PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Guns

JV_
04-11-2014, 06:03 PM
I hate Sons of Guns.

I wish the Discovery Channel would cancel it and never show the reruns again.

Kyle Reese
04-11-2014, 06:43 PM

lol..

5pins
04-11-2014, 06:47 PM
You don’t have to watch it you know, I don't

JV_
04-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't watch it, but the commercials are plentiful. I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

orionz06
04-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I know not everyone can be a rocket scientist but how they got that crew and they manage to all continue breathing all day without forgetting...

LHS
04-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Well, on the bright side, it ensures that I'll never send one of my AKs to them for work.

JV_
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I can't imagine ever sending them something valuable, like a class 3 gun.

Squall
04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
The vast majority of what goes on seems like pure manufactured drama to me, I did watch the first season. I did enjoy some of the projects early on, but the longer it went on the more absurd it became. I'd like the nuts a bolts on a show like that, but none of them ever seem to last before they turn them into one drama llama kitten fest after another.

Kyle Reese
04-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Too many reputable gunsmiths out there to give these clowns any bidniz.

Casual Friday
04-11-2014, 08:09 PM
That show is a gayum changa...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Tamara
04-11-2014, 10:54 PM
I hate Sons of Guns.

True Fact: The last shop I worked at handled gun wrangling chores for the TV docu-movie Crime Wave (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960750/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5). My Remington Model 11 and a couple of old Smiths appear in it. The producers came up with the idea for a reality show like American Chopper, but with gunsmiths. They pitched my former boss, but Shannon and Bob told them that it'd be hard to film without gunsmiths, since they'd both quit if a camera came in the gunsmithing shack. The same guy somehow found Red Jacket... and thus was born Sons of Guns.

JDM
04-11-2014, 11:48 PM
I haven't had cable TV (or network TV for that matter) in nearly 10 years. What is this show about, and why is it garbage?

CCT125US
04-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Just take the blue pill, and bath in the solitude that is SOG free.

JV_
04-12-2014, 05:48 AM
What is this show about, and why is it garbage?
https://www.youtube.com/show/sonsofguns

TCinVA
04-12-2014, 03:05 PM
SOG was directly responsible for my purchase of an iPad, because they somehow insisted on it being on the air anytime I went to the gym to work on cardio. A couple of weeks of that and I threw in the towel.

LSP972
04-12-2014, 04:08 PM
10-22

JR1572
04-12-2014, 04:45 PM
10-22

I prefer to call it "Sons of Derp."

JR1572

LSP972
04-12-2014, 07:05 PM
A-yup.

JDM
04-12-2014, 09:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/show/sonsofguns

That is...unfortunate.

I hate TV.

Matt O
04-12-2014, 09:47 PM
I hate TV.

Same here. I haven't owned a TV since college and certainly don't miss it at all.

JV_
08-27-2014, 08:17 PM
The show has been cancelled because of his child abuse allegations!
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/08/27/sons-guns-star-arrested-for-allegedly-repeatedly-raping-minor/

orionz06
08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
The show has been cancelled because of his child abuse allegations!
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/08/27/sons-guns-star-arrested-for-allegedly-repeatedly-raping-minor/

So they were OK with the derp...

RevolverRob
08-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Red Jacket Firearms LLC has initiated and received full legal separation as an entity, from William M. Hayden

Argh!!!

I was hoping those tools would get their FFL yanked so fast their heads spun. Between the derp in the show, the portrayal of all gun builders/companies as derp-a-derp idiots, and the lost machine guns and machine gun paperwork that Red Jacket had in the past...I was just hoping they'd end up shut down and out of our lives forever. The worst part is, these idiots were essentially the face of the gun industry and this guy may turn out to be a raging scumbag. Thanks for everything Sons of Guns.

I so rarely feel like people should have their livelihoods taken from them, but these idiots are really near the top of the heap for needing to go find work someplace else.

-Rob

LSP972
08-28-2014, 05:23 AM
I was hoping those tools would get their FFL yanked so fast their heads spun.

Will Hayden DID get his FFL yanked; quite some time back. Two employees/co-owners now hold the company's FFL.

But fret not; you'll get your wish. With the loss of the Discovery Channel contracts, RJF will implode. Its just a matter of when.

TCinVA
08-28-2014, 07:18 AM
If I'm reading the drama correctly, apparently Mr. Hayden's daughter has now come out accusing him of molesting her as well....which might explain the new arrest and sudden termination of everything.

PPGMD
08-28-2014, 08:08 AM

They probably created the derp.

orionz06
08-28-2014, 08:14 AM
They probably created the derp.

At RJF? That level if derp requires a CDC response and probably took decades to get that bad.

RevolverRob
08-28-2014, 08:33 AM
At RJF? That level if derp requires a CDC response and probably took decades to get that bad.

I think he meant the Discovery Channel producers created the derp. And he is probably right. I know the list of scientists that refuse to be on Discovery now is growing, because of the way they make researchers look like idiots (last year's almost entirely fabricated "Hunt for Megalodon" during Shark Week is a glaring example). Sons of Guns was derp-a-derp because Discovery makes reality TV, not TV about reality.

The best show on that network and the only show I was watching was Fast and Loud. Because that show features fun cars, the level of derp-a-derp was at a surprising low, but I think that's because the main guy (Richard Rawlings) isn't really the type to put up with that, he wants to make money and use Discovery to help him do that, not look too much like an idiot. And finally, because the show is filmed in Dallas (where I am from), so watching it reminds me of home and the fast and fun cars of my youth and adolescence.

-Rob

Glenn E. Meyer
08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
I wonder if the guy wearing Red Jacket T-shirts and logo'ed gear will be sporting it at the next IDPA match?

BTW, I thought the Hunt for Megalodon was clearly identifed as sci-fi, like the Orson Wells WoW show. I did watch a bit of Megalodon vs. Mechdon where the former jumped on a Nimitz class carrier and sunk it. Wasn't that true.

S of G and those idiots in Colorado - American Guns? - what a disgrace to the gun world.

RevolverRob
08-28-2014, 09:46 AM
BTW, I thought the Hunt for Megalodon was clearly identifed as sci-fi, like the Orson Wells WoW show. I did watch a bit of Megalodon vs. Mechdon where the former jumped on a Nimitz class carrier and sunk it. Wasn't that true.

Actually the initial run of that was not identified as fictional. It wasn't until Discovery was exposed that they added the statement upfront about the fictional nature of their "documentary". The initial showing had this disclaimer:

None of the institutions or agencies that appear in the film are affiliated with it in any way, nor have approved its contents.

Though certain events and characters in this film have been dramatized, sightings of “Submarine” continue to this day.

Megalodon was a real shark. Legends of giant sharks persist all over the world. There is still a debate about what they may be.

For more you might read this interesting blog post on the matter: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/science-sushi/2013/08/05/shark-week-jumps-the-shark-an-open-letter-to-discovery-communications/#.U_8_zEiMU7A

S of G and those idiots in Colorado - American Guns? - what a disgrace to the USA.

Fixed.

TAZ
08-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Of course they were. Major media doesn't want to broadcast normal wholesome junk. Doesn't sell ads. Get or create drama and it sells ads. Plus you also get to portray the gun industry as a bunch of idiots. Two for the price of one.

NEPAKevin
08-28-2014, 11:56 AM
The best show on that network and the only show I was watching was Fast and Loud.
-Rob

Oh come on now, there's no better "unscripted" docudrama than Amish Mafia. :D FWIW, I thought the early seasons of Deadliest Catch were pretty awesome. Its still not a bad show but after umpteen years, they seem to be running out of new stories and for my taste are doing too much of the reality show kitten. But, the obligatory Coast Guard rescue episodes never get old. Their search and rescue crews have some huge brass stones. Sons of Guns never caught my interest for more than a commercial break and I suspect was aimed for a different target audience.

PPGMD
08-28-2014, 12:36 PM
I think he meant the Discovery Channel producers created the derp. And he is probably right. I know the list of scientists that refuse to be on Discovery now is growing, because of the way they make researchers look like idiots (last year's almost entirely fabricated "Hunt for Megalodon" during Shark Week is a glaring example). Sons of Guns was derp-a-derp because Discovery makes reality TV, not TV about reality.

That is exactly what I meant.

I know someone that worked with RJF before the Sons of Guns derp fest. And his opinion was that RJF were good dudes.

I also was meet Joe at Bianchi and he seems rather down to earth.

So I am willing to bet that a vast majority of the derp was generated by the production company at the request of the network.

TCinVA
08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
So I am willing to bet that a vast majority of the derp was generated by the production company at the request of the network.

While I put nothing beyond the cesspool of television production, I've noticed that some people turn into complete idiots when they are in front of a camera.

PPGMD
08-28-2014, 02:45 PM
While I put nothing beyond the cesspool of television production, I've noticed that some people turn into complete idiots when they are in front of a camera.

As they say, it takes two to tango. The crew at RJF are willing to work with the derp, and say the lines like "Neva been done before!"

To be fair if you actually video taped a day of work at RJF 99% of it would be the guys working on AKs and silencers. Which is extremely boring to watch unless you are trying to learn how to work on AKs and silencers.

Drang
08-29-2014, 02:45 AM
I think he meant the Discovery Channel producers created the derp.
They canceled Dirty Jobs due to "lack of drama". Then they canned Keri, Grant, Keri, Torry, and Keri from Mythbusters. They're as bad as the SciFi or History Channels.

Drang
08-29-2014, 02:49 AM
FWIW, I thought the early seasons of Deadliest Catch were pretty awesome.
The wife's in the seafood industry here in Seattle. Her co-worker's brother he was supposed to be "featured" in the first season, his first year as captain of a boat. Since it was his first year, the other captains made sure he had a decent territory to operate in. And he made good decisions, so there was little or no drama.
So he didn't wind up on screen much at all.

PPGMD
08-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Then they canned Keri, Grant, Keri, Torry, and Keri from Mythbusters.

Gee I wonder which firing you are the most upset about?

Bigguy
08-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Then they canned Keri, Grant, Keri, Torry, and Keri from Mythbusters. They're as bad as the SciFi or History Channels.
I'm having a hard time figuring that one out. Were ratings slipping? As far as i could tell, they are popular characters. I'll be surprised it they don't all end up with their own shows. I think there must be more to this than simply, "wanting to get back to the original concept." The only thing I'm sure of is that somehow money was involved.

RevolverRob
08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
They canceled Dirty Jobs due to "lack of drama". Then they canned Keri, Grant, Keri, Torry, and Keri from Mythbusters. They're as bad as the SciFi or History Channels.

I thought they canceled Dirty Jobs, because of a lack of content? More than 100 episodes of 2+ dirty jobs an episode. We have some dirty jobs literally and metaphorically, but I think he'd exhausted most of the literal ones.

Mythbusters hasn't actually been entertaining for about 4 seasons now. The push to blow everything up has gotten quite boring. If anything I agree here, it's not the fault of the presenters but the direction by the producers that has led to that show's decline.

MDS
08-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Mythbusters hasn't actually been entertaining for about 4 seasons now. The push to blow everything up has gotten quite boring. If anything I agree here, it's not the fault of the presenters but the direction by the producers that has led to that show's decline.

They should make an episode busting the myth that reality TV mirrors any sort of reality, with the sidekicks working on the myth that Mythbusters is about disproving popular beliefs that are untrue. Media executives only understand two kinds of content: ads and filler.

LOKNLOD
08-29-2014, 10:16 AM

I think the show proved just how bad it can be when congenital derpes is passed down through a family lineage.

Mr_White
08-29-2014, 11:37 AM

I had a sad when the SciFi channel changed its name to SyFy. I am pretty sure it stands for S*** Yeah F*** Yeah, what with all the giant octosharkopirahnatrons and everything.

NickA
08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
... willing to work with the derp.

This should be a motto for a firearms trainer. Or all firearms trainers.

Drang
08-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I had a sad when the SciFi channel changed its name to SyFy. I am pretty sure it stands for S*** Yeah F*** Yeah, what with all the giant octosharkopirahnatrons and everything.
SciFi started going downhill when they canceled the show "SciFi Buzz"...:cool:

This should be a motto for a firearms trainer. Or all firearms trainers.
"Guaranteed Derp-Proof!"
My favorite morale patch (http://milspecmonkey.com/store/patches/272-stupid-allergy.html):
http://milspecmonkey.com/store/332-large_atch/stupid-allergy.jpg

Edwin
09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
edit: skimmed

Joe in PNG
09-03-2014, 06:39 AM
SyFy also dumped MST 3K, just when they started making the perfect movies to feature on that program...
waitaminnit...

Glenn E. Meyer
09-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Wait, some of the movies had excellent points. In Sharknado-2, the hero sees that a sharknado is coming and says we have to get a lot of guns. The NY taxi driver (Judd Hirsch) says that this is NY. This is a strong pro RKBA statement. What round for the Sharknado gun?

Oh, dear - did I really post this. haha!

HCM
09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Wait, some of the movies had excellent points. In Sharknado-2, the hero sees that a sharknado is coming and says we have to get a lot of guns. The NY taxi driver (Judd Hirsch) says that this is NY. This is a strong pro RKBA statement. What round for the Sharknado gun?

Oh, dear - did I really post this. haha!

If SOGs was still on they could build a Sharknado gun - cause it's " Nevah bin done Befoh"

Josh Runkle
09-03-2014, 05:59 PM
If SOGs was still on they could build a Sharknado gun - cause it's " Nevah bin done Befoh"

Hahahaha. I hear this joke all the time, but it never gets old. I can always hear him say it...

...then I can picture it being something pretty common that already exists, but is silly, like the "chainsaw" version of the mossberg.

JV_
09-03-2014, 06:04 PM
There are a lot of reasons why some of the stuff has never been done before, and with the things they choose, it's usually because it's a stupid idea.

Kyle Reese
09-03-2014, 06:07 PM
There are a lot of reasons why some of the stuff has never been done before, and with the things they choose, it's usually because it's a stupid idea.

By "stupid idea" you mean "game changa". :p

Josh Runkle
09-03-2014, 06:19 PM
By "stupid idea" you mean "game changa". :p

Or, something someone else invented 10 years prior as a joke.

LSP972
09-10-2014, 08:13 PM
So… how many of you will be watching/DVR'ing Dr. Phil tomorrow?:D

Stephanie tells all. With Sons of Derp cancelled, I guess they had to do something…

WDW
09-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I hate Sons of Guns.

Wish granted!!!

TCinVA
09-11-2014, 08:31 AM
So… how many of you will be watching/DVR'ing Dr. Phil tomorrow?:D

Stephanie tells all. With Sons of Derp cancelled, I guess they had to do something…

You know, you'd figure they'd want to deal with this without cameras involved.

5pins
09-11-2014, 08:39 AM
You know, you'd figure they'd want to deal with this without cameras involved.

I pays better with cameras involved.

LSP972
09-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

LHS
09-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Given the show's toast, and the business likely to take a gut punch along with it, I can't blame her for trying to get one more payday before she has to stay flipping burgers.

NEPAKevin
09-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Jenna Jameson could "+1" that sentiment.