PDA

View Full Version : FNS9 issue

Bill Wilson
03-31-2014, 08:11 PM
A shooting buddy of mine with above average hand size has been having trouble with ejecting his mag while shooting his FNS9, anyone else seen this problem?

Mag release tension seems good (much more than a M&P) and seems to have good mag catch to magazine contact.

jetfire
03-31-2014, 08:55 PM
A shooting buddy of mine with above average hand size has been having trouble with ejecting his mag while shooting his FNS9, anyone else seen this problem?

Mag release tension seems good (much more than a M&P) and seems to have good mag catch to magazine contact.

I do too. The 2nd knuckle of my strong hand can sometimes prevent the mag release from depressing far enough to release the mag. The no-work fix is to flip the gun slightly in my grip during the reload. The "work" fix is to dremel down the side of the mag release that contacts my strong hand.

Trukinjp13
03-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Ive never had a problem with mine, but I could definitely see different hand sizes causing issues.

klewis
03-31-2014, 10:31 PM
JJ of Ballistic Radio (who's on this forum) is testing an FNS9L and had this exact problem. FN sent him a prototype low profile mag realease that seems to have solved it. Hopefully, he can chime in here soon.

Here's a direct link to the pic of it: https://www.facebook.com/BallisticRadio/photos/a.354410478023122.1073741831.277229719074532/447736035357232/?type=1&theater

And his latest write up that includes the issue: http://ballisticradio.com/2014/03/25/fnh-fns-9-longslide-update-1/

Hope that helps in some way...

Trooper224
04-01-2014, 12:30 AM
I have large hands and I do notice it takes considerably more effort to drop the magazine while maintaining a strong grip on the pistol. The middle finger on my shooting hand makes contact with the magazine release and I find myself applying pressure in both directions. I've learned to shift the position of my finger slightly during a reload.

Robert Mitchum
04-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Have large hands between that problem and the trigger feeling like a Sigma I sold mine...
I liked the pistol at first but after some time I lost interest in it ...

Trukinjp13
04-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Have large hands between that problem and the trigger feeling like a Sigma I sold mine...
I liked the pistol at first but after some time I lost interest in it ...

Sigma really? I prefer mine over my glock and well above my m&p. Which had the updated trigger. The more rounds in it the smoother it gets.

Trooper224
04-01-2014, 11:43 AM
The more rounds in it the smoother it gets.

Agreed. Mine came out of the box with a 7.5 pound trigger. After 2500 rounds it seems to have settled in at an even 6 pounds.

warpedcamshaft
04-01-2014, 12:34 PM

I have large hands and have ejected the magazine accidentally several times on an fns40. It is especially an issue for me when firing one handed... As I tend to squeeze very tightly on the handgun.

Same thing for my buddy, who owns the fn in question.

He has also dropped the magazine out of the gun while carrying in a diesel shop after laying on the shop floor. He very nearly got fired...

LangdonTactical
04-01-2014, 12:46 PM

I have heard of the issue as well. Seems to be that the middle finger can put pressure on the mag catch on the other side of the gun, making it hard to press, and or dropping the magazine when it should not. I guess that is one of the issues of a fully ambi magazine release?

I was also told that FN was making a low profile button. There have also been rumors of issue with some people when carrying the gun. Button getting pushed and mag falling out when still holstered. I have not talked to anyone that this has happened to, but talked to someone at FN that had heard of the issue. So they are addressing it with the smaller mag catch for those that need it.

Not sure it is a full production part yet?

TheTrevor
04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
I have heard of the issue as well. Seems to be that the middle finger can put pressure on the mag catch on the other side of the gun, making it hard to press, and or dropping the magazine when it should not. I guess that is one of the issues of a fully ambi magazine release?

I was also told that FN was making a low profile button. There have also been rumors of issue with some people when carrying the gun. Button getting pushed and mag falling out when still holstered. I have not talked to anyone that this has happened to, but talked to someone at FN that had heard of the issue. So they are addressing it with the smaller mag catch for those that need it.

FN USA certainly seemed to have low-profile mag release controls on hand and immediately ready to go when JJ of Ballistic Radio contacted them. If I recall correctly he had his the next day via FedEx overnight.

Robert Mitchum
04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
For all the Sigma fans.
http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/sigma-and-sd/

I guess my friend was not as smart as some on here who spent money buying 2500 rounds to smooth out the Sigma trigger....
I based my findings on a stock Sigma trigger when he first got his pistol not after he upgraded it with the Galloway parts but thanks you guys for your vast knowledge on Sigmas...

KeeFus
04-01-2014, 01:03 PM
FN USA certainly seemed to have low-profile mag release controls on hand and immediately ready to go when JJ of Ballistic Radio contacted them. If I recall correctly he had his the next day via FedEx overnight.

This^^^^. I've been keeping up with this project he's doing on the FNS 9 long slide thru the Ballistic radio webpage. FN sent him a different mag release.

http://ballisticradio.com/2014/03/25/fnh-fns-9-longslide-update-1/

Trooper224
04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
For all the Sigma fans.
http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/sigma-and-sd/

I guess my friend was not as smart as some on here who spent money buying 2500 rounds to smooth out the Sigma trigger....

No need to be an ass hat. I was referring to the current round count of my FNS9. You couldn't give me a Sigma.

Robert Mitchum
04-02-2014, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

No need to be an ass hat. I was referring to the current round count of my FNS9. You couldn't give me a Sigma.

Tamara
04-02-2014, 06:03 PM

p-f.com was fun while it lasted.

Oh, well.

(The laughing movie character in your linked YouTube clip? He was right there where he could get socked in the mouth for being rude, not a thousand miles away hiding behind the name of a Hollywood actor twenty years in the grave.)

LittleLebowski
04-02-2014, 06:11 PM

RobertMitchum, we are now back on the topic of the FNS9 issue. Thank you.

Rich
04-02-2014, 06:17 PM

Are you a fan of the ambi mag release ?

I myself don't care for it on any pistol

Rich
04-02-2014, 06:21 PM

Oh, well.

(The laughing movie character in your linked YouTube clip? He was right there where he could get socked in the mouth for being rude, not a thousand miles away hiding behind the name of a Hollywood actor twenty years in the grave.)

couldn't one just ban the rude members?

LittleLebowski
04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
couldn't one just ban the rude members?

Back on topic, please.

JHC
04-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Oh, well.

Easy, I know said "movie character" and he's not afraid of Satan himself and that would be a close cage fight.

Can we imagine that the FNS triggers may not have been consistent through the life of the product? I've heard other users comment on a poor and hard to improve trigger on some copies of them.

I've seen pretty experienced USPSA shooters who are trying anything for and edge comment that these are tough triggers to improve. Anyone have any insights on that?

Tamara
04-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Can we imagine that the FNS triggers may not have been consistent through the life of the product?

Do you think my response or the post to which I was responding had anything to do with the trigger on any firearm?

JHC
04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Ok enforcer ;) , I was trying to return the discussion to FNS triggers. I've seen some experienced folks report some crappy triggers and one even compared it to a Sigma which seemed to create a disturbance in the force. Then, others have hit on good triggers. The one I've dry fired seemed pretty decent for a striker gun. Who is the first FNS trigger tuner guru?

GJM
04-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Ok enforcer ;) , I was trying to return the discussion to FNS triggers. I've seen some experienced folks report some crappy triggers and one even compared it to a Sigma which seemed to create a disturbance in the force. Then, others have hit on good triggers. The one I've dry fired seemed pretty decent for a striker gun. Who is the first FNS trigger tuner guru?

Randy Lee has had my FNS for 2 or 3 years. Not sure whether he is going to make stuff or not.

In the polymer category, I would be more inclined to consider a CZ P07/09, as I think it is further down the road than the FNS in support, between Cajun, Mink and CZ Custom. I also prefer a hammer.

Hooper
04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
When I went to buy my first poly pistol the FNS was at the top of my preliminary list because of the ambi controls (left handed here) and price point. Fortunately I was able to spend half a day with one before purchasing, as I had the same problem with the mag release. It seemed to be a fatal design flaw to me, the only way I was able to completely avoid a failure to drop the mag was to radically change and weaken my grip on the pistol, in order to get my digits out of the way of the other side of that mag release. As stated by others my problem was that my grip would always impinge on both sides of the mag release when I would try to hit it, which setup forces that would oppose effective movement of the mag catch. And in my experience it was such that simply pushing harder would not help, and this failure was possible both when using my thumb or when using my trigger finger or middle finger to hit the mag release.

My hands are a little on the larger side.

I spent the extra money and bought a Hk P30 instead and have been happy with that decision. In my experience it has a more effective completely ambidextrous mag release design, if one wants such a feature, although its design is not without its own compromises. I think that a traditional one sided push button release may be the best design out there for use with either hand, assuming proper design placement and geometry.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Tamara
04-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Fortunately I was able to spend half a day with one before purchasing, as I had the same problem with the mag release. It seemed to be a fatal design flaw to me, the only way I was able to completely avoid a failure to drop the mag was to radically change and weaken my grip on the pistol, in order to get my digits out of the way of the other side of that mag release. As stated by others my problem was that my grip would always impinge on both sides of the mag release when I would try to hit it, which setup forces that would oppose effective movement of the mag catch. And in my experience it was such that simply pushing harder would not help, and this failure was possible both when using my thumb or when using my trigger finger or middle finger to hit the mag release.

That is a bummer. I'm able to replicate this on the FNS, but I have to shift my hands around to make it happen; in a normal grip I'm okay. It's like the opposite of the slide stop situation on my SP2022. :(

GJM
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
A concern I have with the FNS, is it just rounding error to the overall company. If they don't get the design right, it is but one of a zillion things they sell. I would rather a company focus on their design like their company is literally riding on it.

Tamara
04-03-2014, 09:07 AM
A concern I have with the FNS, is it just rounding error to the overall company. If they don't get the design right, it is but one of a zillion things they sell. I would rather a company focus on their design like their company is literally riding on it.

jetfire
04-03-2014, 09:08 AM

The flipside of that argument is that not being dependent on the design to sell well means they can (in theory) do interesting things without risking losing their shirt.

Trukinjp13
04-03-2014, 09:14 AM
I have not had a accidental mag release on mine yet, but it would be sweet for a mag release with the regular sized button one side and the slim on the other. Obviously they would have to make two separate parts for leftie righty. But it would alleviate the problem with the middle finger release.

The more I shoot mine the more I like it. If you take a lil lube and apply it in the right place on the trigger bar it helps a ton. The trigger smooths out fast but as far as dropping the weight down a lil it takes some rounds down range. It is definitely designed to be a duty trigger vs a comp. trigger. I was never happy with my g19, even after playing with the trigger. This is all personal preference. But my Fns feels better then my glock did at any stage in my trigger experiment. And I enjoy the fact that the Fns is still bone stock, no monkeying involved.

GJM
04-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Tam, is that a picture of one of my CZ .223 carbines, or just a look alike?

Nobody expects CZ to get it right out of the box with pistols -- that is why we have CZ Custom, Mink and Cajun. Tam, I can tell you really want a CZ, and bad. My only question is are you a big gun girl or little gun kind of girl? :)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Image_zpsdd77ffdb.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Image_zpsdd77ffdb.jpg.html)

Tamara
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Tam, is that a picture of one of my CZ .223 carbines, or just a look alike?

Nobody expects CZ to get it right out of the box with pistols -- that is why we have CZ Custom, Mink and Cajun. Tam, I can tell you really want a CZ, and bad. My only question is are you a big gun girl or little gun kind of girl? :

Oh, come on, I was patting myself on the back at my dry wit. :D

CZ75s are, along with BHPs, guns I just can't get all worked up about... But a 527 in 7.62x39 intermittently tickles my fancy, and one of their lovely Mannlicher-stocked .22 rifles is on my bucket list.

GJM
04-03-2014, 12:49 PM
But a 527 in 7.62x39 intermittently tickles my fancy,

I remember showing up at a Gunsite reunion at Whitington Center, with Scoutski my 527 7.62x39. I was shooting up a storm, and proudly proclaimed how I was deadly even on the 300 yard steel with my rig. Jeff Cooper masterfully deflated by large ballon, by suggesting I better hope the coats of paint weren't too thick on those 300 yard targets, if I wanted to see my hits.

Hooper
04-03-2014, 04:30 PM
That is a bummer. I'm able to replicate this on the FNS, but I have to shift my hands around to make it happen; in a normal grip I'm okay. It's like the opposite of the slide stop situation on my SP2022. :(

Interesting. It seems like it is one of those pistol design/sizing/placing issues that works well for some shooters, but not for others. My initial design impression of that mag release was that it would be nice, being ambidextrous and giving a larger engagement surface. I guess the caveat there is when your user base has a wide range of hand sizes and proportions, employing a larger mag catch makes it harder to prevent it from interfering from some of your users.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Sparks2112
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Sorry I'm late on this. The mag catch they sent me was a prototype that was in the white still, and was slimmer on both sides. It "Seemed" to alleviate the mag drop issue I was having but was certainly more difficult for me to release intentionally. The fix for me would be turning it into a single sided magazine release, which oddly enough is what I had done with a spare I had around. As far as the trigger goes... mine was... inconsistent. I'm very lucky though to know someone who's good with a welder however and we're hoping to be able to offer a drop-in trigger kit at some point in the future.

Also, Trijicon is 2-3 weeks out on a set of HDs for me. So that's something.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/10003625_454029121394590_545409283_o.jpg

Tamara
04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Jeff Cooper masterfully deflated by large ballon, by suggesting I better hope the coats of paint weren't too thick on those 300 yard targets, if I wanted to see my hits.

...and yet a .45ACP would drop a man with a solid torso hit "19 times out of 20", despite being less potent at the muzzle than that same short .30 Russian at 300 yards.

I recently re-read Fighting Handguns, and reading the thoughts of a Cooper that was younger then than I am now... some wincing occurred. :o

Nevertheless, we see further because we stand on the shoulders of giants. :)

(ETA: This is not to say I'm a huge fan of 7.62x39, I just like the idea of a bitty bolt carbine in the chambering. I really enjoyed a friend's example, and I have a thing for little bolt-action carbines (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2006/09/boomsticks-somehow-i-thought-youd-be.html).)

Tamara
04-03-2014, 06:32 PM
As far as the trigger goes... mine was... inconsistent. I'm very lucky though to know someone who's good with a welder however and we're hoping to be able to offer a drop-in trigger kit at some point in the future.

Although I have no real gripe with the trigger, put me in for one because what the heck. :cool:

Sparks2112
04-03-2014, 06:40 PM
At this point I've finger diddled quite a few FNS triggers. I tend to ask to see them at any store I find myself in. They're all different. Some are good, some are bad, and it's hard to tell what you're going to end up with.

ALSO, the trigger feel changes between shots on my two examples. This is repeatable via trigger scale. My test gun was varying by as much as a pound between breaks. This should also be fixed...hopefully.

LittleLebowski
04-03-2014, 06:41 PM
...and yet a .45ACP would drop a man with a solid torso hit "19 times out of 20", despite being less potent at the muzzle than that same short .30 Russian at 300 yards.

It will definitely take your arm off (http://pistol-training.com/articles/how-i-got-shot) with one hit.

Tamara
04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
At this point I've finger diddled quite a few FNS triggers.

So, we're not saying "phrasing" anymore, then? :confused:

Sparks2112
04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Dunno...it's hard to keep up.

Tamara
04-03-2014, 06:54 PM
It will definitely take your arm off (http://pistol-training.com/articles/how-i-got-shot) with one hit.

Obviously thicker paint was called for.

TheTrevor
04-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Every time I read that story I find myself hoping that some folks followed up with that back seat passenger to instruct him in the error of his ways. Specifically, by beating him within an inch of his life. Judge me how you will.

LittleLebowski
04-03-2014, 07:32 PM
So, we're not saying "phrasing" anymore, then? :confused:

You win internets for today.

JHC
04-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I remember showing up at a Gunsite reunion at Whitington Center, with Scoutski my 527 7.62x39. I was shooting up a storm, and proudly proclaimed how I was deadly even on the 300 yard steel with my rig. Jeff Cooper masterfully deflated by large ballon, by suggesting I better hope the coats of paint weren't too thick on those 300 yard targets, if I wanted to see my hits.

Were you on hand for his pre-event ATV ride to calibrate poppers so the 9mm's could not or barely make them fall? ;) Or so they say.

jetfire
04-04-2014, 07:32 AM
At this point I've finger diddled quite a few FNS triggers. I tend to ask to see them at any store I find myself in. They're all different. Some are good, some are bad, and it's hard to tell what you're going to end up with.

ALSO, the trigger feel changes between shots on my two examples. This is repeatable via trigger scale. My test gun was varying by as much as a pound between breaks. This should also be fixed...hopefully.

I have this image of JJ replicating the scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly where Tuco takes apart all the cap and ball Colts in the store, and then pieces his perfect gun back together from three different revolvers. Except Jj's doing it with FNS while live broadcasting it.