PDA

View Full Version : Draw Strings on jackets and firearms

gtmtnbiker98
03-29-2014, 09:33 PM
While teaching a class today, a student had a rain jacket with a side draw string. Of course, the string managed to get wrapped in the trigger guard area of a Glock 34. Luckily it was observed and stopped. Needless to say, despite the rain, sleet, and snow - anybody with draw strings was told to cut the strings or remove the jacket. I let the jacket slip buy, but after today, it won't happen again!

Just sharing for community consumption. I was well aware of the hazard, but the jacket still slipped through the cracks.

BaiHu
03-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Ugh! Lucky day. Glad disaster was averted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Malamute
03-29-2014, 10:13 PM
I've had trouble with them, they are a definate hazard. Some can be tied with a simple knot to adjust them and the extra cut off, or removed as you said. The sliding adjusters are bad news. One parka type coat I tried years ago had an entire skirt type baffle around the waist, it was ridicules. I sent it back and told them why.

Savage Hands
03-29-2014, 11:48 PM
While teaching a class today, a student had a rain jacket with a side draw string. Of course, the string managed to get wrapped in the trigger guard area of a Glock 34. Luckily it was observed and stopped. Needless to say, despite the rain, sleet, and snow - anybody with draw strings was told to cut the strings or remove the jacket. I let the jacket slip buy, but after today, it won't happen again!

Just sharing for community consumption. I was well aware of the hazard, but the jacket still slipped through the cracks.

Saw it happen in Todd's class and he stopped it before the gun was holstered completely.

Totem Polar
03-30-2014, 12:21 AM
After that police chief recently shot himself (for the second time, mind) with his Glock en route to the holster with a case of "drawstringus interruptus" and the video made the rounds, I would hope to God that every pistol owner alive summarily cut that kitten off of their jackets.

pax
03-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Needless to say, despite the rain, sleet, and snow - anybody with draw strings was told to cut the strings or remove the jacket.

I keep a handful of safety pins in my teaching kit for just that reason.

pax

breakingtime91
03-30-2014, 01:42 AM
This is why I wish glock would make a glock 19 with a MP style saftey. Until then the mp 9c with thumb saftey will be here.

GardoneVT
03-30-2014, 05:24 AM
I submit that ANY loose string present on the waistband area of your garments -jacket, t shirt, or otherwise-are a categorical risk to your safety as a gun owner, and should be removed at once.

I say that because years ago, I owned and carried a Taurus PT-99 Condition 1. One day I leave my car to go eat and feel a weird sensation in my holster mid exit-so I sit back down, slowly, and closed my drivers side door to find that a random string on my cotton sweater had somehow wrapped itself around the grip and trigger of the gun-pinning the trigger to the rear with enough force that I needed my pocketknife to cut it off. Don't think for a moment that just because a loose string looks thin that its not strong enough to activate the trigger, cause it will once that little string gets caught on the grip and tensioned against your garment. Since the gun was on safe, no loud noise resulted-but that wasn't the point.

I was still a negligent fool for wearing the wrong attire to start with, and the only reason I didn't blow a hole in myself and my car is luck.

VolGrad
03-30-2014, 07:30 AM
The first time this ever cross my mind was in one of Todd's class as well. Everyone cut off the drawstrings right there on the spot. Honestly, I've never drawn them tight anyway except for maybe once while snow skiing.

JeffJ
03-30-2014, 07:50 AM
I've got several where the only adjustment/exposed part is on the left side. Otherwise they get cut off.

Don Gwinn
03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Question: drawstrings are bad news, we all agree on that, yes? What's known about incidents where a piece of clothing itself causes an ND? I'm talking about something like what happened to me at an FOF class a couple of weeks ago, when I was wearing a soft fleece jacket. I'd already cut the drawstrings off it, but it wasn't my usual cover garment (I usually wear a blazer when I'm not wearing a coat, at least in these cold months) and it managed to work its way into the holster unnoticed. I holstered, not feeling any extra resistance, and I'm not sure looking more closely at the holster would have helped--I wear it at 3:00-3:30 partly so I can see the holster, and this was an OWB paddle, but the black shirt was between the black gun and the black holster in a dark room, and the gun was still very close to my body.
Anyway, I didn't feel resistance or see the shirt get caught, but I felt it tugging when I turned around, and without thinking that it could have been caught inside the holster, I just tugged it loose. When I felt the gun click into place in the holster, I realized what I'd just done. Freaked me out a little. Seems like there's nothing to be done about it except to clear the garment of the holster every time the gun goes back in . . . which I hadn't done.

Obviously, this is a thing to be avoided on principle, but is there actual evidence of ND's caused by similar incidents with the hem of the garment itself getting into the holster?

breakingtime91
03-30-2014, 01:00 PM
That's why the gadget or a saftey is such a good idea, seeing as we're all capable of a lack of focus or judgement.

TheTrevor
03-30-2014, 01:21 PM
I've got several where the only adjustment/exposed part is on the left side. Otherwise they get cut off.

Likewise.

Savage Hands
03-30-2014, 01:28 PM
If we can ever get one. Can you imagine how many ND's it could prevent right now? :cool:

pax
03-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Obviously, this is a thing to be avoided on principle, but is there actual evidence of ND's caused by similar incidents with the hem of the garment itself getting into the holster?

Have a friend who shot himself in just that way, several years before he ever took a class and learned not to be stupid around guns. Shirt got caught inside the holster. He felt that his shirt was caught, so he tugged on it to free it. Gun popped out of the holster & began to fall, and he grabbed for the falling gun with sadly predictable consequences.

pax

LHS
03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Question: drawstrings are bad news, we all agree on that, yes? What's known about incidents where a piece of clothing itself causes an ND? I'm talking about something like what happened to me at an FOF class a couple of weeks ago, when I was wearing a soft fleece jacket. I'd already cut the drawstrings off it, but it wasn't my usual cover garment (I usually wear a blazer when I'm not wearing a coat, at least in these cold months) and it managed to work its way into the holster unnoticed. I holstered, not feeling any extra resistance, and I'm not sure looking more closely at the holster would have helped--I wear it at 3:00-3:30 partly so I can see the holster, and this was an OWB paddle, but the black shirt was between the black gun and the black holster in a dark room, and the gun was still very close to my body.
Anyway, I didn't feel resistance or see the shirt get caught, but I felt it tugging when I turned around, and without thinking that it could have been caught inside the holster, I just tugged it loose. When I felt the gun click into place in the holster, I realized what I'd just done. Freaked me out a little. Seems like there's nothing to be done about it except to clear the garment of the holster every time the gun goes back in . . . which I hadn't done.

I had it almost happen to me once. I'd been out shooting all day, and my tucked undershirt had come loose. I went to reholster, and as usual, kept my thumb on the back of the hammer. As the gun went into the holster, I felt that hammer start to come back. I immediately stopped and found the hem of my T-shirt had somehow gotten around the sweat guard of my IWB and into the trigger guard, where the trigger promptly caught it. That was when I resolved to never carry a gun without either a manual safety or exposed hammer.

Joe Mamma
03-31-2014, 10:00 PM
The problem is real. See below:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting6.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/ormd/media/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting6.jpg.html)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting5.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/ormd/media/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting5.jpg.html)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting2.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/ormd/media/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting2.jpg.html)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting1.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/ormd/media/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting1.jpg.html)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting6.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/ormd/media/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting6.jpg.html)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting3.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/ormd/media/Travis%20email%20re%20negl%20disch/Shooting3.jpg.html)

Joe Mamma

BJJ
03-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Recently, I have started to feel like every firearm should have a manual safety. I only own Glock pistols but I am starting to wish they had a manual safety. If you are worried leaving the safety on when you need to shoot, maybe you should practice more. No manual safety requires absolutely no screwups or lapses in attention.

WBower
03-31-2014, 10:27 PM
This very thing was my justification for the thumb safety variant of the M&P as my daily CCW. Although lately I have been considering moving to a G26, so I've been following discussions like this with a keen interest.

Typically I conceal under a t-shirt or a polo shirt, sometimes a button-up. I wear a black or grey undershirt (tank top) between myself and the holster. I find it helps to keep my outer shirt, be it a t-shirt or polo, better in place and helps prevent ride-up. I have noticed though that while practicing the shirt can become "bunched up" after repeated draw strokes, or can get untucked. Obviously this presents a potential to foul the trigger in the holster and I have to make a conscious effort to "fix" my shirt after every 10 draw strokes. In training classes I forgo to undershirt as usually training tempo doesn't allow much time to fix it.

Cookie Monster
03-31-2014, 10:43 PM
I just got the scissors out on everything after Joe Mamma's post. My wife was confused but she is used to it.

Cookie Monster

Lomshek
03-31-2014, 10:55 PM
The problem is real. See below:

:eek:

Hope everything healed up for you!

Joe Mamma
03-31-2014, 11:42 PM
:eek:

Hope everything healed up for you!

Fortunately, it wasn't me. Those pics were sent to me from a friend a while ago, about an incident which I believe took place years ago. Here's what I was told:

"This incident involves a Sheriff's Deputy in Louisiana this past week.
He went to the range and was shooting with a raid jacket (with a draw
string) as their policy dictates. He was using a paddle holster with his
duty carry weapon and often uses the same holster for duty carry.

He completed the qualification, reloaded the weapon for duty carry and
holstered his weapon at the range. When he holstered his weapon the draw
string attachment became lodged in trigger guard. This deputy then went
some period of time and went home. When he removed the paddle holster the
draw string pulled tight and discharged the weapon with the firearm in the
holster. The deputy was shot in the outer thigh and buttocks. The deputy
will be fine.

Definitely a freak accident, but something we should all be aware of, as
we shoot with similar jackets."

Joe Mamma

Slavex
04-01-2014, 03:29 AM
The part that really scares me about this kind of accident is if you end up with the gun in the holster and realize you have a drawstring or shirt or whatever, jammed in there. It's like a bomb with only a few seconds left on the clock and you don't know which wire to cut.

JeffJ
04-01-2014, 06:52 AM
Recently, I have started to feel like every firearm should have a manual safety. I only own Glock pistols but I am starting to wish they had a manual safety. If you are worried leaving the safety on when you need to shoot, maybe you should practice more. No manual safety requires absolutely no screwups or lapses in attention.

Having recently switched from a Glock to a CZ - I don't think I'll ever carry a gun without a hammer again, I've carried a 1911 and the safety was OK, but I really prefer being able to put my thumb on the hammer

JHC
04-01-2014, 07:31 AM
That's why the gadget or a saftey is such a good idea, seeing as we're all capable of a lack of focus or judgement.

+1 or until that day, a VG2. ;)

But a great and timely thread that I'll link to on my FB page for some newish shooters coming up.

Thx

Don Gwinn
04-01-2014, 11:52 AM
I like the idea of The Gadget, but I accept that it does not currently, as such . . . . exist.

In the meantime, the best I've come up with is to practice pressing my off hand against my side at the top of the holster and dragging up and in a little bit before I holster. I realize this comes close to muzzling my hand, but I figure if I train to do it in two distinct steps so the hand is above and inboard of the gun as it comes to the holster, it should be safe.
Yes? No? Maybe so?

JHC
04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I like the idea of The Gadget, but I accept that it does not currently, as such . . . . exist.

In the meantime, the best I've come up with is to practice pressing my off hand against my side at the top of the holster and dragging up and in a little bit before I holster. I realize this comes close to muzzling my hand, but I figure if I train to do it in two distinct steps so the hand is above and inboard of the gun as it comes to the holster, it should be safe.
Yes? No? Maybe so?

close to but not muzzling; sounds like a legit mechanism. No closer than the muzzling of toes on most AIWB reholsters.

BobLoblaw
04-01-2014, 04:29 PM
I don't have sweat guards on my non-AIWB holsters for this very reason. It forces me to lift up all shirts/coats and visually check while guiding the muzzle home. I do the same with my AIWB holsters too obviously, but the sweat guard is less of a shirt tail holder and more of a sight poking guard for my uh, fatty abs.

jetfire
04-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I started cutting all the drawstrings off my stuff after taking General Defensive Handgun at InSights back in 2010. I had a big scare dry firing recently when I was practicing with my IDPA vest and a piece of velcro got bunched up in the trigger guard. I wasn't paying super duper attention and then I heard this "click" as the gun went into the holster. Loudest sound EVER.

gtmtnbiker98
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
I started cutting all the drawstrings off my stuff after taking General Defensive Handgun at InSights back in 2010. I had a big scare dry firing recently when I was practicing with my IDPA vest and a piece of velcro got bunched up in the trigger guard. I wasn't paying super duper attention and then I heard this "click" as the gun went into the holster. Loudest sound EVER.That is why I stay with "archaic' hammer guns.

TheTrevor
04-02-2014, 04:51 PM
That is why I stay with "archaic' hammer guns.

Right there with you.

jetfire
04-02-2014, 04:51 PM

It's funny, I was working with a striker gun, and I had my thumb over the back of the slide like I'd do with a Beretta or a wheelgun, just out of reflex. Not that it does any good on the gun I was using.

gtmtnbiker98
04-02-2014, 05:46 PM
It's funny, I was working with a striker gun, and I had my thumb over the back of the slide like I'd do with a Beretta or a wheelgun, just out of reflex. Not that it does any good on the gun I was using.Great habit, though.

Malamute
04-02-2014, 05:55 PM

That's good in regards to a trigger snag on a striker fired gun. I've had drawstrings get snagged up on hammers and rear sights when drawing, and when taking the coat off. I think I've grabbed some drawstring when getting a grip in the gun also.

LHS
04-02-2014, 09:17 PM
That's good in regards to a trigger snag on a striker fired gun. I've had drawstrings get snagged up on hammers and rear sights when drawing, and when taking the coat off. I think I've grabbed some drawstring when getting a grip in the gun also.

That's one reason I'd love to get some of the bobbed D-style Beretta hammers with a SA notch for all my 92s. It gives you the best of both worlds.

TheTrevor
04-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Bobbed HK LEM trigger for the win on that one.

Terence
04-07-2014, 04:20 PM
FWIW, I have a Marmot jacket that has a drawstring with the associated little plastic dingus, but they are set up so you tighten them from inside the pockets. The string and dingus are not present on the outside of the jacket. Unless you take your pistol out of its holster and carry it in your jacket pocket, there's no way for the two to come into contact. Marmot stuff is kinda pricey, but I got mine for 50% off at TJ Maxx. So there are deals if you sniff around.

alpine44
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Deleted.