PDA

View Full Version : Driving across the country w/ firearms - tips?

Red Leader
03-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey guys,

I'm helping downsize my parents place (Virginia) and will be acquiring several new firearms in the process. I will be driving back to Colorado. I'm trying to arm up on knowledge regarding state-to-state travel with firearms and trying to stay legal, safe and low key. Here is what I have so far:

Any firearms will be out of sight, all with trigger locks and all in a case that will also be locked.

Any ammo will be out of sight in taped moving boxes.

Is there anything else I need to know? Is there anything in FOPA that guarantees protection? I'm thinking about printing out any protection laws/clauses and keeping it with me just in case.

Any tips/advice much appreciated!

Wendell
03-20-2014, 06:45 PM
handgunlaw.us (http://handgunlaw.us) has everything you need.

Tamara
03-20-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm helping downsize my parents place (Virginia) and will be acquiring several new firearms in the process.

If you are a Colorado resident, I would strongly recommend that any firearms you acquire in Virginia be shipped to a CO FFL for you to do an official transfer there.

Federal felonies kinda suck.

ToddG
03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
A resident of one state receiving any firearm from a resident of another state, even a family member, is required to go through an FFL in his home state. This is federal law.

Any public discussion or recommendation or advice by any member of pistol-forum.com seeking to circumvent this law will be deleted and the member permanently banned from the forum.

PPGMD
03-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Obviously follow federal law on the new to you firearms.

But with the new CWP law in IL the biggest stumbling block on your trip is no longer an issue if you have a CWP you can travel through, as long as you don't stop stop, while carrying.

Red Leader
03-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. Had no idea it was so specific, even to family-related gifts, but I should have known this if I thought about it harder. Does anyone have the federal law code or section? I'd like to read up on it and educate myself. I'll definitely go through an FFL on the new ones, thank you all for clarifying that.

Several of the firearms are actually bought/owned/purchased by me, just residing here. Are they in the clear?

Is ammo still okay? (I'm thinking it is but never hurts to ask).

Glad I asked on this forum (You guys rock)

PPGMD
03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Several of the firearms are actually bought/owned/purchased by me, just residing here. Are they in the clear?

That is a good question, common sense says yes, but rarely does common sense and the law match.

Tamara
03-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. Had no idea it was so specific, even to family-related gifts. Does anyone have the federal law code or section? I'd like to read up on it and educate myself.

The only possible exemption to the transfer requirement (https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#gca-unlicensed-acquire) is via firearms left to you via bequest in a will (18 USC § 922(a)(5)(A)) and it's vague enough that I'd just go ahead and ship them to an FFL in my statge of residence because the transfer fee would be a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Several of the firearms are actually bought/owned/purchased by me, just residing here.

Did you buy these firearms while you were a resident of the state of Virginia?

Red Leader
03-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Did you buy these firearms while you were a resident of the state of Virginia?

Yep, which is one of the reasons why they are still here - just never had the chance to move them to the new house.

Tamara
03-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Yep, which is one of the reasons why they are still here - just never had the chance to move them to the new house.

An argument could be made that you had transferred possession to whomever you left them with, unless they've been inaccessible to those parties the whole time. I would avoid any possible taint of impropriety and ship them to an FFL in CO and do a transfer there.

Skullybones
03-20-2014, 09:21 PM
All good advice in this thread so far. My only advise is to stay calm if you get pulled over for having green plates.

Nephrology
03-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Hey guys,

I'm helping downsize my parents place (Virginia) and will be acquiring several new firearms in the process. I will be driving back to Colorado. I'm trying to arm up on knowledge regarding state-to-state travel with firearms and trying to stay legal, safe and low key. Here is what I have so far:

Any firearms will be out of sight, all with trigger locks and all in a case that will also be locked.

Any ammo will be out of sight in taped moving boxes.

Is there anything else I need to know? Is there anything in FOPA that guarantees protection? I'm thinking about printing out any protection laws/clauses and keeping it with me just in case.

Any tips/advice much appreciated!

I am not 100% familiar with the route you plan on taking but having just moved from CT to MN recently, my packing was pretty close to yours. All firearms and magazines unloaded, ammunition in taped cardboard boxes, firearms in padlocked hard cases.

Just glancing at a map, you shouldn't have significant problems staying in 2a friendly territory. When I drove, I crossed through NY, NJ, and IL. It was pretty hairy. While technically provided safe passage by FOPA, I wasn't going to trust Officer Friendly to know the ins and outs of federal firearms law. In states not known for their gun-friendly legal apparatus I drove straight through (at or below the speed limit) and did not stop AT ALL. This mean gassing up before and after IL, but it was well worth it. I also avoided major urban areas (NYC, CHI) for basically the same reason, squared. Additionally, I did not want to run afoul of any local legislation regarding firearms were I to break down or otherwise be stuck in a situation where I might lose my "in transit" status. Just doing a quick Google Maps assessment, it seems if you hug the southernly route they provide you with you should not have really any legal issues to worry about. Otherwise be sensible and you should be OK.

edit: Re: transfer of the firearms, I am unsure of the ins and outs of your situation, but if you do drive them back then the above applies.

Jason F
03-20-2014, 09:26 PM
...I would avoid any possible taint of impropriety and ship them to an FFL in CO and do a transfer there.

Exactly. Find an FFL who will cut you a deal on transferring a few at one time (if they will) and just pay the small price as piece of mind versus possibly running afoul of federal law. A small price to pay, but worth every cent if it were me.