PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Use MALICE Clips for Attaching Gear to BCD for Scuba?

Erik
03-22-2014, 12:33 PM
I am a new diver. I'm pretty enthusiastic about it so I took the plunge, as it were, and bought my own BCD, regulator, etc. One of the things I am sorting through, and spending a ridiculous amount of time researching, is what to carry and how to attach it to me. My BCD has webbing loops along the shoulder straps. The loops run vertically, as opposed to horizontally like molle (i.e., the openings are on the sides, not the top and bottom), and they're larger than molle loops, but one of the thoughts I had is to use MALICE clips to attach stuff to them. For example, a molle pouch might be nice and would give me some additional carrying capacity. The sizing of the BCD's loops and shoulder straps is a little off, but it seems like this would work. Google didn't do much for me and neither did the scuba forum I searched. That may be a clue that this is a bad idea, but...I know we have a few very experienced divers here, both military and civilian, so I thought this would be a good place to ask. The other obvious question is, am I over thinking this? I could just use velcro straps through the loops and, of course, there're always cable ties, which seem to be very popular.

Thanks.

TGS
03-22-2014, 02:24 PM
First: NO, you're not overthinking this! Way too many people don't put enough attention into how they set up their gear. This routinely impacts their diving experience, and sometimes impacts their life expectancy. A dive is just way more enjoyable when your stuff is squared away and you're not fighting with your gear.

You're from CT, right?

If so, and if you'll be diving in the Northeast, I would strongly advise against this. Even in warm, clear, calm waters doing vacation style diving, it's going to be sub-optimal.

Mounting extra pouches on a BCD is going to be very bulky and tough to work with, as recreational vest type BCDs float all over the place. If they're along the shoulder straps, you won't be able to work very well with them anyway. Due to its location, it will increase the chances of entanglement if you have to blow a bag. The most preferred method among multiple disciplines/agencies is to use thigh pouches, with your items clipped to an elastic cord affixed inside the pouch...this way you just pull the cord out of the pouch, bring it into your work space, unclip what you need then stuff it back in. If you just throw stuff inside a pouch, it will float away and otherwise be impossible to manage when you open the pouch. Generally, you want little as possible clipped to the outside of you, as they are snag hazards. They also can be damaged by bumping into things, as well as damage what they bump into (coral).

So, good idea to have a pocket, but this is what you should aim for (IMO). Granted, this is a permanently affixed pocket to my drysuit, but you can also get ones that attach like a drop pouch using your waistbelt:

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q758/Finkerfuggles/pocket_zps25c023cf.jpg (http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Finkerfuggles/media/pocket_zps25c023cf.jpg.html)

The general idea is to carry as little as possible. Don't carry something unless you know exactly why you need it, and know how to use it. Refrain from buying cool stuff and bringing it along.

Where do you plan on diving?

Erik
03-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Thank you. I will look into a thigh pouch. This is going to sound flippant, but...I plan on diving everywhere I can. I really love it. Yes, I am from CT. I will dive locally and will travel to dive as time/money permits. I am going to dive for a few days in the Bahamas (Andros) in about 3 weeks and I am planning a trip to the Azores towards the end of June, which will include two or three days diving. I got certified last October in Bridgeport, CT (yay Long Island Sound in late Fall) and spent a week in Aruba right after that, with 3 days of diving. I've also done some diving in the past, but not enough, and not recently enough, to be meaningful. So, my total recent/meaningful experience is certification and 3 2-dive-a-day dives in Aruba. The upcoming trip to the Bahamas was organized by the shop I got certified through and bought most of my gear through, so one of the benefits to it is that I'll get three days worth of additional instruction and help sorting out my gear. That, and really wanting to dive again before too much time had passed, are the primary reasons for going on that trip.

TGS
03-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Awesome, dude! I envy you. Planning to dive anywhere and everywhere is a fantastic plan, IMO!

Here's a thigh pocket (http://oxycheq.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_32&products_id=216) that I own and would recommend, as long as you have a waist belt. There's probably other options that would work as well. Pockets placed on the waist belt will also work, but they tend to be smaller so some items will have trouble fitting such as lights, spools, lift-bags/safety sausages, and writing slates.

If you want to dive locally to you, let me know. I have a good friend/dive buddy from cave diving that owns Highseas Millworks, Manta Industries, maybe some other namebrands....but he lives in Coventry and also mates for the Canned Air in Rhode Island. That's an excellent crew/boat to go with.

Erik
03-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks. I was spending some time looking at thigh pockets and hadn't seen that one. The Dive Rite version seems to come up a lot. If it's OK with your friend, I'd love to get his information. The dive shop I've been dealing with organizes trips, but it would be great to get a different perspective, especially from someone in that position. I recall reading a very long time ago about some archaeological diving that was going on around Rhode Island and I'd love to get involved in that. BTW, I had no idea that company was local. That's really cool.

TGS
03-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks. I was spending some time looking at thigh pockets and hadn't seen that one. The Dive Rite version seems to come up a lot. If it's OK with your friend, I'd love to get his information. The dive shop I've been dealing with organizes trips, but it would be great to get a different perspective, especially from someone in that position. I recall reading a very long time ago about some archaeological diving that was going on around Rhode Island and I'd love to get involved in that. BTW, I had no idea that company was local. That's really cool.

Fair disclosure: The owner of Oxycheq throws an awesome post-new years party, and has a crazy 80s/MC Escher-inspired pad with a hidden game room. So, I might be biased if I recommend his products.

One of my buddies had the Dive Rite pockets and liked them. I can't say much positive about the company, and especially would not recommend their electronics and most certainly not their rebreather (yah, the machine putting itself at a po2 of 3.86 is generally what I'd call a "bad thing"), but their stuff is fairly popular in the Cave/Tech crowd. My sidemount harness is a butchered/modified Dive Rite and seems to be ok.

If you want to dive locally, I'd buy a drysuit if you haven't already. They're more than worth it, and you can comfortably dive in a drysuit in warm waters as well. They offer redundant buoyancy as well, which is a plus. In a drysuit with good gloves, I can do 70 minute run times in this area with ease. Definitely worth paying for the comfort: there's a difference between being cold while diving, and cold water diving. Rick is the US distributor for Otter Drysuits from the UK, which is the brand I would actually recommend. I was introduced to Otter suits by one of my cave instructors from the UK, Martin Robson. Excellent suits....I've got an expensive DUI, which has served me well, but my next suit is without doubt going to be an Otter.

Expensive undertaking, yes? :D But damn, it's fun. Adventure, sunshine, going somewhere remote, and cool gadgets all balled up into one hobby.

Erik
03-22-2014, 08:32 PM
That's good information about Dive Rite. Expensive is right! Although. honestly, it's no worse than a lot of other undertakings and I am beyond willing to drop the cash on gear that my life depends on. I'll look into dry suits. Unfortunately my scuba gear budget is nearly maxed out for a bit. Dammit.

Erik
03-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Any thoughts on dive shorts, as opposed to a thigh pocket? Thanks.

TGS
03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Any thoughts on dive shorts, as opposed to a thigh pocket? Thanks.

As in the X-Shorts with the integral thigh pockets?

Warm water divers speak well of them, though they tend to have a reputation of only lasting 50-100 dives before needing some amount of repair (disclaimer: I've never owned a pair). It would add some flexibility for you, as you can wear the X-Shorts by themselves in very warm water, and next weekend wear them over your 7mm suit if diving in colder water....no need to worry about if you have pockets if you rent a suit. However, it's just one more thing that could be forgotten at home, as well as one more thing you'll have to put on when gearing up...most divers with dedicated wetsuits just glue pockets on their wetsuits. Also, you wouldn't want to wear them over a drysuit if you end up getting one.

Couldn't hurt to buy them, and have them as a spare solution even if you go a different route. I don't know how many times I have either lent out or borrowed gear with divers on the same trip when one of our pieces of gear was unserviceable or forgotten. The back of my Subaru was practically a dive locker when I was diving every weekend (and it will forever have that smell).

Erik
03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I was looking at the X-Shorts and also at Irikonji (not cheap! http://www.irikonji.com/store/c/18-Irikonji-Dive-Shorts.aspx). I may pick up a pair of one or the other for the reasons you mention, plus it gives me something to put back on when I peel the wetsuit off. Everybody wants an alternative to me in a speedo.