PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Beginner/Intermediate Training in Southern CA

Nik the Greek
06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to pistols, and due to the rules of many ranges, not proficient at the moment with drawing from a holster. I'm looking for training in proper stance, grip etc. then, after I feel that I'm on the right track, training in practical fundamentals and drills to prepare for advanced courses later. I don't want to learn bad habits I'll have to break later.

Anyone have recommendations for reliable trainers/schools in southern California near Orange County. Or, at least, not too far from socal?

Ray Keith
06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
http://www.internationaltactical.com/scott.html

I would suggest this as a close facility.

Ray

Odin Bravo One
06-21-2011, 03:37 AM
I spent a lot of time at the range with ITTS in years gone by. By far some of the best all around pistol training you can get in California. I would make the drive from San Diego any weekend Scotty was running a pistol course. Shooting on the moving target system, debunking some myths and reality checking the 21 foot rule, as well as some long range handgunning (200 yards or so) will push all level of shooters.

The great thing is that Scott and Brett don't cater solely to the advanced shooter. Their curriculum progression is great from a beginners stand point, and you shoot and progress at your pace. I don't necessarily concur with 100% of the techniques, tactics, or procedures in use and/or advocated by ITTS, but I respect their background and experience to say what they feel is the right way to tackle various scenarios. Top notch professionals, providing top notch instruction. Probably the only thing I miss about California.........

Steven C.
07-08-2011, 12:10 AM
www.mossietactics.com

Onikudaki
07-09-2011, 12:23 AM
For anyone interested I just posted this thread in pistol class announcements:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1277-Mossie-Tactics-1-Day-Intro-to-Pistol-Class-SoCal%26%238206%3B-July-31st-2011

This is Mossie Tactics last Intro to Pistol class of the year.. Don't miss out on this opportunity to get some quality training!

Dagga Boy
07-20-2011, 02:00 AM
The only benefit to living in SoCal as a gun owner is being close to ITTS. It is the perfect place to build a foundation if you are interested in real world gunfighting. I would invest heavily in numerous classes with them, and then start to branch out to get some varied instruction to build on the ITTS foundation.

Buck Mossie is also a good instructor, and would recommend him without issue.

Bill Murphy at Firearms Training Associates is also an excellent instructor with a ton of real world experience.

I am also biased, but 10-8 performance also does a great job, and most of the folks associated with 10-8 have spent a lot oftraining time with both Scotty Reitz at ITTS as well as Vickers, Hackathorn and Pat Rogers.

Odin Bravo One
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Good point on 10-8. TL and crew bring in some quality instructors, and do a pretty bang up job themselves in teaching their own classes. Thanks for the reminder. I seem to have info dumped everything once my mind was allowed to think rational thoughts when I moved to a free part of the country.

Shellback
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
You may also want to check out Blackwater/USTC San Diego. I have never attended their training but I do know they have a good reputation. Here's the CA training schedule. http://www.ustraining.com/new/Southwest/schedule.asp