PDA

View Full Version : Sig 229 sights

bigarms24
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I have a 229 in (357) and want to change the sights. I have number 8 front and rear. I have read that the 8's do not shoot point of aim, point of impact and that is certainly true for me. Should I keep the 8 rear and change to a 6 front sight? just curious if what I read and heard is true? thanks

DonovanM
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Does it shoot low for you? Swapping in a taller #6 front sight will make it shoot even lower.

I have a 226 in 357 and my factory #8 front and rear SIGlites shoot POA/POI with all manner of 125gr factory ammo. You just have to keep in mind the tritium dot, not the top of the front sight, is your POA at closer distances, and at 25 yards it should hit on the top of the front sight.

Rverdi
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I have a 229 in (357) and want to change the sights. I have number 8 front and rear. I have read that the 8's do not shoot point of aim, point of impact and that is certainly true for me. Should I keep the 8 rear and change to a 6 front sight? just curious if what I read and heard is true? thanks

My .229 in .357 shoots poa/poi at 25 yards and has an 8 front and rear. If yours doesn't a sight change will do it but what you change to depends on what direction are you looking to go, and how far.

bigarms24
06-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I shoot high and actually aim at the lower half of the kill zone when at 25yds. I also aim slightly lower when at shorter distances.

Rverdi
06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I guess you need to be completely sure of where the issue lies. Does the gun shoot high or do you? If it's a shooting skills issue, I'd leave the sights alone and fix that problem. Changing the sights may get you back in the black in the short term, but once that shooting problem changes to another, now you've got a pistol that no longer shoots where you point it. I'd have a few people you trust bench it and see what kind of results they get.

If it's the pistol then a #6 front sight will lower your point of impact 2" at 25 yards.

DonovanM
06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
If it's the pistol then, yes, a #6 front sight will raise your point of impact 2" at 25 yards.

I know you work for them and all, but the SIG sight installation tool manual says the rule is "Numbers up, impact up" and vice versa. The #6 sight is .230" tall and the #8 is .220", which would cause it to shoot comparatively lower. As we know, heavier bullets shoot higher no matter the caliber, so the taller #6 front sight was designed for 180 or 230gr bullets as opposed to ones around the 124gr mark.

SIG's attempt to dumb down the whole sight thing and "make it easier to understand" has caused no end to confusion even among well informed consumers.