PDA

View Full Version : "Earning the Shot;" looking for a drill critique.

Rick Finsta
03-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Yesterday I was working with a (relatively new) shooter who had... a few problems, causing hits 1.5-2' low at only 10 yards with a G21. The first problem was identified as natural point of aim being low; fixing his grip alleviated this issue, but he still had an AWFUL flinch/recoil anticipation issue, and a more minor problem with trigger control. I worked through ball and dummy with him (and also did Paul Howe's trick of having him turn around, and then manipulating his pistol and handing it back to him in a loaded or unloaded condition; unknown to him), and decided that since this seemed to be a deeply ingrained problem, I'd need a take-away "assignment" so he could work on this himself without wasting ammo. I'd like opinions on this, as I came up with it on the fly (though I am sure it is nothing new) and want to make sure it isn't missing something important.

"Earning the Shot:"
1) Administratively load one round
2) Tac-reload an empty mag
3) Target at 7-10 yards (8" paper plate with a 4" circle drawn in the center), fire one shot to center of target.
4) If the hit is in the center 4" circle of the target, go to Step 1
5) If the hit is outside of the 4" circle or off the target, dry fire once
6) Hold back the trigger while resetting the striker/hammer, and then release after three seconds
7) Repeat Step 6 until you have completed two consecutive repetitions with no discernable sight movement, then go to Step 1

I had him work through it a few times to make sure he understood so he could do it on his own, and it seemed to really increase his performance and confidence. I also instructed him to devote some time to dry practice each week, but I figured he needed to get some live fire time to really break this habit. I just want to run it by the hive mind in case I've done something monumentally stupid.

JM Campbell
03-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Nope, good advice. Jack at F2S had us doing this drill partnered up at 25yrds on a b8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk