PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Falls, PA - Protective Shooting Concepts 2014 Schedule

Jay Cunningham
04-01-2014, 04:42 AM
*All training activities take place at The Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club (http://www.bvrpc.org/) unless otherwise noted.*

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 1

$75.00

April 4th, 2015; 8:00 am to 12:00 pm

back-to-back with

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 2

$75.00

April 4th, 2015; 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 3

$75.00

April 11th, 2015; 8:00 am to 12:00 pm

back-to-back with

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 4

$75.00

April 11th, 2015; 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Advanced Carbine Clinic

$75

May 30th, 2015; 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Protective Pistol 1 (Firefighter/EMS Appreciation)

$300*

June 27th & 28th, 2015; 9:00 am to 5:30 pm

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 5

$75.00

July 5th, 2015; 9:00 am to 1:00 pm

back-to-back with

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 6

$75.00

July 5th, 2015; 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Closed Class

$425

July 31st, 2015; 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm

August 1st & 2nd, 2015; 9:00 am to 5:30 pm

Protective Carbine 1 (Firefighter/EMS Appreciation)

$300*

August 15th & 16th, 2015; 9:00 am to 5:30 pm

Protective Shooting Concepts Event Enrollment (http://www.protectiveshootingconcepts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=61)

Jay Cunningham
04-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Protective Shooting Concepts Clinics provide high intensity training for experienced shooters, as well as development opportunities for newer shooters.

Clinics are currently held every month and are a half day; the schedule is updated monthly and shows the next two Clinics at any given time.

As always, if you have any questions about enrollment, just ask.

Jay Cunningham
04-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Here are some links to some AARs of past training that I've conducted (most of it under the moniker Low Speed High Drag):

AAR: LSHD Vickers Shooting Method Kalashnikov Basic ~ Beaver Falls, PA ~ December 18 (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?234-AAR-LSHD-Vickers-Shooting-Method-Kalashnikov-Basic-Beaver-Falls-PA-December-18)

AAR Low Speed – High Drag VSM 1 Day Carbine June 4th, 2011 (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1098-AAR-Low-Speed-%96-High-Drag-VSM-1-Day-Carbine-June-4th-2011)

Review of VSM Pistol class by Low Speed High Drag, LLC (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1692-Review-of-VSM-Pistol-class-by-Low-Speed-High-Drag-LLC)

AAR: LSHD Murphy Strikes! Workshop (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4158-AAR-LSHD-Murphy-Strikes!-Workshop)

LSHD Women's Carbine (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4930-LSHD-Women-s-Carbine)

AAR: Low Speed High Drag Personal Training (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6414-AAR-Low-Speed-High-Drag-Personal-Training)

Irelander
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Cool...I've been looking for some training close to home. I'm about 1.5 hr north of Beaver Falls. Hopefully I'll be able to schedule a course or clinic this year.

Jay Cunningham
04-29-2014, 05:28 AM
Cool...I've been looking for some training close to home. I'm about 1.5 hr north of Beaver Falls. Hopefully I'll be able to schedule a course or clinic this year.

Hope to see you! Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Jay Cunningham
05-15-2014, 04:41 AM
From our recent Advanced Carbine Clinic:

Odin Bravo One
06-18-2014, 01:00 AM
I can't speak for any of the other courses, but I was impressed by what I saw at Jay's All Women's Carbine Course..............quality information, knowledgeable & professional staff, noticeable improvement by all of the shooters, and very safely run range.

If only PA was a little closer, we would make the drive again at least once this year.

Jay Cunningham
06-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it Sean. We'd certainly enjoy having you back up - the facility continues to improve and we have access to lots of cool stuff.

Jay Cunningham
08-07-2014, 08:58 AM
We added back-to-back half day AR-15 Technical Inspection & Carbine Clinics!

AR-15 Technical Inspection Clinic

Duration:

half day

Required:

AR-15 platform weapon
ballistic eye protection & hearing protection
90 rounds of ammunition
one magazine

The AR-15 Technical Inspection Clinic is a maintenance seminar and weapon inspection. Assembly and manufacturing deficiencies are identified and corrected on the spot, and both iron sights and optics are hard zeroed at 100 yards. The Clinic concludes with prone shooting at various ranges, out to 200m.

Carbine Clinic

Duration:

half day

Required:

semi-automatic carbine
150 rounds of ammunition
several spare magazines

StayintheFight
08-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Signed her up today!

Jay Cunningham
08-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Got it, thanks much!

Jay Cunningham
09-17-2014, 07:22 PM
If you own an AR-15 rifle or carbine but have never had any form of formal training, I encourage you to attend one or both of the back-to-back Clinics we're hosting at The Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club (Beaver Falls, PA) this weekend!

Some things we'll be covering in this half-day, $75 Clinic:

- field strip
- inspection
- cleaning & lubrication
- reassembly
- function check
- chamber dimension check & chamber reaming (if necessary)
- check and repair of proper staking on components
- checking proper torque values
- checking component compatibility (rifle components in carbines & vice versa)
- rough zero irons and optics
- hard zero irons and optics at 100 yards
- prone shooting on steel out to 200 yards

This will be followed by another half-day Carbine Clinic for additional trigger time and closer range work/manipulations.

Hope to see you!

Jay Cunningham
09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Protective Carbine 2 shifts our focus from fundamental shooting skills development to home defense applications. This course builds confident armed citizens by mentally taking shooters off the range and instilling a shift in mindset: that you are at all times preparing yourself to prevail against a lethal threat. Weapon effects on human anatomy form the basis for Protective Carbine 2 targeting options and marksmanship standards. Mini-scenarios are introduced on a random basis to keep shooters in a problem-solving mode.

Techniques covered include advanced malfunction clearance, alternate ready positions, use of cover, aggressive movement, shooting while moving, weak side shooting and manipulations, use of cover, and transitions to sidearms (and the applicability of this technique). Low light shooting, low light weapon manipulations, and illumination techniques occur the evening of day one.

Throughout the course, situational awareness is constantly emphasized for weapons, gear, and environment. A lawyer (also a trained shooter) will discuss certain legalities of long guns and NFA weapons and home defense for Pennsylvania. This course deals with situations which constitute likely scenarios that a citizen may face - the middle of the statistical "bell-curve".

This Course is for experienced shooters and is also physically demanding - students need to be honest with themselves about their ability to perform.

Prepare. Protect. Prevail!

Cost:
◾$300.00

Duration:
◾two days (Oct. 25th, 2014; 2:00 pm to 10:30 pm & Oct. 26th , 2014; 9:00 am to 5:30 pm)

◾The Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club, Beaver Falls, PA (http://bvrpc.org/index.html)

Required:
◾ballistic eye protection & filtered hearing protection
◾semi-auto carbine with confirmed zero
◾functional iron sights
◾sling which allows your weapon to hang in a vertical orientation (muzzle pointing down)
◾magazine carrier worn on the belt
◾five magazines (minimum)
◾weapon lubricant
◾1000 rounds rifle ammo - 60 rounds must be frangible
◾weapon mounted light
◾pistol/holster/50 rounds ammo for transition work
◾hand held flashlight
◾suitable range wear depending on the season

Jay Cunningham
10-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Our Protective Carbine 2 course is approaching at the end of the month. Even if you have previous "tactical" carbine training, you've probably never been through a course that is entirely geared towards civilian applications.

I also suspect you've never been through a course that holds you to the standards that we do. While everything is a balance of speed and accuracy - we expect hits, every time. You are truly accountable for every round you fire!

Our emphasis is on marksmanship and decision-making, not on gear. We run military, law enforcement, and competition techniques through our filter to give you everything that you need and nothing you don't.

Protective Carbine 2
October 25 - October 26
The Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club
Beaver Falls, PA

Jay Cunningham
10-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Kalashnikov Clinic on the menu!

Jay Cunningham
10-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Seven slots remaining for the Oct. 19th Advanced Kalashnikov Clinic. Don't miss out!

Jay Cunningham
10-14-2014, 06:47 AM
If you own a Kalashnikov (a lot of you do) and you've never done anything with it other than blast at dirt clumps on the berm, this coming Sunday is a half day of dedicated instruction on the platform. $75 and 300 rounds will get you there. You don't need any fancy gear as long as you have a sling and a few extra magazines.

Jay Cunningham
10-14-2014, 02:08 PM

Our last Advanced Kalashnikov Clinic!

Jay Cunningham
10-17-2014, 04:02 PM
There's still room in our Kalashnikov Clinic this Sunday.

My goals for class:

- admin load/unload

- press checks

- offset/holdover

- safety manipulation/presentation

- shoulder transitions & weak side shooting

- emergency reloads

- malfunction clearance

All of the above will be covered, in addition to discussion on AK vs. AR, AK variants, magazines, and quality aftermarket accessories.

Jay Cunningham
10-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Protective Carbine 2 is this coming weekend. This is THE course to take if you want to learn and practice civilian defensive applications of the carbine weapon system.

If you want in, there's still room. If you had planned on being there, ping me to let me know you're coming and when you're rolling into town.

Jay Cunningham
11-02-2014, 05:20 PM
We've got back-to-back Women's only pistol clinics in November! Don't be skeered!

Jay Cunningham
11-13-2014, 11:21 AM
There's lots of interest in the upcoming back-to-back Women's Only Pistol Clinics... in fact there's more stated interest than there are actual slots available. Please officially enroll to ensure your slot in the Clinic.

Jay Cunningham
11-17-2014, 06:02 AM
We've gt an email newsletter for the non-FB types:

Protective Shooting Concepts Email Newsletter (http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=f3240183bc)

I promise I won't spam you or sell your info.

Jay Cunningham
11-20-2014, 09:14 AM
We're doing back-to-back (independent) Women's Only pistol clinics this coming Saturday (Nov. 22nd) at The Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club in Beaver Falls, PA. The cost is only $75 for each half-day clinic.

The first (Level1) clinic has two open slots remaining. The second (Level2) clinic has three open slots remaining. The weather is looking decent with the current forecast in the 40's and no rain.

Jay Cunningham
11-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Our schedule has been updated through April!

Jay Cunningham
12-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Battle Rifle

January 31st, 2015
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
BVRPC (http://www.bvrpc.org/index.html)
Beaver Falls, PA

The battle rifle... historically, it was the main armament of the infantry, utilizing a full sized cartridge: .30-06, .303 British, 7.62x54R, and eventually a 7.62x51mm weapon for NATO forces.

PSC Battle Rifle mixes elements of Protective Carbine 1&2 with more traditional military rifle courses of fire. Students will learn to manage the recoil of these powerful weapons during rapid engagements of close targets, but will also employ them out to 400 yards using time-tested, proven techniques. Students will also use their battle rifles to defeat steel, concrete, wood, and vehicular cover.

Topics include: safety and risk mitigation, body alignment, mounting the gun, recoil control, ammunition management, malfunction clearance, aiming, trigger control, position riflery, target transitions, and various skill drills.

Battle Rifle is NOT a novice level class. Students are expected to have a basic understanding of how to run a long gun and are expected to arrive with zeroed weapons. This class is physically demanding - students need to be honest with themselves about their ability to perform.

Duration:

one day

Cost:

$150

Required:

ballistic eye protection & filtered hearing protection
semi-automatic rifle (200 yard zero preferred)
functional iron sights
sling
4 magazines (or 10 en bloc clips) minimum
400 rounds of ammunition
weapon lubricant
appropriate clothing

Optional:

optical sight or scope
dedicated magazine pouch
bandoleer and/or dump pouch
chest rig or war belt
shooting mat to lay on

Jay Cunningham
12-20-2014, 07:55 PM
We're going to own two separate ranges for Battle Rifle, and we're going to have a couple of junk cars to annihilate. Steel targets out to 300 yards and windshields and engine blocks to defeat... you'll need to help us clean up, though!

Jay Cunningham
12-29-2014, 07:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SFedFf9l.jpg

Workups with the M1A!

Len McM
01-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Jay,

What are your private session availabilities looking like for Febraury and March? I'd also be interested in being a second person if another solo person expressed interest.

Thanks,

Len

Jay Cunningham
01-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Jay,

What are your private session availabilities looking like for Febraury and March? I'd also be interested in being a second person if another solo person expressed interest.

Thanks,

Len

Len,

I'm assisting another instructor with a Home Defense/CQB Course on February 7th & 8th, and I'll be in Memphis for the Tactical Conference February 20-22. March 7th I'm teaching; otherwise I'm available.

Jay Cunningham
01-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Our Battle Rifle Workshop is intended for semi-automatic rifles firing a full size cartridge: M1 Garand, M1A, FAL, CETME/PTR, SCAR-17, .308 AR platform, etc.

We will be running the guns hot and heavy at closer ranges, but we'll also be shooting out to 300 yards. A traditional web or 1907 sling is perfectly acceptable - in fact, we'll learn how to properly sling up with them... a dying art.

Jay Cunningham
01-10-2015, 08:40 PM
We have 12 people on the list for the upcoming Battle Rifle Workshop, but at this writing six have paid to officially claim their spot. Once again, I encourage you to enroll now because this class is going to be full.

Jay Cunningham
01-18-2015, 01:42 PM
We have 11 confirmed shooters in our Jan. 31st Battle Rifle Workshop. I'm going to cap enrollment on this one at 12, so we still have room for one more if you want in - but you need to act now to grab that last spot!

Jay Cunningham
03-17-2015, 10:41 AM
The six level Protective Shooting Concepts Women's Pistol Clinic curriculum is a streamlined version of our Protective Pistol 1 and 2 programs. It's designed to get female shooters on the most direct path from "unconsciously incompetent" to "consciously competent". Is it necessary to complete all six levels to become an adequate shooter? Necessary? Adequate? As you can imagine, we're slightly biased. Levels 1 & 2 focus on safe gun handling, risk, and risk mitigation. Levels 3 & 4 develop accuracy and consistency. Levels 5 & 6 build the confidence to effectively carry your firearm everyday in the real world. Training through all six levels establishes a solid mastery of the fundamental skills necessary to use your firearm to prevail against a potentially lethal threat. PSC instructors are attuned to the nuances of coaching female shooters, and we achieve impressive results.

Required:

semi-automatic pistol of at least .380 ACP caliber
holster worn on the strong side that allows holstering with only the firing hand
100 rounds of ammunition per clinic
several spare magazines

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 1

$75.00

April 4th, 2015; 8:00 am to 12:00 pm

back-to-back with

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 2

$75.00

April 4th, 2015; 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 3

$75.00

April 11th, 2015; 8:00 am to 12:00 pm

back-to-back with

Women's Pistol Clinic Level 4

$75.00

April 11th, 2015; 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Enroll (http://www.protectiveshootingconcepts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=61#Enroll)