PDA

View Full Version : STP Engine Degreaser for cleaning

Packy
06-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Can i use STP Engine Degreaser to clean FAs?
Will it not damage the bore barrel?

ranburr
06-20-2011, 02:56 AM
I would think that it would probably be fine. It might be prudent to test it by using a small amount on a out of the way piece. A lot of people use break cleaner. Standard gun solvent works fine. I personally just mix hot water and Simple Green and let everything soak and then rinse with hot water followed by a shot of compressed air and sprayed on rust protectorate.

JV_
06-20-2011, 05:02 AM
I would not recommend Simple Green, specifically because of its pH and the potential issues it can cause with aluminum.

EVP
06-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Is there a certain reason why you want to use it as your gun cleaner?

There are plenty of good gun cleaning products that are out there that work great and are inexpensive. Personally I think the non-toxic/non-odor products clean great without all the added downsides of some of the other solvent cleaners.

LittleLebowski
06-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I use non chlorinated brake cleaner.

Al T.
06-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Can you shed some light on what you mean by FA? IME, that stands for full auto or forward assist.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works for me. Be aware that it will strip all the oil and grease off.

John Ralston
06-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Can you shed some light on what you mean by FA? IME, that stands for full auto or forward assist.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works for me. Be aware that it will strip all the oil and grease off.

I am guessing it stands for Firearms.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ga Shooter
06-20-2011, 02:17 PM

I have been using this for years with no problems. Degreaser will be fine but it takes a lot longer for the chemicals to evaporate and will not do as good. I am in the auto repair business so I use a lot of both products on a lot of different things.

ranburr
06-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I would not recommend Simple Green, specifically because of its pH and the potential issues it can cause with aluminum.

I have heard that in the past, but I have never experienced an issue with it myself. I guess the finishes that I have on my alloy guns are better than just the anodizing.

JV_
06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I guess the finishes that I have on my alloy guns are better than just the anodizing.Just be careful, alloy frame rails often show exposed aluminum .... so do mag wells.

Packy
06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Is there a certain reason why you want to use it as your gun cleaner?

There are plenty of good gun cleaning products that are out there that work great and are inexpensive. Personally I think the non-toxic/non-odor products clean great without all the added downsides of some of the other solvent cleaners.

Availability of Gunscrubber or other good Fire Arms are imported here in my place so you wont see much of it.
Just trying to use what can easily be bought here.
Brake cleaners are good.. but it has health issues to me that's why i am avoiding it.

I will just use the STP as degreaser, still will be using the HOope's for the bore and gunOIL for lube.
Thanks

Kyle Reese
06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Availability of Gunscrubber or other good Fire Arms are imported here in my place so you wont see much of it.
Just trying to use what can easily be bought here.
Brake cleaners are good.. but it has health issues to me that's why i am avoiding it.

I will just use the STP as degreaser, still will be using the HOope's for the bore and gunOIL for lube.
Thanks

Where are you located? Also, if you desire a non toxic cleaner, there are plenty of viable options M PRO 7 & Slip 2000 come immediately to mind.

Packy
06-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Clark, Philippines... They dont sell stuff like that here.

retiredman
06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't recommend anything! I would never want someone to come back and call me names and say you told me to use it.

My personal choice is: I use CRC brand from the wal-mart store of silicone spray in the Automotive Section. I use it on my Ruger P90 stainless with Hogue grips, and on my Glock 21.

I have never had any problems. It washes away the powder and brings out powder from places I didn't know was there.

It leaves a silicone film behind and for me that equates to moisture protection.

I use my own oil mixture for lubrication consisting of Blue Label 3 in 1 oil, and LE high temperature grease.

I have used this for 10 years, and show no wear anywhere that I look, with the exception of the barrel near the end of the slide at the front of the gun, and I polish it out because it is just marks not wear.

I hope everyone find the answer to their firearm lube, and cleaning situations.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Gun Scubber is non chlorinated brake cleaner. Use your head when shopping.

Not that this is going that way but stay on the thread's topic and start a lube thread if you like, folks.

peterb
06-21-2011, 01:50 PM
While researching for another hobby, I found a thread on using Pine-Sol as a degreaser for motorcycle parts:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

If you've got time to use it, it's not as nasty to humans as many of the other degreasing options.

Murphy's Law
06-21-2011, 09:09 PM
My practices may be a little different than some here but I run machine guns. I use brake cleaner to de-grease them, then automotive moly grease and automatic transmission fluid (M60) or motor oil (Browning 1919A4) to re-lube them.

I don't see why these things won't work on your firearms in a pinch, but for basic handguns and rifles, I'd probably stick with conventional cleaning chemicals if given a choice.

MechEng
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Like LL said Gun Scrubber IS non-chlorinated brake cleaner. If you look up the Material safety data sheet (MSDS) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_safety_data_sheet) for Gun Scrubber and various brake cleaners you can see they are basically the same solvent. Google is you friend here.

Some people have an issue with the “White Residue” left behind by brake cleaners or Gun Scrubber. This white residue isn’t actually from the brake cleaner itself but from the oil used to lube the firearm. The white residue is the solid particulates and/or compounds (i.e. fats, Teflon, silicon, snake oils, etc…), in your chosen lube, left over after the solvent evaporates away. It’s harmless and can be simply wiped away with your gun cleaning rag.

LittleLebowski
06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Like LL said Gun Scrubber IS non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

At twice the price, no less. Buying GunScrubber is being ripped off.

Rverdi
06-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Can i use STP Engine Degreaser to clean FAs?
Will it not damage the bore barrel?

Will it damage anything? Probably not.
Do you need it? Probably not.

For a number of years my choices in what I clean my guns with comes down to what's safest for me. There are plenty of all natural, biodegradable gun cleaning products out there that are perfectly safe to be in contact with. I can't imagine that's the case for engine degreaser and to use it in the tight confines of a gun bench seems like overkill.

Packy
06-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Will it damage anything? Probably not.
Do you need it? Probably not.

For a number of years my choices in what I clean my guns with comes down to what's safest for me. There are plenty of all natural, biodegradable gun cleaning products out there that are perfectly safe to be in contact with. I can't imagine that's the case for engine degreaser and to use it in the tight confines of a gun bench seems like overkill.

What do you use and recommend sir?

Rverdi
06-23-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm partial to Ballistol for cleaning, I've rarely encountered anything it won't effectively clean. It smells horrible but it's safe and it works.
Do a search for cleaning, there have been a few threads and lots of good info shared on this subject since the forum started up.

JV_
06-23-2011, 05:45 AM
I like Hoppes Elite (MPro7) and Slip 2000 EWL.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?431-Gun-Cleanin-Solutions&highlight=toxic

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?696-Mobile-1-as-a-lubricant&highlight=toxic

orionz06
06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
If there is that much of a concern a $30 steam gun will also work.

Packy
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm partial to Ballistol for cleaning, I've rarely encountered anything it won't effectively clean. It smells horrible but it's safe and it works.
Do a search for cleaning, there have been a few threads and lots of good info shared on this subject since the forum started up.

Thank you sir.

LittleLebowski
06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
When using non chlorinated brake cleaner, please do so outside.

Jay Cunningham
06-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Now I take issue with the part in bold.

:p

Rverdi
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Now I take issue with the part in bold.

:p

You would absolutely be the first person I've ever heard of who likes the smell of that stuff!

Buckshot
07-01-2011, 10:37 PM

We use it by the case - alot cheaper than Gunscrubber & is a VERY similar product

Kyle Reese
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I've been using Frog Lube (http://www.froglubeclp.com/about.htm) lately on my carbines and have been very impressed. Non toxic, non petroleum based and smells like wintergreen lifesavers.

I'd contact them and see if there's a way you get some.

Packy
07-02-2011, 05:05 AM
I've been using Frog Lube (http://www.froglubeclp.com/about.htm) lately on my carbines and have been very impressed. Non toxic, non petroleum based and smells like wintergreen lifesavers.

I'd contact them and see if there's a way you get some.

I will look for this stuff. Thanks