PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Gun for Hire?

Squall
04-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Howdy folks,

Little context, I'm currently hanging my hat in New Jersey, and looking for some legitimate training with a handgun and basic self/home defense. Bit more than your NRA First Shots, but less than Super-Omega-Delta Operator XII. As I think I've mentioned in one of the sparse handful of posts I've written before, I grew up with long guns, and have only in the last few years taken an interest in handguns. I have an erratic work schedule and four kids, so traveling to one of the more premier training locations isn't really in the cards for the foreseeable future. I've done a bit of research, and Guns for Hire, http://gunforhire.com/, seems to be well spoken of in some of the more local forums. A quick search here didn't turn anything up that I could tell, but I've noticed a few other members hailing from Mordor, and I was wondering if anyone could offer anything from their own experiences. By and large, folks here seem capable of offering far better insight and evaluation, measured against a wider pool of real experience, than your typical gun forum.

Thanks or any help in advance.

RB

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, Regional seemed like the best fit.

Mitchell, Esq.
04-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I took a Massed Ayoob class with him in 2010.

I recall him as a good shooter.

BaiHu
04-10-2014, 10:42 PM
My background of classes: Bunch of NRA certs and NRA Instructor Cert that I never use other than to help my local club. In addition, while waiting to queue up for a Northeastern Todd Green class and SouthNarc class, I attended a bunch of their pistol/carbine courses. I thought their pistol stuff was good, but I wasn't the shooter I am today. I thought their carbine stuff was good for a guy like me that shoots primarily rifle.

In short, it sounds like they're a good fit for you if you're in b/w the NRA classes and Nat'l/Int'l guys.

The two guys I thought were good were Joe and Chuck. I hear Joe is now on a bigger Alphabet Agency and Chuck had an OIS that took him out of the rotation (I'm assuming he'll be back). Feel free to PM me and I'll go into more conversational detail. Hell, we might be close enough to even shoot the breeze and some targets.

LorenzoS
04-11-2014, 12:18 PM
I have a lot of respect for Anthony Colandro at GFH as a 2nd Amendment advocate here in NJ. However, something about the group at GFH never quite sat well with me. Maybe it's just too Jooysey for me, hard to put my finger on it.

I strongly recommend Chris Fry at MDTS. He is based out of NY state but comes down to NJ a few times per year. www.mdtstraining.com

BaiHu
04-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Great recommendation Lorenzo, I'll be checking them out. I didn't realize Aprill was connected to that group.

Squall
04-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Sounds like they should be fine for what I'm looking for. Ill definitely take a look at MDTS too.
BaiHu, I'm in a little podunk South Jersey town called National Park, not far from Woodbury.

SouthNarc
04-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Great recommendation Lorenzo, I'll be checking them out. I didn't realize Aprill was connected to that group.

Chris has been training with me for over ten years now and is my host in NY.

BaiHu
04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that head's up SN!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rsa-otc
04-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Have no personal experience with either, I will say I have heard nothing but good things about Chris Fry and his organization.

hufnagel
04-13-2014, 08:16 AM
sort of feels like the NJ contingent should get together and have a class.

BaiHu
04-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Agreed. I'd be interested in going to Fry if we don't get arrested going to NY with our mags.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rsa-otc
05-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Ayoob interviews the owner of Guns for hire

http://proarmspodcast.com/088-gun-for-hire/