PDA

View Full Version : CZ P07

psalms144.1
03-29-2014, 08:21 PM
So, talk me out of this pistol. I currently carry either a G19 or P2000 with TLG LEM trigger. The P07 seems to be size-equivalent to the G19 with one more round in the magazine; slightly bigger than the P2000 but +3 mag capacity.

Right now, I love the "shootability" of the Glock, but accuracy at distance is problematic in the sample I'm currently running. I've had other G19s that were dramatically more consistent at distance. This is my 6th G19 since 2010, and the first that I've been able to keep running without dramatic BTF or reliability issues. I have tried a drop-in KKM barrel, which helped some, but resulted in multiple failures to fire - about 6 in the first 200 rounds I've tried.

I prefer the "feel," size and accuracy of the P2000, but, frankly, the LEM trigger frustrates the crap out of me. The "wall" at the end of the light take up is so significant that I find myself consistently "staging and snatching" with the LEM, and I have the devil's own time pressing continuously through the trigger arc. It's frustrating enough that I've even considered getting a DA/SA version of the P2K. Also, I'm tired of begging people to make decent after market sights for the P2K - the P30 is getting "all the love" from sight makers nowadays.

In theory, the P07 offers a concealable, high capacity, accurate pistol with a decent trigger. I have no trouble with DA/SA decocker, for close to a decade my agency was Sig-only, and I carried a P228, P226, or P238 daily. Currently my concerns are (a) aftermarket support - I don't want to get into another platform that's limited on sights, holsters, etc, (b) trigger - I'm hearing various reports about the trigger being "meh" to FANTASTIC, and (c) accuracy - I can keep 4/5 shots on a 3x5 with the P2000, but I'm frustrated that the G19 won't do the same.

So, what say you all. Do I drop the $500 (shipped and transferred) for an experiment, or am I buying into trouble and frustration?

JM Campbell
03-29-2014, 09:00 PM
500 + holster/s + mag carriers + sights + possible trigger work.

My suggestion (and what I should have done from the beginning) drop the 500 on ammo and 3x5s cut in half. Reevaluate after that...I do miss my 2 P30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

GJM
03-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Mike Pannone (sp) sure seems to dig his P07 and P09. Thread on M4 now with his video links.

Every gun decision doesn't have to pencil -- sometimes you just want to shoot something else for fun.

taadski
03-29-2014, 09:38 PM
This should help talk you out of it…

http://www.defensereview.com/cz-p-07-duty-combattactical-pistol-the-best-pistol-nobody-knows-about/

:p

I have a good buddy who's a CZ dealer and I had the chance to put a few hundred rounds through one of the first generation P07s when they first came out. I can't speak to after market support but I was pretty impressed with the pistol on the whole. The omega trigger is pretty nice in my opinion. It's no Shadow trigger but it felt quite a bit lighter and smoother than a stock 75/SPO1 (which admittedly isn't something to jump up and down about) or P series Sig comes out of the box. The reset length is on par with stock 75/SP01s or standard Sigs so it felt a touch long but I shoot SRT'd guns. The accuracy was excellent and on par with what you can expect from CZs. My overall impression is that they're pretty underrated.

t

YVK
03-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Pannone's gun has been overworked by the CZ Custom, according to that thread. CGW offers a reworked 07/09 package with sights at $875 shipped. Two of my P01s, both from two custom makers, had a reset within 1mm from stock LEM; I would hope that P07 is better that way.

Gary1911A1
03-30-2014, 04:16 AM
You can also buy from these guys for about the same price and be ready to go. Never used them, but I have used the CZ Custom Shop and they did good work too.

http://cajungunworks.com/guns_for_sale.html

GJM
03-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Interesting positive comments by Randy Lee in the M4 thread on the 07/09.

littlejerry
03-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Interesting positive comments by Randy Lee in the M4 thread on the 07/09.

Indeed. Great to see CZ getting some love and support

Stephen
03-30-2014, 07:20 AM
"I plan on making some aftermarket parts for the gun, as I see a lot of potential for both the P-09 and P-07." -Randy Lee

Well, that's exciting.

GJM- Have you shot your 09 much yet?

GJM
03-30-2014, 07:29 AM
It will be a month or so until I get to pick it up at the FFL it was shipped to.

Stephen
03-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Since no one addressed your specific concerns, I'd thought I'd chime in.

Currently my concerns are
(a) aftermarket support - I don't want to get into another platform that's limited on sights, holsters, etc, Sight selection is disappointing IMO. There are some options out there, but nothing like the more ubiquitous pistols. Holster selection was lousy when I got my P-07 a year and half ago, but the situation has improved significantly in recent months. I don't think holster availability will be a problem. Parts are readily available from CZ-USA. Duty mags are easy to find but expensive. The cheaper CZ-75 mags work in the P-07 (but not P-09).
(b) trigger - I'm hearing various reports about the trigger being "meh" to FANTASTIC This is subjective, but here's my take: Out of the box the trigger is fine for a defensive pistol, but not fantastic. Its smooth and consistent, but there's lots of take-up and the reset is kind of long. Cajun Gun Works has a variety of mods available to adjust the trigger.
(c) accuracy - I can keep 4/5 shots on a 3x5 with the P2000, but I'm frustrated that the G19 won't do the same. Only recently have I begun to work out to 25 yards, but I'm more accurate with my P-07 than anything else I own.

So, what say you all. Do I drop the $500 (shipped and transferred) for an experiment, or am I buying into trouble and frustration? I've been very pleased with my P-07 experience. FredM recently acquired a P-09 and GJM has one coming. Maybe you could wait for their range reports to get the benefit of their experience before you make the investment

98z28
03-30-2014, 08:33 AM
It will be a month or so until I get to pick it up at the FFL it was shipped to.

Awewome. Did you order from CGW? Did they mention whether they are using the 2014 guns as a base, or are they working through a stock of older guns?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

GJM
03-30-2014, 09:03 AM
I got a complete P09 pistol from Cajun, with their sights, reliability and trigger work. I don't think the P09 has changed for 2014, where the P07 in 2014 has the different trigger, slide profile and changeable back straps.

Trajan
03-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Question: Why is the P07 Duty 16+1, but the updated P07 is now 15+1?

GJM
03-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Question: Why is the P07 Duty 16+1, but the updated P07 is now 15+1?

let us know when you figure it out! To my knowledge, the magazines haven't changed, but the listed capacity has.

Stephen
03-30-2014, 10:41 AM
The P-07 magazines are very hard to load to 16 without an uplula, strong thumbs, or broken-in springs. And once you get #16 jammed in, the magazine might not seat on a closed slide.

When I first got my P-07, one of the two factory mags would not seat when filled to the 16 capacity with one in the chamber. I emailed CZ about it and they sent me a new magazine. I'd guess they got more complaints than just mine, so they started calling them 15 rounders. After the troublesome mag had seen a few range trips it was able to seat properly with 16+1. But be aware that you might have some trouble with round #16 on brand new mags.

psalms144.1
03-30-2014, 04:25 PM
500 + holster/s + mag carriers + sights + possible trigger work.

My suggestion (and what I should have done from the beginning) drop the 500 on ammo and 3x5s cut in half. Reevaluate after that...I do miss my 2 P30.Skyline - I get 9mm for free from my agency, and have about 50,000 rounds through a number of G19s since 2008. Not sure what more Glock shooting is going to do for me. I've had G19s that would keep 4 or 5 of 5 on the 3x5 at 25 yards, but the one I have now just won't do it - without the KKM barrel, that is.

psalms144.1
03-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Stephen - thanks for your observations both to my direct questions and WRT the magazine capacity.

JM Campbell
03-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Copy that! CZ looking good then for a change of pace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Casual Friday
03-30-2014, 06:05 PM
The P07 looks like another good option for a G19 size DA/SA pistol. I would like to shoot one side by side with my Sig Pro.

Wheeler
03-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Jlw is trying to bamboozle me into getting one as an attempt to drag me kicking and screaming into 21st century. If all goes well I'll pick it up this week and hopefully have a preliminary range report by the weekend.

jlw
03-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Jlw is trying to bamboozle me into getting one as an attempt to drag me kicking and screaming into 21st century. If all goes well I'll pick it up this week and hopefully have a preliminary range report by the weekend.

Bamboozle? I am being very upfront in trying to convince you to buy one so that I can try it.

GJM
03-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Bamboozle? I am being very upfront in trying to convince you to buy one so that I can try it.

If he is a real buddy -- he will let you bring it to Rogers to show off. Think he can get sights and a trigger job by then?

BigT
03-30-2014, 08:24 PM
The P07 has become very popular here. With our long history with CZ I think it was a natural fit for a lot of guys. In fact I think the P07 may have become the most popular pistol I see on courses behind the various Glocks. The stoppages I've seen have all appeared on the face of it to be the result of dodgy reloading or silly user errors like riding the slide forward. Other than that they seem to run very well. None have seen any custom work and all have been stock except for maybe sights on one or two.

Wheeler
03-30-2014, 08:25 PM
If he is a real buddy -- he will let you bring it to Rogers to show off. Think he can get sights and a trigger job by then?

Probably not. He's on a budget. I might let him take the BDM though. ;-)

jlw
03-30-2014, 08:52 PM

The problem is that he will order wrong-handed holster/mag pouches.

Wheeler
03-30-2014, 09:16 PM
The problem is that he will order wrong-handed holster/mag pouches.

Karma. ;-)
I remember the time you handed me an FN-FNS and one of your M&P holsters.

EPF
03-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Can anyone recommend an online retailer that is known to be carrying the 2014 version and has it in stock? Might just be my lack of search prowess, but its confusing with so many of the sites having the "duty" designation in the title and using pictures of the older gun.

Thanks
Eric

chiral
03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Kygunco.com. Search for sku 91086.

EPF
03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Kygunco.com. Search for sku 91086.

Thanks

shakazulu12
03-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Bud's has it under the same sku as well.

YVK
03-31-2014, 07:48 PM
I handled a P09 today briefly. I thought that ergos and trigger were better than on both of my custom P01s. Very cursory eval, though. Need to live fire one.