PDA

View Full Version : Smith Wesson .357, did I buy the wrong ammo?

johnnyyukon
04-06-2014, 11:08 PM
So I bought, I believe Federal, .357 ammo, and it goes in the cylinder just fine, just when I tilt the gun back, the bullet where the little lip is, closest to the cylinder release, slides back like a few millimeters.

The chambered round doesn't seem to move and rotating the cylinder is smooth.

Am I missing something? I've only used this gun once, and the first ammo, I guess had a wider rim and didn't do this.

Thoughts?

Chuck Haggard
04-06-2014, 11:10 PM
It would be normal for unfired ammo to slide back and forth in the cylinder like that.

By bullet I assume you mean cartridge? Not trying to be a dick, trying to be precise in communication details.

johnnyyukon
04-06-2014, 11:11 PM
It would be normal for unfired ammo to slide back and forth in the cylinder like that.

By bullet I assume you mean cartridge? Not trying to be a dick, trying to be precise in communication details.

All good. Yeah, cartridge. Doesn't that mean the whole bullet?

Chuck Haggard
04-06-2014, 11:15 PM
All good. Yeah, cartridge. Doesn't that mean the whole bullet?

The cartridge is the whole package, brass/powder/bullet/etc., the bullet is the part that launches down the barrel to hit the target when the cartridge fires.

johnnyyukon
04-06-2014, 11:19 PM
The cartridge is the whole package, brass/powder/bullet/etc., the bullet is the part that launches down the barrel to hit the target when the cartridge fires.

Ok so the projectile, gotya.

And the grain is the size/weight of the bullet?

Chuck Haggard
04-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Weight, yes. As in a 125gr bullet weighs less than a 158gr bullet

Chuck Haggard
04-06-2014, 11:28 PM
A decent resource for nomenclature on ammo;

https://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/ammunition-demystifier

johnnyyukon
04-06-2014, 11:37 PM
A decent resource for nomenclature on ammo;

https://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/ammunition-demystifier

Ok thanks. But back to my original question. The last box hadn't been fired (not sure what that has to do with it) but it did NOT slip like that. Any ideas why? The only thing I can think is that the first box had a wider rim.

Chuck Haggard
04-07-2014, 01:07 AM
There can be variations in the thickness of the rim, and in overall outer diameter of the ammo itself. Both would make a difference in that area.

idahojess
04-07-2014, 01:47 AM
The unfired cartridges in my revolver that are not aligned with the barrel rattle back and forth a bit. So, like others have said, that's normal.
(The round that is fired is not "chambered", the cylinder holding the round is just brought in line with the barrel before the hammer falls. Once the round is fired, the fired cases won't rattle, because the brass has been expanded by the explosive force of the gun powder propelling the bullet down the barrel, and therefore, extraction with the extractor/ejector rod is required).
On a more fundamental level, always check that the caliber of ammunition you are using matches the caliber of firearm. The caliber is always (or should be) on the barrel of a revolver, and the caliber of the cartridge is imprinted on the base/bottom of the cartridge. It sounds basic, but throwing the wrong ammo in a gun, particularly in a dark range, does happen. In this case, a .357 revolver can fire both the 357 magnum cartridge and the 38 special cartridge (which is a much easier round to shoot). I don't think anything else can fit in there, but double check the headstamp.
Good luck and be safe.

johnnyyukon
04-07-2014, 02:00 AM
The unfired cartridges in my revolver that are not aligned with the barrel rattle back and forth a bit. So, like others have said, that's normal.
(The round that is fired is not "chambered", the cylinder holding the round is just brought in line with the barrel before the hammer falls. Once the round is fired, the fired cases won't rattle, because the brass has been expanded by the explosive force of the gun powder propelling the bullet down the barrel, and therefore, extraction with the extractor/ejector rod is required).
On a more fundamental level, always check that the caliber of ammunition you are using matches the caliber of firearm. The caliber is always (or should be) on the barrel of a revolver, and the caliber of the cartridge is imprinted on the base/bottom of the cartridge. It sounds basic, but throwing the wrong ammo in a gun, particularly in a dark range, does happen. In this case, a .357 revolver can fire both the 357 magnum cartridge and the 38 special cartridge (which is a much easier round to shoot). I don't think anything else can fit in there, but double check the headstamp.
Good luck and be safe.

Yeah thanks for the further explanation. And it says .357 on both the gun and cartridge. Just wasn't sure that that little slip was normal. I am now.

SGT_Calle
04-07-2014, 07:45 AM
There can be variations in the thickness of the rim, and in overall outer diameter of the ammo itself. Both would make a difference in that area.

You run into this if you have a revolver that uses moon clips especially, a need to use certain thickness clips (differing by millimeters) with different ammunition manufacturers.
I had the same question when I bought my first revolver.

Wayne Dobbs
04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
So I bought, I believe Federal, .357 ammo, and it goes in the cylinder just fine, just when I tilt the gun back, the bullet where the little lip is, closest to the cylinder release, slides back like a few millimeters.

The chambered round doesn't seem to move and rotating the cylinder is smooth.

Am I missing something? I've only used this gun once, and the first ammo, I guess had a wider rim and didn't do this.

Thoughts?

Mourning the loss of another yellow Lab puppy. Whenever you call a cartridge a "bullet" or a magazine a "clip", God kills a puppy. A cute little yellow Lab puppy with dark brown eyes. A big transit bus smashes them in the street. Tragic....

shooter220
04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
There are a few variables that can cause the cartridge to have some wiggle room, primarily though it comes down to:

1. Headspace (distance between the frame and the rear face of the cyliner) - the looser this is, the more room there is. There always has to be SOME space, or you couldn't close the cylinder). This is also influenced by the thickness of the rim of the cartridges you have in the gun. I know there are standards, but not all brass is created equally.
2. Cylinder tolerances (and even cleanliness). Some makers have loser cylinders than others. For example, if you shake one of my rugers, you can hear the cartridges "rattle" a decent amount. However, I briefly owned a Dan Wesson that had far less rattle due to tighter tolerances (or less wear...). Any gun, when dirty enough, has far less room in the cylinder for things to move too, and this causes binding.

-shooter

johnnyyukon
04-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Mourning the loss of another yellow Lab puppy. Whenever you call a cartridge a "bullet" or a magazine a "clip", God kills a puppy. A cute little yellow Lab puppy with dark brown eyes. A big transit bus smashes them in the street. Tragic....

Haha, I'll pour out some micro brew for the fallen. Yeah, I know, I'm still a noob, learning the proper terminology. But hey, I learned something today!

Malamute
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah thanks for the further explanation. And it says .357 on both the gun and cartridge. Just wasn't sure that that little slip was normal. I am now.

To add to the possible confusion, there are "357" cartridges that are not compatible with every gun marked 357. The 357 magnum is the rimmed cartridge for revolvers. Some auto loaders are 357 Sig cal, which isn't at all compatible with the "regular" 357 cartridge.

Robinson
04-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Hollywood must be hell on the yellow lab population then...

johnnyyukon
04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
You run into this if you have a revolver that uses moon clips especially, a need to use certain thickness clips (differing by millimeters) with different ammunition manufacturers.
I had the same question when I bought my first revolver.

So it would seem that the current ammo I am using isn't really going to be an issue, but there is ammo that will "stick," so to speak, with perhaps a wider rim? Or I suppose you can change out the moon clip? I will probably just stick to what I have, but was curious.

SGT_Calle
04-07-2014, 02:58 PM
I believe in moon clip revolvers the moon clip can possibly not fit the cartridge and/or be too thick for the cylinder to close. I'm with you, I'll stick to good ol' speed loaders for a while.

SeriousStudent
04-07-2014, 08:10 PM

I have seen this very thing happen. It still makes me tear up. :(

johnnyyukon
04-11-2014, 12:13 PM

How am I ever going to be a successful rapper if I have to use "magazine" instead of "clip." A lot more words rhyme with "clip," dip, hip, whip, rip, sip, equip, microchip.

Don Gwinn
04-16-2014, 06:40 AM
How am I ever going to be a successful rapper if I have to use "magazine" instead of "clip." A lot more words rhyme with "clip," dip, hip, whip, rip, sip, equip, microchip.

Magazine
Aquamarine
Ben Vereen
Canteen
Bromine
Ovaltine
Saltine
Pantene
Scene
Preen
Green

You're welcome.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

johnnyyukon
04-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Magazine
Aquamarine
Ben Vereen
Canteen
Bromine
Ovaltine
Saltine
Pantene
Scene
Preen
Green

You're welcome.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

I stand corrected.
Hey yo, peep this homies,
"Best not be touchin' mah ovaltine, ho,
Or I be bustin out my hollow point magazine, fo sho,
Split ya spleen like a saltine whilst I wash mah dreads with pantene from mah canteen.
Peace."

LHS
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
I stand corrected.
Hey yo, peep this homies,
"Best not be touchin' mah ovaltine, ho,
Or I be bustin out my hollow point magazine, fo sho,
Split ya spleen like a saltine whilst I wash mah dreads with pantene from mah canteen.
Peace."

Where's that clapping gif when I need it?

Malamute
04-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Where's that clapping gif when I need it?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/applause2.gif

Tamara
04-18-2014, 06:51 AM
This thread has unexpectedly delivered the much-needed LOLs this morning.

LOKNLOD
04-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Well played, johnnyyukon.

Someday we will have to have a P-F rap battle. :cool:

LHS
04-19-2014, 10:28 AM
http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/clapping.gif

Found it!

johnnyyukon
04-25-2014, 12:50 AM
http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/clapping.gif

Found it!

Thank you thank you. As you can see by my photo I am a true gangster (yes, that's really me) My street name is Easy Mac-10

http://i.imgur.com/sFwlewQ.jpg