PDA

View Full Version : Foam earplugs

peterb
06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I used to work at a lab that studied hearing protection, and got a lot of experience using foam earplugs. Out in the real world I rarely see them being used properly. Many people stuff them in their ears and then complain that the plugs fall out or don't work very well. You need to roll down the plug and open your ear canal to properly insert the plug so it can work.

Here's a video on the proper use of foam earplugs from one of the major manufacturers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA

I use muffs over plugs whenever possible, but plugs alone are much beter than nothing.

If you buy them in bulk from an industrial supplier the cost per use is reduced. I keep a 200-pair box on the garage wall.

Plugs do vary in size, shape, and softness. I know of one vendor that offers assortment packs that make it easy to find one that works for you.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foearpltrpa2.html

ranburr
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I read a study once that was provided to us by the TX DPS. It essentially stated that ear plugs were better than nothing, but not by much. It went on to say that you really needed ear muffs that completely covered the ear and the bones around it. Short of this, you were destroying you hearing with each shot. I use electronic Peltors and am very happy with the results. Does this info jive with your results?

turbolag23
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
thanks for the information. lately i have been using surefire ep3 along with ear muffs while shooting. i must admit im sure there are other non shooting times i should probably be wearing hearing protection but dont.

virginiatactical
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
You can get some quality custom made ear plugs here in VA at most of the large USPSA matches. Area 8 always has this guy that makes em, and his line is wrapped around his awning. I use muffs, but my ex loved this guy's earplugs. If you are interested in some custom made ones try to see if there is a major USPSA match in your area. Contact the Match Director and see if anyone is making custom ear plugs at his match. Its a little fuzzy, but I went to the Pro Am championship in Tulsa, OK and I believe they had someone making them there as well. Its hard to remember .. since I don't shop for them. Its worth a try if you want some really good quality ear plugs.

peterb
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Bone conduction does play an increasing factor as energy levels go up. We were working on hearing protection for aircraft carrier flight deck crews, and found that above a certain sound pressure level it didn't matter what was in your ear canals -- the energy would still get through to the inner ear. We experimented with full hardshell helmets, faceshields of various sizes -- anything to reduce the energy getting to the skull.

So muffs do add some protection to the bone conduction path around the ear, but are also prone to leakage in the airborne path where the muff seal is broken by glasses frames. That's why wearing both is the best choice if practical. A lot of shooters like electronic muffs over plugs -- if you crank up the volume you can hear well and still get full attenuation when the filter cuts in.

The NRR ratings for plugs and muffs assume ideal conditions. Real-world studies have shown that most people get far less than the rated protection because the gear is improperly sized and/or worn.

Hearing damage is cumulative. Every bit of protection helps. Properly worn plugs are a big improvement over nothing.

MD7305
06-21-2011, 04:30 PM
...but are also prone to leakage in the airborne path where the muff seal is broken by glasses frames. That's why wearing both is the best choice if practical. A lot of shooters like electronic muffs over plugs -- if you crank up the volume you can hear well and still get full attenuation when the filter cuts in.

This has been my experience and I've lately started to use cheap foam plugs and electronic muffs. My shooting glasses always seem to allow sound into the muff to the extent I was walking away from the range with headaches. Since I've been using plugs and muffs the headaches have gone away.

Peterb, or an anyone else, what plugs would you recommend? I know the Surefire plugs are well thought of. My cheap plugs are AOSafety Disposable plugs, NRR 29dB. Should I look into something better?

TGS
06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
This has been my experience and I've lately started to use cheap foam plugs and electronic muffs. My shooting glasses always seem to allow sound into the muff to the extent I was walking away from the range with headaches. Since I've been using plugs and muffs the headaches have gone away.

Peterb, or an anyone else, what plugs would you recommend? I know the Surefire plugs are well thought of. My cheap plugs are AOSafety Disposable plugs, NRR 29dB. Should I look into something better?

I thought "Skull Screws" were superb for disposable earplugs. They're in a markedly higher category of sound dampening, comfort or security than any of the foam plugs I've used or those orange plastic USGI plugs. Personally I don't like ear plugs because it always causes significant earwax buildup in just an hour or so. Also, one of my ear canals seems to be much smaller than the other, leading to comfort issues(and even more ear wax) not to mention no matter what I do, foam plugs will fall out. I've got enough time running around on live fire ranges to know that foam plugs will fall out.

I'd love to get a pair of gel cups for my Howard Leight muffs. Do you guys know of any that will fit?

peterb
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
There's no "best" plug for everyone. Ear canals very widely in size & shape -- my own right and left are not mirror images. Sweat, earwax, and activity will affect retention. Softer plugs can be more comfortable but harder to insert. Tapered plugs can be easier to insert but more likely to back out.

I have no affiliation with the Earplug Superstore, but it's the only place I've seen that offers assortments so you can try a variety of plugs at reasonable cost.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html

dickmadison
06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Great post PeterB. I always try to double up protection. I've tried numerous plug types and this is what I've found. All ears are different. Your mileage may vary. I buy them at amazon.com - great prices and free shipping

The worst I've found were these - Horribly uncomfortable and I didn't think the side to allow sound in really worked that well.
http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97079-Combat-Arms-Earplugs/dp/B000W2CPCC/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1308702715&sr=8-31

Surefire EP3 - They seemed ok but didn't always stay in my ears. Sometimes they backed out. I've never had a foam earplug fall out or back out but these seemed to and the little whole that allows sound in for conversations seemed like hocus pocus (like the above peltors)

Howard Leight Max1 - these by far are the best for me. I did a lot of research and a lot of people had similar great experiences as me. I've always inserted them, like the gentleman in the youtube video and it is the best way to do it (at least for me). They've never fallen out. They are the highest NRR I could find in a plug (NRR 33). They are also super comfortable. I can wear them all day. However, for classes, I carry a small container to put them in when the instructor is talking because my howard leight impact sport muffs sometimes get uncomfortable (I would love gel cups for these too!) and without the amplification I can't hear the instructor talk - which to me means the plugs are doing their job. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308702696&sr=8-2

For those that have had the ear stems of their shooting glasses break the seal of the muffs, I wear ESS CDI MAX sunglasses with Howard Leight muffs and never had a problem with that. Like I said, sometimes, the cushion on the Howard Leight muffs isn't so cushiony for me but whatever.

ESS also makes a model called the ESS Crossbow Supressor which have the thinnest ear stems I've seen and are made for people that wear comms or muffs. I haven't tried them because what I have works for me, but you may want to give them a shot.
http://www.esseyepro.com/crossbow

Hope this helps you all.

TGS
06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
For those that have had the ear stems of their shooting glasses break the seal of the muffs, I wear ESS CDI MAX sunglasses with Howard Leight muffs and never had a problem with that. Like I said, sometimes, the cushion on the Howard Leight muffs isn't so cushiony for me but whatever.

ESS also makes a model called the ESS Crossbow Supressor which have the thinnest ear stems I've seen and are made for people that wear comms or muffs. I haven't tried them because what I have works for me, but you may want to give them a shot.
http://www.esseyepro.com/crossbow

Hope this helps you all.

I've worn my ESS CDI's with my Howard Leight muffs a lot, but just got a pair of Oakley 2.0 M-frames(thanks US Standard Issue, $90 for the kit, zinger). I found a pair after a helo insert one time, and wore those for the next 4 days in the field. Awesome glasses. I've also been issued ESS ICE glasses, and they fog like crazy and fall off your dome pretty easily unless they're retained by muffs or a brain strap. They've got extremely thin temples, as well.

I hear you on the cushiony part of the Howard Leight muffs. If I can't find gel cups for them, I might have to just pay more for a pair of peltors with gel cups. Definitely not interested in using a college loan payment for ear muffs, so no Sordins for this guy......

ToddG
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I'll second the comment on inserting them properly. I've been using plugs + muffs on a very loud (rifle rated) indoor range for about fifteen years and my hearing is still good. Last time it was checked (about four years ago) my hearing was actually well above average for someone my age regardless of profession/hobbies.

When I'm outdoors, I usually just use electronic muffs (MSAs with gel cups) simply because they're on and off a lot in the heat and when they come off I want to be able to hear properly. If I was doing rifle works -- or as I call it, "that day of the year" -- then I'd still double up.

peterb, an audiologist and serious shooter once suggested that folks always wear baseball hats while shooting because it helped attenuate bone conduction through the forehead. Any truth to that? I always feel like shots are quieter when I'm wearing a hat, but couldn't say whether it's because of the protection at the forehead or just getting a different seal on the muffs.

peterb
06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Todd --- It's hard to imagine how a fabric ball cap could significantly reduce conducted sound, but maybe the sloping bill deflects some of the energy upwards away from your forehead. Interesting. If I still had access to the lab it'd make a good experiment.

On another note, good hearing protection is especially important for new shooters. Noise is a big part of perceived recoil. You can develop a flinch even with mild loads if the noise is uncomfortable.

SLG
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Todd --- It's hard to imagine how a fabric ball cap could significantly reduce conducted sound, but maybe the sloping bill deflects some of the energy upwards away from your forehead. Interesting. If I still had access to the lab it'd make a good experiment.

On another note, good hearing protection is especially important for new shooters. Noise is a big part of perceived recoil. You can develop a flinch even with mild loads if the noise is uncomfortable.

My experience has been the same as Todd's with regard to hats...I realize that a thin piece of cloth is not much protection, but it is definitely better than nothing for bone conduction. A helmet works even better, but I really think that anything that covers more of your head is a good idea, for whatever little it does. Like Todd, my hearing is almost off the charts when I get it tested every few years. I just have to remember to clean out the earwax from my plugs before I take the test...big difference.