PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Dynamit Nobel (Geco) 124gr. FMJ Ammo

JM Campbell
06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Looking for a good practice ammo, that I can also reload. I have heard this is a bi-metal case, does this mean it is not able to be reloaded?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_61_118/products_id/3930/page/5

I want to try to use a NATO powered round that will mimic Ranger carry ammo then reload to spec if possible.

I like the idea of the zinc plated discussed here http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1121-Zinc-Plated-Steel but feel it's a lost investment because of the steel case.
I'm shooting on a fixed budget and want to maximize the bang for the buck.

I have been reloading for my P30L

Berrys 115gr fmj
6.2 gr Pistol Power
CCI primers

I want to train with something closer to the NATO/Ranger [RA9124TP] since that is the ammo I will be carrying. Or is it a lost cause and train with 115gr and rotate more carry ammo practice into the regiment?

Thank You in advance for your replies.

TGS
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
AFAIK, it's a brass case. The bullet is not just copper jacketed lead, though. It's got steel or iron, whichever, too. That means you won't be able to shoot it at certain indoor ranges.

JM Campbell
06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Only one indoor range around me and I prefer not to attend that location, so that's a non issue for me.

Thanks for your reply.

VolGrad
06-20-2011, 08:11 PM
It's brass cased and can be re-loaded. I like it. I've been shooting it as my "match" ammo lately as my re-loads for practice have some bad primers I'm still burning through.

EDIT: Sort of reminded me I might need to place another order soon. I'm almost out of this.

John Ralston
06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
It is pretty peppy - and very accurate in my P30. If you have any plans of reloading in the future, skip the zinc plated stuff and get the brass cased Geco.

zRxz
06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
It's hot shit and I absolutely love it. Aside from being a clean, brass cased cartridge, it has flash retardant powder. It was the winner during the low-light portion of Hackathorn's Advanced Pistol.

LtDave
06-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Watch the flash hole size. I had to get smaller decapping pins. The regular ones would get stuck in the case.

Chuck Haggard
07-08-2011, 10:12 PM
This stuff is basically Swiss .mil ammo, and most excellent stuff. If I had to use FMJ for defense this would be high on my list to carry.

JM Campbell
07-09-2011, 05:07 AM
I have to agree, this stuff is great. I bought 1k and am going to order more.

BRBruce
07-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Ammunitiontogo.com
Midwayusa.com
LuckyGunner.com
These places usually have Winchester Ranger FMJ in stock. Ammoman.com may have it as well.

Chuck Haggard
07-09-2011, 11:06 AM
On another note, I have yet to see enough variation between various 115-124gr 9mm ammo ref POA vs POI to worry about it.

I shoot whatever is cheapest at the time.

That being said, the ammo is question is very good stuff. Has a nice sparkle effect when you shoot steel in dim light, so that's a bonus.

MikeO
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Is it bi-metal cases or bi-metal jackets, or both?

The bi-metal jacketed bullets can accelerate bbl wear compared to normal copper jacketed bullets according to Wolf:

WOLF's Bi-metal ammunition has a copper and steel mixed jacket instead of a jacket entirely made of copper. Unlike copper jacketed ammunition, Bi-metal ammunition will accelerate barrel wear. You will begin to see some barrel
wear using the Bi-metal jacketed ammunition after about 5-6K rounds.

Thanks for your inquiry and interest in WOLF Performance Ammunition.

Chuck Haggard
08-18-2011, 01:08 PM
The copper coated steel jacketed ammo seems to work rather well for a number of NATO .mil outfits, and obviously the Swiss.

JodyH
08-18-2011, 01:21 PM
At rifle velocities I could see accelerated barrel wear being an issue.
At handgun velocities I'm doubtful, especially in polygonal bores like Glock and H&K.
My P2000 has a minimum of 7500 bi-metal jacketed rounds downrange and the bore looks as good as new.