWB. I'm not trying to make AIWB sound super ninja, high-speed operator, but it's not the safest mode of carry. No position is forgiving of a ND, but an ND while carrying in that position can just flat kill you.

Being new to guns (or at least handguns based on your post), and to CCW, you have not yet experienced carrying in public. Despite the classes and range time (which I applaud), the nuances you learn carrying in other positions as a beginner, will carry over to AIWB when it's time. They will be committed to muscle memory. This isn't necessarily the only path to go, but I had A LOT of draws (dry and loaded) before I started carrying AIWB. The basics were well engrained into my muscle memory.

No doubt that AIWB allows for quick access to the weapon, with almost no telegraphing of what is to come, but it also entails having a loaded weapon pointed at your pelvic area (the jewels are not as worrisome as the femoral artery and all of its friends in that anatomical region).

A couple things to think about:

1. Anything other than the practical traits of AIWB that made you consider it as your first position of carry?
2. What type of training have you gotten? Was it focused on concealed carry and were you at least carrying IWB for the course?
3. Do you feel comfortable enough with your new pistol (based on your description, an M&P?) to engage the safety every time you re-holster?
4. Have you done so many repetitions that you have engrained in your muscle memory to engage the safety, check to make sure your cover garment is not going to be re-holstered with your weapon, and that you index your trigger finger every time? Re-holstering clothing (shirt jacket) and gear (pull tabs) are often a cause of ND's.
5. A couple thoughts on the holster, and they are just thoughts, so take them for what they are worth (our preferences may differ). Don't expect it to be your last. The one photo I found online made the holster appear to have a slight cant that pushed the grip further toward the center line (12 o'clock). This, along with the fact that it is for "deep concealment" (it rides low, on top of your belt), may make getting a good, solid purchase on the grip difficult. That initial grip on the gun can be the difference between being on target with your first shot and completely flying the shot. It has to be solid, and as close to "perfect" as possible. With it riding as low as it appears, your non-trigger fingers may actually be blocked by your belt from wrapping completely around the grip, or the interference may slow you down. The leather backing may also be another point of interference with your grip.

There are a lot of things you learn with repetition, all of which are important with any carry position, but a must with AIWB. At the end of the day, only you know "where you are" in your evolution from new gun owner to carrying a loaded weapon in public. I commend you for almost immediately getting training, and hope you continue, but would feel it too soon if it were me.

Kennydale
04-07-2013, 08:25 PM
As hard as it may be (often for me too), you need to walk before you run. To me, AIWB is beyond running, but that's just me. I personally think that 5 months and a couple classes, with no experience carrying a loaded weapon (this is an assumption based on your post), is too soon to be carrying AIWB. I'm not trying to make AIWB sound super ninja, high-speed operator, but it's not the safest mode of carry. No position is forgiving of a ND, but an ND while carrying in that position can just flat kill you.

Being new to guns (or at least handguns based on your post), and to CCW, you have not yet experienced carrying in public. Despite the classes and range time (which I applaud), the nuances you learn carrying in other positions as a beginner, will carry over to AIWB when it's time. They will be committed to muscle memory. This isn't necessarily the only path to go, but I had A LOT of draws (dry and loaded) before I started carrying AIWB. The basics were well engrained into my muscle memory.

No doubt that AIWB allows for quick access to the weapon, with almost no telegraphing of what is to come, but it also entails having a loaded weapon pointed at your pelvic area (the jewels are not as worrisome as the femoral artery and all of its friends in that anatomical region).

A couple things to think about:

1. Anything other than the practical traits of AIWB that made you consider it as your first position of carry?
2. What type of training have you gotten? Was it focused on concealed carry and were you at least carrying IWB for the course?
3. Do you feel comfortable enough with your new pistol (based on your description, an M&P?) to engage the safety every time you re-holster?
4. Have you done so many repetitions that you have engrained in your muscle memory to engage the safety, check to make sure your cover garment is not going to be re-holstered with your weapon, and that you index your trigger finger every time? Re-holstering clothing (shirt jacket) and gear (pull tabs) are often a cause of ND's.
5. A couple thoughts on the holster, and they are just thoughts, so take them for what they are worth (our preferences may differ). Don't expect it to be your last. The one photo I found online made the holster appear to have a slight cant that pushed the grip further toward the center line (12 o'clock). This, along with the fact that it is for "deep concealment" (it rides low, on top of your belt), may make getting a good, solid purchase on the grip difficult. That initial grip on the gun can be the difference between being on target with your first shot and completely flying the shot. It has to be solid, and as close to "perfect" as possible. With it riding as low as it appears, your non-trigger fingers may actually be blocked by your belt from wrapping completely around the grip, or the interference may slow you down.

There are a lot of things you learn with repetition, all of which are important with any carry position, but a must with AIWB. At the end of the day, only you know "where you are" in your evolution from new gun owner to carrying a loaded weapon in public. I commend you for almost immediately getting training, and hope you continue, but would feel it too soon if it were me.

Your probably right in that respect, you need to walk first. What i like about this system it has the velcro belt and can be worn I imagine in various positions. Trust me I'll be doing a lot of Dry Fire.

MGW
04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Let us know how this goes for you. I'm thinking about a belly band for when I need a tucked in shirt and came across this holster.

Your probably right in that respect, you need to walk first. What i like about this system it has the velcro belt and can be worn I imagine in various positions. Trust me I'll be doing a lot of Dry Fire.

BoppaBear
04-08-2013, 06:48 PM

I hear you, and let me put out there that I'm no instructor, professional, ex-military/LEO, etc. There are a lot of people on this forum and others that truly have lived these methods, used them in a fight, and are much more experienced and accomplished than I am. I say this because I re-read my post and thought it sounded a little "know it all", and that's not me.

It sounds like you're going in the right direction, and I was not in any way trying to suggest you aren't. More people should take the initiative that you are. AIWB is a great way to carry, if you can get over the "danger" aspect of it.

Also, I was not in any way trying to imply that you aren't making the right choice or are not capable of doing it. Just that it's not always the best way for first-timers to carry, and people tend to be drawn to AIWB by way of reading the internet without doing the research and getting the experience that will keep them safe.

ToddG
04-08-2013, 08:06 PM
AIWB is a great way to carry, if you can get over the "danger" aspect of it.

It's not "danger" it's DANGER.

It's very serious and anyone considering carrying aiwb needs to be extremely honest with himself about those dangers.

JConn
04-08-2013, 09:26 PM

It's very serious and anyone considering carrying aiwb needs to be extremely honest with himself about those dangers.

This.

I've been carrying this way for about a year and a half, and I'm very comfortable, but I'm still a bit nervous every time I holster. I consider that a good thing.

MDS
04-09-2013, 06:02 AM
I regularly visualize just what flimsy kind of frictional forces are keeping the gun from firing. In detail, I go through the imagery of an HST in the groin, from a best case scenario of shooting off my sexy bits, to the very likely scenario of bleeding to death from a severed fa. Alternative endings include having the wife save my life with the tourniquet in the trunk, though I often lose the leg in that version.

With AIWB, there's no room for error. As tlg says, if you fuck up, you die.

BoppaBear
04-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Completely agree, and was not downplaying it with the use of "". Should have bolded. It is the most dangerous mode of carry and should not be taken lightly. I am also a firm believer that it should not be a beginner's first carry position.

BoppaBear
04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
This.

I've been carrying this way for about a year and a half, and I'm very comfortable, but I'm still a bit nervous every time I holster. I consider that a good thing.

I'm right there with you, and got a lot out of reading this thread alone, prior to making the switch about 6 months ago. The article written by Todd back in March was also a great read. I consciously make sure to inspect before re-holstering, angle the grip into my stomach, etc., etc. I'm comfortable with the movements, manipulation, etc., but it's not a carry position to get too comfortable with.

BillP
04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I remember some years back when Todd and SLG were kicking around the idea of AIWB. I thought they were crazy. Regardless, it didn't work for my carry environment (suit) as well as a strong side IWB did so it didn't matter.

Fast forward a few years and I have two guns I carry off-duty: a Glock 19 and a J-frame. The Glock rides in an IWB, because that's just what we do with a carry gun...the J-frame starts being used as the dog walking or yard mowing gun...in a Ready Tactical kydex IWB. It happens to ride AIWB perfectly, and before I realized it, I was hooked on the comfort, speed of access, and ability to carry in shorts and a t-shirt.

Now I no longer work with a duty belt. When I am high profile for work, I wear a molle external armor vest with my primary handgun mounted on it. When I am low profile, I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, blending in with the populace (doing surveillance) and spending a lot of time in a vehicle. Since my primary duty gun (Glock 21) doesn't work for that, I leave it on the vest and now rock the 19 when I'm "dressed down".

Todd, the kool-aid tasted too good. I started playing with AIWB, working vehicle-based drills, clinch IFWA drills, and looking at what would conceal best under a t-shirt, and I'm a convert. I picked up a pre-owned but unused Desbiens #4 RC hardcore on another forum (skipping the 6 month wait and saving about $50 in the process). I broke it in through some rigorous dry fire and crawl/walk/run live fire work.

My name is BillP and I am an AIWB convert. I blame you, Todd. And you too, SLG.

Jason F
04-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I remember some years back when Todd and SLG were kicking around the idea of AIWB. I thought they were crazy. Regardless, it didn't work for my carry environment (suit) as well as a strong side IWB did so it didn't matter.

Fast forward a few years....
Todd, the kool-aid tasted too good. I started playing with AIWB, working vehicle-based drills, clinch IFWA drills, and looking at what would conceal best under a t-shirt, and I'm a convert. I picked up a pre-owned but unused Desbiens #4 RC hardcore on another forum (skipping the 6 month wait and saving about $50 in the process). I broke it in through some rigorous dry fire and crawl/walk/run live fire work.

My name is BillP and I am an AIWB convert. I blame you, Todd. And you too, SLG.

I was having the exact same thoughts this morning while I was dressing and putting on my AIWB holster. I'm literally within a week or so of starting to "try AIWB", you know, just kicking tires....

A year ago I took AFHF, and before that I'd heard of AIWB but didn't know anyone who carried that way. So I'd definitely never seen it or been able to discuss the pro/con's about it.

Watching ToddG run his Glock AIWB opened me to the idea of AIWB. Came home, and a week or two later I found a Dale Fricke holster used... just you know, "to give it a try". Within a month I was converted - the only time I use a traditional IWB any more is at IDPA (unfortunately).

ToddG
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
I remember some years back when Todd and SLG were kicking around the idea of AIWB. I thought they were crazy.

Yeah, but before that when we'd all go to the range we all thought it was crazy with a Glock. I thought it was crazy with any gun, though SLG had carried AIWB for a long time before moving to DC.

BillP
04-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but before that when we'd all go to the range we all thought it was crazy with a Glock. I thought it was crazy with any gun, though SLG had carried AIWB for a long time before moving to DC.

Yet here I type with a Glock in my #4...

Swenson Bobcat
04-23-2013, 12:00 PM
I have found AIWB a bit better with a 5 degree forward cant. It keeps the holster from pressing into my thigh when seated.

ToddG
05-15-2013, 01:09 AM
AOWB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=keqwALyFFME#!
(at 0:20)

justintime
05-15-2013, 03:47 AM
I did not notice it was inside his belt the first time.

Up1911Fan
05-15-2013, 12:02 PM
AOWB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=keqwALyFFME#!
(at 0:20)

I for one am shocked their not sticking with their Kimbers.

Josh Runkle
05-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Alternative endings include having the wife save my life with the tourniquet in the trunk, though I often lose the leg in that version.

The Femoral Artery is very elastic and can shrink into the pelvic area. It would be more important that she dig into the wound, find the FA and apply pressure with her finger tips. A tourniquet may not help at all, even if placed above the wound. You may just bleed out internally into the pelvic girdle.

ToddG
05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
The Femoral Artery is very elastic and can shrink into the pelvic area. It would be more important that she dig into the wound, find the FA and apply pressure with her finger tips. A tourniquet may not help at all, even if placed above the wound. You may just bleed out internally into the pelvic girdle.

Paraphrase: AIWB is great unless it kitten kills you.

YVK
05-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Paraphrase: AIWB is great unless it kitten kills you.

I compressed about 800 femorals in my life, give or take a hundred. Wanna hire me as independent consultant to give a half hour or so practical seminar during your appendix classes? Think about it as a marketing tool too, how many instructors offer that. For friends, my fees are modest.

Kennydale
05-24-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/attachments/defensive-carry-tactical-training/73625d1369274598-aiwb-proper-draw-presentation-dscn4634.jpg

I have yet tried to draw for any speed. I have been practicing slowly pulling it straight up and trying to train my muscle to recognize without looking when I clear the Holster so i can rotate gun and extend it forward . I do this basically in front of the Bathroom Mirror (And yes it is unloaded and safety checked)

Clyde from Carolina
05-25-2013, 09:42 PM
I compressed about 800 femorals in my life, give or take a hundred. Wanna hire me as independent consultant to give a half hour or so practical seminar during your appendix classes? Think about it as a marketing tool too, how many instructors offer that. For friends, my fees are modest.

Very, very good food for thought. I have switched to (okay, am in the process of switching to) the HK P-series because as careful as I am, (and I'm very careful) I absolutely l-o-v-e the ability to ride a hammer when carrying appendix. My old P7s are great for appendix carry (meaning safe and fast) but getting harder and harder to support. And time has marched on, design-wise.

I shoot a Glock better than pretty much anything I've tried, but I have decided to train up on a LEM and a P2000 (or two or three) for peace of mind. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Pistol-Forum. :cool:

Slopes-2-Shores
05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here and being directed to this thread from another forum is how I found y'all. And I'm glad I did, very informative stuff. Thanks. I'm interested in getting an AIWB rig for my G26. I have a Mitch Rosen CLP for it that wears very comfortably and conceals very well, but it sits low on my belt line and I have a difficult time getting a good grip. I'm more concerned with getting a good draw than 100% covert carry, I don't mind little bulge under my shirt.

I have read all 74 pages of this thread. I have been carrying a J-frame AIWB for a couple of years+ now. I mostly use a FIST #1K ultra-thin Kydex. I don't expect it to last a lifetime but it does work very well for me. I'm 5'8" about 150lbs with a moderately athletic build. I don't know my chest / shoulder size.

Understandably, most of the posts are about AIWB with bigger guns. Well, I spend half my year living and working in a ban-state in a cash business and am limited to 10 round mags. I do have a G19, but am not interested in getting 10 rounders or even having it in the nanny-state. Plus, I have more practice time in with the 26.

I've investigated most of the rigs discussed here and am left confused and a bit overwhelmed. So far I'm considering an Archangel and a Silent Thunder Slim and am open to any suggestions. Would I be better off to get a G19 rig even though the 26 would be my main carry gun? Does anyone here carry a G26/27 AIWB and what do you use?

Thanks in advance for any input. great site here too IMO. Thanks.

-JC

BoppaBear
05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Welcome S2S,

I'm sure there will be plenty of folks that can answer your exact question. I have a G26, but don't carry it, or Glocks in general (personal choice, not a hater). IIRC, there have been people that suggested actually getting AIWB rigs that were for the "next size up" from their model, i.e. compact rig for a subcompact gun. The little bit of extra kydex helps keep the holster from feeling like it's going to roll.

If that is the case, and someone backs my statement up, I would suggest getting one G19 rig and using it for both the 19 and the 26. The dimensions, as far as a holster is concerned, should be identical since they are in the same line and of the same caliber.

I only carry 2 guns, but they each have their own CCC Shaggy. They could actually share the same holster in a pinch, but since I don't have any "roll" issues with the smaller gun (P2000sk), I like it having a holster specifically for it, and one for my compact-ish pistol (P30).

Lots of great options out there for AIWB carry. I saw one of the G-Code INSOC's this weekend, and it is SWEET...very modular. The guy was carrying a G17...

Good luck! I'm sure someone will be along soon that has personal experience with your question.

ToddG
05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
S2S -- I'd simply get a G19-sized aiwb holster. It will actually be more comfortable and concealable than a G26-sized one because the butt won't be as likely to roll forward above the belt. And it will also work for you when you use the G19.

Up1911Fan
05-27-2013, 10:21 PM
I'd skip the Archangel and get a G19 sized JM Custom AIWB or Shaggy.

Mr. Goodtimes
05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd skip the Archangel and get a G19 sized JM Custom AIWB or Shaggy.

This. Or.. S2S, have you considered going to a larger framed pistol like a HK45C? the 45C makes for an excellent carry pistol.

Slopes-2-Shores
05-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Moving up a size to the G19 holster does seem to be the most sensible choice, and I kinda just needed some confirmation and assurance there. I also was wondering if there are any advantages to using the shorter holsters. I don't have a ponch (so far!), and don't think the shorter holster would roll, but it makes sense to accommodate both guns and that's the direction I'll go.

I have toyed with the idea of getting bigger and/or different framed guns. But I have quite a bit of time and gear invested in the two platforms, J-frames and Glocks. One of the primary reasons I've considered it is because in the ban-state, since limited in capacity I could go to a bigger round, .45acp. I could also invest in "pre-Ban" normal capacity mags for the G19 as an option. I do like the idea of having an exposed hammer over the striker fired pistol. Psychological I know....

But for now the whole re-investing in an altogether new set-up is out of the budget.

My higher risk exposure is in the summer running a cash business. Although still a decent neighborhood I am seeing more signs of degradation lately and have been targeted for crime several times. In the winter I usually feel ok with a snub as my primary and equipping differently occasionally. But on the East Coast in the summer I'd rather be more capably equipped.

Thanks,

-JC

Mr. Goodtimes
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Moving up a size to the G19 holster does seem to be the most sensible choice, and I kinda just needed some confirmation and assurance there. I also was wondering if there are any advantages to using the shorter holsters. I don't have a ponch (so far!), and don't think the shorter holster would roll, but it makes sense to accommodate both guns and that's the direction I'll go.

I have toyed with the idea of getting bigger and/or different framed guns. But I have quite a bit of time and gear invested in the two platforms, J-frames and Glocks. One of the primary reasons I've considered it is because in the ban-state, since limited in capacity I could go to a bigger round, .45acp. I could also invest in "pre-Ban" normal capacity mags for the G19 as an option. I do like the idea of having an exposed hammer over the striker fired pistol. Psychological I know....

But for now the whole re-investing in an altogether new set-up is out of the budget.

My higher risk exposure is in the summer running a cash business. Although still a decent neighborhood I am seeing more signs of degradation lately and have been targeted for crime several times. In the winter I usually feel ok with a snub as my primary and equipping differently occasionally. But on the East Coast in the summer I'd rather be more capably equipped.

Thanks,

-JC

If pre ban mags are an option for the 19 that is hands down what I would carry. Out of curiosity, how would anyone knows if the mags were pre ban or not? I've never seen a date stamp on a Glock mag?

mchasal
05-28-2013, 01:12 PM
If pre ban mags are an option for the 19 that is hands down what I would carry. Out of curiosity, how would anyone knows if the mags were pre ban or not? I've never seen a date stamp on a Glock mag?

There are some ways to tell. All the mags produced during the ban will have the "LEO use only text" on them. Also current production mags have the ambi mag release cut, which wasn't produced before the ban. Some info here and you can search for more: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=120715

Slopes-2-Shores
05-28-2013, 04:53 PM
There are some ways to tell. All the mags produced during the ban will have the "LEO use only text" on them. Also current production mags have the ambi mag release cut, which wasn't produced before the ban. Some info here and you can search for more: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=120715

And they can be maintained and made to be reliable too. It's not just that part of my CYA has been to only have here what I bought here while a resident. It's MA, that way there's no compliancy this or that person's list bla bla.

So it's imperative for me the rig fits the G26 as well as the 19 for being a G19 model. Despite technically being legit with compliant mags, I'll just stick with "ban-state originals". Catchy huh?

Question please: The Shaggy is a full coverage sweat guard. Does the G19 Shaggy's sweat-guard stick above or line up awkwardly with a G26 in it? Thanks.

Cheers!

-JC

Up1911Fan
05-28-2013, 07:23 PM
And they can be maintained and made to be reliable too. It's not just that part of my CYA has been to only have here what I bought here while a resident. It's MA, that way there's no compliancy this or that person's list bla bla.

So it's imperative for me the rig fits the G26 as well as the 19 for being a G19 model. Despite technically being legit with compliant mags, I'll just stick with "ban-state originals". Catchy huh?

Question please: The Shaggy is a full coverage sweat guard. Does the G19 Shaggy's sweat-guard stick above or line up awkwardly with a G26 in it? Thanks.

Cheers!

-JC

From the chamber back to the rear of the slide all Glock's of the same caliber are identical. The only additional length is the front of the slide and muzzle end of the barrel.

Slopes-2-Shores
05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
From the chamber back to the rear of the slide all Glock's of the same caliber are identical. The only additional length is the front of the slide and muzzle end of the barrel.

I shoulda known that. Thanks. Maybe a bit of over analysis. I can't buy until early next week anyway.

There are a lot of what seem like good choices. The user's feedback is all over the place here and evrywhere too. The Shaggy is a name I remember reading about positively on another forum a while back. I'll contact manufacturers when the funds are in place about more accurate lead times.

I have decided that whatever rig I get it will be for a G19 but I'm going to use only the G26 in it for summers East. I'm also going to invest in a mag carrier with a clip at the same time. The mag will only be carried coming and going, the gun will be worn for 3-12 hours at a time everyday, all summer. Working in a fast moving food biz, bending reaching etc has been no problem wearing the snub. Bigger T-shirt or golf style polo type and it's good. The G26 in the Rosen CLP does it easily too IMO, I just can't get to it quickly. I'm going to keep it though.

Thanks. Cheers !

-JC