PDA

View Full Version : WHO and SHO?

flyboy1313
06-20-2011, 08:06 AM
What is the proper stance for Weak Hand Only, and Strong Hand Only. I thought the Isosceles with a small cant, arm slightly bent for recoil. I've just finished reading StressFire by Ayoob, and he has something completely different called 'The Punch.' I see the benefit of this when working around a cover, but I want to start with the basics, and work from cover from there. I've just started working on one hand shooting, and want to start doing this correctly.

On a side note, I saw a link to the P.T. target. Can someone tell me the number or website where I can order some of these. I can't find the link anymore.Thanks.

ToddG
06-20-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't change my stance to shoot SHO/WHO. Getting too wrapped up about where my feet are is asking for trouble when I might have to be moving or limited by proper use of cover.

You can order the Q-PT at National Target (http://www.nationaltarget.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NT&Category_Code=PT.com). Note that the image on their website isn't the actual target. It's a rough concept drawing. Hopefully, they'll get the right image posted one of these days.

virginiatactical
06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I also do not change my stance shooting SH/WH, however I do change what I do with my hands. I shoot with a slight cant, and I practice bringing my non shooting hand up to my chest as much as possible, and attempting to secure it by gripping some fabric or gear. There are a myriad of reasons to shoot SH/WH, but my largest reason would probably be because of a wound of some sort to that non shooting hand. I will attempt to bring my non shooting hand up to my chest in order to facilitate movement, and streamline my body through any obstacles or potential obstacles. A wounded hand dangling at its side can be problematic if it crashes into objects as you attempt to withdraw or move. Though many people do say if you can bring your wounded hand up to your armpit you should have it on your weapon, I can tell you that doesn't always work from personal experience. One of the times I was wounded in Iraq I received shrapnel to my forearm, it hurt like a bitch. I couldn't bring both hands on my rifle, so I brought it up to one of my mag pouches on my vest and held on to that pouch. One of the other Marines pulled me into a concrete building as we continued to receive mortar fire. There was nothing to shoot at since it was IDF, but when I did get pulled in through that doorway my wounded arm barely nicked the doorway. If my arm was just dangling it would have hit it much harder, and who knows .. maybe I would have not gotten through the doorway then, and the next mortar round would have been the deal ender for me? At HRP we also taught to bring your hand up to your armpit/chest area if possible while shooting one handed to facilitate movement, and control the fluidity of your body while engaging that threat. Note that this is not always possible, but I believe it is best if possible.

edited: I forgot to mention grip placement ...

I also am an advocate of bringing your shooting thumb down to meet your middle finger on a one handed grip. Usually we are used to having our thumbs forward of the slide or up in that area. Of course this is great for a 2 handed grip. One handed that thumb down to your middle finger does provide more grip strength on your pistol. I always compare it to doing a pull up. You get more pull ups knocked out if you bring your thumb down and around to your booger finger as you grip the bar then if you leave your thumb lined up to the rest of your fingers. You can also feel your grip strength improve on that pull up bar if you do it that way, and likewise you can feel your grip strength become weaker if you line up your thumb to the rest of your fingers. Of course our booger finger is actuating the trigger while shooting so we bring the thumb to the next available finger (the middle one!).

ToddG
06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Agree 100% on gripping something centerline with the non-shooting hand as well as closing the shooting hand into a fist for one handed shooting.

I also cant my pistol when I shoot SHO/WHO. However, in my experience there are some people who genuinely do better with the gun straight up and down and some who do better canted. There are anatomical/mechanical arguments in favor of both approaches. What I generally tell students is to do what feels right and then when you hit a plateau, try doing the other. That will often get folks past the plateau. Later on, they can reassess whether their new option (canting or not canting) really makes a difference.

JM Campbell
06-20-2011, 05:18 PM
I have to try the canting, might be the ticket for me. Thanks for the insight.

CCT125US
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
My foot position does not change, however I tend to roll my shoulder toward the target while canting the gun. This might be described as a punching motion? I get much better results on target when I cant the gun either SHO / WHO. I found that if I hold the gun vertically with either hand my shots tend to drift toward the center line of my body (path of least resistance) Looks kind of silly IMO but dang if it does work.

zRxz
06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I think at the point where you have lost your support hand to a wound (or whatever), most of your mind will be focused on your sights and trigger, both of which become absolutely critical to accuracy. More-so than they are already. Any sort of lapse in the fundamentals at that point will be pronounced on target.

JAD
08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
A tip I picked up years ago from Crews still works fairly well -- I use a little more finger when shooting with my weak hand, getting it in up to the crease as if I were shooting a DA. Marked improvement both as a noob and as a, uhm, older noob.